Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

October 2012 babies part 2: winding, yawning and grizzling, and first smiles?

(1000 Posts)
YompingJo Tue 13-Nov-12 05:20:10

Part 2: in which our babies learn to sleep through the night and make us tea in the morning <hopeful face>

smileyhappymummy Mon 26-Nov-12 14:32:07

Baby smiley still doing ok, much less lethargic than yesterday and giving us some smiles again. Now has a venflon in and having iv antibiotics, they are going to try lp again tomorrow but not today. Reading and thinking of everyone but phone too slow to reply sorry

Midgetm Mon 26-Nov-12 16:10:41

Great news smiley hope she keeps on improving like that.

beeble I would in certain circumstances. Think it is very healthy as baby gets more of the mothers antibodies or something like that. hmm but still can't help thinking I'd be a bit weirded out by it.

bella2012 Mon 26-Nov-12 17:17:05

squid don't stop posting encouraging things!! You are an inspiration.

livvy you poor poor thing. It is just so relentless for you, I feel so sorry for you. You are doing so well. This is the worst part, you have so much to look forward to, believe me. There is a wonderful little person there that you haven't had the pleasure of getting to know yet. Once she stops screaming (and she WILL one day!) there will be a time when she smiles at you instead, and after that all kinds of adventures when she can move and crawl and then when she can shat to you and sing and make you laugh. Hang on to the thought that however hideous this bit is, and I can well imagine how desperate you must feel, there are years and years of brilliant family things to look forward to. My ds1 is so excited for Christmas, the whole thing has become so exciting for our whole family. The worls throug the eyes of a three year old is a wonder to behold. These awful awful weeks WILL NOT go on forever. Keep doing the brilliant job you are doing and they will be bahind you eventually. All love to you xx

bella2012 Mon 26-Nov-12 17:18:49

so sorry for spectacular typos there! Including shat instead of chat!! Ooooops!

hufflepuffle Mon 26-Nov-12 18:00:37

Shat had me choking on my apple!!!! Brilliant Bella!!

Just checking in to read and say hello, too much going on avec moi today, bit stressed.

Smiley so relieved things r improving. Hope you are ok

Xx

Angelico Mon 26-Nov-12 19:46:30

Quick wave and run, my first free mins today but Smiley so happy baby Smiley doing better and Squid hope jabs went well with Jess! smile

And 4 weeks is shit!!! 5-6 weeks got easier for me, friend today said for her it was more like 7-8 weeks so hang in there x

So glad minismiley is doing better, I hope things continue to improve.

Londonmrss You are brilliant. I actually offered to do the same thing the other day due to the champagne i drank grin

Flashbacks from the birth and the hideous aftermath are starting to hit me now. I cried, and cried, and cried on DP (the same night I offered him a blow, I think he was a bit put off after!) and have felt a bit subdued for a few days. I keep remembering the wondering feeling if I was ever going to see them both again. It was horrible.
I am going to get myself booked in for a full body massage, a haircut and some pampering I think. DP has banned any visitors on Wednesday, turning off our phones and we are going to go out for lunch and spoil the dog rotten and just have a loved up, family day together. I'm definately doing too much.

Pippa has had some awful, awful, screaming fits the last couple of days. Its horrendous. The sound of it cuts through me like a knife and it makes me cry and feel rubbish that I can't comfort her. (The first couple of times were in the car and so couldn't do anything until we got there). My mum helped me today because I couldn't get any wind out of her but she was so, so distressed. (Mum managed though, so that was good). I have conceded defeat and given Pippa infacol to try and settle it. And also trying to feed her little and often as she seems to guzzle it all, has too much and throws it back up. I didn't really want to give her medicine but the screaming is horrible and so, so upsetting. DP keeps reminding me that we need to try and let her cry a little bit, otherwise things will be a bit difficult in the future. I agree with him but it still is a bit hard to bear.

Otherwise she is still a beautiful baby. I have to remind myself (as my Gramp pointed out today) that we are a bit spoiled as she is so good, and rarely ever cries and she is only a week old. This week I will definately be taking it easier!

Sorry that post was so self-absorbed. I hope you are all doing ok. Xxxx

Hope Jess' jabs went well Squid! Pip didn't cry when she had her heel spot test either- hardcore like her Mum!

YompingJo Mon 26-Nov-12 23:19:07

smiley, have been reading and keeping fingers crossed for you. Glad things seem to be getting better. Do they know what the problem is?

One very grizzly, windy baby here today... she's been awake since 4 and it's now gone 11. Lots of Infacol given and she just might be starting to drift off now. Think this might be an early 6 week growth spurt but also suspect I might be having a rematch with mastitis, having aches and twinges. Perfect timing... have drunk loads of water and fed on that side as much as possible.

