Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

April 2012 - little people who actually DO stuff now!!

(943 Posts)

Ta da grin

JambalayaWarmMincePie Thu 22-Nov-12 11:32:58

Just back from Docs, DD1 has tonsillitis, and she thinks DD2 might have asthma, as her chest infection is clearing but she's still coughing and having trouble breathing. sad

And I was so distracted by that, I left without seeing her myself. sad Idiot.

SantasHugandRollintheSnow Thu 22-Nov-12 13:12:18

jam ds1 has asthma, its hard to diagnose young and they wouldn't confirm and give us repeat prescription pumps until This year. When she gets pumps etc and she is on a system that works for her problems will be few and far between. We've gone from him having at least 3 chest infections a year to only one right at the beginning of the year.

christmasmummyvicky Thu 22-Nov-12 13:51:41

Poor babies jam and hug, we have lots of asthma in dh family, so not sure if dd will get it? Dh got it at age 7. I know lots of babies grow out of it! So fingers crossed! X

My friends little one a bronchitis virus, could it be that? Might be going around? X

Nordic I find looking at dd very strange when she stands up too, people keep saying only 7months! Blimey smile
Still not quite ready for walking yet, hopefully it will be a little while longer. Have more safety stuff to do too! X

laughingGnomette Thu 22-Nov-12 18:20:07

My poor little man is being referred to the emergency pediatric clinic at the hospital tomorrow morning. His skin has taken a real turn for the worse despite the antibiotics and all of the other treatments. His shins are raw and oozing, his back is completely red and his chest is oozing and he is in agony with itching. I'm so heartbroken, sorry this post is so self centered, I've just got home from the Dr's and home alone with N, feeling a bit shell shocked. sad

JambalayaWarmMincePie Thu 22-Nov-12 18:39:58

Oh gosh, poor thing. sad

SantasHugandRollintheSnow Thu 22-Nov-12 18:47:54

Oh god, I really feel for both of you. I hope they get to the bottom of it <hugs> x

Nordicmom Thu 22-Nov-12 20:03:49

I'm so sorry about your very poorly babies /children Jambalaya and Gnomette!!! I hope they'll soon get better !
Miraculously R hasn't had DS skin problems at all.
She was standing in her cot today after the morning nap as expected.
Also the first tooth is finally coming through smile!

marshmallowpies Thu 22-Nov-12 22:20:27

Jam & Gnomette I hope things get better soon & that you can find the right treatments!

Another exhausting day here as DD slept from 6-9.30am but has barely wanted to eat all day - vomited up her first bottle, finished 2nd, barely touched 3rd and had about half her 4th (small bottle at bedtime).

She refused food and I've been offering the boob as often as I can. I hope she's had enough breast milk to help compensate but overall she's had a fraction of what she normally drinks in a day.

We've propped up her mattress so she has her head raised a bit and hung a hanky with some Olbas oil from her mobile (HV advice!). If that fixes the night-time coughing hopefully she'll sleep better, wake as normal in the morning properly hungry, and we can get back to a normal feeding routine. Here's hoping!

HollyPockett Fri 23-Nov-12 08:38:34

Oh laughing you poor thing and poor DS. Not self centred at all, I'd be bloody shell shocked too. Hope the clinic helps an DS feels better

Flisspaps Fri 23-Nov-12 16:10:20

gnomette sad Poor little chap. What was the outcome of today's visit?

I am with you on feeling as though the BF is coming to an end. I've been giving DS a bottle a day this week (since Monday's success) and he seems pretty happy, it's more of a faff to get set up than BF is (clearly) but I am off to do my numeracy test tomorrow morning and it means I can run off and leave the DC with DH and not worry, DS can have a bottle on the bus instead of waiting for us to get home when I'm doing a school run and <whispers> it means we will have to shift DS out of our bed and into his cot as co-sleeping and FF is supposed to be a no-no, and it'll mean DH can start doing night wakings. I want to wear dresses without easy access, and underwired bras. Blessed relief. I managed 7 weeks with DD, so 7.5 months with DS is something I'm bloody overjoyed with.

What has DS had in his bottle, fliss? Expressed milk or formula/follow on milk?

Pondering doing similar myself...

Flisspaps Fri 23-Nov-12 17:31:33

Formula. I don't get much if I express, and if I'm sitting expressing then I may as well BF!

JambalayaWarmMincePie Sat 24-Nov-12 16:42:27

Hello all. I'm writing this without a snotty baby, or croaky 8 year old - they're both at GPs for the night, to give me and DP a break. I feel lonely. grin

Just had a sneaky peak at the April 2013 stats thread - and there's loads of them! Weirdly, they're nearly all at the beginning of the month too - 47 posters, up to and including April 10th! Very odd. grin

Hmm, I probably have far better things I could be doing with this free time!!

SantasHugandRollintheSnow Sun 25-Nov-12 09:49:25

Hi all. Hope babies and other family members get well soon.

A is starting to clap now. He's still very vocal and a happy little boy. Next week is our last sans helmet, when he gets it ill put a photo on our Facebook page.

laughingGnomette Sun 25-Nov-12 12:08:57

Thanks for all of your kind words, sorry its taken so long to update on here! N's appointment at the hospital went well. The consultant has put him on stronger steroids, antibiotics and ointment and they are making a REAL difference. I haven't seen his skin this good in months and its made such a difference to his personality. Very happy.

fliss - such a good point about being able to wear normal dresses again, I hadn't even thought of that! Is DS taking the bottle ok now or are you using a sippy cup? I hope the numeracy test went well.
As for us, I started N on formula two days ago, planning to give two bottles a day and breast for the rest, slowly upping the bottles over time. Yesterday I was going to post about how well it had started and then last night he started refusing the bottle!! I think it's nipple confusion. He would eventually drink from the bottle but put up a bit of a protest. I've decided to stick to only bottles now, expressing a couple of feeds for him per day (faff!). My boobs are full and sore despite the expressing but hopefully this should ease over time(!). So that's my boob feeding days over! Sooner than I thought.

marshmallow - poor DD sad how is she doing now?

hug - aww, bless A. You have to post a picture of him clapping too! How adorable and clever!!

