Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career ×

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

April 2011: losing sleep and gaining shoes, toddlers share with us their news

(997 Posts)
ecuse Mon 01-Oct-12 17:34:02

I have taken the liberty of starting a new thread.

Pile in!

brew wine biscuit etc

Kittycatcat Fri 25-Jan-13 14:13:59

Love it

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Fri 25-Jan-13 14:21:13

Is your name change a reference to Burns Night fizz? <ignorant>

GlaikitCheiftanOThePuddinRace Fri 25-Jan-13 14:48:20

Tis indeed! <clears throat>

Address to a haggis

Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face,
Great chieftain o the puddin'-race!
Aboon them a' ye tak your place,
Painch, tripe, or thairm:
Weel are ye worthy o' a grace
As lang's my arm.

The groaning trencher there ye fill,
Your hurdies like a distant hill,
Your pin wad help to mend a mill
In time o need,
While thro your pores the dews distil
Like amber bead.

His knife see rustic Labour dight,
An cut you up wi ready slight,
Trenching your gushing entrails bright,
Like onie ditch;
And then, O what a glorious sight,
Warm-reekin, rich!

Then, horn for horn, they stretch an strive:
Deil tak the hindmost, on they drive,
Till a' their weel-swall'd kytes belyve
Are bent like drums;
The auld Guidman, maist like to rive,
'Bethankit' hums.

Is there that owre his French ragout,
Or olio that wad staw a sow,
Or fricassee wad mak her spew
Wi perfect scunner,
Looks down wi sneering, scornfu view
On sic a dinner?

Poor devil! see him owre his trash,
As feckless as a wither'd rash,
His spindle shank a guid whip-lash,
His nieve a nit;
Thro bloody flood or field to dash,
O how unfit!

But mark the Rustic, haggis-fed,
The trembling earth resounds his tread,
Clap in his walie nieve a blade,
He'll make it whissle;
An legs an arms, an heads will sned,
Like taps o thrissle.

Ye Pow'rs, wha mak mankind your care,
And dish them out their bill o fare,
Auld Scotland wants nae skinking ware
That jaups in luggies:
But, if ye wish her gratefu prayer,
Gie her a Haggis

GlaikitCheiftanOThePuddinRace Fri 25-Jan-13 14:54:20

The above is traditionally said prior to the eating of the haggis at a burns supper after the big steaming haggis is piped into the room.

The master of ceremonies will say recite the poem brandishing his skean dhu (little dagger that lives in a Scotsmans sock) until the third verse where he then attacks the haggis bursting it open. Then we eat drink and be merry! Bit of a sing song, shot (or two) of whisky.

Yummers!

MrsWajs Fri 25-Jan-13 15:30:24

<applauds Fizz> smile

JollyRedGiant Fri 25-Jan-13 18:23:11

Just popping in to say Tesco do vests with poppers in age 2-3 smile

GlaikitCheiftanOThePuddinRace Fri 25-Jan-13 19:07:31

Thanks jolly! grin

Kittycatcat Sat 26-Jan-13 07:40:07

What a night. Both boys snotty and hot. A was the first to get up at 9 and just couldn't / wouldn't go back to sleep. Got him to sleep on me at 12 eventually. He lasted half hour. Fortunately he then slept in his cot. Just fed him early cos he was screaming / crying. He's normally v chilled. S got up around 11 which he never does. Dh had been in to him so many times I think he have up. He eventually went back down but woke constantly. Poor iccles. Worse for a I guess cos he can't breathe / feed properly.

fraktion Sat 26-Jan-13 10:22:14

I wondered where you lot had gone on my TIO. I just haven't posted enough recently! In my defenders I've been exceptionally busy with work - anyone want to help me out?!?!

M is ill, DH is ill, I was ill (but apparently I can't have been as ill - no, I just had to get on with it!!!) so we're all a bit grouchy.

GlaikitCheiftanOThePuddinRace Sat 26-Jan-13 11:17:09

Oh Frak! Mums don't get ill, did they not tell you that at AN classes wink

How is work? Have to gone to work for the pop star??

fraktion Sat 26-Jan-13 12:50:06

I took her on as a client but I'm not going FT for her. The proportion that she's danding already is a lot and I wouldn't really be able to say no if I didn't have other clients. At the moment she's not huge enough to pay for me to be on call 24/7. Done that in another job and DH and DS didn't feature then!

At the moment I'm doing stuff for another client on the ratio chanted for CMs and nurseries but really struggling to find people in favour of the change...

GlaikitCheiftanOThePuddinRace Sat 26-Jan-13 12:57:09

I can understand why you are finding it difficult! Wo in their right minds would say, yes I think it's a good idea to cut ratios so my child is left to fend for themselves while I'm at work!

