Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

The other October 2012 baby thread!

(357 Posts)

Sorry for lack of witty title! 4 days post c-section = lack of sense of humour grin

LoopyLa Wed 24-Oct-12 19:47:07

Marking place, thank god I've found you!

Day 4 and feeling like everything feels so hard, this parenting malarkey is such a roller coaster! Baby Loopy is finding hard to settle in cot, preferring to sleep on DHs very cosy chest instead - any tips?

The other issue is that now we're home, he doesn't want to latch. Cue 13 hours of no feeding & slightly dehydrated/jaundiced baby sad Had to do an emergency run for formula this morning which he's taken to but I'm concerned going back to breast will be all the more tougher. Got a BF counsellor popping over tomorrow.

I'm trying to be kinder to myself but just want to find a dark corner to cry in...

pinpan Wed 24-Oct-12 19:57:44

Loopy, is baby loopy sleeping in a big cot or a crib/bassinet/basket? Our womble barely slept the first night home, and the midwife suggested it was because the bassinet seemed so huge. We put a rolled up towel around the sides and bottom to make it much more snuggly, barely bigger than her, and it made all the difference in the world. Had to take it out last week because she is so huge now! I'm off to a family centre with sleep/settling experts today so I will share any gems that I learn when I get home. Good luck with the latching. smile

newtonupontheheath Wed 24-Oct-12 21:02:21

Found you!

It's taken me all evening to read the thread so far... blush

I left the house when DD was 4 days old. Was already running round like a crazy person as per usual then at home but, strangely, still found that I bled really heavily after going out. And that was only a walk round the supermarket.

Since then, we've been all over. DD and I went out alone today for the first time grin Nipped to the sainsburys toy sale and to visit a family friend.

Loopy For the first couple of nights I slept propped up on the sofa (sitting up position with feet on the footstool) with a duvet and DD sleeping on my chest. Not advised by professionals I'm sure but we all had lots of sleep. A few days further in and she now sleeps in both her Moses basket and pram carrycot. It doesn't last long smile but it is hard... But worth it.

With DS, I found the next few weeks the hardest. With the first rush of visitors gone, DH back at work... Real life sets in and newborns are lovely but they don't do much. Once DD starts sming, I'll be reassured that I am doing everything right!

EmptyCrispPackets Wed 24-Oct-12 21:41:56

I was out of bed after 4/5 hours as little one was in scbu and I needed to see her and manoeuvring a wheelchair about the place was too tricky, and painful.

I was in for a week and mobilised well whilst in, and have been out and about since being home. I even managed the 2 mile round school run Tuesday. I have recovered much easier after this cs than the previous 2, no swelling, no pain after a few days really just the uncomfortable feeling when getting on / off bed.

I do have to keep reminding myself not to do too much, as I don't want to be set back. Plus I'm a midwife and should now better! grin

EmptyCrispPackets Wed 24-Oct-12 21:44:48

Loopy have you tried skin to skin to help with the feeding? I'm assuming your milk has come in, you can always drip some milk into his mouth to keep him hydrated too. Are you feeling engorged at all?

Ooh a MW on the thread...how useful grin

Been up and about a bit more today...might try going outsie tomorrow! MW came today for our 5 day check...Theo just a pound under his birth weight which is reassuring.

Ooh post natal thread how lovely!! Not sure what to suggest loopy. Do I have a bf counsellor u can access to talk to about it? I know they're supposed to be fantastic.
Currently feeding baby elvis in our own bed at home. It's lovely. After 4 days in hospital it's nice to relax and do it properly and she is def feeding better. MW visiting today up check weight so FX and thanks to all of u that helped me on FB it was so reassuring.
We are loving having her here and DH is obsessed as he missed out while we were in hospital. Hope everyone is enjoying the snugly newborn cuddles

pinpan Thu 25-Oct-12 06:40:24

Sleep peeps said today the key to settling in the cot/crib etc is how you put them down. Hug them across your chest lying sideways, head almost in your armpit (bound to put them to sleep grin), nice n tight. When they are calm, put them down gently, keeping them sideways and maintaining the hug on front and back with your arms. Keep them there a while, then gently roll them onto their backs and do some more patting. Then tuck in, and jiggle/pat as necessary. Avoiding going straight from a hug to lying on backs is supposed to help. Of course, the womble behaved perfectly while in public...

...However, she did do some massive spilling after waking up and eating (and made me cry), and the nurse says she has a tongue tie which can cause the gag reflex and hence all the spillage and unsettledness. Quite annoyed that no one has spotted this before as I've been saying for 4 weeks that she spills heaps, even though she's gaining weight well. My boobs have been sore the last week or so, and I get white nipples that are slightly lopsided after a feed so it all makes perfect sense. I should have complained more but the soreness has only been recent. Being referred to a lactation consultant now but I don't know how long it'll take to get anything seen/done. Lots of our feeding times feel a bit like a battle at the moment, which isn't great for bonding. sad

babybrain3 Thu 25-Oct-12 07:32:18

Hi everyone!!

