Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

September 2012 babies - warmest welcome!

(997 Posts)
Macaroons Fri 14-Sep-12 21:50:28

Here's the new thread for September babies fresh from the oven!

I'm a first time mum and I'm struggling with breast feeding at the moment, my 6-day old DS always seems to be hungry (a feed every 2-3 hours, each lasting roughly an hour), and when he's hungry he's very aggressive towards my nipple sad it really hurts! Any tips out there? And how often do you feed your baby and for how long?  how do you teach your baby to be gentle on the nipples? envy

Good luck to those still waiting for their babies to come out! Will be watching out for more baby news!

loopy, sorry to hear that your ds has been so poorly, poor little thing. Glad he's on the mend. After reading your truffle recipe, I think I'm going to give that a go! Sounds simply enough even for me! Ballroom, how do you make chocolate vodka?

*leetleloo, hope your dad is ok.

Rachel, glad Herbie's chest was clear.

We've still got colds, DD3 is still coughing loads, but she's gradually getting her appetite back. Due to me losing my appetite, I'm now 2lb above my pre-preg weight. I wouldn't recommend it as a weightloss regime though!

I went to the office Christmas party last night, DH had gone out separately (and is still festering in bed), so his sister baby sat. I was nervous about leaving Lola, but she was fine. I only stayed for two hours (and had one glass of wine), and Lola was awake when I came back. She laughed when she saw me, which was so cute.

Macaroons Sat 08-Dec-12 20:21:57

sorry to hear that some of your DCs are suffering from illness, it's hard in this weather, isn't it!

DS has not been sleeping well recently (he usually sleeps 7-11, 12-4, but these days he wakes up a few times in the early hours, very tiring for us too!) that is coupled with grumpiness - he normally gets fed happily (I believe we have no latching issue), but these few days he screams when I try to BF him, sometimes even though he's started sucking for few seconds, he'd scream and turn his head away. He's also dribbling lots, and likes eating his fist. Would he be teething already?

cjbk1 Sun 09-Dec-12 09:19:43

morning all, hope all well? just thought of something;not wanting to start a debate about whether baby clubs are worthwhile or not; I havn't received anything from boots parenting club, tesco baby and toddler club or sainsburys little ones since the pregnancy mailings! has there been anything since? they did say I'd still receive stuff despite it being dc3...I'd especially like the Christmas baby mags..has anyone had them? thanks x

shoeprincess2 Sun 09-Dec-12 09:32:31

Now you come to mention it cjbk1, no, not had anything through the post since August!! I could have forwarded them on to you, but no, not a bean. Hmmmm...

Rachel130690 Sun 09-Dec-12 10:10:13

macaroons Herbie's been dribbling loads and sucking his fists from 7 weeks. Has white gums and rosy cheeks now. So your Lo could indeed be teething already.

cjbk1 no I haven't received anything. Although I only remembered to change my address a while back so who knows.

Herbie is very sick, he will only take 3oz bottles. Every 5-6 hours. His nose is blocked up, his cough has got worse and when he breathes it sounds like a wheeze. I feel so sorry for him. It's awful when there sick isn't it?

Rachel, sorry to hear that Herbie so poorly. Have you tried some saline nasal drops to help unblock his nose? I bought a spray from Boots when Lola had her cold, and it really helped to bring the mucus down and out. She was struggling to feed and breathe at the same time before that.

cjbk1, I hadn't thought about it, but I haven't received anything either!

Loopyhasanotherbean Sun 09-Dec-12 20:27:59

rachel thats exactly how DS2's bronchiolitits started, if any doubt go to out of hours GP at your hospital, they take more notice than a normal GP in my experience...

leelteloo Sun 09-Dec-12 20:28:24

Rachel the saline spray is good and I also got the calpol plug in, which was really effective. I plugged it in right by Euan's cot. Hope little Herbie is feeling better soon; I think we've finally shook off the month long cold, thank goodness.
My dad is much the same and I've had bad cystitis. So still rather stressed and worn out. Hoping Monday brings a better week.

