Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

FEB 2010 Two and a half to three...the "contrary age" (no it isn't! yes it is!)

(989 Posts)

Come in, sit down, fresh coffee is brewing, Prosecco's in the fridge for later and there's a bumper box of Lindt chocolates for all....

SconesForTea Sat 24-Nov-12 09:23:10

DD2 started crawling on holiday shock Quite late, she's nearly 13m. Although I knew she would some time, I'm still gently bemused that she doesn't stay where I put her any more. I've had over a year of it!

We got home last night, after SUCH a lovely day yesterday, I didn't want to leave. DH persuaded me to quit while we were ahead and I'm glad to be home, and with very happy memories of our last day smile

SconesForTea Sat 24-Nov-12 09:23:46

Apols for multiple posts, phone playing up.

BabyGiraffes Sat 24-Nov-12 09:25:57

Dd2 is still asleep confused. It's great if she sleeps herself well but she was in bed asleep by 7 last night so surely can't be tired any more? <I'm just envious because I would have loved a lie in!>

BabyGiraffes Sat 24-Nov-12 09:33:08

Still sleeping.... Would I be cruel to wake her?

BabyGiraffes Sat 24-Nov-12 09:42:48

Ah, she's just woken up smile

Climbingpenguin Sat 24-Nov-12 09:52:03

The lion in the puzzle is still upsetting her but not as much as when I tried to remove the offending piece.

Climbingpenguin Sat 24-Nov-12 09:55:06

scones I agree that 45 mins wasn't that bad for the first time, but DH is not on board and he has to put him down half the time. sad will have to talk with him properly later. tbh he's being a bit of a martyr about DS's sleep. He's got it so he mostly deals with him as he can doze during his lay down and rock technique (my legs aren't long enough) and he took over bedtime when I was ill (plus he finds it difficult dealing with DD's behaviour at bedtime) and doesn't want to give him back.

glad the last day of holiday was really good.

Climbingpenguin Sat 24-Nov-12 14:37:39

I had a chat with DH. Worked out that he is really struggling with DD atm and dealing with DS's sleep in one thing he figures he can do. He is happy to try though, we've set a timeline of 3-5 days and will do a mixture for naps depending how he is and how many he is doing that day.

stoofadoof Sat 24-Nov-12 22:36:36

scones whoop! smile DD started crawling late too, then walked about 6 weeks later!

happy belated bday *survival

ic DD was prescribed movicol by expat GP whilst we were in nz - wasn't licensed for kids there so we had to suss out a dose from the adult version… worked though - only took about 8 weeks to make a change for DD (still have some in the cupboard mind, probs out of date!)

who was asking about naps the other day? can't see and can't remember… made me think - DD dropped any kind of daytime sleep at about 14mts (never really has done sleep, daytime or otherwise). DS still has 1.5 hrs a day, and generally sleeps 7-6.30 unless he's ill… it's bizarre!

owl cake done, pass the parcel wrapped, playlist sorted (excluding the mission but including the music from monster in paris, which is DD's absolute fave music at the mo!) must write list of games out tho, and a list of stuff to take to the village hall!

stoofadoof Sat 24-Nov-12 22:37:11

ooh, interesting BOLDING there… hope you notice it survival!!!

BabyGiraffes Sat 24-Nov-12 22:48:03

Stoof Happy birthday to your dd. My dd1 is very envious! She's from late June so has to wait forever to be 6 grin. The poor girl was so proud of finally turning 5 and then got pretty deflated in September when half the class turned 6 - it's dawned on her that she won't catch up grin. I'm glad dd2 is from February, so nicely in the middle of the school year.

I'm feeling sorry for myself tonight because I have a sore throat, blocked nose and a cough starting... No surprise because dd2 spent most of the week clinging to me like a baby monkey, coughing right in my face every few minutes.

