Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

The other October 2012 baby thread!

(357 Posts)

Sorry for lack of witty title! 4 days post c-section = lack of sense of humour grin

Bubblebell1 Tue 23-Oct-12 17:35:03

Helloooo. [echos] is everyone still wondering around with match sticks holding their eyes open?

Can't wait to catch up with you all. grin

Shellwedance Tue 23-Oct-12 17:36:17

Marking place and will be back!

pinpan Tue 23-Oct-12 19:05:52

Anyone else have a baby that doesn't know how to go to sleep? sad

When did you all start leaving the house after your new arrivals? Particularly those of you with c-sections?

Starting to feel a bit claustrophobic here!

pinpan do they sell 'Ewan the sheep' in NZ? It is a magical sleep inducing device that I thoroughly recommend!

Bubblebell1 Tue 23-Oct-12 21:28:44

thunder I left the house on the Tuesday. ( had emcs on the Saturday came home on the Sunday. ) to take dd to visit my grandparents.
I seem to have recovered much quicker this time. I'm lucky. I was still in hospital at that point last time round. grin

Bubblebell1 Tue 23-Oct-12 21:29:33

Where can I find Ewan the sheep??? [Desperate face emotion]

Marking place! I've had a Ewan on my Amazon wish list - really do they truly work? Should I get one? Desperately tired here

MsInterpret Tue 23-Oct-12 21:58:32

Hello everyone! grin

alternative to Ewan which was good. Pricey though - we got as a gift.

Ewan definitely works for us! I was sceptical, but little thunder seems to love him...he can be screaming one minute and asleep and contented the next.

Thumbwitch Wed 24-Oct-12 03:59:41

I co-sleep with Wriggler - he's not such a wriggler now he's out. smile
In fact he's just like his older brother was - very silent and still sleeper which is bloody terrifying! I still have nightmares about the time I woke up in the middle of the night and was sure DS1 had stopped breathing - shook him (gently!) awake and he was ok - but I don't know if he would have been if I hadn't woken up, iyswim.
That way we get a reasonable amount of sleep, although he's still napping a fair bit during the day as well. Still need to shift his sleep patterns around a little bit.

The sore belly - it feels like muscular soreness, rather than cramps - across my lower belly. No idea if I pulled something or if it's residual internal bruising (I never bruised on the outside) from the ECV; or it might be related to the fact that my symphisis pubis is still clunking like a bitch sad.

Going out post-birth - had him on wed 10/10, came home on fri 12/10 - stayed in all weekend (got very blue) and then escaped the house on wed 17/10 by myself (not my choice, DH refused to take me shopping, said he'd look after the baby and I could go by myself) because I was desperate to get out of the house by then.

This week, am back to doing all the running around with DS1, because DH is back at work and MIL had to have an angioplasty for angina - luckily she's out of hospital now (was in from last Thursday to yesterday) but can't drive for 3d. I'm ok so long as I don't try and do too much - if I do, my belly hurts and I slow right down through knackeredness.

pinpan Wed 24-Oct-12 04:08:47

Does Ewan the sheep and/or Prince Lionheart do good white noise? I'd have to order them from amazon uk I think, if they deliver overseas. Sounds like a good thing though. I don't want to jinx it, but the womble has just gone to sleep in her bassinet/pram for the second time running, with the aid of the cooker hood fan on max. Partly the white noise and partly me getting better at spotting the two minute window for putting her down while awake but tired... hmm bet it doesn't work next time

I didn't go out except to the GP or the hospital for 3 weeks, but that's because my infected stitches made it really sore to walk, or do anything other than lie down or sit on my special cushion. I did 'leave the house' every day but usually only as far as the mailbox... I've been out properly every day since then though, and today I walked over a mile with the pram though it's a bit sore now. grin Leaving the house is awesome. What little things seem like victories these days!

