Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Fab Feb 2009 - come rain, wind or shine, we're here for each other with copious amounts of wine

(479 Posts)

New thread for us to quaff and chat away on... though as the sun is out today suspect I'll be pootling around here on my todd for a bit

<starts arranging the deckchairs in best position to catch the sun>

SilveryMoon Tue 05-Feb-13 20:10:35

Thanks dinky Info on that book would be great, but not to worry, I'll google the author and find it. Give that baby-brain a rest wink
mos Great news on the continued money-raising. You are doing a great job, I see it all on fb.
grin @ lunching 4yo's! hahaha, hope they had fun and it wasn't too traumatic wink

dinkystinky Tue 05-Feb-13 20:54:13

Silvery moon - the book I read is the brain food plan by Robin Pauc. The other book he did I read is "is that my child?". The brain food plan explains a holistic approach to learning difficulties which I found really interesting.

Calico1 Wed 06-Feb-13 10:32:11

SM the 'little ladies who lunch' party isn't until half term so I have a couple of weeks to plan / make cakes, etc.
DS has offered to help - he's 5 and bless him seems more than happy to help host a tea party for little girls......not sure how long that will last wink

blueskymum Wed 06-Feb-13 12:23:46

Hi Fab Febbers,

So many birthdays! Does anyone else think '4' sounds really old i.e. not at all a baby any more?! Had a bit of a wobble and realised my little boy is growing so fast! How can he be going to school soon? The other part of me is ready though.

Slight work dilemma, opportunity to jump from 2 days a week to 4. Money-wise, it would be really helpful and with both my DD6 and DS4 off at school come September, it could be good. The other part of me is panicking though. Once they start school there's always an Inset day here, sick days there. Has anyone jumped from 2 to 4 days? Would 3 be the better compromise?

Any help/ideas much appreciated. Am I being a bit soft?!

Hope the parties went well at the weekend. Still sorting out invites for mine.

Love the thought of your DS enjoying helping with the tea party Calico1!

dinkystinky Wed 06-Feb-13 14:22:06

Ah, your DS is very sweet Calico!

Yes, blueskymum 4 does sound very old indeed. Danny is only about a foot shorter than DS1 (who is 6 turning 7 in April - and one of the tallest in his year - they both take after their tall dad) so he already looks older (by virtue of being taller) than he actually is. I really hope the baby I'm gestating gets my short arse genes as otherwise I am very shortly giong to be the shortest member of the family.

Re work dilemma - I work 5 days a week and have a nanny to look after Danny (as he only does morning nursery) and DS1 after school and for inset days and when they are ill. What do you do for childcare the two days you work? Is it possible to see if it could cover you doing 4 days. As you say, with the kids both at school from September, it might be useful moneywise (despite 2 extra days childcare costs wise) and will probably be better from a career progression point of view if you want to do it.

blueskymum Wed 06-Feb-13 17:19:49

Thanks dinky, yes know what you mean about genes as I'm really short but husband is v.tall! Exciting to be looking forward to no.3. Do you get annoying people asking if you're hoping for a girl this time?! Friend with sons was asked that constantly.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my query. I currently use private nursery for two days, and once they're both at school, after school club. I think four days of nursery would cost so much it would knock out the money, but could do one day from home, and that problem would be just until sept. Good point about career progression, feel like I've been 'mummy tracked' on two days, plodding on a flat line!

SilveryMoon Wed 06-Feb-13 20:34:07

Thanks for the book info dinky. Will definitely have a look.
Despite both me and dp being tall, my boys are quite short!
Luke still has that baby like voice too. But yes, growing up far too quickly

XBenedict Wed 06-Feb-13 22:17:13

Hello all! (McDreamy here) can't believe Abbie is 4 today and such a little lady!!! Where has the last 4 years gone? smile

dinkystinky Thu 07-Feb-13 08:33:06

Wotcha Mcdreamy in disguise - hope all good with you and your family and that Abby had a good birthday. I think its MOS's H next up followed by Summer rains A! Birthdays are coming thick and fast now.

