Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

FEB 2010 Two and a half to three...the "contrary age" (no it isn't! yes it is!)

(989 Posts)

Come in, sit down, fresh coffee is brewing, Prosecco's in the fridge for later and there's a bumper box of Lindt chocolates for all....

SurvivalOfTheUnfittest Wed 09-Jan-13 23:06:38

"Twinkle twinkle chocolate bar, my Dad drives a rusty old car. Push the button, pull the choke, off we go in a cloud of smoke! Twinkle twinkle chocolate bar, my dad drives a rusty old car!" Hope that helps CP!! I'm still getting a very noisy rendition of Jingle Bells at about 3a.m. Sometimes it's on the monitor and sometimes, when I'm deeply asleep, in my ear when he's crept into my bed (having sent DH into the spare room as I'm knackered and he snores/shuffles/talks/hunts for spiders under the bed in his sleep!) I don't really have a hope of good sleepers with him as their father do I?!!

CP I'm glad you said that about the spell in hospital for Scones DD2 as I wasn't aware either.

Liking the story BC and yeh for the calmer times with DS. I've felt awful going back to work as DS2 is not happy to go to nursery.

SC how's the ear adventure? Hope the object is now removed.

IC DS2 has eczema all over his bottom at the moment although it doesn't really seem to bother him. I keep pondering a GO appointment but unless there's a fingernail missing or a head requiring stitching, I'm trying to keep away from the NHS for a bit!! (And poor DS2 is so happy go lucky that he wouldn't complain, while DS1 would probably be complaining bitterly) <reminds self to go and give DS lots of attention>.

DS2 had his first experience of flying a kite a the weekend. He looked completely non-plussed! I thought it was great though, so we will be repeating the activity. (In fact, having spent ages helping DS1 to write up his holidays and glueing in pics, the Head teacher saw him first thing yesterday morning and asked if anything good had happened over Christmas. You can guess DS1's response!! Luckily, I whipped out the homework to show him!!)

And finally, before bed.. I had a cleaner over for two hours on Tuesday. House done from top to bottom for the price of £20. As DS2 gets his 15 free hours in April, I reckon I can justify the cost. I feel that I will never look back and wish I'd done more cleaning, but will definitely look back and wish I'd spent more time with the boys.

Climbingpenguin Thu 10-Jan-13 08:42:27

where did she learn that!

Bearcrumble Thu 10-Jan-13 09:34:05

The lady at our local surestart centre taught us that version. DS likes it too. I prefer twinkle twinkle little bat!

Yes we rang the out of hours gp service the night her temp spiked and FiL drove into Norwich to get some Ibuprofen from the last late night chemist just as it was shutting. By alternating Paracetamol and Nurofen we managed to get it down to 39.5 but she was very resistant to taking the Nurofen and threw up quite violently once or twice so it was pretty stressful. We took her as a temporary resident to the health centre up there on the Friday but she was fine during the day and it all went to shit again that night. The GP up there said he thought she might have an ear infection - the gunk didn't start coming until we were back in London at the weekend and she was a lot better.

DH has taken DS to my mum's for the day so I am deciding what to do.

DD didn't sleep well again last night (thanks for thoughts, BTW) - think we may have to do some sort of sleep training. Will give it a bit longer, especially as I have nowhere safe to put her if I am not in the room with her. My bed is too far off the floor. I think we could get a toddler bed for DS and give her his cotbed.

How's your DD doing Bc?

Yep, our local toddler groups do that version of Twinkle, twinkle... too. Plus extra verses to Baa baa, black sheep..., Row, row, row your boat and Ring-a-ring-roses.... I tell you, it's all changed since I was a girl...!

Survival when DS only had patches on his legs, I wasn't too bothered - especially as they seemed to be clearing up with a few applications of coconut oil. It's the itchy patch on his forehead that's annoying - him and me, especially in the small hours. Ah well. It seemed a bit better today, so hopefully the Pure Potions/Calendula regime is helping it.....

Climbingpenguin Thu 10-Jan-13 20:36:45

I guess nursery must have done it then as otherwise I would be aware of that version.

i found the hardest thing with DS was keeping on top of his nails.

DS's tongue tie had reattached so we had round two today. He was still feverish last night so I think he will be very sore and sorry for himself tomorrow. On top of driving to London for that I also took DD to tumbletots and took them both round ikea afterward the dentist. which was fine until I dropped the fries I had brought myself. Still easier than staying at home with them and all ran quite smoothly.

I have worked out the hair issues. She cut the short layer too long (which was what they tried to fix) and the long layer too short. Going to go back and request cheap cutting next time since I now have to wait it out. I'll be fine if the hairdresser who cut it isn't there or can overhear. It was trying to explain to her colleague what the problem was that set me off, didn't want her getting in trouble/feeling bad.

stoofadoof Thu 10-Jan-13 21:41:10

<quick wave> no internet nights going well, but I can't keep up grin

been awake since 12.45am… (busy busy busy head) i'm off to bed

Climbingpenguin Thu 10-Jan-13 22:00:00

<points out I am on internet as DH is having an extra night out> grin

plus I am supposedly doing some work but actually seriously thinking about bed

12:45am shock

SocietyClowns Thu 10-Jan-13 22:22:50

Internet doesn't count if it's on my phone, right? grin

SurvivalOfTheUnfittest Thu 10-Jan-13 22:47:27

I'm thinking of trying the calendula on DS1's scar IC so will be interested to see how you find it.

Stoof hope you get more sleep tonight. DH seems to be coming down with some sort of lurgy and DS2 was feeling sick at bedtime so not sure what tonight will hold here. BC I don't like the sound of your time with relatives and poorly DD.

