Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

September 2012 babies - warmest welcome!

(997 Posts)
Macaroons Fri 14-Sep-12 21:50:28

Here's the new thread for September babies fresh from the oven!

I'm a first time mum and I'm struggling with breast feeding at the moment, my 6-day old DS always seems to be hungry (a feed every 2-3 hours, each lasting roughly an hour), and when he's hungry he's very aggressive towards my nipple sad it really hurts! Any tips out there? And how often do you feed your baby and for how long?  how do you teach your baby to be gentle on the nipples? envy

Good luck to those still waiting for their babies to come out! Will be watching out for more baby news!

Welcome aamia and libby!

We don't have a routine during the day, Lola varies how much she naps tremendously. She is grumpy on the days that she doesn't get much sleep in the way of naps. She's now typically sleeping from 10.30-11pm until 3.30-4am, although she has slept til 6 or 7 on the odd occasion.

Is anyone who is breastfeeding finding they have days when their baby seems to be permanently attached? Lola's always been a quick feeder, taking 5-10minutes per side, sometimes only wanting one side. She feeds approx every 2 hours during the day. Yesterday, during two feeds, so was on one side for over an hour. I think it's a comfort thing, every time I put her down, she just wanted boob again. She seems a lot better health-wise, but maybe it's part of getting over the cold.

Now that Lola is getting better, DD3 woke up covered in diarrhoea! She'll have to have the next 48 hours off school, so she's disappointed that she'll miss no-uniform day tomorrow.

With regards to Christmas presents, we bought Lola a play-gym, but decided to give it to her early, as it was suitable from birth and she didn't have anything in the way of toys. We've also bought her a few little things that are in the 6-12 month age range, to keep her going until her first birthday. I spend an equal amount on the older three to make it fair, but haven't spent as much on Lola. She won't be aware that it's Christmas! DD1 was 2 weeks old during her first Christmas, and ex-H and I bought her a keep-sake Winnie-the-Pooh ornament for her room. If people have asked what they can buy Lola, I've asked for clothes in 6-9 months, or vouchers.

Wertrude Thu 29-Nov-12 13:46:40

Hello everyone, can I join?

Ds is 12 weeks today. I'm a bit worried about his scalp - he has patches of crusty skin on his head (not just dry, but a bit gooey as well, and slightly yellowish). Bit grim, sorry! He had the same skin pattern in-between his eyebrows but that came away while I was investigating, and has left reddish skin underneath.

Anyone know what it is or what I can do for it?

Thanks smile

Hello Wertrude and welcome. It sounds like cradle cap- nothing to worry about, it's very common. It'll probably go away on it's own, but if you massage some olive oil into your baby's scalp at night, you should be able to gently loosen the crusts with a soft baby brush in the morning.

Rachel130690 Thu 29-Nov-12 15:09:13

Welcome Wertrude I agree it does sound like cradle cap. My da has this also, I massage warm olive oil into his scalp and get a baby brush and gave him a gentle rub. It works very well. Also I got a shampoo from the doctors to use also which is fantastic.

I wish people would ask what to get Herbie but seems like I'm going to get a load of random stuff that I don't want or won't be used. I hope I'm not sounding ungrateful but my Oh's mum just 'knows' everything and no matter what I say I am wrong.

As I said up thread me and my Oh is getting him a door bouncy thing and we have told everyone this so no one else gets it, but my Oh's mum has announced she seen a great door bouncy that she is going to buy him. I was so annoyed but I hope after I politely (maybe not that polite) told her she can't get that as she knows we are getting it. Grr that woman annoys me sometimes.

I see hmv has a sale on so I might get a few DVDs for Herbs for when he's a bit older, although he loves the bright colours. (There mostly for me)

libbybelle Thu 29-Nov-12 16:14:43

Hi wertrudw, I am huge believer in aveeno its wonderful. I bath dd in the bath oil every night and then every morning use cool boiled water to wash face and then use aveeno moisturizer cleared up dd milk rash within a day. U can buy from chemists my health advisor also said they can write prescriptions for it, well worth try. My sis in law used it on her baby who has v sensitive eczema and was Brill xx

shoeprincess2 Thu 29-Nov-12 16:45:32

YY to Aveeno moisturiser. Fab stuff. Ollie bobs had his 12 week jabs today- he is a bit unsettled now so not sure what kind of night we're going to have. The calpol is on standby. Whilst I was at the GP, I booked my appointment for my 3 yearly smear test. Apparently, you can't have it done until you are 3 months post birth, so i said to the receptionist "I need my appointment to be after 6 December". So she said "10th December ok?" Gulp. Oh well, best to get it done, but I'll probably be mithering myself all over Christmas until i get the results.