SurvivalOfTheUnfittest Sat 24-Nov-12 23:07:06

Thanks Stoof. Hope your DD has a lovely party.
BG get well soon.
Braved the school fair with DS1 and his injury today without mishap. The staff have all seen him now so I think they are happy to have him back on Monday. Might depend whether I am happy to leave him... His eye is swelling nicely now. Both boys also have conjunctivitis just to keep us on our toes too!! DS2 has just had a night terror and seems to have ear ache so we've doesed him up. Apart from that, all well and I'm smiling afer 5 hours' sleep in one go last night. smile

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Sun 25-Nov-12 14:12:28

BG hope you are all better soon
CP good on your DH!
DD2 when not napping is fine but she is a party animal she could stay dancing very late and very happy, and a puppy, if she is tired she just drop (school was a bit hmm with me one morning when she decided to have a nap on a bench).
DD1 just took herself to bed if tired at that age but didn't nap at all so some time it was a 17h bedtime which I am (was) fine with (once or twice a week).

stoof happy Bday for your DD and SOTU for yourself.
sotu I hope your DS1 will be OK for school.

We are meh... I think it is the technical term!

Wondering if anybody else is having homemade advent calendar? Not sure if it is too naff. I made origami envelops hanging down from a sparkly coat hanger with name on it, red/green and yellow for DD2 and purple/bleu and pink for DD1. With little cards/activity/ jelly bears/hairs clips and a present for Santa Nicolae.
I am a bit scared that DD2 will rip everything and DD1 might be disappointed (she loved the treasure box I did for her 2 years ago though).

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Sun 25-Nov-12 14:12:54

IC good luck with the poo.

Belated Happy Birthday Survival - and to your DD, stoof.

Thanks for the good wishes regarding the poo situation! After being out until almost midnight (which was lovely!), then delayed sleep because of feeding DS, DD woke needing to go (but refusing) and subsequently kept me awake for the next two plus hours fretting about it. Then DS started his frequent waking. And refused to settle properly when I attempted to sleep during what is usually his long lunchtime nap today.
Bah. Cue grumpy me.

DD's dose is being doubled forthwith. I'm going to bed before 20.30 tonight.
<sigh>

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Sun 25-Nov-12 16:15:55

Is it bad to suggest glycerine suppositories the "action'" is within 20 min 1/2 h max of administration... ? I don't know if it will create more problems though being in an english home (looking at DH reaction just talking about it hmm)

StoneBaby Sun 25-Nov-12 16:53:54

IC how is your DD doing now?

stoof I hope the party went well

So tonight will be DS 1st night in a big boy bed. He was very excited helping us putting the bed together. He is now lying naked in his bed saying he wants to sleep!!

Good luck for the Big Boy Bed SB!

Mous I suspect attempting to insert suppositories would cause a huge fight with DD and would possibly make her phobia even worse when we're trying to encourage her to pass her stools with as little drama and discomfort as possible (it's more a psychological problem than a physical one).... Last night's acting up was probably prompted by the Movicol (usually she goes for longer before nocturnal discomfort sets in), but the dose wasn't strong enough to get past the withholding. She went at lunchtime today and admitted it was much easier and softer. She's had two sachets today, so we'll see if we can get something tomorrow - if we do, I'll stick at two, if not, we'll go up to three.
(Sorry, TMI probably!!)

stoof thanks for the encouragement - I'd love it if the problem was sorted within 8 weeks! How long had your DD had the issue prior to treatment, out of interest?

CP good luck with the new sleep drive for your DS

Anyway, seeing as my DS has gone down early and quickly (fx), I'll make use of the time by sorting out a few Xmas presents.....

<blows a general kiss>

StoneBaby Sun 25-Nov-12 18:54:15

He went to bed without an issue shock I was expecting a fuss and he went with no problems!! Fx it'll last

IC good news on the bowel movement

ScienceRocks Sun 25-Nov-12 19:09:45

<waves>

BabyGiraffes Sun 25-Nov-12 22:01:10

SR All okay with you?

stoofadoof Sun 25-Nov-12 22:03:57

<post party knackered> i'll be back tomorrow!

SurvivalOfTheUnfittest Sun 25-Nov-12 22:07:29

Hope you get some sleep tonight IC - those nights are rubbish, I know.

Mous advent calendar sounds cool. I hope you are all better soon (if 'meh' means 'not great'?

Thinking of you tonight SB and hoping you get some sleep too.

I'm really nervous about sending DS1 to school tomorrow and suspect I will shed a tear or two on the way to work. sad

BabyGiraffes Sun 25-Nov-12 22:21:00

Survival <hug> They will phone you if the day is too much for him.

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Mon 26-Nov-12 10:48:35

sotu <hugs> can they take care of him during break time? last year DD1 had a stiff neck and she was kept in (drawing) until she could move again during PE and break time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now