I didnt really get out for a few days after I had ds, prob more due to laziness though than anything else. Dp did the school run etc. After a few days though I did start to feel a bit like a prisoner...

Ds is 7 wks now.. I know he's not technically an oct baby, but have been with you all so far, hope you don't mind if I stay??

We had our 6am check yesterday, William passedwith flying colours, and I am booked in to get another coil put in... Anyone dtd yet?? I'm not letting dp anywhere near me til I've got my coil sorted! I had my 2other dc very close together and don't want a repeat!!!

William smiled at me last night-a proper wide grin!! Yay smile

goodsenseofdirection Thu 25-Oct-12 07:32:32

Hey, finally had a chance to say hello on here!

As for going out after the birth, he was born early hrs of Thurs 18th, we walked v slowly home that afternoon (usually a 5 min walk, took longer). And walked back to A&E on Saturday 20 for a jaundice test. Then on Monday had to go to a local children's centre to see the MWs. The walk was toooooo far, i was exhausted!!!

micky i have a similar problem - DS has lots of wind, and he also spits up due to greed pinpan. Takes ages to settle him and get the wind up. We've found that putting a hot water bottle in his bed means he wont wake up at night when we put him down if he's happily sleeping on me or DP.

goodsenseofdirection Thu 25-Oct-12 07:33:06

Oh, and of course taking the hot water bottle out when he goes in!

babybrain3 Thu 25-Oct-12 07:35:46

6wk check obviously-6am check would be torture!!! ;)

goodsenseofdirection Thu 25-Oct-12 07:56:13

I totally missed the second page of the thread - babybrain kicking in i think!!

Pinpan - interesting that your DD has been diagnosed with tongue tie - but how annoying it took so long to pick up. hmm the MW noticed a slight tongue tie before DS left hospital - but as he's feeding well and I'm not in pain they won't do anything unless I really push for it. Sounds like you're having a tough time though and it would definitely be worth sorting it out. THanks for the sleep tips - i will try them out!

For me, it's not the feeds which are the problem but the endless time it takes to get rid of the wind... no one told me about that beforehand!!

babybrain great news on the 6 wk check! smile and a proper smile too - I can't wait for one of those!

RnB Thu 25-Oct-12 12:53:31

Hello ladies! Re the sleeping have you tried swaddling. I got the Mothercare Miracle Swaddle (loads on eBay) and Fox is regularly sleeping 5+ hours at night. Has really worked for us!

CaptainHetty Thu 25-Oct-12 12:57:56

Marking place, will check up properly if when madam decides to have a nap this afternoon...

newtonupontheheath Thu 25-Oct-12 14:51:22

RnB I had a quick look at those when you mentioned the other day... Got side tracked so am off to check again.

We're usually cbeebies fans in this house but have changed channels and ds has been sat watching Peppa Pig for ages... And dd is sleeping... Who said this toddler and newborn lark was hard work?! hmm grin and blush at so much tv for ds!

Thumbwitch Thu 25-Oct-12 16:58:47

Bloody tongueties get on my nerves, literally! Bloody paeds appt is taking forever to come through as well - best laid plans gone wrong again, this was supposed to have been dealt with before I left the blasted hospital but here we are, nearly 2w later and still no fecking appt.
Still have a fair amount of pain at the start of feeding, but Wriggler is feeding better than his brother did - and then spitting a lot of it back up (which his brother never did). Lots more air going down, so lots of colicky pain and farting (niiice) and some trouble winding him as well. Hoping the tonguetie snip will sort all this out.

Newton - I preferred Milkshake in the UK (ch 5) to Cbeebies - lots more shows that DS liked, and I quite loved the smiles on the presenters' faces! I think that must have been the key hiring factor - massive smiles grin. Despite my best efforts, Peppa Pig is now DS's favourite show <sigh> but I indulge myself by complaining about her behaviour and George's whining to DS, so he learns that he's not to copy them! wink. We get a lot of UK children's tv shows over here, and most of the Canadian ones that are shared between the UK, Canada and Australia as well. We get Far East cartoons too - Japanese, Korean, all translated into English of course - and of course the infamous Dirt Girl World (which I think is actually Aussie, but is a collaboration with Canada/UK).
It's interesting which shows are dubbed - I have no idea why, in the UK, Bottle Top Bill and Bananas in Pyjamas are put into UK accents (both Aussie) where The Koala Brothers isn't - just bizarre! And things like Olivia and Finley the Fire Engine we get in the original US/Canadian accent here, but it's dubbed into UK accent in the UK. Most odd.

Sorry, that was a bit epic! blush

newtonupontheheath Thu 25-Oct-12 20:11:12

Thumb Your knowledge of global kids TV is impressive! I don't mind cBeebies, I like the lack of adverts especially! Dirt Girl World has been on a few times...it's bloody awful isn't it!