Hope you are all well. Ollie tends to wake up about 3-4am for a feed. He doesn't take long on the boob- probably 5-10 minutes, Unlike Thomas, who used to use me as a big dummy. It had been worrying me, thinking that Ollie isn't taking enough milk. But weighing in at 6.5kg, he is putting on the weight. I guess all babies are so different. I have a gig to go to on Monday, so i have started pumping milk and stocking up the fridge. Looking forward to going out, but worrying too...

Welcome to the newcomers.

Glad your gp appointment went ok Clueless . I've never been to physio myself but ds sees them every week and sometimes we are in a big room where other appointments are going on. All seems to be fine, just exercises to concentrate on whatever area you need.

Cradle cap Wertrude? Oil and a brush should take it out, although I have to admit I'm a terrible picker and used to love picking out the scales when ds had it.

Christmas dd is getting a few clothes, play gym, couple of lameze toys and fisher price lullaby thing. I probably wouldn't have got her anything other than the play gym only 5 yo ds would question why santa didn't really bring his baby sis anything.

grin shoeprincess after the sweeps at the end of pregnancy, I don't think a smear will bother me again. I might go ahead and book mine for January, even though I think I'm still within the three years.

8 week postnatal check and dd's first injections tomorrow. Hopefully she'll take them well. Got baby yoga and baby massage booked for Jan and Feb. Looking forward to it.

Rachel130690 Thu 29-Nov-12 22:43:12

shoeprincess I think you were reading my mind I came on here to discuss smears and you have already brought it up smile so can I ask why your not supposed to get it done until 3 months after?

I had my first smear at my 8 week check up and received a letter today saying I have abnormal cells and I have been referred for further testing at my hospital. Is this why? I was shocked they would just casually send me a letter about this and not ring me or ask me to come in. Was very shocked when I received the letter.

Oh and before people maybe mentions about it being my first in Northern Ireland you don't get smears until 25 and I'm only 22. (Not sure what age you start getting them in other places)

So now I'm slightly worried about what the hell happens next, although I'm not too worried about what it could be, as people get abnormal cells and it turns out to be nothing.

Hope everything goes okay tomorrow ballroom

Wertrude Fri 30-Nov-12 00:10:42

Thanks for the advice. I didn't even think of cradle cap! Doh.

Right, next things to think about - smears and xmas presents confused

Wertrude Fri 30-Nov-12 00:14:08

Anyone on a weight loss mission, or is it far too early to be thinking about that?

I'm quite relieved that we had our babies at this time of the year - can hide a multitude of sins with a big woolly jumper grin Although it's not a great look for festive parties...

leelteloo Fri 30-Nov-12 04:59:12

Oh Rachel, that is the last thing you need to be stressing about; how insensitive to just send it in a letter. I have quite a few friends who had cells come up on smears and then further tests showed it was nothing alarming but I don't blame you for feeling anxious. I don't know enough about smear tests to say why they say not till 3 months after though?

Rachel I've been getting called for mine since I was 18 in NI. Remember doc telling me only reason I didn't have to go for them at 18 was if I was still a virgin. No chance then grin . Know you're in a different trust to me though or possibly the rules have changed since then <old fogey here> If so that's a disgrace they make you wait until you are 25 now!! Anyhoo besides the point... I'm not sure why they tell you to wait three months. I was told that by the mws in the hospital and I have heard of friends having abnormal ones after childbirth to be called back and it to be normal. When are they asking you for a repeat smear? Try not too worry too much. Hate that they don't realise there's a person on the other end of that letter. Can you ring your surgery to question them?

Rachel130690 Fri 30-Nov-12 09:30:23

ballroom it must have changed because I remember my sister getting a letter when she turned 20 or 21 but I received nothing and there's only 18 months between us. Doctor said ill go a smear now but you normally don't get them until 25.

I can't even ring that surgery as I'm in the process of leaving it to a closer one. I might ring my new one and see if I can talk to someone.

Haven't been given another time, just that I've been referred to craigavon hospital, so they will prob send me a letter with a date on it. It's just a bit shit really.

