Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

The other October 2012 baby thread!

(357 Posts)

Sorry for lack of witty title! 4 days post c-section = lack of sense of humour grin

newtonupontheheath Fri 23-Nov-12 06:56:29

Hi everyone... I am reading but just don't seem to be able to keep up and post.

And judging by my ranty pants on Facebook you'll be glad I'm not -need my own thread for that--

Just wanted to say Thumb Glad to hear all went well with the op, was thinking of you xx

HoneyMum21 Fri 23-Nov-12 08:41:14

thumbwitch glad DS is doing well. Can you get a sneaky nap at some point during the day?
Also thanks for advice re:routine. Libby purves sounds very sensible! routine is not my default setting either

Ergh horrible night here too...little man has a blocked nose and seems to be going through a growth spurt. Lots of crying for no obvious reason as well...not helping my headache!

And DH is off with man-flu so the house is also a mess and full of germs.

Pheebs24 Fri 23-Nov-12 11:24:38

Crikey - was it a full moon or something last night?
Also exhausted this morning as LO decided to be awake and crying until 2am when he fell asleep in the carrier and I slept with him in it, on me...

DH has had his flight details through too and will need to leave in the early hours unless I can persuade him to go tonight so he's not driving tired. It means mum is on her way - phew!

She's never had a colicky baby though, and she has a cold so it could get inneresting hmm

thumb so pleased for you that all went well - have this one tonight to celebrate wine smile

Nice one thumb!

Exhausted here too, DS has taken to waking every hour or so the past few nights and has a halfhearted feed for about 5 minutes before dropping off again only to wake again an hour later still hungry....and yet today here he is sleeping merrily in the sling (argh my back) for the past 3 hours!!

I'm out to see Rufus Wainwright tomorrow night yay! DH will be in charge and DS may or may not take expressed milk eek

RunningOutOfIdeas Fri 23-Nov-12 21:33:05

Pip seems to have decided that sleep is not required this evening. Every time I think she has fallen asleep and I put her in her Moses basket she wakes again. I have been up since 4.30am. DH is leaving at 7 tomorrow morning. I am so tired. I have not got any milk expressed to add Gaviscon to so even when I do get pip to sleep I will have to stay up until I have pumped enough.

Sorry this is a self indulgent whinge. Just not having a good time right now.

Pheebs24 Sat 24-Nov-12 01:07:16

Ooh running what a time you're having! Hope little running has a sleepy day tomorrow to make up for it... have you got some help lined up while DH is away?

I feel bad to say now that LO has had a really peaceful day today - typical as I have mum here and, yet again, as soon as there's someone other than me and DH in the room he's an angel. I swear no-one believes we've had scritchy, sleepless nights!!!

But fingers crossed it could be the new formula having the desired effect and we'll have a lovely few days before the next parenting challenge wink

Started wearing my pre-preggo bras again today and discovered they are crap so will treat myself to a couple of new ones that will actually fit - don't know if they never did or if my boobs have changed for good confused. Still not back into my jeans or wedding rings so will make more of an effort to walk the dog myself instead of guilting others into it...

Thumbwitch Sat 24-Nov-12 02:14:15

I have given up wearing bras entirely at the moment blush - probably to the terminal detriment of my boobs! - I wear support vests instead, much easier and more comfortable. They have an extra bit inside with elastic underneath to hold the boobs up a bit more.
I have managed to get back to pre-pg weight and clothes though; but I have a floppy apron of flesh that looks like it's never going to go away (judging by friends' past experiences) so I'll never be supermodel material as though I ever was!! grin
Still can't wear my rings though - haven't been able to for a couple of years, I need to lose at least a stone in weight to get them back on comfortably - part of the problem though is that as it gets hotter here, I get a sort of dermatitis under the rings from the dried sweat, so even if they fit properly, wearing them is hard.

Wriggler is doing well but needed some more panadol (calpol) last night; he's pooing lots - which is good - and still has some air and pain problems but it seems to be diminishing now. Am still low on sleep too, didn't get as good a night last night as I woudl have liked but am hoping to catch up a bit more today.

Hope the rest of you are getting more sleep now - sorry to hear you've had such a shocker of a night, Running sad

RunningOutOfIdeas Sat 24-Nov-12 08:51:06

DH took pip for a while last night and she did a massive burp. This morning she has been farting almost continuously. Maybe I shouldn't have eaten a Thai bean curry yesterday.