Stressful times too as my dad is in hospital, he has dvt, and a very swollen leg. After a scan confirmed there were 2 clots in his thigh, they then did a scan of his abdomen and told him there were clots and "a large mass of something" around his kidneys, leading us all to shit ourselves that something was massively wrong, but then a second scan showed everything was fine. Nobbers, scaring us like that. But he still has dvt, the swelling could take up to 4 months!!! to go down and might never go down completely. My dad climbs, walks, goes mountaineering - this has hit him really hard sad. Thank goodness for Alice who is a little mini ray of light giving everyone in my family something to be joyful about at the moment.

We are getting some proper smiles now. Weigh in tomorrow.

Waves to everyone, wishing you all (especially Livvy) a peaceful night.

bella2012 Mon 26-Nov-12 23:59:07

come on little fella! It is night time now- lets have some shut eye ey?

lisbethsopposite Tue 27-Nov-12 00:07:55

Mikey - feeling mopey here too. DH away with work. Will be back late tomorrow night and has stuff he has to do Sat.
Not sure if that's what's bugging me.
Missing Elpis and Fjordmor and others... but you two had health stuff. I hope you are ok ..

londonlivvy Tue 27-Nov-12 07:24:32

smiley so glad to hear baby doing better. I have ordered an under arm thermometer but hope never to need it.

beeble if my sister were ill or something and happened to be breastfeeding at the same time as me, I would certainly offer. And she would probably accept. But I don't think I'd offer just for more sleep. And I can't see me offering to a sister in law. Though this s all totally theoretical as my sisters and his ss have much older kids and no desire for more.

bella thank you yet agin for your really helpful words of positivity and helping me to see why we re going through all this. I was touched and encouraged. Hope your little un gave you some sleep in the end.

yomping thank you for positive thoughts. Sorry to hear re your dad. I hope the four months is a pessimistic estimate?

mickey sorry to hear about the screaming. I sympathise. Sounds a bit like reflux.

We had mat nurse mk1 (the lovely one from the village) round yesterday afternoon for a couple of hours and I quizzed her for advice on sleep and reflux. She recommended a special formula from aptimil. She reckoned some o f the night settling (or rather not settling) could be due to cold as I'd been only putting on the regulation layers and when sore she's been kicking out of swaddle and sheet. Anyway, she came up with the suggestion of swaddling even the arms in (which dd doesn't like, normally, but seemed to accept the fait accompli when being shushed and soothed). Result was a much better night. Slept from 730-10 then 1130 til 230 then 430 til 530. It takes hours to feed and wind her. Mat nurse suggested the special formula would be qucker to consume and less windy and we have to do bottles anyway cos of gaviscon. Humn. Mat nurse mk2 comes tonight.

smileyhappymummy Tue 27-Nov-12 08:08:56

Back to newborn type regime here! 2 hourly feeds and 6 dirty nappies overnight but at least she is feeding. Think antibiotics upsetting her tummy but neve r mind. Temp down so that's fab.
Livvy glad night a little better I think you're having a really tough time and you're coping so well though I bet it doesn't feel like it sometimes. And every day is a day closer to things getting easier.
Yomp ing hope your dad is ok, scary time, really pleased to hear about good scan. He should have or be getting some compression stockings, encourage him to wear them coz they do help the swelling.
Bella hope you got some sleep
LisBeth hugs for you hope you feel a bit brighter today.
Micky please be kind to yourself, when I was recovering from dd1s birth (sepsis + 7 litre pph) used to get spells of tearfulness really unexpectedly. Lots of cuddles needed.
Noone really sure what's wrong with baby smiley, treating as meningitis as can't really rule it out without lumbar puncture. Sigh.

Midgetm Tue 27-Nov-12 08:31:25

Sending flowers to baby smiley. Nobody wants to see a baby that small so poorly. I know hugs aren't really allowed on MN but in this case is am sending one for both of you anyway.

squidkid Tue 27-Nov-12 09:03:51

smiley thinking if you and sending all my love, poor baby smiley. sounds like she's improving. is dd1 doing ok? thinking if you all

livvy it sounds really tough, hang in there, you are doing so well and will hopefully be out the worst of it v soon. i think baby squid sleeps better warmer too. hope you get some good rest when mat nurse there tonight. are you still doing the feeds when she is there, how does it work?
thinking of you and really hope tjhings turn a corner soon.

beeblebear i totally would feed another baby / let someone feed jess but i am a bit of a hippy .... i think most people would be very weirded out. tell you what, i'll offer to my sis-in-law and let you know the reaction!

mickey Not selfabsorbed at all, takes time to process these things and sounds like your birth was very scary. Mine was not scary, and I was still shaky for a couple of weeks afterwards remembering how hard I found it. I think your plan of lots of treats is brilliant! Be nice to yourself, eh.
Oh, and GET ALL THE HELP YOU CAN for the first few weeks. (A friend told me to "chain my mother to the radiator" when I said I thought I was coping ok in the first few days!)

bella you are always so kind and thoughtful, thank you for keep[ing this forum so positive

Jabs were fine yesterday and jess has been her usual self since (though screamed her head off before them which made me very flustered with the nurse). She got weighed again and is now 10lb 6oz -3 and a half lb up from birth. She has started gurgling and cooing at me which is lovely.