I am trying not to think about it though.

Wertrude Fri 30-Nov-12 12:46:03

Sorry for posting about bloody weight loss when you're going through this Rachel blush didn't mean to be so insensitive flowers (can I get away with blaming lack of sleep??)

In my experience, that is the standard letter they send, even if it's just a botched sample, which is really shit as it scares the living daylights out of you.

Worst case scenario is that you will have the abnormal cells (if any) lazered or scraped off, which sounds much worse than it is- doesn't hurt and isn't a major procedure.

Not what you need, so soon after birth, but you'll be fine >sends hug<

shoeprincess2 Fri 30-Nov-12 15:21:49

Gosh, I wish i had come on here earlier. Hope you haven't been worrying too much Rachel. Ok, they don't do smears before 12 weeks post partum in my area, because your cervix is still getting back to normal and any earlier can cause abnormal readings and women being referred for no reason for a smear at 8 weeks post partum- I was turned away.. I booked and turned up Now, i have also been in the abnormal readings camp back in the late 90s. I was 22 and got a letter from the GP referring me to the hospital and to cut a long story short, I had a colposcopy (nothing untoward found) and then annual smears for the next 10 years. Luckily each of the 10 year smears was ok, but I am c***** myself for another smear.

Please don't worry yourself too much about it. Just see what happens. It may be that if a smear is done in another 6 months, it'll be fine. In some ways, it is better to be in the system and be checked on regularly. Ballroom- gosh, those sweeps were vile things. I guess a smear will be a walk in the park (except I'm not looking forward to the wait over Christmas).

Hugs to Rachel- please don't worry. And hugs to anyone else who feels like having a hug!

shoeprincess2 Fri 30-Nov-12 15:29:43

First para is a bit garbled. Meant to say "...and any earlier can cause abnormal readings and women being referred to hospital for no reason. I turned up for a smear at 8 weeks post partum..."

Rachel130690 Fri 30-Nov-12 15:38:04

wertrude don't stress about it, and no I didn't think you were being insensitive. I had wrote a reply to you but clearly didn't send during my first night feed last night sad

I'm trying not to worry, I no it happens but just wasn't sure what to expect so its good to read other people's experiences so now I'm not so worried about what will happen.

I don't get much time to think about anything, Herbie def keeps me busy and my mind on other things which is good.

I agree the sweeps are the most horrid thing to experience, you should be given g&a for them. I was freaking out before my 8 week checkup as I was expecting something similar to a sweep but thankfully it wasn't.

wertrude we did discuss weight loss and exercise before, but my thoughts and words was good but I did nothing about it. I cancelled my plans last weekend as I refused to feel fat in my dresses.

We are putting up our Christmas tree tonight I can't wait.

Thanks everyone for advice and hugs smile

That must be it then Rachel . Suppose when I was 18 was back when the NHS had money. Glad you are feeling a bit better about the letter. Hopefully they won't keep you waiting too long and it's just a case of them doing the smear too early after pregnancy. I'm getting dd's dad to take her out Monday so ds and I can spend a bit of time together and put up the tree as he has an exceptional school closure day. Get in the Christmas mood.

I found my 8 week check to be a bit.. I dunno.. rushed. Gp didn't check stomach muscles, ask if I had any stitches or ask about a smear. Only thing he did ask was contraceptives and my mood and comment how I must have other kids as I had dd stripped before he had time to fill out any of the paperwork. DD hasn't been too bad after her jabs. Had an inconsolable screaming session about four hours later - very unusual for her to cry so was weird to see her like that. Finally got her settled with a walk in a pram and she has slept a lot of the rest of the day. No temperature so far thank goodness.

No weightloss mission here Wertrude . The 'lone parent of a kid and a newborn diet' has worked it's magic and don't really need to lose any more weight (except off the thighs) . My appetite has been really off since stopping breastfeeding. I'm hungry until I go to sit down to eat it and it all tastes like nothing. Really am forcing myself to eat and trying to grab higher calorie snacks, like cheese and stuff when I can. I do however want to tone up thighs and tummy but I'm lucky to find time to have a pee.

