Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

November 2012 - the birthplosion (thanks Peaky)

(1000 Posts)
StuntNun Tue 13-Nov-12 09:56:55
Passmethecrisps Fri 23-Nov-12 12:48:38

Oh stunt that sounds dreadful. Poor you! Are you getting the antibiotics today?

Can't help with the poo question nervous I'm afraid. We have the opposite problem in that we are sure LO hasn't pooed since Wednesday night. She is doing tiny pin-head poos but nothing of any substance at all. It's strange as she was exclusively breast milk fed util yesterday afternoon so the formula wouldn't seem to be the problem.

We are still suffering a bit from wind here but not as bad as she has been. We have her a touch of cooled boiled water last night and it seemed to settle her. She had a feed with DH at 2am and he managed to get her back in the basket sound asleep by 2:40am. Unheard of! She slept from then until 7:30! I was awake from 5:30 expecting her to wake and listening to every grunt and snuffle. It's amazing how much better everything seems though with a few hours concurrent sleep - even just rest rather than full on sleep is lovely.

I woke at one point though in a pool of my own breast milk. It is cruel irony that I appear to have mammaries capable of feeding every child on this group when my own one is utterly disinterested! I don't know if I mentioned the other day but when I had a midwife visit and took my boob out to have another go and latching her on, the midwife actually gasped and said "oh, look at they nipples! Whit great wee boobies yuv goat!" This is the 4th midwife to exclaim about the perfect nature of my rack - they will be taking pictures next! Just a shame they are going to waste. Ach well.

PetiteRaleuse Fri 23-Nov-12 13:12:14

I think bf babies can go several days without poo'ing Pass, without it being worrying constipation..

DD1 got and still gets constipated, and started at about 8 weeks, ff. I's not the length of time between bowel movements which is necessarily the worry, as long as baby seems comfortable. Things to look out for are hard poos, like rabbit droppings, or if the baby is really straining to get them out. DD1 got to a point when she was crying in pain each time before we found a decent solution.

ValiumQueen Fri 23-Nov-12 13:22:14

Oh dear stunt. Not good.

pass perhaps you should put a pic on FB? I am intrigued grin wink

YellowWellies Fri 23-Nov-12 13:29:47

Heehee pass on your perfect rack. I got told I had lovely big nipples by the HV who's just been. Was a bit blush and 'errr how nice of you to notice'. Our little man is now 8 lb 6 oz - which I am so chuffed with to say he was 6 lb 3oz and a bit when born (exactly one month ago today - can't believe I've been a Mummy for a month).

He's currently doing baby tai chi pushing out a huge turd in his bouncy chair. He has the twirliest fingers in the world I swear. and the funniest poo faces.

And as for the disappearing poos - (Pass was that you?) J has gone from 10+ poos a day to just one a day - apparently it's normal for BF babies from about a month old to do this - breast milk is so efficient that they don't have much waste to poo out - so it's quite normal from this point in to only poo once every day or even every other day.

PetiteRaleuse Fri 23-Nov-12 13:36:44

I was just saying yesterday hw DD1 smiled properly at around 5 weeks. LO is five weeks today and I was rewarded for a shitty night with a big gummy smile this morning.. And the first smile was for me, not MIL, this time smile

Makes it all worth it...

Just got to get her to do it for the camera now.

I have been reading/lurking for a few weeks now but just not had the will to post anything. Things are starting to settle down and I am feeling more human now.

Have had a horrible 8 weeks since giving birth and I hope our bad luck is over now and we can start being a proper family.

The girls are 8 weeks old tomorrow and are lovely, I adore them. We have had our fair share of drama and I am well know at the hospital.
The night we brought them home, one of the girls choked on Infacol (which the neo natal nurses put her on), we had to call an ambulance. The outcome was that being prem, the muscle near her stomach was not strong enough to cope with the stringy Infacol, she brought it up and it got stuck. It was scary but the ambulance was here within 5 minutes. Thank God I had a some idea of what to do with my basic pediatric first aid training. My other daughter failed her hearing test in one ear so we had to take her back to the hospital for a 2 hour hearing test. All clear and normal now but I had to worry about it for 3 weeks before the second test. They automatically do hearing tests on prem babies. I was in town having the girls passport photos taken and one of the babies turned bright red and looked like she could breath. My blood ran cold while I lifted her out the pushchair and blew into her face trying to encourage her to take a breath. She did eventually but I got the fright of my life. I took her to A&E and they admitted her for 2 days to monitor her, she was 5 weeks old at the time. They thought she may have had some sort of fit but the tests they did came back clear. All ok since, thankfully. I haven't escaped the bad luck either. I have had 3 sets of antibiotics since my c section because of infection, one side of the cut has never healed (called granulation, apparently) and is STILL, 8 weeks later, oozing and open! No smell though. I have had countless doctors appointments about it. It then tunneled into a tennis ball sized abscess on my stomach that I had to have cut and squeezed! I have visited A&E twice for my gall stone attacks and had morphine drips. Last week I had my gall bladder out. Today I am going back to the doctors about my cut. I have had a few meltdowns with the stress and worry. I stopped breast feeding because of all the medication I am taking. This is not how I pictured my first experiences of motherhood to be.