I hope all of the other poorly babies start to feel better soon xx

That's such great news, laughing. How wonderful - and what a relief for you.

I am currently typing this in the bath due to my genius new idea. Last week, DH and DS went out for a few hours just the 2 of them (to the supermarket). I managed to chill, have a bath & watch F1. When they got back I felt like a new woman!

So yesterday I said to DH, as I am going back to work FT in February, why don't we make these father-son trips out a weekly occurrence? That way they get used to time together, and DS and I get used to time apart. DH loved the idea!

Right now I'm loving it too... smile

I do miss my boy though, which is slightly daft as he only left 20 mins ago. February is going to be difficult...

marshmallowpies Sun 25-Nov-12 16:09:50

Ah laughing that's good to hear. As an eczema sufferer myself I know how horrid it can be.

DD much better and showing an interest in food at last. DH on the other hand was up at 6.30am being sick, had to cancel plans for the day. He's been in bed all day and drunk some water but that's it. Really hoping its a quick bug not the full on winter vomiting virus....

laughingGnomette Mon 26-Nov-12 13:49:55

henrietta - father-son time is a fab idea, especially sending them to the supermarket! Genius! I think we'll have to start doing the same as I'll also be going back to work around then and DS is getting clingier and clingier - not ideal.

marsh - great news about DD but sorry to hear about DH :-(

My boobs are now really engorged and sore. Pumping is just not cutting the mustard. I'm off to get some cabbage leaves when DS wakes from his nap, hopefully this'll help. On the the plus side, going cold turkey has helped with the nipple confusion. He is taking the bottle really happily now.

He got on all fours yesterday and tried to crawl but fell flat on his face bless him! Still got to perfect his technique a bit!!

Nordicmom Mon 26-Nov-12 15:53:05

Gnomette, when I had to stop breastfeeding with DS and did it cold turkey I was told to basically strap my breasts down very tightly , I did it with a bra then a muslin tied over my chest and then another bra. Besides this I expressed/massaged in the shower and thats it. It took a week and I was done. It was uncomfortable but probably the quickest way.
We had our court hearing today. I was a bit nervous about it . It only took about 10 min and was very straightforward . One home visit and one more hearing in the end of January and then it's all over , yeah!
Bonus today was that since my in-laws were watching R we got to go for our first meal without the kids since R was born. I think our last one was probably for our wedding anniversary last January ...

laughingGnomette Mon 26-Nov-12 20:16:11

Thanks nordic! That's great advice about strapping them down.

christmasmummyvicky Mon 26-Nov-12 22:05:16

goodluck gomette with giving up b feeding. How is his skin? X i planned to give up at 6m but now carry on dd wont take bottles, so may the cold turkey route when i time comes. I dont have to work till april so there still is penty of time yet!

christmasmummyvicky Mon 26-Nov-12 22:06:23

sorry about the post, my smart phone is in for repair and i have an old one! sad

Nordicmom Mon 26-Nov-12 22:11:33

it was the midwife that told me that's one thing you can do. It was early on so don't know at all if that's something you can do if you've been doing it for months. You better check!

Nordicmom Mon 26-Nov-12 22:18:44

DD has had a bunch of spots all over her back (and a few elsewhere)for two days now. No other symptoms but took her to the doctor tonight. She'd been cared for by motherinlaw who's having chemotherapy so really needed to know if it was some infectious disease even though DD didn't seem troubled at all. Doctor (and we) didn't think it was chickenpox or measles(thank god!) but probably just a rash . Hope it goes away soon. Is still getting me a bit worried. We'd been just saying how healthy she's been so far and then she had the vomity illness a week ago and now this.

Nordicmom Tue 27-Nov-12 19:41:09

We ended up going straight back to the normal formula since it seemed the follow on milk was making DD constipated . We'll use that until 1y I guess If she eats decently which we're working on. She's eating a varied diet now just not huge amounts of the "main course " which was cottage pie today. I try to keep it positive and a no pressure experience . Hopefully amounts will increase when she gets more used to rougher textures, flavours etc.
Tried the free flow sippy cup today again for the first time since she was tiny and wasn't able to use it . Have kind of forgotten about it. By now it seems DD's happy to drink from it right away with no practice but I do have to tip it up for her, she doesn't yet do that properly.
I had a first shower with her ever tonight. I tried sitting her on the shower floor with toys but she wasn't happy and tried to crawl to me and of course slipped so had to then get out in the middle to dry her off etc. She was perfectly happy being held under the water but felt unsure on the floor. I 'm a bit scared to hold a slippery baby so will wait for her to get a bit older like DS was until I try again. Also gave her a wooden spoon to bang a bowl with in the kitchen (again for the first time ,now that she sits and crawls so well ) but she kept on banging her poor feet so had to confiscate it for now . Made a funny video though , she didn't seem to mind , was too busy banging things. DS used to bang the pots so hard that splinters were coming off the spoons so that was the end of that drumming. He loved it and I've got some cute pictures. It's lovely seeing R grow up and do the same things DS used to do . I kind of remember even though it's been over 7y!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now