Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

April 2011: losing sleep and gaining shoes, toddlers share with us their news

(997 Posts)
ecuse Mon 01-Oct-12 17:34:02

I have taken the liberty of starting a new thread.

Pile in!

brew wine biscuit etc

Starshaped Sun 20-Jan-13 19:36:27

UBW - we've been having some rotten tantrums too, including a shocker at tea tonight. I think that Fizz's advice about making sure he's somewhere where he can't hurt himself and then ignoring (if you can!) is sound. I also read that you should never reward or punish a tantrum - basically do whatever you were going to do before the tantrum, regardless of how awful if it - and we've been sticking to that. Hopefully he'll be more like himself once he's back in his routine. In the meantime, wine.

Sorry you had to cancel Fizz sad - crap. I don't blame you for being pissed off with DH either. I'd be fuming. In fact, I'd be fuming regardless of the couch incident. It would really piss me off if DH didn't bother changing DD's nappy when he got her up. Surely that's just the first thing you'd think to do in the morning? Mind you, I might be a little bit OTT on the old nappy front. I'm always giving DD a fresh one - I think my SIL thinks I'm a loon.

Redundancy is crap Gsy. Is there much else around for him at the moment work wise? Fingers crossed for you anyway.

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Sun 20-Jan-13 19:55:15

Thanks, I really just needed to vent my anger frustration.

Fizz, I second exactly what Star has said. And to say you were 'huffy'... that would have been like bear baiting in this house.

I think F has finally gone to sleep. My brain has ground to a halt. I've already amazed myself at the amount of work I've done this week, so I'm going to attempt some more marking and then probably eat more cake veg out.

Starshaped Sun 20-Jan-13 20:18:14

Completely unrelated and boring question...when do you stop dressing toddlers in poppered vests?

DD still wears one every day but they're starting to get a bit short in the body (she's long). I've looked around but they seem to stop at 18 - 24 months. She's one of the younger Aprilites and is showing no sign of being ready for potty training. Do you just move them on to normal vest at two regardless?

chillikat Sun 20-Jan-13 22:02:29

We're still in poppered vests - they must be warmer in this weather. Though Stretching them round reusable nappies is a struggle sometimes, but I think it must keep the nappy in place too. No potty training signs here either thoguh I often ask her if she needs changing. The answer is usually a head shake.
M is going up to the next room at nursery soon - I've just been looking over her report from toddler room. Apparently she likes eating jelly when it's there to be played with. Doesn't seem to eat it at birthday parties though confused.

Time for bed for me. The weekend went belly up yesterday when M refused her nap making her too tired for tea and resulting in multiple wakings last night. Even though DH got up to her I was still awake and bringing banana up to offer to her I'm not good without sleep and was in a foul mood this morning. She's napped today and eaten well so fingers crossed for a good night.

Hope the tantrums improve. M has a great foot stamp grin

DS finished with the poppered vests at about 2ish, and didn't potty train until a good year later. I think the main reason apart from some doing potty training is that they just don't keep still long enough for you do up the poppers grin

Question for those with older DC, just curious but when were they/are they dry at night? DS will be 5 in April and shows no signs. I'm probably going to hold off doing anything until the summertime though. [lazymotheremoticon]

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Mon 21-Jan-13 08:10:55

Next do popper vests in 2-3 (got some at the weekend!) I should image ds3 will stop wearing them this summer as he won't need them in the heat and he will probably have outgrown the 2-3 by next winter. I love popper vests, they must be so warm and comfy!

Gsy - ds is 4 and a bit and nowhere near dry at night. The ability to be dry overnight is linked to the body releasing a hormone which stops/slows down the production of urine when asleep. Some children can be 2, some 7+. You can do lifting, but this doesn't train them to be dry at night, it just empties their bladder - iyswim.

Sorry to hear about the impending redundancy Gsy, fingers crossed something else comes along for your dh ASAP.

Your wet nappy story sounds v familiar fizz, It drives me nuts. Sorry about your weekend too. Hopefully you'll have another chance to celebrate.

Tantrums - ignore, ignore, ignore. Ds3 is my only boy to tantrum, so it's all bit of a revelation. He's a stubborn little so and so - it makes the days interesting confused grin

Lots of snow here!!

Starshaped Mon 21-Jan-13 09:48:31

Next it is then - thanks ILike, I will investigate!

Very jealous of people with snow. We've had loads of light snow here but it's really drizzly so there's only about a cm on the ground. I want more!

It's not stopped snowing here today.