Thumbwitch Wed 24-Oct-12 04:17:46

Wow Pinpan - I'm well impressed with you walking over a mile already! shock

Amazon.co.uk doesn't deliver toys to Australia/NZ, only books/ DVDs/CDs, iirc. Amazon.com might though (and it would still be cheaper than sourcing it in NZ, I bet! Definitely would be cheaper than Australia)

HeyMicky Wed 24-Oct-12 04:29:23

Found you - dropped off the last thread. How is everyone? DD has reflux so settling her after feeds is hard work - can be an hour and a half from starting a feed to falling properly.

DD was born Sunday night, went home Monday, quick trip to hospital on a
Tuesday then out to register her and do some shopping (needed tiny baby size clothes) n the Wednesday. We go out every day for a walk, plus 3 groups/coffee meet ups a week

pinpan Wed 24-Oct-12 04:35:22

Thumb, my walk was in two bits - there and back again, iyswim. grin Definitely the furthest I've gone in a month though! Will have a look on amazon.com for ewan. smile

Hey, Micky! My womble is a spiller so she can be tough to settle too, though I think it isn't reflux, just greed. smile I've been trying to feed her up on one side at a time rather than offering both, so she gets all the calories in less volume, which seems to help - she put on 100 g between Friday and Tuesday so she's definitely eating enough! Sometimes she just wants more though, and invariably aims it right down my cleavage as soon as she's done. hmm

Pinpan It has different types of noise, a womb heartbeat, waves, and a tune. Obviously, can't promise it will work for you, but it does wonders for us. Apparently there is an app on iPhone which plays white noise - could you try something like that maybe?

Think I might venture out of bed tomorrow! Since getting home on Sunday I've pretty much confined myself to bed rest with the odd trip to the loo/wander round upstairs! My c-section scar is hurting so much less now so think its time to try the stairs again.

pinpan Wed 24-Oct-12 05:23:59

Going to try the white noise on the iphone tonight - womble is very discerning and has previously rejected 'fake' white noise, but it's worth another try. It's a shame we don't have an old fashioned radio that we can just detune! She's also drawn to the light so not sure the light on ewan will do it for her - might try the slumber bear if I can find one. Everything is worth a try, right?!

Good luck getting out of bed Thunder. It is great when you start feeling more human again - makes the hard work of feeding and soothing a baby much easier. still hard though smile

EmptyCrispPackets Wed 24-Oct-12 05:50:55

Can I join?

12 days post cs, baby arrived at 35/40 so we spent 1 week in hospital as she was in scbu.

pinpan Wed 24-Oct-12 08:40:18

I might try this...

Ewan doesn't have a light; but that is a cute giraffe!

Welcome empty, how is your recovery going? I'm 5 days post c-section but luckily had no issues so was home after 48 hours

DeeLite Wed 24-Oct-12 11:40:03

Pinpan, Baby Lite doesn't seem to do fake white noise either but loves Ewan's light and gazes at it until she falls asleep. She's quite a noisy breather and you can hear her breathing calm right down when she turns to look at him.

Like Thumbwitch, I am back to my usual routine with DS - nursery runs, toddler groups, birthday parties, NCT meet-ups etc. Baby Lite sleeps non-stop (in the day) though so falls in easily with our plans. She has her alert awake time between 7pm and 10pm so sits in her chair while we have supper and then watches TV with us until bedtime. DS is not allowed any TV so would be very miffed if ever he came back down in the evening and caught us grin.

Hmm I must have an old or broken Ewan as ours definitely doesn't have a light!

Littleplasticpeople Wed 24-Oct-12 16:03:13

Found you all!

Re going out after the birth, born late eve on wed 10th, i stayed in until Tuesday 15th when I did the school run. I was determined to have a few days indoors in pjs this time, as it was my older two had a sickness bug in that time so it wasn't very relaxing! Two weeks today since baby was born, I feel mostly recovered although my lower back and hips ache if I walk for any distance. If it's still bothering me at the six week check I will speak to the GP about it.

Winnie81 Wed 24-Oct-12 19:15:34

Marking place, will be back later!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now