Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

October 2011 - my, oh my, how the first years flew by!! It's birthday season!!

(983 Posts)
MummyDuckAndDuckling Wed 19-Sep-12 21:33:03

So excited that the first birthdays are upon us! Will try get a copy of the stats..

MummyDuckAndDuckling Mon 03-Dec-12 20:54:22

Poor babies! Is it coming up to a full moon?! We have a gro egg that lets off a little light so I guess S is never really in the dark, but at my parents house, she is in total darkness, but come to think about it, it was there that she had the night of screaming so maybe it is a darkness thing. I guess at this age they are very aware of everything now so maybe it is scary being in the dark. Who know confused

Christmas... I've got S a beautiful wooden pram, a train set (ikea), the winter book pack from book people, some crayons, colouring book and clothes. My mum has got her a doll for the pram and I think my gran is buying her a tea set. There is a little girl who lives next door to us who is 6 months older than 6 so I've gotten a good ideal from her as to what S might enjoy in the months to come. She's very into 'role play' so I've gone with things like that. I'm hoping if I get the chance to crochet her a baby blanket set for the pram but I'll see how I go for time!! I'm so so excited to see her this Christmas morning smile. Last year, with our babies still really brand new it was special, but this year is going to be so much fun!!! grin
Please to report no more sickness after this morning but its now coming out the other end. The nappies are horrendous! She had about 4 changes in 10 mins. They smell that sicky way as well, yuck confused

Climbingpenguin Mon 03-Dec-12 20:55:30

our gro clock doubles as a night light

MummyDuckAndDuckling Mon 03-Dec-12 22:18:00

S just vomited everywhere in her sleep. She was shivery when I lifted her but is just warm now and cheeks pink again. Wondering if I should phone NHS 24 incase it's from the cleaner. I highly doubt it is, what do you ladies think? Worth a call or is it prob just a s&d bug?

Poor S duck I would say its a bug it's been a while since the cleaner. Hope she feels better soon x

Penelope1980 Tue 04-Dec-12 06:47:44

hope the sick babies feel better soon! Duck no harm in calling if it puts your mind at rest.

Re Xmas we have atai a hooded towel (for, we hope, a summer of beach visits), a watering can (for the bath), a book and a small bike. Might get one more thing as well but not sure what yet - he doesn't need much.

ipswichwitch Tue 04-Dec-12 07:18:03

How's S today * mummy.*?
Hope all you poorly ones get well soon. Took N to the drop in centre Sunday night, turns out he has tonsillitis sad he may be on the mend as he did sleep through last night <hopeful>

Scan yesterday was all clear and the consultant gave us the all clear to ttc.

For Christmas, we have a shop till (N likes things with buttons to press), a bubble blowing machine for the bath, a wooden cube with puzzles and slidey things on the sides and I know his aunt had got him some drums! confused

Poor N ips hope he feels better soon. Glad you had a clear scan yesterday.
We had a moment of insanity and have a drum set for W for Christmas too! He does love drumming on things tho grin

duck how's S now?

MummyDuckAndDuckling Tue 04-Dec-12 10:02:05

What a night! She was sick again after I cleaned her up so I called NHS. Said it was prob not from cleaner and more just a bug and so to watch for dehydration. While she was telling me everything she vomited everywhere and I started crying just watching her sad. Said no water till she hadn't vomited in an hour and then only a few sips at a time. Managed to go an hour and she had a few sips that she brought straight back up. Slept well considering but of course, after few sips this morning she brought it straight up again. My mums stopping by the chemist to get some rehydration sachets cause she must not have any fluid in her. It's breaking my heart seeing her sad
What is normal temp range for baby? I've taken her temp on and off last night and this morning and its been around 35.3 each time. To me that seems low and I mentioned this on the phone but she didn't seem to concerned by it confused

ips poor N. hope he's better soon. Good (if that's the right word) that you have go ahead to ttc again smile

Hope everyone else is well smile

Climbingpenguin Tue 04-Dec-12 10:06:18

how did you take the temperature?

MummyDuckAndDuckling Tue 04-Dec-12 10:48:33

Under arm, it's only one I have

Climbingpenguin Tue 04-Dec-12 10:52:17

that will under estimate the reading, I think you add a degree to it.

MummyDuckAndDuckling Tue 04-Dec-12 11:10:09

Ah ok, over 36 sounds better smile

ipswichwitch Tue 04-Dec-12 11:47:43

Thanks mummy (that was the right word smile )
How is she doing? I got a ear thermometer- same type drs use and its v accurate and well worth it. Nursery use those forehead trips which are no good really. Think cp is right about the adjustment. Hope she's better soon, it's heartbreaking when they're so poorly. N is much better today thanks to industrial doses of brufen prescribed by dr! Left him with mil for couple of hours for yet another hospital appt an a bit Xmas shopping. Apparently he's having a great time- misses his gran as shes been on hols. Currently enjoying a latte before heading into the crowds

MummyDuckAndDuckling Tue 04-Dec-12 11:54:33

She slept for an hour while we waited on my mum coming over and she then had a full cup of water with the rehydration stuff. I was trying just to give her a few spoons at a time incase she just vomited it up again but she was crying when I took cup away, I guess as she was so thirsty! Chemist said to try a plain tea biscuit which she has just finished. She's def perked up thank goodness, still pale and feels warm now but as long as no more sickness! I was ment to be doing nightshift tonight but told them I cant, don't want to be away from her. Good excuse not to go out the door, looks cold out there!

