Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

April 2011: losing sleep and gaining shoes, toddlers share with us their news

(997 Posts)
ecuse Mon 01-Oct-12 17:34:02

I have taken the liberty of starting a new thread.

Pile in!

brew wine biscuit etc

Kittycatcat Fri 04-Jan-13 23:22:54

On the shop for dribble bibs. Did somebody on here recommend somewhere aaaaaaaages ago. S's are from funky giraffe.

Kittycatcat Fri 04-Jan-13 23:25:21

Ps blinkin cars confused

Did bubs settle fizz?

Contraception - I'm thinking pill when I stop bf which will be rather soon if A doesn't stop 'biting'me. Worried it'll make his reflux worse but have to wean from next month anyway...

GsyPotatoMincePieEyed Sat 05-Jan-13 01:49:26

I would highly recommend www.bandana-bibs.co.uk kitty
They were the first in the UK to do the bandana style. P's have lasted really well. They always come up lovely and soft in the wash too.

I've just taken the last of the Xmas decorations down. I started this afternoon but then gave up as DS kept sneaking things back onto the tree when I wasn't looking. grin.

I'm off to have a glass of milk and try and finish reading the last 20 pages of my book. I need to take it back to work tomorrow as 2 other people have requested it this week and I may have had it for a little longer than I really should have. (our only staff perk = no overdue charges).

Lovely to hear of people's plans for DC2. I got broody again when DS hit his 2nd birthday. Before that I was adamant I only wanted one DC (although I did keep all the baby stuff just in case). My 2 are 12 days short of a 3 year age gap and it has worked out really well for us. Money IS a lot tighter as I work half the amount of hours but I'm so glad we went for it as our family really feels complete now. BTW I definitely have no plans for DC3. I have sold/given away all the baby stuff.

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Sat 05-Jan-13 07:02:25

Morning.

We got home last night. All good.

F woke up at 5, and when I came back to bed, DH announced he feels sick. Oh dear. Naturally I freaked out (albeit quietly), couldn't then get back to sleep so I've got up and anti-bac'd the whole downstairs!

We don't need a stupid bug.

Any other tips to avoid me & F catching it?

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Sat 05-Jan-13 09:50:12

blush I need an <overreaction> emoticon.

DH reckons he feels fine how he's up. grin

Bonus: house is definitely cleaner!

Yes he just had more wind than I thought!

They were both really good, but the 3 year old try to play me! Saying he had to take the dog for a walk as mummy wast there to do it! And that he slept on the shelving unit not his bed!

Good insight to what it might be like with a 3year old and a new born!

at the hospital with Blair. he has a fever and is really lethargic. nhs24 sent us right here when I calld them. I'm a bit scared.

Starshaped Sun 06-Jan-13 12:44:11

Oh Fizz <holds hand> - how is he now? Hopefully it's just one of those things and NHS Direct are being cautious. Is your DH with you?

Ok we are home. He has a cold! Was full of beans when being examined. Turning me into a liar he is! Temp was back down to 36.8. Even the dc was surprised because he was hot to touch.

Kids eh? confused

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Sun 06-Jan-13 13:04:19

Glad he's ok, Fizz

JKSLtd Sun 06-Jan-13 13:28:43

Scary stuff. Both boys have had similar here.
DS2 is scarier as he has SN and can't really explain, just goes all droopy and hot.
DS1 is easier, though whinges more hmm

With both a dose of Neurofen seemed to do the trick. I've even been creeping in and giving DS1 some in the night when I go to bed as he's sweating like crazy.
Both seem better today though so it does pass, if it's the same thing.

Now it looks like nothing is wrong with him! He was all droopy this morning, wouldn't even stand in his cot (he usually trying to climb out) and clung to me like a limpet, and screaming if dh went near him. I was more worried because the temp started on Friday and wasn't shifting. But doc said no sign of an infection anywhere, oxygen levels are normal. It might be a uti, but as he is still weeing that's u likely. Give him another couple of days and if no better back to the GP.

He has just scoffed a cheese sandwich like he hasn't eaten for a month! And is now "cleaning" with his new trolley!

Kittycatcat Sun 06-Jan-13 14:23:43

Glad he's ok fizz

Daisy17 Sun 06-Jan-13 14:25:59

Sounds exactly like whatever S had. Temps are so scary. Glad all is back to normal, S is back to full cylinders today but highly snotty!