I got about 4 hours sleep last night. DH has gone now. I have a fairly busy day. DD1 has ballet then her school Christmas fair. I prefer days like this since I don't have to think about what to do with DD1.

I don't have any support when DH is away. Most of my family are in Oz. I have a cousin who has helped in an emergency, such as when I had to spend a few days in hospital. I have booked DD1 into after school club one day a week but I don't have any one who could take pip. I just need to take each day as it comes and accept that I am not supermum. The house will be a mess and I will consider success being days that we food and clothes.

RunningOutOfIdeas Sat 24-Nov-12 10:06:36

Mmm must be tired. My typing is rubbish. I meant days that we have food and clothes would be a success.

LoopyLa Sat 24-Nov-12 11:13:42

Pheebs/Thumbwitch I'm not in pre-preg clothes yet but maternity jeans all feel very loose now. Plus all my old clothes are in the loft which I can't be arsed to get, nor have the time I'd love to go for a few walks round the village to help weight loss but my sciatica prevents me from doing that as its too bloody painful. I currently spend Tuesdsy to Friday (& most of the weekend too) holed up in the house, it's pretty shite in all honesty.

Running sympathies on your crappy night & absent DH. Mine works in London so is pretty much out the house from 5.30am to 8.30pm daily and in all honesty, if I get breakfast, lunch & I get dressed then I consider those as good days. Forget about tidying etc (and in my case showering most days!! confused) & just concentrate on the now.

Unbelievably, Baby Loopy fed at 7.30pm then not til 1.30am & then slept til 6.30am!! shock Is this a sign of things to come?!!

Thumbwitch Sat 24-Nov-12 11:48:22

Loopy - I'd like to say I hope so but IME one good night isn't necessarily the start of a pattern. It is a very welcome relief though! smile

Sciatica is literally a pain in the arse. I had it for years before getting pg even, and had to see an osteopath to get it sorted. But he was excellent and stopped me from suffering with it through my first pg; and then we moved over to Australia and the woman I see over here stopped it from being a massive issue through this pg as well. She also kept on top of the SPD, which is slowly disappearing. So I suppose I'm suggesting that you find an osteopath who is used to treating pregnant and post-pregnant women to see if they can sort it out for you. smile

Hi all! You've dropped off my active threads!
thumb glad the op went ok. Woo hoo!
running I think you're right. As long as you've all eaten, the rest can wait. Shane you've no support though. You can always come and moan to us? <helpful emocion>
Baby elvis (Lisa Marie?) slept for 5 hours last night but I'm not hopeful as she did this last week and was really mental unsettled for 3 nights afterwards. We had baby photos done yesterday which may have worn her out too. DH was holding her with her nappy off to do a cute shot, and she had a major poosplosion on his hands!!! HAHAHA

pinpan Sat 24-Nov-12 19:44:16

That would have made a memorable photo. grin

Thumbwitch Sat 24-Nov-12 22:42:06

grin - it would too!

Borrowing this from another thread I'm on - another MNer told me this:
"When I was doing my nurse training, my best friend was working on the children's ward, and saw an absolutely epic poosplosion. They had a baby in with gastroenteritis, who had the worst diarrhoea, and the mum, having changed and cleaned the baby, was bouncing him up and down on her lap before putting the clean nappy on. Big mistake. Huge. Apparently it went everywhere, and the mum sat in shock, holding the poosplosioning baby at arm's length, with an utterly bemused look on her face, until rescued by the nursing staff!"

That would have been horrendous! But I bet the nurses were sniggering too. wink

RunningOutOfIdeas Tue 27-Nov-12 06:34:02

Thumb I guess that is a story the mum will be telling her son's girlfriends for years.

Hope everyone is doing ok. I feel so much better this morning. I got about 5.5 hours sleep last night which is better than the last few nights. I took pip to the gp yesterday and got ranitidine. Hopefully she will start to feel more comfortable soon. I also borrowed a baby swing from a friend. Put pip in it yesterday evening and she fell asleep.

I have a coffee morning today with parents from DD1's class. It will be good to have some adult conversation.

Thumbwitch Tue 27-Nov-12 07:55:56

My turn to have a bad night - combination of a baby trying to get used to the new situation re. his bowel etc. and the godawful heat (thundery heatwave) - I don't think I had more than 2h sleep together. And he's had troubles napping for more than half an hour at a time today. So he's tired, I'm knackered and it's still too bloody hot. sad

Pheebs24 Tue 27-Nov-12 16:46:59

OK - has anyone actually found that reaching the 'magic' 6 week mark has actually helped? Mum and Sis keep on about it but I'm not convinced... I'd love to think another two weeks will make a difference!