TallyBear Tue 04-Dec-12 20:16:53

Oh poor Duckling. It sounds like S is coming out the other side. How is she now?

CP we have an underarm one, I had no idea about adding a degree. That means that he's had some really high temperatures shock.

Ips glad scan went OK. Good luck! Seb has a toy cash till too, loves it. Only £3.50 at NN sale, so I love it too!! Love the idea of a bath bubble blowing machine.. <<goes off to hunt out one online>>

Climbingpenguin Tue 04-Dec-12 20:19:53

it's a bit odd as there have been times when DCs have hot skin but their internal temperature isn't too bad

Climbingpenguin Tue 04-Dec-12 20:23:06

i guess there are times when the body is just regulating through skin temperature and not needing to adjust internal just yet. I have a ear one so don't have too much experience except even with that if you don't get it in properly (more so when they are babies particularly) then they can under measure by 0.5degree.

CheshireDing Wed 05-Dec-12 05:49:20

Sorry not read all the way back.

Pebble did E settle in the end?

Mummy hope S is fully better today

So pleased everything is okay now Ips

Am not envy of the drumkits! I am hoping P wants jigsaws soon.

DH and I haven't bought anything for P for Christmas, some recently got some Play Doh and crayons from Birthday vouchers but she is a bit scared of the Play Doh grin. She will have stuff to open from her Grandparents and we are trying to save up so figured that should be enough for this year.

I put her travel cot away last week and so all the toys that we in it we moved on to the bottom 2 shelves of the book case. OMG she was SO excited when she came in the lounge, she had a Christmas Morning Face (even though it was the same toys as usual)! grin

Is anyone going to see Father Christmas?

Penelope1980 Wed 05-Dec-12 06:56:13

A has started to throw little tantrums! Anyone else? I thought it was too young to start ... eek! It's usually about things like taking him off our bed, not giving him cheese for dinner and so on. I am coming to terms with it - even though it's only been 2 days worth - as it feels like such a new and not so exciting stage. Any words of wisdom?

Engelsemama Wed 05-Dec-12 06:59:28

Glad to hear N and S are doing better.

No father Christmas but Max saw Sinterklaas a week ago..will post picture on fb.

We use a rectal thermometer (when I first moved to NL I was unconvinced, but seems normal now )

We are not really getting M anything for Christmas either. Most of his birthday presents are still in the packaging in his bedroom cause they're either a bit too old for him, and he still loves playing with all the baby things I've been trying to put away.

I do have him a stocking though, so am going to put in some bits of clothes I've got for him, choc coins and one little 'real' present ( a tambourine).

I should be on my way to work right now but have lost my voice (not ideal for teaching) and feel rubbish so have called in sick. M is at nursery though so am planning on a film fest on the sofa with hot chocolate and the cappuccino cheescake I made on Monday (though I could take advantage of an empty house and catch up with school work, do my Christmas shopping online, do some decluttering...naaaah!)

Penelope1980 Wed 05-Dec-12 07:33:34

Hope you feel better engels. I had a rotten day today but think am just feeling generally over it - hopefully some "me" time or a decent sleep will see me right (ah, such things I took for granted pre baby)

Engelsemama Wed 05-Dec-12 08:26:59

xpost Pen M has started doing the same when he doesn't get his way (he can't reach a toy, or I take his cup away when he throws it on the floor for the nth time).

I'm just going with ignoring it for now, not 'giving in'. Easier to do at home than when out in public I find!

I reckon this is baby puberty grin

Penelope1980 Wed 05-Dec-12 08:44:44

grin at baby puberty!

Glad M is the same. Well, not glad for YOU, obviously, but you know what I mean! A gets so frustrated now - he likes his puzzles but sometimes gets so cross when he can't fit the right bits in the holes, or can't join his toy trains together. It's as if what he wants to do is ahead of his abilities at present - he knows what he wants to do, but he can't quite do it. It must be terribly frustrating for them.

I had a reality check for how old he is now when I saw a wee baby last weekend. Makes me realise I don't have a bab anymore, but a little boy!

MummyDuckAndDuckling Wed 05-Dec-12 09:06:30

grin baby puberty!

S gets annoyed when she can't manage something. She still likes pushing her baby walker around but if something is in the way she gets frustrated then shouts hmm. Also if I'm taking her hand and leading her away from something/somewhere she wants to go, she goes all floppy and sinks to the ground then won't stand!! confused
Apart from that she is a joy grin

No more sickness rest of yesterday horray! She had some mash potato and beans later in afternoon and couldn't eat it fast enough. Poor girl must have been starving!
She slept so much yesterday aswell, was like a newborn again. I'm going to go wake her shortly, went to bed at 6.30pm and its now 9am! If only I could've slept the same angry

Climbingpenguin Wed 05-Dec-12 14:29:20

DS has been quite vocal for a few weeks now. He has a good ability to barge objects out of his way if he wants to get somewhere. I did see a baby the other day a few weeks younger than DS proper lie on the floor and kick her legs out. I was both impressed and left feeling sorry for the mum and her twin brother.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now