Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

April 2011: losing sleep and gaining shoes, toddlers share with us their news

(997 Posts)
ecuse Mon 01-Oct-12 17:34:02

I have taken the liberty of starting a new thread.

Pile in!

brew wine biscuit etc

Our babysitter is coming from Aberdeen on Saturday! I'm hoping she makes it, otherwise dinner bed and breakfast with a toddler will be interesting.

Kittycatcat Fri 18-Jan-13 08:37:21

Ladies what mattresses did you get for your toddler? S has a mothercare safe seal foam mattress. Cos Ahas the stokke I need to get the mattress for that but I'm going to get one made to fit it rather than pay the £ for the stokke one but there are so many choices...hypoallergenic foam, traditional coil sprung, coir and wool, pocket sprung,coir and wool sprung. Then the covers...cool feel (I think is the most similar to s's), silver care, cashmere, au natural, angora, bamboo! The stokke also turns into a bed so it'll need to last. I think. When we bought S's mattress we thought our next baby would have his cot so his mattress was only intended to last him til he moved into a bed so I'm guessing he will need a new one soon?

I haven't given Bs matters a second thought! We bought a mamas and papas foam and spring mattress and I expect it to last Until he needs a proper bed. Sorry that doesn't help your predicament, and now y have me wondering if he needs a new mattress!

Daisy17 Fri 18-Jan-13 10:55:47

Haha, Fizz, because your "until" had an accidental capital letter, I misread it as "last him till Uni"...... grin

Could I keep him in the cot til uni? The would save us enough for the fees!

Kittycatcat Fri 18-Jan-13 11:21:28

I think the spring ones last longer fizz. S's is foam x

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Fri 18-Jan-13 14:01:38

Silver care rings a bell Kitty. I think it was approx £100, sprung and from Mothercare. I remember getting a half decent one as ds3 has a cotbed and knew we would be using the mattress for 4+ years.

We've had naff all snow here so far <grumpy>

Starshaped Fri 18-Jan-13 14:17:25

Crap amount of snow here too. A dusting at most. I was promised blizzards on the weather topics too. Hmmmph.

We've got a relatively decent John Lewis mattress. We decided to spend a bit more in the desperate hope that it would buy us some sleep! DD has got a cotbed too, so we thought that it might be in use for a while.

Kittycatcat Fri 18-Jan-13 15:25:05

So possibly the pocket sprung with the silver cover. It's £120.

JKSLtd Fri 18-Jan-13 16:10:48

Not even a flake here yet hmph.

Promised tonnes on Sunday though grin

No idea about mattresses I'm clueless!

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Fri 18-Jan-13 17:22:10

Hello!

We woke up to a fair bit of very wet snow, and blizzard conditions. However, I eventually had to go to work.

F is in a second hand cot bed with the original mattress shock . It will last at least until he needs a single bed and any potential sibling the same duration. It will. grin

DH came home with Huggies Step In nappies last night, which did a good job of the bedtime poo requests and also contained everything till morning (including a largely blueberry inspired poo first thing grin )

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Fri 18-Jan-13 17:23:41

Oh, the mattress has got the zip-off top layer which goes in the wash, and has been fantastic

I don't think we paid £120 for our kingsize mattress kitty!

I'm sure this is the mattress we have, but it wasn't that price might have been a half price offer with the nursery set we bought.

Kittycatcat Fri 18-Jan-13 18:28:02

I've got to get it to fit the oval cot tho hmm

Starshaped Fri 18-Jan-13 19:01:12

DD has definitely got a more expensive mattress that us! We've got an Ikea special while she lounges in luxury. Something ain't right there...

Very envy of your snow UBW

Oh yeah forgot about that! A has an Austin Powers bed! Does it rotate?? grin

Snowing here, and an amber warning has just been issued for the area my friend needs to drive through tomorrow sad

Congratulations mrsWajs

The snow has even made it down here. Hopefully the cold will kill off some of the bugs going around. I've been ill since Sunday think it was that viral flu thing. Went to the dr today and it has developed into an infection on my lung. I've been given some antibiotics the size of horse pills, the first of which made me envy. In hindsight they were probably not best taken on an empty stomach. I've got no appetite at all. Am going to force feed myself a jacket potato in the hope the pill stays down on the next attempt.