Starshaped Sun 06-Jan-13 18:57:26

What a relief Fizz smile

He's still not right. I'm now over analysing everything he is doing. Would the GP think I was a hypochondriac to bring him down again today? I'm sure this isn't just a bad cold, his nose isn't running anymore, his cough is hardly there now, but he is so sleepy. Fever keeps coming back as calpol is wearing off.

fraktion Mon 07-Jan-13 10:51:45

Go and ask for blood tests. Even if the dog doesn't think it's necessary you asking should make them consider other things.

Does he have any kind of rash? When M had roseola it started with a really high temp then the rash came out.

No rash other than his eczema. Temps been high since Friday. Called doc, waiting for a call back.

Kittycatcat Mon 07-Jan-13 12:49:14

Keep us posted fizz. Hope he's ok

JKSLtd Mon 07-Jan-13 12:56:44

Hope he's ok Fizz.

That's what the doc is there for so don't hold back if you're worried. A good doc knows Mum knows her DC best.

Starshaped Mon 07-Jan-13 13:12:39

I'd take him back to the GP Fizz. No half decent doctor is going to mind seeing a poorly 1 year old again.

Hope he's ok.

Doc phoned, gave him the history and his last 3 temp readings. He said to keep up the calpol and nurofen and fluids. He offered me an appointment, but when I said he was sleeping right now he said to not wake him then but to call back if I'm still worried confused. But he's sure what the ooh doc said yesterday was right. His temp is actually stable hovering around 37.5 and he is generally a warm baby. He does chirp up when he gets calpol. And was happily playing I his tent before he made the sleepy signs.

Urgh, I don't know. I'm loving all the sofa snuggles thoughsmile

Kittycatcat Mon 07-Jan-13 16:14:19

Can't beat a snuggle.

Had A weighed today. 13.3. Going to start him on formula in ten days when he's four months, ready for my return to 'the place we wont mention'. The hv recommended aptimil comfort cos of his reflux and wind. Anyone used it? Worth it or just use the standard one? Also, can't remember what I did last time? Alternate boob and bottle?

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Tue 08-Jan-13 16:08:07

How is B today Fizz? On the mend I hope.

I don't know much about formula Kitty, but I am led to believe that the comfort formulas are a load of old guff/ clever marketing.

Ds3 has been a right flipping handful at the moment - very wilful. My patience has been tested to its limit. Lots of spitting - not at people or in anger, but spitting nonetheless.

Today was the start of the pre school term for ds2, so I thought we would all start walking there, ie no buggy for ds3. It's a short walk and easily manageable for him. The walk there was fine, enjoyable almost. The walk back took 30 minutes (it should take 10 max at ds3 pace.)

He protested about leaving the pre school -fine, I can understand that. He wouldn't let me hold his hand. He then sat down on the path and refused to budge - even when I said bye and walked out of view. When he decided he was feeling in a better mood, he got up and started walking - but backwards. Backwards?!?! He walked backwards all the way home confused

Luckily the day got better. We had a great time at toddler group and the walk to and from pre school pick up went well. No doubt because ds2 was there.

He can't start pre school until September. That's months of having to forcibly remove him from the building 4 days a week.

B is much better today, still not right but less clingy. I kept him at home. My boss sounded mightily pissed off when I called in. But feck her if she thinks the pulling out paperwork for auditors is more important than the health of my child, she is deluded! I did offer to do some work from home but she stropily said no. I'm guessing I won't be getting paid leave this time! Ah well, never mind.

Kitty, comfort formula is slightly thicker than normal formula, making it heavier on the stomach so weighing down the reflux. Like how gaviscon is heavy. Is A still getting gaviscon? I would give normal formula a go first. My RL AnteNatal chums dd had reflux and she used aptimil like me but bought those dr brown bottles after using the normal avent ones first. She swore by them for preventing wind.

When I was weaning b off my ebm I started by switching the lunchtime bottle to formula then the morning ones and finally the afternoon ones and the bed time one last because I read somewhere about bm being better to encourage sleep, and was lighter on the tummy. Will you still combination feed when you go back to the place with no name? Maybe not morning, after reading what your schedule is going to be like! But bedtime?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now