Sorry about epic post.

Fed fed fed up.

PetiteRaleuse Fri 23-Nov-12 14:00:33

OMG (((hugs))) gardenpixies, what a horrible few weeks you've had. Do you have RL support? Do feel free to come and rant on here whenever you need to. Hope you feel better about things soon.

GTbaby Fri 23-Nov-12 14:49:31

garden massive hugs. Sounds like a crazy start. But things will get better.

Getting my first pedicure in 7 weeks. N got my eyebrows threaded.
Going to try do my nails myself later. Do t have time to get then done as well sad. Want to look nice for my bday celebration tomorrow. I'm sure ill b covered in Pyle before I leave the house!
Need to pack a bag for LO. It will b our first outting.

Q. It's going to be quite loud at the bday dinner. Music playing. How can I protect LO ears? I've seen baby headphone things. But only from 3months plus.

GTbaby Fri 23-Nov-12 15:13:51

Pyle= puke lol.

StuntNun Fri 23-Nov-12 15:34:02

Oh Garden what a terrible run of bad luck to have. I'm glad to hear you're feeling more positive now; it sounds like you have coped well though - no wonder you've had a few meltdowns. I hope everything is going much more smoothly for you now.

YellowWellies Fri 23-Nov-12 15:37:35

Jeez garden! I'd have been sectioned by now! You're amazing! Hope things get better and better for you all xxx

ValiumQueen Fri 23-Nov-12 16:19:55

garden hopefully that is your excitement over until at least teens! Wow. Big hugs, and welcome back x

DS is 10lb 7 at 4 weeks. Very chuffed. Funny to think that DD2 was just 4 oz lighter at birth.

Mum is calling DS pigling bland. Charming.

kirrinIsland Fri 23-Nov-12 16:44:57

Hugs pixie - hopefully your run of bad luck is over now .

Sophia i also have a tick in the paranoid mother box - i took N into the docs today for the same reason.

StuntNun Fri 23-Nov-12 16:55:12

I have antibiotics at last (DH had to prod the doctor to write the urgent prescription from 11 this morning.) Hopefully they start working right away and I don't come out in huge hives this time.

J has been having two-hour marathon feeding sessions today. He's 8 days so I assume this is the dreaded growth spurt? DS2 came home with a new baby card that everyone in the school had signed! That was really lovely of them.

YellowWellies Fri 23-Nov-12 17:15:19

VQ I'm calling Jonas Pigling Bland <bad mummy emoticon> blush

kissyfur Fri 23-Nov-12 17:27:50

stunt sorry to hear about your scar sad that's bad luck. Hope you heal soon

garden you poor thing that sounds dreadful, I'd of been at my wits end. I really hope things start to improve for you now

I went for my first walk out after the section today. Needed to get a nursing bra as ones from when I had DD1 were too small. Think I over did it, tummy hurt a lot, won't be walking that far again for a while!

Thanks for the advice about not stooping when walking petit tried to walk tall today but could really feel scar pulling

ValiumQueen Fri 23-Nov-12 17:28:30

YW I have been calling Jacob Dobby blush

ValiumQueen Fri 23-Nov-12 17:33:20

kissy how many days are you?

I took the monster pram out today with DD1 walking, DD2 and DS asleep in the pram. I felt very fertile grin I am thinking of attaching knives to the wheels like in Ben Hur (joking obviously) as the pavements at school run were very full. I stupidly thought people might actually make way for a fully loaded pram, but no. It is excellent for my steps up to the house. My mum nearly had a fit though as she was convinced the babies would fall out.

blonderthanred Fri 23-Nov-12 17:36:24

garden that sounds like an awful time. You have been fantastic to deal with it all and keep your babies safe. I hope that is your share of drama over and you can start to enjoy motherhood in the way you were hoping.

ValiumQueen Fri 23-Nov-12 17:38:16

blonder how is your boys weight these days? (Feel free to tell me to sod off) just curious as they are practically twins.

Hello everyone!

Have only just had time to come over to this thread since baby Zara arrived on Sunday!

Born at 38+3 weighing 6lb 7.5oz. Was weighed day 3 at 6lb 4oz. MW came and weighed today and she is now a whopping 6lb 14oz shock Quite a massive step being only day 5 right?!

Have been finding her really hard to wind so brought some infacol and givin water between feeds since yesterday, and its working an absolute treat!

YellowWellies Fri 23-Nov-12 17:49:17

Dobby! BRILLIANT!

Ouch to all you CS ladies with scar issues - hope they get well soon x

Oh and for everyone using infacol, make sure you give 2 squirts. It caught me out! But takes two squirts to fill the thing.

ValiumQueen Fri 23-Nov-12 17:53:32

Hello charlee. That is indeed a good weight gain. Are you BF or FF?

YW I only started watching Harry Potter since Jacob was born (yes, I know I am a freak) he did look like Dobby in the first few days. Looking more like Jabba now.

FF, VQ if you asked me why, I couldnt give you any explanation other than 'its just not for me'

Fair play to everyone who is though smile

This thread is not accepting new messages.