MadMonkeys Sat 01-Dec-12 12:20:00

Hi Ladies, I haven't posted for ages but have been reading the thread. We're doing fine at the moment. DD1 does seem more unsettled now but we are showering her with as much attention as we can and she seems to be doing better. DD2 is a dream. She's normally asleep by midnight then usually sleeps til 7am. For a few nights she has had a feed at 4am which I think is due to a growth spurt. Getting her to nap for any length of time isn't so easy - the best method for us seems to be to put her in her snow suit and drive for a bit, then she will sleep for ages in the carseat - not ideal, but at least it gives me some quality time with DD1.

We get out as much as possible - DD1 gets more entertainment that way and DD2 sleeps a lot more in the day.

Most of the Christmas presents are wrapped now, it will be really good fun this year as DD1 (3yo) will really understand what is going on. She helped me wrap DD2's presents - well thank goodness DD2 is too young to apprciate fine wrapping!

cjbk1 Mon 03-Dec-12 12:42:30

Hello ladies, (I'm still having problems with some of my RL friends and I really wish I cld go into it but I'd better not unless they hold that against me too..and dh is useless for sympathy sad anyway...).Ava slept from around 11pm to 7.45 this morning which we'r all really happy about and I got spoilt on my birthday on Saturday..hope all well x

shoeprincess2 Mon 03-Dec-12 14:56:39

Hope you are ok cjbk1. Glad to hear you had a lovely birthday and some sleep last night.

Hi everyone, we've had a week of illness in our house. On the same day that DD3 had a tummy bug, DD2 went to London on a school trip. She was sick on the way there, so had to spend the rest of the day walking round the Natural History Museum feeling poorly. I then had both DDs 2 and 3 off school on Friday. Then on Saturday I felt really ill, sort of fluey with a bit of an upset stomach. I felt almost normal again yesterday, but still not 100%. DD3 still isn't right- her temp keeps spiking, she's got an awful cough and she's got no appetite and she's lost some weight. DD1 (who is never ill) has started coughing- it's her 11th birthday next Monday, so I hope she's ok then! It's just DH left, but he's a bit shivery and has to spend 8 hours working in a giant fridge tonight!

That's enough of me moaning, hope everyone else is ok.

rachel, thinking of you, if it's any reassurance, both my dsis and best friend have had abnormal cells. Best friend went for a repeat smear, and all looked normal again, dsis had cells lasered. Both fine now, have 6 monthly smears as a precaution. Keeping everything crossed for you. x

Rachel130690 Tue 04-Dec-12 11:35:43

Cjbk1 happy birthday for last week. Hope you had a good day smile

moomin I hope you and your dcs all get better soon. My mums house had that and it took her a while to feel 100% again, hopefully it won't take you as long.

I'm not too worried about my results, I'm so glad I'm on this thread as you have all eased my mind and made me feel better about it which I'm so thankful for smile

I'm really stressed about Christmas as I am flat broke. And my Oh is useless with money. So I would say we will be buying nothing this year sad although my Oh is giving his mum £50 towards photographs. Which I'm so angry about as we don't have £50 to keep us going or even buy each other something small. But he refuses to tell his family we are broke. Which I am going to do. As we will starve sad

I have such a wriggly baby. He can move himself around in his crib. So going to try the sleeping bags.

Hope you are all recovering in the moomin household. There seems to be a lot of that boaky, high temp viral thing doing the rounds at the minute. One of my friend's whole household had it this week too. Her dd is only 3 months old too.

Belated happy birthday cjbk . Hope you're ok.

We've had years in the past of being unable to afford buying presents too Rachel. It sucks doesn't it. Does your dp have to give them the £50 now or could it not wait until after Christmas? Too right I would tell them - food comes first.

I think I have a teething baby on my hands. She's been dribbling away the past couple of days, white gums and chewing the fists of herself. Has started to refuse bottles and gurny all afternoon and won't settle. Can hear her shuffling about in her basket atm. Joy! I may go out and buy some bonjela tomorrow.

leelteloo Wed 05-Dec-12 02:26:15

Sorry to hear about the sickness bug; it's really doing the rounds. I so hope we don't catch it as I'm still dealing with the longest, most horrid cold I've ever had.
Teething already, wow! That's no fun Ballroom!
Glad you are not stressing about your results Rachel but sorry to hear about Christmas being a struggle. We are really skint too and I have bought second hand toys for the kids hmm
I've had a difficult couple days as my dad has been in hospital really ill. He went in for surgery on his spine but he's not recovering. He is in icu tonight after another ga and an MRI. He has contracted a chest infection as well. Got everything crossed he'll be ok soon hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now