I've just heard one of my work colleagues lost her baby at the weekend. She was due at the end of the month. sad

Kittycatcat Mon 21-Jan-13 10:45:51

That's so sad fizzsad

Daisy17 Mon 21-Jan-13 11:13:48

Oh Fizz. sad One of my best friends was due the week after me and his heart stopped beating at 41 weeks and he died before birth. Just the most unimaginably awful thing to go through.....

We aren't particularly close but she had SPD so I leant her the belt I bought and wedge pillow thing and passed on my coping tips, but I don't really know what to do, I'll maybe drop her a card later, you just feel so helpless for them.

JKSLtd Mon 21-Jan-13 14:09:56

How sad sad

DD still in popper vests for now but I don't think I have any bigger sizes stashed in the loft so she may be out of them if she eats grows anymore!

More light snow here today, DD loved going out for a play earlier smile

Starshaped Mon 21-Jan-13 14:47:01

sad Fizz. It's just unimaginable isn't it. Awful.

Our feeble attempt at snow has virtually all melted. Subtropical Manchester obviously!

Star I know why Manchester doesn't get so much snow but is very wet.

Weather from the west creates orographic precipitation for Manchester as it is on the windward side of the Pennines for that scenario.

Weather from the south east, north east or east means that places like Sheffield get the orographic precipitation and Manchester remains drier as its on the leeward side.

Snow tends to come from easterly directions. Rain tends to come from a westerly direction. Hence why Manchester is quite a wet city, but rarely gets proper snow.

Orographic precipitation is when air lifts and cools as it goes over hills/mountains. If the temperature lowers to dew point rain happens (broadly speaking)

I may have copied that from one on OhYouBadBadKittens threads

I've just had to go collect my steam mop fro m the city link depo. Bunch of useless twonks, said they couldn't deliver it because of snow, yet my little corsa made it there an back with no trouble! I have written a strongly worded email!

Can wait to try it out (it's my freebie one, did I mention that before?), need to tidy up the toys first though!

chillikat Mon 21-Jan-13 16:33:50

M is currently on the floor having a tantrum about her fleece. not sure if it's the zip or she just doesn't want it on but lots of kicking and tears.hmm confused Toddlers are weird.

B had a tantrum because I put his socks on earlier. Ended up going out with just his Wellies on, not worth the hassle to fight with him! I think we have mastered hat wearing! Will only wear it if put on whilst outside, as soon as we are inside or in the car it comes off. I can live with that! Now to tackle the mitten issue!

Starshaped Mon 21-Jan-13 18:11:51

Ha, I saw OYBBK's words of wisdom about Manchester too. Boo to the Pennines I say.

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Mon 21-Jan-13 18:28:31

So sorry for your colleague Fizz sad

I think our weather is the same type of thing. Our town even has a rain-themed nickname!

JKSLtd Mon 21-Jan-13 20:04:59

Have given up on mittens for a bit, just know that DD can't be outside for very long at the mo as her hands get so cold they hurt hmm
She wore her mittens for a few mittens in the snow this morning but once they got wet of course they came off, so then the clock was ticking before we had to give up and go in.
The boys were similar if i remember rightly.

Also, keep meaning to say for parents of girls (or long-haired boys with messy hair!) we've got this great hairbrush, friend with 2 DD's told us about, called a 'Tangle Teezer'. It really makes a massive difference to her hair and she tolerates/loves it.

I got ours from: here we got pink <hangs head!> and it arrived really quickly. Plus I got cashback through Quidco.

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Mon 21-Jan-13 23:05:24

F has kid's shark mitt/invicta/ski-snowboard-outdoor-sports/fcp-product/2978 these shark mittens

They're a bit expensive, so are sewn onto elastic and tied onto the neck loop of his jacket. He does love them though, and will wear them willingly when it's cold. They're also pretty water resistant and well insulated. I want some!

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Mon 21-Jan-13 23:06:05
UnderwaterBasketWeaving Mon 21-Jan-13 23:06:32
UnderwaterBasketWeaving Mon 21-Jan-13 23:07:07
UnderwaterBasketWeaving Mon 21-Jan-13 23:08:00

Good grief. Google invicta shark mittens and click the snow and rock link.

ridiculous machine

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Tue 22-Jan-13 08:10:00

How horribly sad about your friends baby Fizz, i'll be thinking of them all x

Ds3 actually worse mittens and a hat in the snow <faints>, which is why we were all able to play outside for 2 hours. Ds2 however has only got the mittens thing this year. He can be stubborn, but it clicked that he could play longer in the snow with his mittens on. They were from h&m and have been really good.

I've decided I'm going to buy thermals and cold weather gear for me and the boys in the sales for next winter. it makes such a difference if you're togged out properly. We go out in all weathers anyway so it will get used if it snows or not.

How's the steam mop fizz?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now