Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

April 2011: losing sleep and gaining shoes, toddlers share with us their news

(997 Posts)
ecuse Mon 01-Oct-12 17:34:02

I have taken the liberty of starting a new thread.

Pile in!

brew wine biscuit etc

MrsWajs Wed 09-Jan-13 10:27:30

I guess this is the work up to the terible 2's?? Ideal, I can't wit to be right in the midst of it with a newborn!!!

Morning sickness has kicked in with gusto this morning sad No actual vomitting but I feel absolutely horrific! I am now thankful for bee movie as it is providing some much needed distraction! Sea bands are firmly on and I'm working up to brushing my teeth and maybe having a shower!! Bleughh!!

Starshaped Wed 09-Jan-13 11:43:29

Nappy changes are hard work here too. P has developed a tendency to kick me really hard when I'm trying to do them. She thinks it's hilarious. I on the other hand am not so impressed...

JKSLtd Wed 09-Jan-13 19:56:13

Thought DD was being better today until she threw a right wobbly when DS2 wouldn't let her have his Thomas pictures hmm
She's definitely 'better' at the strop/throwing self on the floor/etc than either boy ever was.

Wanted to ask those with little girls - what do you do with their hair? DD's is craz-ee and gets all matted and messy and she's not a fan of proper brushing/combing.
I tried my conditioner tonight and it was better.
Any other tips?

GsyPotatoMincePieEyed Wed 09-Jan-13 23:39:49

I am equally confused by the world of toddler hairstyling jks DD has very fine wispy hair which has a mind of it's own. Hairdresser advised me not to have it cut yet but I don't know how long I can hold out as she is developing a bit of a shock mullet.

JKSLtd Thu 10-Jan-13 08:07:58

Lol Gsy.
DD's is fine and curly so gets into a right state. Cute though smile

Interesting that the hairdresser said not to cut it yet. Another gender difference we're going to have to get used to - DH currently takes both boys to the barbers and all 3 get their hair cut.
I'm going to have to take DD somewhere else aren't I? confused

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Thu 10-Jan-13 08:09:43

Lol @ mullet. Why did the hairdresser say not to cut it?

Ds2 has a double crown so we are trying to find a style that suits him that doesn't involve a pudding basin or shaving it all off.

JKS there is a brush that people swear by, I think it's called a tangle teaser. If her hair is long enough to plait, then plaits are always a good way to tame wild hair - and you can keep it in when they sleep. Which can also help keep it under control!

I have two regrets about not having a girl. 1. No pretty tights. 2. Not having any hair to play with. My niece has to put up with me trying styles out on her instead! Last week it was a 5 piece braid and a fishtail plait. Both of which I was shit at!

Kittycatcat Thu 10-Jan-13 10:04:57

A just rolled onto his back for the first time

chillikat Thu 10-Jan-13 15:30:21

Well done A grin

B has a mullet going on too! He has been "blessed" hmm with my hairline, which resembles a balding man, so he has no hair at his temples but a bit of a widows peak going on. Then the back is long and a bit curly/frizzy/Afro -esque! Poor boy! However the hair on top is coming through blond with a hint of a ringlet! grin

Ooh, and whoop for a rolling A!

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Thu 10-Jan-13 17:49:51

hello!

Yay for mullets and rolling grin

I trimmed the mullety back of F's hair a while back. it's still really thin on top though.

Hope no-one minds if I have a pfb moment?

F was at nursery today (as opposed to cm who he goes to the other 4 days) and they've decided he's ready to go up to the 2-3's room already! One of the staff was telling me she does cover and has worked in several of the nurseries in town and he's apparently really clever. (she said something like the most advanced 21mo she's come across. I do wonder about the other children she works with! Perhaps it's the difference between f/t nursery and nearly f/t cm?)

Now, we're very flattered and glad he's doing well, but I really don't think he's that advanced! He seems much the same as his friends.

I think because he's little in stature (between 9th & 25th centile) but good with words, the effect is magnified. Certainly no-one is considered a genius at 23 for knowing their colours!

I hope they remember he's still emotionally very little, and unlikely to potty train any time soon. And hopefully he'll grow a bit too.

