Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

October 2012 babies part 2: winding, yawning and grizzling, and first smiles?

(1000 Posts)
YompingJo Tue 13-Nov-12 05:20:10

Part 2: in which our babies learn to sleep through the night and make us tea in the morning <hopeful face>

crazypaving Sat 24-Nov-12 19:15:50

squid also bear in mind that (only anecdotally I'm sure) a lot of women hold on to a bit of body fat (often in unusual places) whilst they're breastfeeding. I've spoken to loads of people who have only lost the last half stone or so when they've stopped feeding. Guess it's a protection mechanism to make sure you have enough fat for the baby or something. Seriously, go easy on yourself.

lisbethsopposite Sat 24-Nov-12 21:30:13

Yomping - i have something like this

http://m.marksandspencer.com/mt/www.marksandspencer.com/M-S-Woman-Cardigan-Dressing/dp/B002ZZQY80?ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_18&nodeId=43314030&sr=1-18&qid=1353792484&pf_rd_r=1FQYJM92QFMWSZYQ31VG&pf_rd_m=A2BO0OYVBKIQJM&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_i=0&pf_rd_p=321381407&pf_rd_s=center-3

lisbethsopposite Sat 24-Nov-12 21:32:27

Did that work??

Squid thanks for lol moment at your test.
Llivvy keep getting help in RL.

LoopyLa Sat 24-Nov-12 21:36:08

Zara I was the same! Put on over 4 stone too! I'm not breastfeeding and can't walk anywhere so feeling a bit sad over possibility of weightloss at the moment. Hopefully things will improve soon!

lisbethsopposite Sat 24-Nov-12 21:41:35

Woolybob i think that advice is a bit off but i am not knowledgable enough to advise. I agree with midget... Feed more often. But there are experts around mn who would give good advice

lisbethsopposite Sat 24-Nov-12 21:45:23

Mickey - delighted you have dtd. Sympathy on dramatic parts, crappy really, especially blood loss. Thank God for modern medicine

lisbethsopposite Sat 24-Nov-12 22:08:00

Angelico glad you are better.
Squid - Love your body for the wonderful job it did and is still doing.

Beeblebear Sat 24-Nov-12 22:36:00

Squid... Hate to be the bearer of the reality check.. But you may never fit into your pants again. During pregnancy your hips spread to make room for baby to come out and they dont go back. So.pants not fitting may have NOTHING to do with weight at all. I encourage you to go buy some new fab skinny pants that fit and be happy looking great in your new clothes! I did that this week after going through all my clothes and only finding 1 pair that fit. While the actual shopping was a bit depressing, i actually feel much better this week as i can leave the house in something that isnt a sweat pant.

Fyi. Started pre preg at 132 lb by end was 170 and am now back down to about 148. But i figure about 8lb of what is left is in my boobs ;-)

Zara1984 Sat 24-Nov-12 23:20:11

loopy I know what you mean, I had pinned my weight loss hopes on breastfeeding!! sad Given how much DS eats, I reckon I'd have been back in my pre-preg clothes already grin

Although I am hoping will naturally lose a bit more weight in the next month or so before i try get back to exercise. Barely getting time to feed myself these days as babba-care is all-

Zara1984 Sat 24-Nov-12 23:20:23

All-consuming!

lisbethsopposite Sun 25-Nov-12 04:18:29

Awake since 2.30. Thought we would do a quick feed as per. Nooo.
Massive (leaky) poo meant FULL change, vest etc. First ever night change. Then nose clean - big snot. Then he kept waking himself after I had got him back to sleep. So now he is asleep and swaddled, full belly, clean bum. He can't wake... right...<fear emoticon>
Beautiful face though

smileyhappymummy Sun 25-Nov-12 04:52:00

Not having much fun here. Baby smiley up at midnight with temp of 39. Admitted to paediatric Ward and temp come down, hope it stays down or shell be having bloods lumbae puncture and iv antibiotics. She's sleeping on my knee. Worried about her and so tired too.

Oh no smiley. I hope she gets better soon.

So noone told me i would go through breast pads so quickly i need about 4 bras a day which i dont even own ive even had to put a spare top in the change bag for me because i keep leaking through, and ive doubled up on breastpads!! It gets better right? I wont be walking aroubd in a soggy bra forever????

Also.. Anyone got a really effective way of winding? Pip gets really bad hiccups and wind and she gets really distressed but i just cant get it out of her :-(

Beccus Sun 25-Nov-12 05:19:41

Oh smiley, wish her better and you some rest. squid, like u, i lost about 4 stone in my early 20's and kept moat if it off. always worried how i'd manage the pregnancy weight gain. put on at least 3 stone ( didnt weigh myself at the end) and am still in pregnancy clothes, old clothes dont fit :-( weight loss is pretty hard, am hoping it gets easier after 6 weeks when hopefully nite feeds ( and snacks for mummy) will be less. sleep deprivation not good for weight loss either. respect for anyone shagging. i will miss my boobs when i am finally ready to dtd- they feel like udders now rather than nicely sensitive sexy fun bags. we had 14 hr grizzleathon the day before yesterday with the milk monster only.having occasional naps, but then slept well yesterday....is it nornal for a 4 week old to be up for 14 hrs wiyhout a proper nap?

hufflepuffle Sun 25-Nov-12 05:27:02

Oh Smiley that is horrible, love to you both xx

bella2012 Sun 25-Nov-12 06:28:33

poor you smiley. Hope all is well? Let us know.. Thinking of you xxx

beccus Will does that too. So,times I wonder how the heck he can stay awake that long!

