Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

April 2011: losing sleep and gaining shoes, toddlers share with us their news

(997 Posts)
ecuse Mon 01-Oct-12 17:34:02

I have taken the liberty of starting a new thread.

Pile in!

brew wine biscuit etc

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Wed 02-Jan-13 23:22:56

Hello,

We're at DM's again on the second leg of this trip. F's temperature was back to normal yesterday (we gave calpol at bedtime, Daisy, and had it on hand for top ups on Sunday night).

Today he's developed a rash, which I'm thinking is going to turn into chicken pox spots (given the classic previous exposure and incubation time) but at the moment it's looking just general viral-rashy. He's supposed to be staying with DM tomorrow while we go on to a posh hotel.

He's been fine in himself the last 2 days. I hope he's fine tomorrow (albeit rashy) too. We'll decide in the morning, and I'm only an hour away. confused

MrsWajs Thu 03-Jan-13 01:50:37

Wow Kitty your working day is giving me palpitations!! I am firmly burying my head in the sand for now re: childcare once I come back after no. 2. He/she has scuppered my plans of having R in funded child care at 3 so I was only paying one set of fee's!! Now I don't know what to do - take R out of nursery while I'm on mat leave to save ££'s? She really likes going and it would be nice to have a day where it was just me and baby but then it's gonna cost around £150 a month just for the one day which could be better spent on other things since I'll be off anyway. Ugh I dunno. Will cross that bridge nearer the time.

GlaikitFizzHogmany Thu 03-Jan-13 09:55:34

MrsW consider a childminder for one day a week when you are on mat leave. Or even a few hours. £3.50 and hour is what our charges and when he's 2 he qualifies to go to the local playgroup for a few hours a day. Anything like that near you?

GlaikitFizzHogmany Thu 03-Jan-13 13:10:59

Oh my god! DHs car has a puncture now! Give me strength!

fraktion Thu 03-Jan-13 14:25:30

[strength]

Seriously that sounds like PITA, Fizz.

How long are you having off MrsW? Would you be able to get R's space back and do the nursery do sibling discounts? Will you carry on using a nursery when you go back to work, given that in 2 years you'll be thinking about school and juggling the logistics of 1 in nursery, 1 in school so a CM might be a better bet and you could build a relationship with one now.

GlaikitFizzHogmany Thu 03-Jan-13 15:11:28

That's both cars cost us over £250 in 2 days.

Kittycatcat Thu 03-Jan-13 17:08:42

Ouch

Starshaped Thu 03-Jan-13 22:07:22

Kitty - that commute sounds horrid. Don't think I could face a 5:30 work related start every day.

Childcare costs are ridiculous aren't they? One of the reasons we're putting off TTC again is because it wouldn't be worth me working if we had two in nursery. I'm not sure if our nursery offers a sibling discount and there's no way we could afford the best part of £500 a week. I think we're going to try and hang on until the 15 hours free entitlement starts. However after last night's OBEM, I am broody as can be. Very envy of you MrsW.

Also envy of your £3.50 an hour childminder Fizz. Maybe I should consider relocating!! Not so jealous of your £250 car repair bill(s) though. Not what you need straight after Christmas...

Ps: how's the oven? Did the door ever open?! And how did Christmas dinner without it go - did I miss the conclusion to the saga over the break?

Oven still kaput! Dad failed to fix it, but managed Christmas dinner with the slow cooker and halogen oven.

Need to phone the repair man tomorrow, but putting it off for fear of how much it will cost!

I am minding friends 4month old tomorrow <eek> as she off to a child free wedding, then I've got her 3 year old from 5.30 til bedtime! What do you do with babies again??

fraktion Thu 03-Jan-13 22:34:23

You cuddle them and they're supposed to sleep, although my one never did! Good luck fizz!

Ladies I have a dilemma. I just started my own digital communication consultancy business and I have one client in my area who has me on retainer, plus interest from others, and I've done some writing for someone in the music industry which is waaaay out of my area. This someone needs essentially a full time PR person and asked me if I'd like the job.

Pros: I can name my price, it would be lots of travel, it's a very lucrative industry, she's a lovely person
Cons: she's already quite demanding, it would be lots of travel, I would be starting from scratch as I have no contacts whatsoever and it would be freelance so not even with an established agency behind me whose name I can trade on

If I succeed it will be amazing. If I fail it will be awful. What do I do?!

My friend is in PR Frak. Her motto is fake it til you make it grin Not sure how that helps you, but thought I'd share!

What has your other clients got y doing? Which would y enjoy most? And if you don't at least try would y always be thinking "what if"?

Are they famous??? <nosey>

fraktion Thu 03-Jan-13 22:53:11

They are but not in the UK (yet).

Aaaargh. It's a part of the industry I never thought I would work in but I technically have the credentials that a graduate entry person would have plus communications experience. I've just never done event management and pandering. I do words confused

Did you organise your own wedding = event management experience in my book at least!
Moving half way across the world = logistics experience
Having a child = peace envoy to the un!!

Seriously, only you can make the decision, but it sounds exciting. We can all live vicariously through you and your new sleb mates! smile

I'm off to bed! Long day tomorrow!

