Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

FEB 2010 Two and a half to three...the "contrary age" (no it isn't! yes it is!)

(989 Posts)

Come in, sit down, fresh coffee is brewing, Prosecco's in the fridge for later and there's a bumper box of Lindt chocolates for all....

BabyGiraffes Wed 12-Dec-12 08:56:34

Surprising response from dd2 when told that dd1 will not be at school today (39.6 hmm). 'She'll be alright! Give her medicine!' Sounds like she does not want to give up her mama day!
Some serious mummy and daddy guilt last night - we sent dd1 to school yesterday because she seemed absolutely fine. dh collected her from after school care at 4.30 and she lay down on the sofa when she got home. Got back at 6 and took her temperature which was 39.9 shock.

BabyGiraffes Wed 12-Dec-12 08:57:30

Mous Don't go. Your friend is just as well remembered if you light a candle at home. <hug>

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Wed 12-Dec-12 11:06:29

Thanks all, we woke up with 30 cm of snow anyway, which is melting away nicely in the sun and with -10 predicted for the night and -6 for tomorrow... Nothing will move fast or at all (I am not risking getting stuck somewhere). I felt really down yesterday but better today DD2 is at home because of the snow and is a delight of cuteness and laughters... I am very happy to have my family smile

BG CP sorry for the diseases, it seems never ending! The freezing weather should help killing the bugs though...FX

Sotu your poor DS1! and you are holding so well!

DD2 has a mild cough and a very runny nose today, not sure she will go tomorrow to school (or to the show this week end), wait and see.

My GM would have been 100 today smile!

Send a heartfelt card instead, Mous. xx

Ah, rotten, more bugs Survival, BG - NOT what you need. Hope the LOs get better soon (and indeed poor old in the wars DS1, Survival)

Woohoo CP!!

Arf at the nativity paparazzi,*Bc*!! Sorry your DS hasn't been giving you the appreciation you deserve...

Lots of fun at Spanish playgroup today - DD is really coming into her own. Happy to play alone, happy to run around/sing/dance/listen to stories with the other children too and melts the other mamis' hearts with her Spanish. DS' smiley behaviour is winning him a legion of hispanic fans too...

Right, best get on with the Xmas shopping.....

Climbingpenguin Wed 12-Dec-12 16:55:34

<slumps into thread>

stoofadoof Wed 12-Dec-12 21:06:51

have dosed DD up with benylin night time 6-12… she's still coughing and crying but is asleep confused I'm hoping that getting some sleep will help her get shot… poor thing, off school today and probs tom I think… I'm getting her bed tonight and DH going in with her in ours - hoping I get some sleep as a bit short(er than usual) the last few nights...

mous glad you feeling more chipper today. don't think we've got above freezing for a few days now but only got down to -6 so far here! still got parsnips in the veg patch, should probs try and get them out before it freezes too hard!

stoofadoof Wed 12-Dec-12 21:07:55

can't work out how to get the christmas prezzies wrapped… might have to take them into work with me…

StoneBaby Thu 13-Dec-12 06:49:44

I'm definately off to Boots today to get children coughing medicine and maybe a humidifier. Poor DS has been up late yesterday as his coughing was keeping him awake.

mous only one word: brrrr

BabyGiraffes Thu 13-Dec-12 12:13:58

Both girls down with a fever now and I am not feeling too smart myself today...

Just updated the girls' photo albums from Easter to Halloween this year. It's one thing I was determined not to neglect with my second and although dd2 is possibly half to one album short it is pretty equal. Haven't filmed anywhere near as much though sad.
dd2 flicked through her current album yesterday and asked why we have no Easter eggs on our Christmas tree this year (she got carried away last year and put some on and I thought it was too cute to remove). She's pleased though that this year we have bagels on the tree, apparently grin. (woven straw rings if anyone wonders)

CP Are you alright?

BabyGiraffes Thu 13-Dec-12 12:56:51

We seem pretty clued up on childhood illnesses on this thread after nearly three years (plus older siblings). Can anyone think of something other than chickenpox that presents with small fluid filled blisters on the head, face, back? About to phone nursery to ask whether they have had chickenpox in the past few weeks...
Poor dd2. No wonder she's slept until past 8 and has spent the morning crying on and off. I thought she had scratched her eyelid, but just noticed blisters on her head and back and around her hip.

