Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

November 2012 - babies are here at last

(1000 Posts)
StuntNun Thu 04-Oct-12 12:42:24

This is the post-natal club for graduates of the November 2012 intake.

Evilwater Tue 16-Oct-12 19:29:26

Thanks ladies for all your advice.
Evil.

nebbo Tue 16-Oct-12 22:46:43

Thanks for all the congratulations messages.
I hope the feeding issues are starting to resolve. Our girls weighed 4lb11 and 4lb14 at birth then both dropped to 4lb7 and didn't go up by day 10. I was breastfeeding then doing a formula top up then expressing so I could increase my supply and give some breast top ups!! What a load of work I was making for myself! I couldn't do it alone so my husband had to help every feed which was 3 hourly!! I did find however that by feeding then expressing, my milk supply increased dramatically. However I was also put on don peridone by the doctor as I've had terrible nausea and loss of appetite and that drug also increases supply. I'm now trying to breast feed fully with one bottle feed before bed so my husband can do that and I can catch up sleep to do the night feeds. We are still in the trial stages but I don't want to give up the breast yet as the thought of sterilising, making and warning feeds etc for 2 babies sounds like a lot more work than sticking one on each boob and letting them feed. I do feel that the dramas of bringing up babies may have only just begun!! They weren't lying when they said its hard work!!!

StuntNun Tue 16-Oct-12 22:53:00

You're doing brilliantly Nebbo, it's bound to be hard work with twins but I'm sure in a week or two everything will be going smoothly and you won't look back.

NervousAt20 Tue 16-Oct-12 23:27:18

Marking place, I should be a graduate Friday!!

GTbaby Wed 17-Oct-12 01:43:53

Oh gosh. In hospital ward. Looking at little gt unable to sleep.

Birth experience was crazy. Parts of it I hated. Parts of it I thought were ok.

As I was induced on Sunday. I had a pessery put in. First experience of an internal exam. N I didn't react well at all. Sobbing n screaming come to mind.
N am quite surprised at how uncomfortable the Pessary was considering it was a think piece of string.
24 hours later was taken out n another internal, again screaming sobbing asking her to stop. Agony sad.
I was 3cm dilated so moved me to labour ward.
Monday 4pm in labour ward n told just about 3cm wud break waters which gad to be done by a DR as head is to high. Ps another internal with gas n air. Made no difference! Still screaming. blush. Me a wuss? Never!

Anyway asked for epidural before the water breaking! This was crazy. The dr tried putting it in like 10 times! In different spots on my spine n it just didn't work. I was starting to panic thinking about waters being broken n the pain. Not nice at all. In the end he got someone else in to do it. Thank goodness he asked for help!

Which came at 2.30am Tuesday. So a lot of waiting around! 3ish waters broken n given a hormone drip. This internal was so much better! I could feel exactly what was going on. But wasn't painful at all.
I was told contractions started at 8am grin. I was examined at 12 noon. N told dilated to 10cm. They waited untill 1 to get me pushing as babies head was quite high still.
At 2.02 baby gt was born grin. A little help with a suction device. A few stitches. Loads of blood lol. It really does feel like ur doing a poo! I was so worried I might do one. I hope I didn't blush I don't even know if I did! blush.
But was glad I cud feel the contractions but no pain as mw missed a few n I told her I needed to push.

So the labour itself was ok really. Just the examinations n epidural stress which distressed me.

Right. I need to sleep. Well try to. Babies keep crying on the ward!

Iheartpasties Wed 17-Oct-12 02:49:52

gt so happy that your LO is here! Lovely to hear your birth story, everyone has a different one and it takes a while for it to feel real. Talk about it (type about it) as much as you want, or as little as you want! It can help to get it all out, and other times sharing it once or not at all is fine too!!!! congrats to you and your dh.

Iheartpasties Wed 17-Oct-12 03:04:33

nebbo you are doing fantastically!! well done.

Well done all around to everyone!!

donna my dd was jaundice so i used to wake her for feeds! so dont worry about making a rod 4 your back, as she put on weight and shrugged off the jaundice she soon woke for feeds by herself but also we all got more sleep as she could go for longer without feeding.

Thechick Wed 17-Oct-12 08:40:56

Hello all. I'm just saying hi. Had my little on 7th Oct, 6 weeks early. Keep meaning to put my birth story on here. Will try and do it today. Little one still in scbu, hopefully will be out by the weekend. Going to the hospital everyday and pumping every three hours is exhausting. I just want my little one home.

ShellyBobbs Wed 17-Oct-12 09:27:16

GT congratulations! We were all thinking of you yesterday saying 'she must have had him by now' grin Glad everything went well and hope you get home soon x

Chick Think I've already congratulated you, but just in case, congratulations grin. Fingers crossed for weekend.

StuntNun Wed 17-Oct-12 09:32:05

Congratulations Chick I think I missed the BA. What name did you decide on in the end?

YellowWellies Wed 17-Oct-12 10:37:43

Congrats GT I bet you're glad that's over!!!

Keep perservering with the BFing and have a few words with your MW (get your DH to step in) - so much for the NHS being breastapo - all of the stories from south seem to be the opposite i.e. lots of MWs not being bothered to help with BFing as it's more fuss for them. Grrrr.....