My dad is coming today - just for a day then off to see t'other new baby in the family - he is not like my mum in terms of usefulness (e.g. he "doesn't do nappies" hmm) but he does hypnotise babies singing them folk songs in his low voice, so. It will be nice to see him, anyway.

smileyhappymummy Tue 27-Nov-12 09:08:18

Back to newborn type regime here! 2 hourly feeds and 6 dirty nappies overnight but at least she is feeding. Think antibiotics upsetting her tummy but neve r mind. Temp down so that's fab.
Livvy glad night a little better I think you're having a really tough time and you're coping so well though I bet it doesn't feel like it sometimes. And every day is a day closer to things getting easier.
Yomp ing hope your dad is ok, scary time, really pleased to hear about good scan. He should have or be getting some compression stockings, encourage him to wear them coz they do help the swelling.
Bella hope you got some sleep
LisBeth hugs for you hope you feel a bit brighter today.
Micky please be kind to yourself, when I was recovering from dd1s birth (sepsis + 7 litre pph) used to get spells of tearfulness really unexpectedly. Lots of cuddles needed.
Noone really sure what's wrong with baby smiley, treating as meningitis as can't really rule it out without lumbar puncture. Sigh.

smileyhappymummy Tue 27-Nov-12 09:16:49

Sorry all didn't mean to post twice stupid phone! Midget hugs are appreciated and squid glad jabs went ok!

crazypaving Tue 27-Nov-12 10:39:34

Oh God, I'm stuck inside with a broken down car on my birthday, it's pissing down with rain and the RAC are swamped.

<cries>

Feeling very sorry for myself, both DS's driving me batty. Just actually went for a poo with DS2 in sling whilst DS1 tried to climb on my lap so I would read him a story. Today can fuck off.

Midgetm Tue 27-Nov-12 11:14:16

Dear today, please can you fuck the fuck off crazy has had enough already. Thank you very much midget

flowers for crazy. Not being able to pooh in peace is just wrong.

Orenishii Tue 27-Nov-12 11:22:23

Hi all smile

It's been so lovely reading this thread after being with some of you on the ante natal/pregnancy threads. You all sound like you and your babies are coming along wonderfully!

Can I ask a question? DS is now 4 weeks old and it's been a right rollercoaster...things can change so quickly, up and down, up and down...some days I feel completely confident, other days I can't shake the feeling I should be doing something...like I am letting him sleep too much, like I should be doing things with him. I have no idea what to expect, what expectations are on me, if that makes sense?

We had a hard time feeding and gaining weight, but that's all good now - last weigh in was last Monday and he was 9lb 7, from 9lb 2. We're very much led by him in terms of feeding and keeping him with us in the evening and taking him up when we go to bed, but I have been introducing sleep time cues - bath, massage, change into bedtime babygro etc. We've had some ups and downs with sleep but generally his last feed is around 12/12.30 and then 3.30/4 and 7/7.30.

But I dunno...I just can't shake this feeling I'm not doing things right. I am not very good at winding and all I seem to be able to do for him is feed him, cuddle him, take him out for walks - and not much else! Should I be doing more for him???

having a crisis of confidence, I think smile

hufflepuffle Tue 27-Nov-12 12:26:40

Och Crazy. Shitty shitty day ( no pun intended... X!!)

To wish you a Happy Birthday [cake emoticon] seems a bit pointless but the sentiments are true! Sincerely hope day improves and you get some time without one or other child attached! Honestly, think my poor DS will be an only child...

hufflepuffle Tue 27-Nov-12 12:31:04

Orenishi, me too. Totally feckin clueless. 6 weeks tmrw. No idea. Think he sleeps too much but if not sleeping or feeding, mostly cross!! Some interaction now, was great about 10 days ago, but now been mega cross again for days!! Assuming growth spurt as opposed to grumpy whinging little git and still waiting for smiles!!

So welcome back to the mad house, we all in it together!
X

hufflepuffle Tue 27-Nov-12 12:33:29

Smiley good news, glad DD improving. Cannot believe you replying to all, you are amazing!! Hope DD1 ok too xx

hufflepuffle Tue 27-Nov-12 13:25:39

Can I ask advice please? We still only bathing DS weekly. I'm considering starting more often now to try to give more routine. He has quite an oily scalp. On bath day his hair looks q fair and soft but next day it is darker and scalp v slightly oily, becomes more as days go on

Think it better to wash hair more often or keep it weekly only?? Afraid of washing away good oils but wary leaving oil on will encourage problems??

See, clueless mum alert. blush

Orenishii Tue 27-Nov-12 15:02:15

huffle in the nicest possible way, I'm so glad you're clueless too!

See the bathing thing is just one example of not having a clue. I've read about people that bathe their baby every day, and then the Baby Centre say to do it once a week and I feel like shouting - someone, please, just give me a definite answer!

FWIW huffle, I was doing it once a week and have just recently this week done it every night to get him used to water and some kind of nightly routine.

This thread is not accepting new messages.