BabyGiraffes Thu 13-Dec-12 13:05:25

Phoned nursery and they said yes, chickenpox are doing the rounds and didn't I know hmm. Well, I am not psychic.
Cue frantic reorganising of work commitments... But pleased she has it now and not over Christmas smile.

BabyGiraffes Thu 13-Dec-12 14:13:14

dd2 is getting a little fed up with her sister wanting to check for new spots every three minutes! grin (I must admit it is pretty fascinating watching them develop. It is definitely chickenpox).

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Thu 13-Dec-12 17:34:38

Poor you and her! Be careful with the spot explosion a sharp increase in temperature can occur quickly (I know I fainted hmm)
<sending courage for sleepless night and a bottle of calpol>

Bearcrumble Thu 13-Dec-12 17:34:56

Oh dear, I'm sorry, but as you say better to have it now and she'll be over it by Christmas. Has DD1 had it already or is she brewing cp too?

I've had a relatively lazy day with just DD. DS went out with my mum about 11 and I haven't seen him since - he is on his way back from mum's via Sainsbury's with DH. It does work out well now DH works from my mum's spare room rather than at home and when she has DS he brings him home.

Looking after one baby is such a doddle - I really don't know why/how I found it so exhausting at the time. We went to Borough Market and bought lots of nice food. Stollen and mince pies and iberico ham and smoked ricotta and lovely bread. The lady on the bread stall gave DD a bit of chocolate brownie. I have to admit she'd already tried chocolate for the first time a few days ago. She loves it of course.

Climbingpenguin Thu 13-Dec-12 20:50:06

good luck for the next few days bg

today was the first time in two weeks that they were both well. DS only had a mild fever yesterday and slept loads. Today he was a darling.

DS has a biscuit most days often. He has a sweet tooth and has to have what DD has at playgroups.

stoofadoof Thu 13-Dec-12 21:12:35

"runt froom" every time DS says it I chuckle… (front room, aka living room/sitting room)

BG hope it's short lived!

thumbs up for the benylin 6-12 night-time! still lots of coughing, but much better herself as she managed to sleep…

works christmas do tomorrow night… i realised the top i consider 'new' is in fact the top I bought for last years works christmas do!!! as we're even more skint this year, it's just going to have to do…. I did try a different (much older!) dress on first over my jeans.. both DC's grinned and 'pretty mummy' from DS and 'oh mum you look beautiful' from DD…. but as DH just looked and said 'so what are you wearing tomorrow then?' I've ditched that plan and gone back to the (not so new) new top and jeans….

SurvivalOfTheUnfittest Thu 13-Dec-12 21:17:03

Bless them both BG (and you feeling poorly again too). I hope you get some sleep. We found oatbaths were good for DS2 as we couldn't give him piriton due to the sleep apnoea. The spots were a source of interest here too. Hope Stoof's DD and SB's DS are feeling better soon too.

CP hoorah for a healthy day!!

DS2 and I have had a quiet day so that I can recover from last night's lurgy. DS1 came home from school in a wild mood and I ended up putting them in their individual bedrooms for 10 minutes after all other strategies had failed. Luckily, DH arrived home shortly after and he gave me some time off to restock. He was in the dog house this morning after forgetting to ask if I was okay until the very moment he was leaving for work (and then stropping that I felt he should have asked earlier). I'm glad they are in bed and am hoping to finish a story I've been writing for them for the last couple of months. Who'd have thought a rhyming story (a lesser version of a Julia Donaldson) would be so time-consuming?!! It's a Chrostmas book so I need to get it finished (and DH is going to illustrate it so he needs some time to do it!)

Mous glad you had a nice day with DD2 today. Sometimes, a simple thing like that is enough to make us feel better isn't it? They seem to know when to behave!! I think 30cm of snow would be enough to cheer me up on it's own, although the country would probably declare a national emergency!!

Like the sound of the foods you have bought BC - my appetite seems to be back with a vengeance! Play group sounds fun too IC. We will miss the last one of the term for DS2 tomorrow which is a shame, but he has pretty much outgrown it anyway.