OctoberOctober Sun 25-Nov-12 06:32:21

smiley lots of positive thoughts to you and bean, it is so worrying being in the ward at that time, been there too when LO 4 days old. You are in best place, they win't take any chances with young baby.

OctoberOctober Sun 25-Nov-12 06:37:42

Anyone using a grobag yet? I am sick of these tangled blankets and suspect bean is too. Need to dig out bag but always feel like they can't be warm enough at 2.5 tog. Gro have just brought out 3.5 version which I might get, think bean feels the cold like me. confused

Also, is there a reason shouldn't be using baby Bjorn with these littlelies? Says suitable from birth but thought I heard they wrren't great for newborns.

smileyhappymummy Sun 25-Nov-12 07:08:14

Temp up at 37.7.... they will just observe unless over 38. She hasn't let me put her down all night. So tired. Almost wish her temp would do one thing or the other, hate the uncertainty.

Midgetm Sun 25-Nov-12 07:53:17

Smiley any news in baby smiley? M sending come down you bastard temperature vibes. Poor baby smiley too small for this business.

October I use grobags and a baby born - both seem fine. No idea you werent supposes to use then blush. but master midge is a bruiser and holds his neck up well already.

mickey by bra problem is vomit. The leaking calms down a bit but still catches me by surprise sometimes

Got to go, DC1 needs feeding and sticking in front of Matilda....

londonlivvy Sun 25-Nov-12 08:00:41

Oh smiley. Poor you. Hope things stabilize soon. So stressful.

October, the tog required depends on the temperature in the room. I remember some theory that babies have to be more than a certain weight before they can use them. Can't remember where I got that idea from. Same with baby bjorn. Think they need to be more than 8lb7.

Thanks for thinking of me, liesbeth. Chuckled at your nighttime poomageddon. Hasnt happened to us yet but sure it will. All still v unsettled here with quite a lot of screaming. Did get her to sleep in her Moses basket between midnight and four (with a feed at 230) which isn't too bad. Though clearly I still feel like crap. My mother, bless her, has offered to contribute to the cost of a mat nurse since she can't help in person. So I hope we can have her once or twice a week til MIL arrives for Xmas.

Mickey, not sure which brand of breast pad you are using but I find avent way more absorbive than sainsburys. You could also use breast shields?

WantAnOrange Sun 25-Nov-12 08:48:32

October Is BabyBjorn the one where their legs dangle down? The reason you shouldn't use them is that they are bad for baby's hips and spine. A sling where the legs come out the sides and wrap around you, or for very little ones, where they are in the foetal postition are much better. I may be getting the grobag out soon though, it's chilly now and Arty always wriggles out of her blankets and doesn't like being swaddled.

Smiley Hope things get better soon. Good that temp is coming down at least.

Squid Totally get where you are coming from. I didnt expect to feel so crap about my body second time round (I knew what was coming after all!) I shouldn't complain, but people keep commenting on how skinny I am already and that I'm back in pre-pregnancy clothes and it just makes me feel uncomfortable and like a bit of a fraud. I look nothing like my pre-pregnancy self. I look like a deflated balloon. I have stretch marks on my legs, stomach and breasts. I still have a very dark line down my belly. My skin looks wrinkled and old (I'm 23!). I have very little control over my bladder blush. DH keeps suggesting we DTD but I feel sick at the thought. On top of that, the comments actually make me feel guilty, do people think I'm slim just to make them feel bad or something? The 'skinny cow' comments are getting a bit tiring. To top that off, I have gained weight since giving birth!

blush that was a bit self absorbed wasn't it?! I think my point is that you are not alone!

Midgetm Sun 25-Nov-12 08:58:12

Orange think I've gained since birth too.... blush

Midgetm Sun 25-Nov-12 09:09:11

And people keep saying I look the same when I can't get into my old clothes. sad

Feel quite determined to loose it all but your body does need a bit of padding for BF and it also makes me eat like a beast.

Baby Bjorn Is for babies 8lb and up but isn't great for using for too long because of the leg thing. I thought circulation but may also be spine too. I don't use it for long though so think its fine.

Grobags are ok for over 7lb 7 so we've been using them for ages and I would have thought 2,5 is fine unless your house is freezing. (and depending on what they wear underneath). I am also going to try the suits they have in Mothercare that are like grobags but in suit version.

Zara1984 Sun 25-Nov-12 09:35:12

Oh no smiley! Hope things stabilise for your DD soon and you can go home!

Baby Bjorns - yes have heard about the spine/hips thing. However DS way prefers it (borrowed one we had bought for a friend) to the Moby! He just can't seem to get comfortable in a soft wrap. Will be using Baby Bjorn for airport/plane etc this week - way easier to deal with & get on and off than a fabric wrap. When I get to NZ will try again with the Moby!

This thread is not accepting new messages.