CP hope DS is okay with hsi tongue etc.. You strike me as being in superwoman mode!!

Hello to all of you not mentioned directly.

SocietyClowns Fri 11-Jan-13 09:49:58

No raisin... If dd2 had one in her ear it fell out by itself between Monday and today (bad mummy emoticon to not get her checked until today).
She's on form today. First comment on leaving the house 'oh, it's winter!' grin. Then she asked me if her imaginary friend can have some of her birthday cake. I told her yes of course, and she kept repeating the question, in disbelief that I was taking it seriously...wink.
Frosty greetings to everyone....

StoneBaby Fri 11-Jan-13 10:07:30

Frosty?? We had a bad storm last night but no cold temperature.

Tired today so I took the day off work blush So I'm having a lie-down-on-the-sofa-watching-tv-day grin

Bearcrumble Fri 11-Jan-13 14:31:50

Today DS told me "you're not my mummy" when I said I wouldn't make a train out of cardboard boxes with him.

DD's ear is still producing 'stuff' - but she's not got a temp and not in pain. I took her back to the GP yesterday who said not to worry and pus could keep coming for up to 2 weeks. Nice.

I just had my hair dyed and cut because I am going to a party tomorrow night. DH is on home duty.

CP Hope the tongue tie gets sorted for good.

SB It is pretty chilly here in London. There was frost on the roof this morning but it's nice and sunny.

My lips are a bit sore and I'd got the only lip balm that seems to work for me (Caudalie) and last night I couldn't find it - I was in a really weird mood and couldn't stop looking for it, then I was even feeling like crying about having lost it. Could be my hormones or possibly lack of sleep, I don't know but I didn't like it. Have been fairly mentally stable for quite a while I think so it felt very odd to feel so unhinged over a tiny little thing.

SocietyClowns Sat 12-Jan-13 09:09:42

Payback time this morning... We kicked the girls out of bed very early all week, so they did the same to us this morning grin. Seems fair I guess.

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Sat 12-Jan-13 11:09:07

BC CP hugs

SOC grin now that the girls are bigger and that DD2 is not a pain like DD1 was we let them up till later on holidays and the week end (21h). 7h20 this morning for DD2, not bad! DD1 is coming into preteen sleeping mode grin I have to wake her up for school and the week end are often 8h30... <there is hope at 1/2 yo she was up at 4 am>

gaaaahhh snow already 5/10 cm still going strong <I waaant spriiing nooowww sad>

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Sat 12-Jan-13 11:09:51

not a half year old 1 and 2 yo hmm

StoneBaby Sat 12-Jan-13 20:05:02

mous any more snow?

We're going to the snow in February when we'll be at my parents in France. I can't wait. We bought DS a snowsuit with a 70% off grin But I do not wish to get any over here as the island cannot cope.

I hope the poorly are getting better smile

StoneBaby Sun 13-Jan-13 10:06:00

Where is everybody?

I'm having a child free morning as DH took DS out to visit his mum and then go on a bicycle ride but I was up at 6.45am to take DS swimming at 8pm.

Climbingpenguin Sun 13-Jan-13 11:13:31

DD got into the snack drawer yesterday and ate over a dozen prunes, we had some interesting toilet experiences in the night!

StoneBaby Sun 13-Jan-13 11:20:21

Oops CP giving her some rice and bananas may counter the efffects?

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Sun 13-Jan-13 12:28:39

<bad mum emoticon> I am missing DD2 1st step on ice-skate, should I join them I have been grumpy all week...

SocietyClowns Sun 13-Jan-13 16:56:26

Aww, mous give yourself a break smile. She will walk on skates for a bit and then fall over grin. Hope you had a chance to have a few minutes to yourself with a brew and biscuit.

SocietyClowns Sun 13-Jan-13 16:58:11

Snow forecast for us any minute now. Don't believe a word of it though... hmm. Might get some sleet though I guess. [also grumpy]

Bearcrumble Sun 13-Jan-13 17:24:49

had hangover today.

StoneBaby Sun 13-Jan-13 17:53:51

How can DS not be tired??? He swam for 30mn, cycled for 1.3 hours this morning then this afternoon we went to the beach where him and DH played football shock

Aw CP, meh at the tongue-tie re-attachment. Pah. Hope that's IT now. Likewise the bad haircut experience. Annoying.

Hope you find the lip salve, Bc - I know what you mean, seems like a little thing but....

I'm having an incredibly long period - first since DS (which didn't surprise me, AF returned after about four months with DD too) - but it began before New Year and is still going, albeit very lightly (not even heavy enough to require sanitary "protection"). I'm starting to wonder if it's anything to do with the coil I had fitted about a week or so before it started.... <muses>

A better night with DS last night - only three awakenings, thankfully. Had a couple of shockers the previous three. He's now sleeping on top of a duvet (I figured the lambskin was irritating his skin, even with muslins on top) and has a cute cotton bonnet to wear so his head doesn't get too cold nor too hot that his eczema is aggravated (he looks like a little Amish baby in it!!). When he wakes up scratching, a layer of calendula followed by some of the Pure Potions salve seems to be doing the trick. The eczema is still there, but it looks far less red and angry. Interestingly, the patches on his legs have got worse....although he still doesn't seem bothered by those.
Out of interest, did those of you who got hydrocortisone/anti-histamine for your LO's eczema from the doctor - was that once they were over 6mo?

DD went to a birthday party today and LOVED it. We're in two minds whether to do a biggish affair at a local village hall (waiting to see if it's a) available and b) affordable) or a very bijou celebration with only a couple of friends....

Good to hear DD2 is back on form SC!

How did the ice-skating go, Mous?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now