GsyPotatoMincePieEyed Thu 10-Jan-13 20:01:15

Because in the words of the hairdresser "if we cut it at the back she'll just look like a boy" I am also emotionally scared as my mum kept my hair short as a youngster and if I wore trousers I was often mistaken for a boy. In the end I refused to wear trousers and nagged and nagged until eventually at age 5, she relented and I was allowed to grow my hair long. I can still remember my excitement the first time I had bunches in my hair.grin

Yay for a rolling A kitty

MrsWajs Fri 11-Jan-13 08:37:58

JKS I can't advise on girls hair yet as R still has very little sad She gets mistaken for a boy ALL the time, even when she's wearing a pink coat!? And ILTMI Fishtails?????? Seems I have a lot of things to learn about girls hair, there was never any plaiting going on in my hair when I was little!!

Any tips for my own minging pg hair?! It's horrible just now, had momentarily forgotten about this stage and was hoping to skip straight to thick and glossy!! It's doing my head in sad

Yay for A rolling Kitty he seems to be growing up very quickly!

UBW R's nursery informed me she is also starting the transition for 2-3's next month shock Apparently she and Ben (whoever Ben is) have excellent language skills and are ready to go!! Eep. Like you I don't think she's particularly advanced but then again I don't have much to compare it too, although DSS was slower with speech but I just thought girls were maybe quicker at talking anyway? I feel a bit sad for her as she'll be coming out of nursery in September once I go on mat leave and won't return until the following June, I hope this doesn't affect her too much.

So I had MW yesterday for booking in part 1. Got my notes and lots of other info, got weighed and height measured etc. They've dated me 6 days ahead of my own dates despite me telling them my UCL etc. So scan will be on 12th Feb now - only 4 weeks to go smile Have booking in part 2 for bloods etc on 21st, no idea why they don't just do it all together but hey ho. Also my friend told me yesterday she was pg too with no. 2. She only returned from mat leave after no. 1 on Wednesday!! She's panicking slightly about telling work!

I have my boy back! Yay!

Kittycatcat Fri 11-Jan-13 11:26:08

Yay fizz

And yay to appts mrsw.

And yay to clever children.

I'm miffed cos the friend I spent Wednesday with just text that her daughter has chickenpox. I'm not cross at her cos she couldn't have known. Just miffed in general that A will prob have caught it and ill have to be housebound AGAIN.

Aw kitty that's rubbish, but A may still have some immunity from you. He might not get it. S might though sad

B has just eaten 2 of my jammie dodgers when I nipped to the loo. I stupidly left them on the coffee table, but out my tea out of reach! That'll learn me!!

Kittycatcat Fri 11-Jan-13 11:31:34

Hehe

S had it when he was 7 months

Did he!? Oops! Must check my spreadsheet! Well that's even better!

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Fri 11-Jan-13 13:07:00

The early days of pregnancy can be hideous. maybe dry shampoo might help?

I wouldn't worry about taking R out of nursery. She might not be going to nursery, but she'll be spending time with her favourite person instead smile

Fingers crossed A wont have been exposed. I think most non moving babies tend to catch it from a sibling. Although S already wrecks that theory doesn't he!! But do keep an eye on S as if you have it under 1 year you can contract it again (especially if hey only had it mildly). Neither of mine have had it yet, I don't know why though as ds2 has been in really close proximity to people who were brewing it.

I have decided I have had enough of this dull weather. Either we can get lots of snow or spring can arrive. I have had enough of the dark mornings and general greyness of it all. How have you adjusted to the weather Frak ?

JKSLtd Fri 11-Jan-13 14:23:33

Poss snow Sun/Mon ILike - will that do for you? grin

DS1 is desperately hoping for lots on Mon as I've promised him a snow day when it happens again + that I'll do snowmen with him smile

Starshaped Fri 11-Jan-13 15:02:52

envy of snow. We're only forecast sleet. I want big flakes of the white stuff!

Glad that B is on the mend Fizz and hope A is ok kitty.

Kittycatcat Fri 11-Jan-13 16:46:49

What's on your spreadsheet fizz? Lol

He had it horrendously ilike so fingers crossed.

Ach, I don't have a spreadsheet <flips laptop down> but sometimes I think I should have to keep track of you all! I remember The Gsy house getting the pox but not S Kitty! I'm terrible for getting you all confused in my head!

Think B has hit the wall, currently lying beside me on the sofa with buzz lightyear. Might bath him early.

Kittycatcat Fri 11-Jan-13 17:37:49

I often have to look at the fb doc

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now