To make things worse, DH is ill as well and P also has a cough so is waking at night and not her usual self. I am in high demand. DH is doing his bit, but we both resemble extras from the Walking Dead.

DH has also been told he'll be made redundent in June/July. This was not unexpected though, (they were never officially told what the plans were, but it was obvious, they've been downsizing and outsourcing for the last 18 months). He only stayed on to get the redundancy package wink

Kittycatcat Fri 18-Jan-13 23:11:44

Sorry to hear that gsy, fingers crossed for a decent payout and hope you all feel better soon.

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Sun 20-Jan-13 08:01:14

sorry to hear about the redundancy, GSY. Hope your DH finds something amazing in time for a smooth transition.

I need to vent...
We have the tantrumming non-sleeper from hell. He's developed a grating spoiled-brat-esque whine, which then develops into a full on rigid, back arching (then fish flopping if you try to pick him up) lie on the floor screaming tantrums. These are usually over some fluid, ever-changing toddler logic e.g. 'no bib, no bib, no bib, want bib, bib on' etc.

The sleep thing: he wakes every night somewhere between 11:30-12-30 seemingly just to have an enormous tantrum. And recently he's then been waking up every hour-40 minutes after.

I could deal with it when he had the pox, but it's all scabbed up now. He's hoarse, but I'm sure that's from the screaming, since he hasn't mixed with anyone to catch a cold from for a week.

Jeebus, it's like having a big angry newborn. And I am NOT ready for that!

How long do the terrible twos last? Will he (and I) ever sleep again?

...thank you for listening, I feel much better already grin

Kittycatcat Sun 20-Jan-13 09:23:55

Sending hugs and coffee ubw. brew

Could it be teeth UBW, b wakes up screaming blue murder. We now just dose with calpol and wait for him to calm down.

We have the odd meltdown when we take something from him, usually my iPad blush but I find distraction works best here and a quick episode of Mickey Mouse club house again blush

Can't I have a mini rant please about DH. He got up with B this morning and it has always pissed me off he just lifts him and doesn't change his nappy that he has had on since bedtime. This morning he did his usual. I came down, sorted my breakfast, b was sitting in "my" seat on the sofa so I sat on the other sofa, finished breakfast, b is now playing so I move back to my seat and its soaking wet. I ask dh if b had split his water or something and he tells me his nappy leaked before I got up. I asked if he had washed it, nope, he's been busy! He left my sofa piss soaked, let B sit in it and then let me sit in it without doing anything about it. He had changed B and got him dressed, but that's not much good when you then let him sit back on the pissy seat! angry Now he's sulking upstairs because I "got huffy" with him.

In case you were wondering, my friend didn't make it down from Aberdeen yesterday to babysit, so we had to cancel our anniversary night away. This may have something to do with my mood.

Kittycatcat Sun 20-Jan-13 09:57:51

Oh fizz I'm so sorry you had to cancel hmm and you have every right to be mad at dh that's just lazy and stoopid. Grrr

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Sun 20-Jan-13 18:08:33

Aaargh, the tantrums..... <tears out hair>

OH UBW, ((hugs)), he is probably still feeling out of sorts with the pox. They'll be dead itchy now they are scabbed over.

If he is tantrumming, make sure is is somewhere he can hurt himself and is safe and walk away. I think that's what I would do if I was at the ends of my rope.

Is it an "I want my own way" tantrum or a "I'm not right" tantrum?

I hope you are ok. Remember this too shall pass. wine

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Sun 20-Jan-13 18:46:43

I think it's tiredness. As you would expect if you'd been up hourly overnight. Completely irrational and fluid logic.

Screaming because he's in bed, kicking the covers off then screaming because head got no.covers. Same for bear. Have tantrum, chuck bear our of bed, have tantrum because bear is out of reach. Bear is given back (or not after the 4th or 5th time) Repeated continuously.

Earlier it was because he didn't want tea. Ok we said. So he hard tantrum about that too. Tantrum because he wanted to sit up at the table and then immediately because he wants to get down.

tiredness and power? He has inherited Stubborn, unfortunately. He hasn't inherited the desire and ability to sleep for 14 hours straight, despite good pedigree.

Back to the cm tomorrow, back to normal routine. She'll sort him out. She's wonder woman.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now