Well we had Peppa Pig and Ben and Holly's Little Kingdom until 5 when DS had a complete meltdown and we chucked him in the shower and into bed. <Peace and quiet>

DD is still cluster feeding so hopefully she will have put more weight on when MW comes back tomorrow (She wasn't back to her birth weight at day 10 so they came back at day 13 and they're coming back again which is day 17!) <fingers crossed>

babybrain3 Fri 26-Oct-12 04:11:39

That's funny about watching tv-after I've gone to bed in the evenings dp likes to get some work done, and rather than leave ds in a room on his own he puts march of the penguins on for him confused he'll probably grow up to be the next David Attenborough or something!!!! smile

goodsenseofdirection Fri 26-Oct-12 10:29:38

Since we're on the subject, it would be great to get your thoughts on tongue tie ladies - i know that DS has a 'mild' tongue tie, they spotted it as they were doing the check at hospital but have said that since he's feeding ok it won't matter. I have mild discomfort at the start of feeds but it can be difficult for him to latch. He also has terrible wind which can be hard to get up, v frequent hiccups, coughing and choking while feeding and the odd projectile vomit afterwrds shock. And i get same lopsided nipples with white tops after a feed too...

I'm not sure how much of the above might be down to the tongue tie or is just normal? And i've also read that if their suck isn't efficient milk supply can dwindle after 3 months when it relies less on hormones. Basically, is it worth pushing to get it snipped?

Hopefully going to a local breastfeeding support group on Monday... but any advice or thoughts you have in the meantime would be great!

sorry to post only about me... hope everyone is doing well!

EarnestDullard Fri 26-Oct-12 15:23:36

goodsense I used to get lopsided nipples (sort of lipstick shaped, iykwim?) until I started aiming my nipple more towards the roof of DD's mouth. There's a good diagram on handout 31, "When Latching" here of which part of the nipple/breast should be in the baby's mouth. No personal tongue-tie experience, so can't advise on the rest, sorry.

Anyone else got a toddler as well as a newborn? I just had to clean poo off 2.7yo DD's bum, sheets, pillow and clothes (nappy leaked in bed) while DD2 screamed for food sad It was horrible to leave her crying and all three of us were in tears at one point but I couldn't leave DD1 running round with a shitty bum. Gah.

RunningOutOfIdeas Fri 26-Oct-12 15:35:32

Hello all. Sorry I have not posted for ages. Really busy with DD1 and 2. Going away to a cottage for half-term tomorrow. I will try to catch up soon.

newtonupontheheath Fri 26-Oct-12 18:37:54

Earnest Yes me.... It's not been too bad in the day time so far but DS (just 2) still wakes up in the night so I'm frequently up for hours at a time with him.

Last night his nappy leaked (just wee, thankfully!) and he was screaming when DH went near him (they both wind each other uo when tired) so I had to change him and calm him down, which meant cutting DD's feed short.

Then DS and I had to get into the spare bed as I tried to get him back to sleep...

Then DD woke again...

By the time I got back in bed from initially waking with DD at 2 am, it was 5:36............. I was having a "morning off" this morning and mum was taking DS which meant us getting him breakfasted and at hers for 7:30.

It is awful having one of them cry whilst you see to the other but I am trying to tune it out and/or do what I can for DS with DD in a sling.

I am also doing as much to get ready for the next bit of the day as possible...for example, I know DS will happily play after breakfast so I have been making us some sandwiches and putting them in the fridge so I know that if DD is cranky at that time, I can at least feed the poor boy with minimum effort!

Little of that helps with poo-on-hands.... hmm grin Sorry! <<Prays DS never does this>>

goodsenseofdirection Fri 26-Oct-12 18:49:10

oh my goodness newton and earnest that is full on!!! You are amazing for coping with all that! It makes just one dc sound like a walk in the park <makes note to self to try to wait some time before having second child >

earnest thanks for the link - lots of good stuff on there! I've been trying that positioning and it looks correct but i think i need an expert to check and give advice.

pinpan Fri 26-Oct-12 19:04:14

RnB, I have tried using swaddles but the womble spits up so often that I end up resorting to a blanket swaddle anyway because all the specially designed ones are covered in milk. hmm

I have gone back to basics again with latching and managing to get a better latch, but still getting a bit of the lopsided-ness. I went into the GPs on Friday afternoon to pick up a prescription, after the womble had refused to go to sleep and made me cry heaps, and my lovely GP saw me and took me aside and gave me a hug, let me tell her all about the nurse talking about tongue ties, and said to bring the womble in on Monday and she'll check her over thoroughly as well. I've been into the medical practice so much in the last month that they all know me and the womble by name now, and ask after us both tenderly when I ring up! Anyway, goodsense, will let you know if anything useful comes up with regards to the spitting up etc. Womble definitely does it more when she has just had a big sleep, early afternoon and in the middle of the night, so I think it's partly a greed/must eat as quickly as possible thing.

On the plus side, we had a classic cluster feed from 6-10 pm last night instead of 3 hours of screaming, followed by sleeping through to 6 am with a single feed at 1.30 - 2.30 am. I could cope if she did that every night especially as I have a Quantum Leap boxset to get through, every bit as good as I remember smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now