Katie whatshername from the apprentice is probably in favour!

fraktion Sat 26-Jan-13 13:17:01

Can I quote you on that? Not the Katie whatserface bit - the feeding for himself.

GlaikitCheiftanOThePuddinRace Sat 26-Jan-13 13:37:18

You can if you want!

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Sun 27-Jan-13 18:42:54

Does anyone know why perfectly lovely weekends need to end with a tea-refusing mega-tantrum?

Weirdly, screaming for 30 minutes and then yelling "MUMMY MILK" at me aggressively makes me unwilling to comply.

It's a bit of a 'stubborn-off' round here.

chillikat Sun 27-Jan-13 20:15:05

So who's stubborn-ness won out UBW?

We've had a lovely family weekend - out for a meal yesterday lunchtime for DH's birthday then a day at home playing and learning new words today. This weekend we've added the words tortoise, crocodile, pipes and bee smile

Unfortunately she's now crying while DH tries to get her to sleep. She's had as much mummy milk as I can stand to give her - it's the wandering hands that I can't cope with - I'd feed her in a straitjacket if I could, though she's never been one for swaddling and would probably manage to escape hmm

JKSLtd Sun 27-Jan-13 20:38:48

Aww, I'm kind of envious though at those of you still BF smile
And then, strangely not!

We went swimming this afternoon then straight out to dinner at Frankie & Benny's, then home for a very quick, late bath and to bed.
All DC were brilliant but we pushed it a bit, some stressing at being over-tired. All well now though smile

Kittycatcat Sun 27-Jan-13 20:57:58

Very impressed some of you are still bf!! I'm just weaning A off. He's three bottles a day now and me through the night. Tho last night he went from 735-525. Both boys have been ill. A was sick yesterday and a bit today. Streaming noses.

Who won ubw?

GlaikitCheiftanOThePuddinRace Sun 27-Jan-13 21:26:24

Ah the tantrums begin!

It's Bs patch test tomorrow. Parking is severely limited at the hospital in Edinburgh ie none other than on street so I've decided to take the train. The walk from the station to the hospital passes DHs work so we'll pick him up on the way. Then we have to do the same again on Wednesday and Friday! It's all up hill! I'm going to die! smile please don't let him have a tantrum when they are trying to put the things on!

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Sun 27-Jan-13 23:03:35

I don't really know who won. I'm not convinced its over yet! It's a bit pathetic of me, isn't it.

He was really tired. This happens a lot. Tea time is just too late for him sometimes (5:30). DH put him to bed and he dropped off almost immediately.

Fortunately he has been munching most of the day. But I've still brought a drink and oaty biscuit (not his favourite fruit one, a boring sweet corn one) up to bed with me for when he (inevitably) wakes up hungry, 30 mins after I fall asleep.

DH said he feels sorry for me yesterday. He said he likes going to waitrose by himself because he gets to spend a lot it's time without he doesn't have to think about work stuff or F, apart from when he's cycling, or when he's out with his mate. But I don't do anything.

To which I replied, I'd like to do stuff, but what I want to do, I can't afford. And if I've got time, I'd rather be asleep.

I should spend his waitrose budget on a hobby, shouldn't I!

Fizz - hills aren't fun, but B will LOVE the train!

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Sun 27-Jan-13 23:33:11

Stray 'without' should be ignored, and a liberal number of hmm faces should be sprinkled in there.

I'm tired but need to numb my brain with mn gumf first. grin

Kittycatcat Mon 28-Jan-13 09:47:09

How you doing today ubw?

Yes fizz I think you might winkI like taking the boys to Colchester zoo but its so hilly hard work!

JKSLtd Mon 28-Jan-13 09:53:51

Kitty - we still haven't been to Colchester zoo, everyone says we should but in the same breath says how hard work it is!

UBW - I think either you need to do the Waitrose-wandering or find something that isn't too ££. I have my orchestras (x2) which don't cost much in subs/hall hire contributions but really take my mind off the kids/house/etc. Although obv I do pay babysitters too (always conveniently forget that!).

But actually I do find a wander round Waitrose is good for the soul <saddo!>, when alone of course!

Kittycatcat Mon 28-Jan-13 09:59:16

Let me know if you ever fancy meeting there jks. We can help each other up the hillsgrin

GlaikitCheiftanOThePuddinRace Mon 28-Jan-13 11:02:00

Have my choir UBW (iPad alway always to change that to UB40!), although now I'm in charge it's not quite as enjoyable as it was because I can't keep everyone happy all the time! I'm about to start a couch to 5k regime, and hour or so walking with an audio book on sounds like bliss, although the weather we have just now, not so much! I knit too, mostly for the woolly hugs and it is a great escape once B is in bed or playing on his own. There is loads you can do that doesn't cost much.

I've just written my steam mop review. I don't think they'll like it [eek].

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now