MrsWajs Fri 04-Jan-13 00:54:49

Oooh frak that sounds interesting! I agree with Fizz - fake it til you make it! You can only give it your best shot and if you turned it down would you forever be thinking "what if?"

My advice is also based solely on the fact that you might soon have sleb mates grin

At a cost of £3.50 an hour I'd only be marginally better off using a childminder than the nursery Fizz and I don't think the fiver extra in my pocket would be worth the upheaval for R.

Will be off for around 9 months again frak possibly 10 if I include annual leave, so I would return to work roughly in May 2014 and R would be entitled to her funded place as of the August that year, so actually if I took her out after baby arrives and saved the money I would have spent on fee's from then until May it would cover me for the 3 months I would need them both in nursery until she was funded? I love it when a plan comes together!! I'm not sure they do sibling discount at my nursery but will ask nearer the time. I'm sure once I remove her I can rebook her place at the time as I know waiting lists are long and will need to book new baby in then too.

MrsW I saw your OBEM comment on Fb and so so very nearly posted an "outing" comment! When RL and MN secrets collide!! Do you have a MW appointment yet?

I don't think we'll be in the baby news this year camp. Dh and I had a big chat about it over new year and we both think we should hang fire maybe another year at least.

So I need to sort out contraception. I really want to avoid hormonal contraception because of the problems I had after the depo. But barring condoms what else is there? What ever I use will be backed up with a condom, but I don't want to just rely on them IYKWIM. Is copper coil the only non hormonal thing on the market?

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Fri 04-Jan-13 09:01:59

I've got a copper coil, Fizz, works brilliantly for me. Period is a bit heavier for one day each time, but that's it.

I'm not a fan of hormonal contraception either, we did 5 years of Natural Family Planning before F, but I was terrified of getting pregnant again in F's first year and wanted something more reliable!

fraktion Fri 04-Jan-13 09:15:57

How's the suspected chickenpox UBW?

I smiled a secret knowing smile when I saw your OBEM status MrsW (which incidentally I have never watched so don't get the broodiness factor).

I have no advice on contraception fizz. We do NFP and our reliable method for the first year was <ahem> abstinence pretty much. Condones on the rare occasion we did.

I wouldn't have sleb mates ;) I'd have a lot of sleb acquaintances who would view me as their sleb mate's minion.

JKSLtd Fri 04-Jan-13 10:11:53

Condoms for us.

Who knows what's best really. I'm tempted to go back to the pill as it worked well (aside from PCOS issues when I came off it) and if we're not going for DC4 then I shouldn't be worrying about future fertility.

Goes back to the whole DC4 or not discussion though...

NFP wouldn't work for us because of my haywire cycles I don't think. OPKs don't work for me because according to them I hadn't ovulated for 18 months of peeing them every day. Hence my shock when we found out B was on he way! Will investigate the copper coil further. smile

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Fri 04-Jan-13 10:38:05

I think it turned out to be the Pox that never was.

He had a bit of a red rash that looked like a heat rash on Wednesday night. He was fine Thursday morning so we dashed off, and DM text later to say she couldn't see a rash at all.

So I don't know what that was. And we could still develop the pox in time for going back to work on Monday.

No progress on the #2 talks here. I think I'm leaning towards a heart over head decision to go for another in a year or two, DH has gone into denial about it.

Daisy17 Fri 04-Jan-13 11:53:01

Pill here, seems to suit me ok. Have sometimes thought about copper coil though, as nice not to take hormones but am a bit squeamish about feeling it, it getting lost etc! Any opinions from those who have it?
Hope pox never appears, UBW, S appears to have had unspecified virus, temp has gone nearly back to normal but he's turned into a snot monster, poor lamb.....
Think we've finally come to happily mutual decision to not think about #2 until S is 3/4. It'll be pushing it a bit as I'm 37 next month but we both agree we'd cope way better with a bigger gap, re sleep and tantrums etc! And if it doesn't happen, well, that's ok too.

Daisy17 Fri 04-Jan-13 11:59:55

Frak would love to advise but am notoriously risk averse comfort zone dweller so not much use! You sound much braver than me so you'd probably love it. grin

Starshaped Fri 04-Jan-13 13:44:34

Pill works fine for me as I have hideous periods without it, so I'm sticking to that. I was glad to get back on it once I finished BF. I've got a couple of months supply left and once they've been used up, we might leave nature to her own devices...

DD was conceived within a couple of months under similar circumstances (not really trying but not trying to stop it from happening IFKWIM) - however I suspect it might take longer this time round.

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Fri 04-Jan-13 14:16:48

Well we've just joined expensive car club. Car died as we tried to leave the hotel this morning. Towed to a garage, where it will now stay for a week.

We're on the train back to DM's. She's a legend and is going to lend us her car for the week. We'll collect ours next weekend.

How ridiculous.

Urgh, I feel your pain UBW!

Ok so I'm 3 hours in to babysitting. We have had one vomit, one Poonami refusal to sleep, and hiccups. Currently bouncing him in the hope he will drop off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now