Rachel130690 Sun 09-Dec-12 22:33:11

I'll have a look in the morning for some saline drops. Although I am planning in taking Herbie to the doctors. So I'll mention it then,

Herbie has only had 19oz today. Has refused to sleep all day but he is in bed now. I've taken his temperate a few times and its never been higher than 37 degrees. Also he has being peeing less. So def think I need him checked out.

leelteloo I hope your cold has finally left. Your def having a tough time and I hope things pick up for you soon.

Rachel130690 Mon 10-Dec-12 11:16:06

Okay so I am just home from the hospital. Herbie got up at 3 for his bottle but projectile vomited all over me. Was very hot so rang OOH, who told me to bring him in. Such a long night/morning.

So after 4 and a half hours we've been sent home with calpol and an antibiotics. Hope they help him as he in a lot of pain.

leelteloo Mon 10-Dec-12 11:56:16

Poor Herbie! Sending get well wishes thanks

shoeprincess2 Mon 10-Dec-12 12:02:52

Big hugs for you and Herbie! Hope he gets well soon. There seems to be a lot of illnesses going around. Hope everyone who is poorly or who has LOs who are poorly, get well soon!

Had smear today- wasn't that bad. Apparently results are only taking a fortnight to come through. Cripes!!

Take care everybody and have a good and restful week! xx

cjbk1 Mon 10-Dec-12 17:55:44

Cuddles to Herbie get well soon x

Macaroons Tue 11-Dec-12 22:17:23

Hope herbie is ok! Get well soon!

I had my smear last week too, more painful than I remember!! Hope results are ok

Weighed DS today, he's now 6.7kg! No wonder my arms are aching. Will have his 3 months jab tmr, not lookin forward to that. Hes been screaming lots lately due to teething, so I dont think he wants more pain confused

Hope everyone is well, Xmas is only 2 weeks away!

Hope Herbie is ok Rachel and gets better soon. He'll be a food monster and make up for not eating once he's on form again.

Easy peasy mommin . If you type 'dishwasher vodka' into search you'll find all manner of different flavours of vodka and how to make them. Think it's on the Christmas thread atm.

I find concentrated cranberry tablets very good for getting rid of and preventing cystitis leelteloo . I had an awful run of cystitis, bladder and kidney infections for a couple of years and it seemed to help. Still get it the odd time but not every other week anymore. Thinking of your dad and hope he picks up.

Macaroons I think baby b is teething too. She's been a nightmare to feed the last couple of days. Wanting it, taking it into her mouth for a couple of sucks then pushing out with her tongue, all the while gurning. Coupled with the grumpiness, dribbles and demented chewing of hands I'd say teething.

Hope Herbie is ok Rachel. Also hope that all little ones are well.

I might try making some flavoured vodka ballroom. We've got a bottle sitting in the cupboard from a few months ago, we only drink wine when we're at home on our own (obviously alcohol-wise, we do drink soft drinks too!!!),we had friends over one night, but they didn't have any of it.

I've just got back from having Lola weighed, she's now 14lb 8oz (6.6kg). She's such a little chunk compared to my other DDs as babies. DD1 was that weight at 9 1/2 months! She was tiny though.

leelteloo Wed 12-Dec-12 22:18:03

Thanks Ballroom , I will try and get some of those tablet because its really bad today. I've got antibiotics so fingers crossed I will be wee pee free very soon.
Xxxxxxx

Rachel130690 Fri 14-Dec-12 14:54:35

Hey everyone I've just caught up. Thanks everyone for kind words.

Herbie is finally on the mend. It has been such a long week and I am exhausted and starting to feel sick.

I cancelled his 12 week injections so he has to get them this week.

I hope everyone else is on the mend now. smile

shoeprincess2 Fri 14-Dec-12 15:46:58

Gah, I typed a message and for some reason it has vanished. Glad to hear that Herbie is getting better. Hope all other babies and mummies are on the road to recovery.

Oliver is waking more often in the night now. Every 1.5-2 hours. He'' have about 5 minutes of boob and then go back to sleep.He is more awake during the day as well and then gets over tired and over stimulated. I don't think I'll ever crack this nut. I just keep putting him down in his cot during the day, as he won't sleep in the lounge anymore (too much going on). He'll nap for about an hour, but then he is up again!!

Got my smear result through today (within 5 days of having the test). It was fine. Pretty good service. Macaroons is your through yet?