Had a disaster making chocolate breadsticks last night for Danny's party as they all broke up - fortunately its a pirate party so have rebranded them as driftwood!

dinkystinky Thu 07-Feb-13 08:34:45

Blueskymum - yes, I get asked all the time if I want a girl this time round. Would actually quite like another boy as now know what to do with them!

dinkystinky Thu 07-Feb-13 21:45:02

Had scan today - baby being v photogenic and waving hands and surprisingly large feet at the camera. If it wasn't for the fact it seems to have got DH's length I would be worried I am carrying a hobbit!

Happy birthday for tomorrow to Mos's H - hope he has a lovely day x

Dinky... I'm having a disastrous baking day too. Dying with cold and managed to singe the fairy cakes and burn the chocolate for the crispy cakes in the microwave (how?!)

I decided to forgo the party at home, between my cold and A's hefty dose of movicol kicking in with s vengeance we're in no fit state to host a party so he's having his party at playschool instead. He doesn't seem too pushed either way so no point putting us all through the hell of a house party.

So pleased the scan went well and you got a good look grin

dinkystinky Fri 08-Feb-13 10:44:30

Sounds like you're having a bad couple of days Summerrain - bet the kids love the fairy cakes and crispy cakes regardless though. Poor you with your cold and A with his constipation - hope he has a lovely party at preschool today.

dinkystinky Sat 09-Feb-13 11:55:37

Happy birthday to Aaron - hope he has a lovely birthday. His spiritual twin sends his best wishes too!

Thanks dinky. He's had a lovely day, really chilled. He loved his presents. He's shattered now though, the other two had him up at the crack of dawn when all he wanted to do was snuggle me in bed grin

Can't quite believe my baby is 4. This time 4 years ago he had a nose tube, multiple iv lines and and was under an oxygen hood to keep him alive.... Seems like another lifetime ago and just yesterday all at once.

SilveryMoon Sun 10-Feb-13 09:36:30

Glad the scan went well dinky
SR I know what you mean about time flying by but at the same time feeling ike a whole lifetime ago.

Hope all the dc's are enjoying their birthdays/parties/presents/etc.

Happy birthday Danny grin

dinkystinky Sun 10-Feb-13 17:45:34

Thanks Summer rain - he had a lovely day and party with his friends and loving all his presents ( pink and hello kitty feature heavily :-) ). We call Danny with his love of pink, all things shiny and beautiful things our little metrosexual :-)

He and A sound more alike every time we talk grin A adores pink and glitter, moreso even than dd!

Glad he had a lovely day, hope you're not too knackered dealing with a party while pregnant... Put your feet up and have a lovely evening.

dinkystinky Sun 10-Feb-13 19:59:35

Wow they really are spiritual twins! Party was fairly knackering but fortunately wound up just as the kids were getting their sugar rushes. Danny's present from us was a kidizoom twist (pink of course as requested) - am hoping to channel his love of shiny and beautiful things to help him be the next David Bailey....

A has just developed as fascination with dds (pink!) camera. It's hilarious what they take pics of at that age grin endless shots of the tv and sweet wrappers!

dinkystinky Mon 11-Feb-13 09:02:47

Hmm, we seem to have endless blurry photos of floor and feet at present.

blueskymum Tue 12-Feb-13 12:56:03

Happy birthday to Danny dinky, glad the party went well. My little terror is a bit ill today, so going for Saturday after next for the at home party, even though his birthday is the 16th.

Hello Kitty is a big hit in our household too.....although I'd blamed that on my DD having blazed a trail!

dinkystinky Tue 12-Feb-13 15:17:51

Thanks Blueskymum - Danny is still enjoying playing with his presents/sticker books (bless him, he's been opening/playing with a new one a day rather than all at once) and v excited that pancake day is right after his birthday. Hope your DS feels better in time for his birthday and that you have a lovely party for him next weekend.

dinkystinky Fri 15-Feb-13 20:02:48

Ugh I have flu. I had forgotten how grim being ill and pregnant is. Ho hum.

Hope everyone has a lovely half term and (as will be away next Mon/Tues) happy birthday in advance to Calico's L - hope she has a really lovely day next Tuesday. Happy birthday also to THOM's T (if she's lurking) for Monday - hope he has a good day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now