Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

September 2012 babies - warmest welcome!

(997 Posts)
Macaroons Fri 14-Sep-12 21:50:28

Here's the new thread for September babies fresh from the oven!

I'm a first time mum and I'm struggling with breast feeding at the moment, my 6-day old DS always seems to be hungry (a feed every 2-3 hours, each lasting roughly an hour), and when he's hungry he's very aggressive towards my nipple sad it really hurts! Any tips out there? And how often do you feed your baby and for how long?  how do you teach your baby to be gentle on the nipples? envy

Good luck to those still waiting for their babies to come out! Will be watching out for more baby news!

cjbk1 Sat 09-Mar-13 14:06:22

bobs we're on the laptop now trying
to view your profile but I can't make it work is that just me? X

I don't know what I am doing wrong?! meh!!

Right try it now!

cjbk1 Sat 09-Mar-13 14:41:49

WOOOH it worked, what a little star! thanks and iv put a photo on my profile and made it public as well...im trying to find a few more x

Took me a while to figure out your photo cjbk!!! A giant bouncy chair! So cool!!!

leelteloo Sat 09-Mar-13 15:28:29

Posted 2 long posts and they disappeared. Very annoyed with this silly mn ap!!!!

leelteloo Sat 09-Mar-13 15:29:29

So now it works!!! Grrrrrr lost the energy to type it all again but wanted to wish everyone a lovely Mother's Day for tomorrow. X

Oh, it's so lovely to see your photos, so I've stuck a few on my profile for you to see.
Bobs , those little legs are so sweet!
My mum says I was walking and chatting when I was 8 months and was really small. She says people would double take at the little dot running around.

I have no plans for mother's day. But wish you all a lovely one.

DP had his interview yesterday and was told to wait 3 weeks for the decision. He had a phone call today to say he passed and has been invited to the next part, the grueling 2 day fitness trial. Eek!

And cjbk1, I want that chair! Always wondered how cosy it would be.

ThedementedPenguin Sun 10-Mar-13 00:20:16

bobs I can't get over them tiny legs standing do straight and tall.

I have to say bobs I'm very envy about all the sleep you are getting. I wish Herbie slept longer but the past few nights he's been up 5/6 times.

All of your pictures are fantastic, ill upload some tomorrow if I can figure out how. Such cute babies and its great getting to see how big other babies are and what they look like after all we have heard about them smile

cjbk that is an amazing chair, I would love one smile

shoes that was quick to hear back, hopefully the next stage goes well for your Dp.

cjbk1 Sun 10-Mar-13 08:40:37

Happy Mother's Day to you all especially those celebrating their first ��
(the chair was at the baby show btw)

cjbk1 Sun 10-Mar-13 08:40:54

*heart

leelteloo Mon 11-Mar-13 21:22:58

Just going test send test post

leelteloo Mon 11-Mar-13 21:34:57

Right seems to be working, been so fed up with damn ap losing long posts!
I couldn't sleep at all last night because I have a terrible cold and couldn't breath. As I was tossing and turning I was getting stressed about ds not rolling over or sitting up yet, so started googling away trying to reassure my self. I came across something about not swaddling after 6 months as it can delay physical development. So then I was stressing that he would be up loads in the night if I stopped because it always soothed him so well. So then went on googling and came across the "best sleeper on the block" or some such American waffle. I had heard of this guy, a paediatrician, his DVD was selling out in the states. Anyway it recommends playing loud white noise to the baby when ever you settle them. They try and make you buy the cd of noise but I just downloaded the first free ap I could find. Put the iPod in his cot and he settled unswaddled instantly. I've got it on cat purr and even I'm finding it quite soothing. The ap also turns the iPod into a light up digital cot, so great for seeing the time at night.
Anyway just thought I'd share as it might help if your LO doesn't self settle.
Hope you all had lovely Mother's Day. I did, my dh made a real effort: which is very very unusual but most welcome.

shoeprincess2 Tue 12-Mar-13 11:36:51

Hi ladies! Haven't posted in a while, but have been reading the thread when I can. Anyone suffering from sheer exhaustion? It is getting ridiculous. Oliver is fabulous in the day- he naps twice, self settles in his cot, eats solids etc etc. Bliss.

However, night time is a different story. He is fine pre-midnight- goes to bed at 7pm, settles himself and then wakes at 10pm for a breastfeed. So far, so good. Then once it hits midnight, he keeps waking up. Pretty much every couple of hours. He is now in his own room, so I trot off and give him boob and put him back in his cot. He then wakes about 5.30am, as though he is waking up for the day. He will sing in his cot etc. I then give him a breastfeed around 6.30am, but then he goes back to sleep until about 8.30am-9am. He is tired so has this lie in. I don't mind giving him a top up at midnight, as long as he sleeps until 7am. But it is though he is unable to have a decent chunk of sleep and can only cat nap. i posted on the sleep thread, but it seems that even upping the food intake will have no effect and sometimes it is just the way it is. The fact that he can sleep in his cot and slef settle means he really doesn't have any separation issues, so any thoughts?

Leelteloo- Sounds like you had a lovely Mother's Day. I got some nice gifts from the boys. Alas, our eldest boy was having tantrums all day, so it was a fraught Sunday!

Hope everyone is ok. Penguin- is Herbie still up alot in the night? I think him and Oliver need to go on some kind of sleep course smile

leelteloo Tue 12-Mar-13 13:10:17

Shoeprincess try the white noise; honestly it really might help keep him asleep. Unfortunately I know from my dd that there are children who just wake at night ALOT! In the end it was just time with her but at 3+ she still gets me up more in the night than ds who is 6 months. I wished I'd known about this white noise thing to try with her when she was a baby.