Not relishing the next week or so for shopping. It has been utter chaos so far, so will only get worse. Have Thomas' play at nursery on Tuesday. He is playing a reindeer. I will cry...

Have a nice weekend.

Take care xx

Macaroons Fri 14-Dec-12 19:27:04

Shoe - I got my smear result today too. Thankfully everything is fine!

Rachel - glad herbie is better!

I've got a sore throat which could develop into cough / cold confused also got eye infection. Went to GP few days ago and got some ointment so it's getting better, but DS has a red dot at the corner of his eyes. Hope I haven't passed to him confused

To those of you breast feeding, were there any occasion where your LO refuses your breast even when he's hungry? DS sometimes would turn his head away when I try to feed him sitting down, but would take it if I feed him lying down. Just now I was trying to feed him in the sitting room where he just cried and wouldn't take it, took him to our bedroom and he's now happily sucking shock he's driving me nuts when I try to feed him and he doesn't take it. (he's lovely at other times!)

shoeprincess2 Fri 14-Dec-12 19:56:47

That's good news macaroons. Yes, Oliver is exaclty the same with the boob. During the day, i have to whisk him upstairs for "boob on the bed" as he really fights against it if we are on the sofa. He will scream and push his legs against the arm of the sofa. I can only assume that it is because he associates it with calmness and quiet. On the plus side, it gives me a chance to have a lie down too.

Rachel130690 Fri 14-Dec-12 21:55:49

Glad to hear everyone's smears are clear. I had my appointment on Wednesday about my abnormal cells and got a colposcopy done and they had to do a biopsy. So I'm waiting again for results.

It was the strangest thing ever the doc kept talking about how well I've healed and how good I looked. It was a strange compliment. But I'm glad to know although I was joking with my mum about having a super looking fanjo. smile

Herbie's cough has nearly all cleared up. Only another day of antibiotics smile

I'm off to bed as I'm shattered.

I'm glad Herbie is getting better rachel although not so good on you feeling sick now. You're probably really run too. I know if the dc get sick, I'm run ragged. Saw on the flag thread you had trouble where you are too? Has it settled down now? A few of my friends are attending the peace rally on Sunday. I wouldn't chance it with having the kids to be honest, just in case.

Good news with all the smear test results. I'm not booking mine until I'm after 12 weeks but I will book one even though I'm within the three years of being called back.

Baby B has hardly been eating at all in my mind. She used to take 7oz bottles and now she'll normally take anywhere between 2-5. Think it's only been just over 20oz most days. Try to remind myself if I was still bf I wouldn't know how much she was taking and as long as she seems ok not to worry. Will take her to get weighed this week as it'll be the last week I'll be able to before Christmas hits.

Don't think there's any problem though as she has slept through every night for the last week!! From about 10pm to 6/7am. Would be brilliant if only I was sleeping. Going though one of my insomniac phases and it's affecting my mood. Starting to get a bit down and anxious so going to make an appointment with the gp this week and nip it in the bud.

Finally went out and bought myself some jeans today. I'm still wearing my maternity ones as I can't fit into my old size 8s. Was a 12 about a month ago and they are a size 10. Yay!!

Hope you don't get a cough from your sore throat macaroons

x post rachel. hope you get your results soon and everything ok. grin at the doctors comments

Rachel130690 Sat 15-Dec-12 10:17:19

ballroom yes it has settled down atm but there's talk that the real 'UVF' Protestants are starting again Monday as when the were protesting last week a group of Catholics drove through them and quite a few ended up in hospital. So I've heard a few stories about people and bats on Monday so I shall be tucked up safely in my house. Well away from them. Hope things are settled around you?

I think ballroom you worry more when ff as you make them up and know what they are usually taking. Herbie dropped from taking 30+ oz to 10oz a day. But he 's getting back up there, yesterday he had over 20oz. He's becoming quite the Hungary boy again which I'm so glad about. Hope baby B is okay and not coming down with something.

Herbie was only up once last night, thankfully as I'm so tired that I wasn't coping with him being up 4 times a night. I actually broke down yesterday and cried as he wouldn't sleep yesterday morning. So my Oh took him away this morning so I could have a lie in. So feeling a good bit better not I've slept.

Hope everyone has a nice weekend smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now