Thumb I'm having the opposite problem - its suddenly gone chilly and our flat doesn't have any heating apart from one gas fire in the front room and small oil-filled rads in the bedrooms which don't seem powerful enough for the baby, not sure what I'll do when winter fully kicks in start searching the argos catalogue for more heaters

My biggest issue at the mo is mum being here! We don't get on brilliantly at the best of times, but I was prepared for all the things she does that annoy me - but it turns out the baby's fine if she feeds and puts him to bed - he'll sleep 4 hrs, its only with ME he scritches and only sleeps for 30 mins sad it is literally pushing me over the edge...

Hello all - am still here though useless at posting it seems. Sleep is pretty non-existent around here boo! T had his 8 week jabs yesterday and the BCG today, fine with both thankfully. 4 weeks from yesterday is Xmas Eve - we won't be around if they want to do his 12 week jabs then. Is it ok to reschedule so they'll be a bit later?

Pheebs24 Tue 27-Nov-12 18:45:40

maketea I would've thought its ok, but I guess it may depend on how long you needed to wait? They must have to be flexible for chidlings that are unwell etc so can't have jabs? TBH I reckon when they realise the date they will want to rearrange - I can't imagine my GP will be working xmas eve!!

Feeling both guilty and smug about last post - didn't mention that mum was up ALL NIGHT with baby because I could not function, hence guilty, the smug bit is that she fed him an hour ago and put him to bed and he only slept 30mins!!!

Am super relieved that I am not as totally useless as I thought - it felt like I was either going mad and imagining things or a rubbish parent

pinpan Tue 27-Nov-12 20:01:01

Of course you're not useless Pheebs! Bet the four hour sleep with your mum was totally a fluke. I found that there was a gradual improvement, rather than a sudden change at six weeks, but it was definitely perceptible at six weeks. That said, I'm at 9 weeks now and hanging out for the 'magic' 12 week marker...

Thumbwitch Wed 28-Nov-12 00:50:15

I don't suppose it will make you feel any better Pheebs but the magic 6w mark was fully buggered for me by Wriggler's op. He's been restless and unsettled since, as I've posted - and last night was another shocker. Partly the muggy weather, partly still he's not quite right. AND he seems to have forgotten how to co-ordinate drinking and breathing all the time; every now and then he forgets to breathe while he's latched on and suddenly starts flailing around and I have to unlatch him if he doesn't manage to pull away himself!

I fully sympathise with the business with your Mum and yes, what a relief that he did the 30mins thing for her too - see it is him and not you!

Maketea - shouldn't be a massive issue, as Pheebs said, they have to be flexible to account for children being unwell too, so just phone them and let them know.

What's mildly upsetting me now is that wriggler will have just got over the disruption from the op and then next week it's the 2m jabs, which could set us back again [gloom]. Hey ho. I've managed to offload DS1 to MIL's tonight - DH is at tennis so it's never a good evening, especially with a klingon baby - and need to get some housecleaning done because it's DS1's birthday party this weekend; and although it's meant to be outside, we have predicted temps of 40deg, with possible storms, so it could all go horribly wrong!

Fionaloo Wed 28-Nov-12 09:59:32

Hello! Can I join? DD was born on 31/10/2012. Took me nearly 3 weeks before I venture out on my own other than the visits to the hospital and GP

LoopyLa Wed 28-Nov-12 11:36:56

Today can fuck the fuck off, in fact it can fuck off with yesterday as that was shite too.

Baby Loopy has suddenly turned into mega screamy baby but I have no idea why - he's fed, clean nappy, got infacol, doesn't want to be stimulated, doesn't want rocker, doesn't want playmat, won't sleep on or off me, I'm clueless confused

For those ladies with babies who's dropped a night feed, have you found your babies eat more or more often during the day? I have no idea why he's suddenly become so restless & upset & the only thing that's different is that he's dropped a night feed hmm He's 5 wks, 3 days....

I'm also in mega pain with sciatica & so far the 2 private practitioners I've contacted cannot treat it due to holidays or whatever - wtf? Do people not want to earn any money anymore??? angry

Comforting a baby when you can hardly walk is very difficult sad

LoopyLa Wed 28-Nov-12 11:37:39

Welcome fionaloo, excuse my moaning blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now