White noise worked like witchcraft with DS - it was gobsmackingly amazing. However DD isn't fussed which is a big disappointment!!

I'm going to try white noise tonight. Just while I'm in the shower and before I come to bed. I might even be able to sit and have a drink in silence.

I think I've got PND. sad
I saw my lovely gp yesterday as I'm still having problems with pains in my nethers and think the tear might not have healed properly. On top of that, DS who's 2.6 has suddenly turned into the devil child and is being a real handful. He had always been such an angel, I'm feeling a bit shit tbh.

She's going to phone me next week about swab results and asked me to have a think about medication for PND. Not sure what to do. I don't want to talk about it with anyone I know because they all just say what a wonderful mum I am. I just give a good impression, that's all!
Also, it's not just family life that I'm struggling with. Now I have a daughter I feel very protective of her a want to make sure she never has to deal with anything on her own. Like I did. It's brought back some memories from years ago and I'm not sure how to deal with them.
Shit, sorry, this isn't the place for it.

Urgh, sorry for the downer. Just wanted someone to know, and felt a bit precious to have my own thread. I'm off for a shower and probably a cry

leelteloo Tue 12-Mar-13 20:32:23

Oh wherearemyshoes, that sounds really tough. Lack of sleep can really really mess with your head and give alot of depressive symptoms. Do you think if you were getting more sleep you would still be feeling this way? Is there any way of getting some extra zzzzzzzzzz or someone to take the kids so you can have a bit of me time? This is a good space for support and don't feel bad about posting about how you are feeling. Hope you get a peaceful and restful night.

Thanks Leelteloo. I think I manage to get a decent amount of sleep as DD wakes maybe twice for a quick feed, and she's in my bed so easy for me.
We don't have anyone to look after dc as our parents work all hours and we don't have friends we'd trust enough.
I think I need to get out more. We had a lovely walk to the park at the weekend and it really knackered DS out. But then it snowed and our car is off the road till work done on it tomorrow so hopefully when it warms up again we can go out to play.
Feeling much better now I've had a hot shower and DD stayed asleep for me to have a hot chocolate AND painted my nails. for the first time in 6 months

ThedementedPenguin Tue 12-Mar-13 23:28:11

leeteloo I hope your feeling better, and got some sleep from Monday. I use ewan the dreamsheep for Herbie. it has a white noise with a heart beat and it works wonders some nights.

Shoeprincess Herbie has his nights, it's never the same two nights in a row. Like 2 nights ago he was up a LOT, is say about 5 times and in the end I brought him into our bed about half 3. Then last night he was up for a feed at 2.50am and that was it. So some days I'm wrecked other days I'm okay.

wherearemyshoes this is exactly the place for you to talk to, although I will admit I am useless for you as I have no clue, if you need to off load then come here as I found when I was feeling a bit down everyone here can help pick you back up. I do understand what you mean about not wanting the things that happened to you growing up to happen to your child, in a way this is why I'm glad I have a boy. Hopefully your ds' behaviour picks up a bit, do you think it's because he is in the house all day?

shoeprincess2 Wed 13-Mar-13 09:52:37

Oh Shoes- i just want to give you a great big hug. This is exactly the right place to post, offload, or just even have a chat about anything you like. As Leelteloo says, lack of sleep can really make you feel dreadful and display depressive symptoms, but then again, PND can hit at any time and it is difficult to determine what is sleep deprivation and what it PND. It's a fine line. I agree that going out and exercise is brilliant for lifting moods. From what I have heard from people who have suffered, their GPs have encouraged them to do exercise. Easier said than done with children, so I hope the weather improves so you can get out with your pram.

Sleep deprivation is an absolute killer. I admit than on Monday, I was on the verge of dropping and had a little cry. However, I managed to get a reasonable amount of sleep last night and I feel much better this morning.

Big hugs to everyone and if anyone wants to offload, please do on this thread. We are all in it together (not wanting to sound like David Cameron though)

Thanks everyone, I'm feeling better today. The kids slept in till half 9 so that's made me feel better in itself but DS seems happier today too. Im going to get out to the supermarket later once my car is fixed so that'll break the afternoon up.
The snow seems to have gone, its hard to tell as I'm up the top of a dead end road so maybe even put DD in the sling and take them out for a brisk walk.

I hope you're all having a good day and get some peace.

leelteloo Wed 13-Mar-13 21:55:15

Glad you are feeling a little better Wherearemyshoes.
Hasn't the weather been odd; today out of the windows at the front of my house it was grey squally snow showers, while out the back at the same time it was sunny??? blush
Please please let the spring come soon; I am sure it would brighten us all up.
I had ds weighed and he is now 21 lbs. he is so heavy that I am really struggling to carry him in his car seat. He is a long way off going forward facing, so I'll be humping him around for a good few more months: my back will be wrecked.
He is also eating loads and screams the place down every time I finish feeding him. I think he would just go on and on eating. He much prefers puree to blw at the moment even though I do a bit of both at each meal. His favourite is fruit puree and plain yogurt; real sweet tooth unfortunately like both his parents.
Peaceful night everyone

DD weighed in at 14lbs13oz yesterday - still teeny! Can't believe she is 6 months tomorrow!!!

Also for anyone not following my controlled crying thread in Chat I am pleased to report she has slept through 12hrs for the 6th night (except for a small teething hiccup night before last) in a row last night!! Hooray!

She is doing much better with finger food too and isn't gagging as much and seems to love her food just like her brother!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now