Stoof I hope you get away without buying all the drinks - I think people assume that managers have all the money and, yet, poeple don't always appreciate that families have very little spending money.

DH is out tomorrow night so I will probably pick up my puppet theatre sewing again. Back soon.

Bearcrumble Thu 13-Dec-12 21:57:34

That is such a sweet thought Survival - the book. I hope it is finished in time for Christmas. I'm sure it will be.

I think I mentioned that DS is really into clocks and automata - we bought a wooden automata kit that DH is going to put together and I'm going to paint and varnish.

DH went out to two Christmas parties in a row Tuesday and Wednesday night but at least he didn't have to leave until after DS was in bed yesterday.

I am a bit pissed! We shared a bottle of prosecco and ate the ham and some cinnamon stars and mince pies. I am feeling very relaxed...

I am so much more lax with DD than I was with DS - I don't count the time between naps and fret when she hasn't had enough sleep. I don't seem to be as tired as last time even though I'm sleeping about the same amount. It's weird. Part of me really wants another one even though we couldn't afford it and I don't want another caesarian and I don't have the energy or patience but I'm not going to do it. I am cherishing/relishing having her - I really never thought I'd have another child. Never - after the IVF and everything I still think it's crazy that I managed to get pregnant first time afterwards.

StoneBaby Thu 13-Dec-12 22:12:24

Fx DS has gone to sleep very easily and has not cough yet. But as he doesn't nap at nursery anymore (his girlfriend stopped napping so did he) and was lacking sleepfrom last night it may be why.

survival well done on the puppets and creating the book. I'm also well impressed with the donkey outfit (DS angel outfit for the nativity is supplied by nursery).

bc glad you had a good day and that you're having a good evening too

CP yeah on a sickness free day

BG how are your DDs doing?

I'm down with a cold and AF turned up (3 days earlier than planned) so I'm not in the good mood.

Good night all

SconesForTea Thu 13-Dec-12 22:50:20

Aw SB (hug) Shame about AF but you know it's very early days yet. Hope DS cough improves.

bc that is exactly how I feel about DC2. I look back with utter bemusement st the way I fretted over DD1's naps etc (mind you, she was a naughty 40 minute-er and DD2 would happily nap for over 2 hours... ans sometimes still does...). It's so nice to really enjoy them. How old is DD now? I felt soooo broodg from when DD2 was about 6m to 1y. Common sense has prevailed of course but for a while there all I could think of was snuggly babies.

Your day at BM sounds idyllic, as does your supper! <wonders if there are any cinnamon stars left>

SconesForTea Thu 13-Dec-12 22:53:56

survival oh my goodness your book sounds amazing. Where on earth do you find the energy to be creative? Your boys are very lucky to have one devoted mother.

BG FX she gets it mildly. DD1 had it very mildly, no raised temp, a but whingy but nothing out of the ordinary. Over in a few days. Much better to get it out of the way before Xmas. Has DD1 had it.....?

SconesForTea Thu 13-Dec-12 22:57:54

stoof your top will be fine, it will look lovely. No one will take any notice of what anyone else is wearing, too concerned about their own outfits! Have fun (and I hope the Director gets the drinks in).

<hangs out bunting for CP's well day><shoos away MN jinx> DD2 eats biscuits etc too, you can't help it when all the others are. When do you hear about your proposal?

SconesForTea Thu 13-Dec-12 23:01:47

Mous glad you feel happier. Snow!!!! <shock>

Waves to all. It is my 'early' night, DH is out watching football. I was trying to print photos to put in cards to GPs but have buggered the printer somehow so ended up drinking wine and looking at photos instead nd I'm not asleep yet <confused>

SconesForTea Thu 13-Dec-12 23:02:38

Forgot how to do smileys

BabyGiraffes Fri 14-Dec-12 10:33:35

I had hoped dd2 would get away lightly but she is absolutely covered in chickenpox this morning. She's taking it in her stride though (that is, once the calpol and piriton? kicked in). It's worst on her head under her hair, around her eyes and in her groin area with plenty more on her chest and back. dd1 is a little jealous because she had chickenpox at 14 months and can't remember! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now