PetiteRaleuse Wed 17-Oct-12 11:19:29

Congratulations to all of you already here. I'm marking my place as my elcs has been brought forward to Friday. See you soon smile

YellowWellies Wed 17-Oct-12 11:27:43

good luck petite!!!

daisychain76 Wed 17-Oct-12 12:19:17

Good luck petit and nervous. Congrats Gt l bet you will be glad to be home. thechick l totally sympathise ~ we had 18days of that and it is exhausting. Hope your LO is out soon. nebb it sounds like you are doing great. Shelly it is the only hospital l have any experience of but, ddespite some mix ups and feeling they are probably under staffed, overall l do think they have been good and feel very grateful to them.

DonnaDoon Thu 18-Oct-12 10:36:19

Congratulations GT Good luck Petite and Nervous Bit miffed about dds weight here she was born 6lb9oz and went down to 5lb12oz which is a lot to lose but she was born at 36wks3days and sleepy and it took 4 days for my boobs to fill up I am exclusive breast feeding I did top her up in hospital with formula on the advice of midwives but she sicked it up....anyway despite feeding loads she was only 6lb1oz yesterday on day 10 so midwife cant discharge us...she is coming back next week to weigh her again but I feel pressured now to feed even more or offer formula again when I think she is doing well at her own pace...my dh says not to worry as all babies are different and not all regain their birth weight in 10 days and I agree with him but still...sad

Evilwater Thu 18-Oct-12 10:46:49

Congrats to you all,
Yesterday I was surposed to have a relaxing day with plenty of sleep. Instead nick decided to vomit up most of his feed all night and most of the morning. sad

Phoned the midwife everything ok. It stressed us both out. I'm hoping to have a shower today, as well as plenty of rest.
I also have to fill out the child benift form today as tomorrow were off to registar him.
Evil

ShellyBobbs Thu 18-Oct-12 11:51:38

Donna Go with your gut instinct! My first was exactly the same, she took weeks to get back to her birth weight as she was breastfed but also sicked that up every feed, it was a long hard slog, the only thing was that I was at home so didn't feel the pressure much. Another thing to think about is that the charts they (used to, not sure if it's the same now) use for weight are based on formula fed babies who put on weight more quickly and ARE NOT suitable for breastfed babies to be compared to.

The facts are your baby is happy and content and is putting on weight. Listen to your hubby, listen to your instinct and tell anyone who tries to free up the bed quicker push you into formula feeding to take a running jump. Come on here for support if you feel like you need it.

ShellyBobbs Thu 18-Oct-12 11:53:09

Also Donna my first was 6lb 8oz and was 2 weeks OVERDUE! So she's a very good weight as it is.

Iheartpasties Thu 18-Oct-12 11:57:11

evil i think everything seems so hard when it happens in the middle of the night! Babies seem to time it perfectly to wind us up to the max! Stay strong smile

StuntNun Thu 18-Oct-12 11:57:20

It's a shame you're under pressure Donna. Sometimes midwives/health visitors get too bound up by what they think your baby 'should' be doing and don't pay enough attention to the big picture. If you're managing to feed her and she's gaining weight steadily and is healthy that everything else is just numbers. Babies come in all shapes and sizes and grow at different rates, you can't just look at a chart and say what should be although it would be nice if you could. Also in my (admittedly limited) experience babies then to grow in spurts so you'll probably find she puts on an ounce here, an ounce there then suddenly eight ounces in one go. If they try and mess with you again send them to me and I'll put them right!

ValiumQueen Thu 18-Oct-12 12:09:43

You are doing great as you are donna just carry on and she will get there. Besides, she told you she was not impressed with the formula!

daisychain76 Thu 18-Oct-12 12:53:29

Hope you are having a more restful day evil. I am glad you mentioned registering ~ reminded me to make an appointment.

donna l think there has been a lot of wise advice given already. She is puttiing on weight and feeding regularly, its just that she‘s doing it at her own pace.

eldest Ds was sick 5 times last night after spending the evening kissing/holding LO so just keeping fingers crossed now that its not something horribly catching

DonnaDoon Thu 18-Oct-12 13:37:31

Oh Thankyou for all your support...I love you ladies x

YellowWellies Fri 19-Oct-12 14:06:30

Donna it sounds like you've got the BFing cracked - keep going! Also, bear in mind that some health care professionals have their own personal agendas - when my sis was expressing milk for her premmie she got a lot of sniffy 'why don't you just put her on formula' from the nursing staff who had clearly bottlefed their own babies and seemed to feel the right to put her down for wanting to breastfeed. I don't know if they felt insecure in their own choices and threatened by how well she was doing but it really wasn't helpful. even if she did fill up the unit fridge with her expressed milk and produced such a surplus she gave it to a milk bank for other prems She was definitely viewed as being a weird posh bird for not wanting to reach for the Aptimil.

Evilwater Fri 19-Oct-12 17:01:50

Donna- your doing amazing. Well done.

Just back from the midwife, and nick now weighs 6,6. I'm now discharged from the midwife and on to the health vistor. I must registar him with the GP on Monday.

Hearing test done today, all fine. Also I opened his saving account, with his birth certificate. Yay.

Evil.

This thread is not accepting new messages.