Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Just Mumming Along (viroids 2)

(893 Posts)
Eskarina Mon 14-May-12 20:10:19

Tried to post on the original thread and my post got rejected as its full! Have copied and pasted below....

Congrats on the job offer ttl...hope the other one comes up trumps for you too.

Dd isn't quite crawling yet, but would very much like to. She is the queen of the Klingons at the moment, and has a meltdown the second I put her down, look in the opposite direction, or if someone else so much as looks at her. Not all the time thankfully, but definitely for part of every day.

On the bf thing, it's so personal.....I've just dropped doing the afternoon feed myself be cause dd is so distractible that she bobs on and off, which I don't like around other people, and now she finally has teeth the constant latch on/off was really hurting. I just bf once a day, our morning snuggle when she's nice and calm. I would be sad to give that one up just yet.

Pineapple80 Wed 02-Oct-13 15:19:31

Welcome Kitten! Good to hear your birth story, well done on having gotten thru it, glad you're both well. smile

Hooya - 3.5 months later my EMCS scar is still a little numb above incision and now recently started itching a lot!! grin Otherwise healed well though. Glad to hear yours has healed well too, even better you've been signed off for exercise that's fab! I was told not to drive till 8 wks later, which felt like forever!!

My DS won't take a bottle now hmm! I had given him a bottle once a day of expressed breastmilk at about 6 wks but got lazy with expressing & stopped until recently. He now cries and pushes the teat out with his tongue! I love BFing him and plan to continue, but wanted option of letting DH or someone else feed occasionally. Also wanted to prepare for return to work...(maybe not till next March). I am planning to keep trying anyway, but wondering if anyone had this happen before?

Hope everyone is well smile x

WingDefence Sat 05-Oct-13 23:11:59

Ahh pineapple I'm afraid I kept it up with the bottle of expressed milk every day from 4 weeks till 13, even thought it was usually just a few oz, until we switched that to formula just because I didn't want a bottle refuser.

Try a different time of day or perhaps not when he's really due a feed so he isn't starving but is peckish. We never did it to actually replace a feed all those weeks - it really was just to keep her used to taking a bottle. Also I found that heating it up far more than I'd have thought worked well for us.

My first period post-birth started in earnest yesterday and I am so hormonal and in pain. And because I've got a coil in, I can't wear tampons until after my check-up and I've run out of normal Always so am actually having to wear damn maternity pads I have been very depressed today about everything; stopping BFing, returning to work, basically returning to my life pre-DD IFKWIM. Sob sad

But on the upside, DD has been sleeping far better these past few nights ie since she's been stuffing her face at tea-time! Let's hope it continues though... hmm

Love to all cake

Pineapple80 Mon 07-Oct-13 07:47:37

How are u feeling this week Wing? Hope you're doing ok. Wow return to work... I have recently contacted my boss and let him know I'm still thinking of returning Q1 next yr...if I can get child care sorted hmm. A real shortage in my area and really don't know what we will do if we can't secure a place for DS at a nursery.

Thanks for sharing your bottle experience Wing. I wish I never stopped the bottle a day! Tried a different bottle last couple of days and he is actually taking a few small sucks of it which is a small but positive step! I will persevere!

DS is 4 months old next week! shock Cannot believe it. We have a checkup, jabs and hip scan all in he one week...

How is everyone doing? Hope you and babies are well smile

WingDefence Mon 07-Oct-13 17:32:14

Feeling a bit better thanks Pineapple smile Wish we had some of your summer weather though...!

Re childcare I suggest you put your DS's name down now for any nursery you like even if you may lose a deposit if you don't take the place. Even without seeing it...

tiredteddy Mon 07-Oct-13 17:42:34

Oh wing, it's not like you to be low. Glad dd sleep is improving but sorry to hear you've had a rubbish couple of days. Hope you feel brighter soon. I can identify with things moving too fast.

Hi pineapple. All fine here. Dd is just too sweet. I can't believe your little DS is 4 months old, it's going so fast!

WingDefence Wed 09-Oct-13 22:37:42

Thanks tired. Yes feeling much better about things and I went and signed the forms and contract for DD's childminder and she is really lovely so I am actually happy about it - it's such a weight off my mind.

Oh and my period from hell (ERTD it certainly was!! grin) pretty much has almost fizzled out so it has only lasted 5 days properly which isn't too horrendous. I think not being able to use tampons makes it seem so much worse.

DD had a disturbed night on Tuesday night but went till 6:30 without a murmur last night. So we are back on the right track!

BFing is slowly stopping without me having to do it consciously not she's on three meals and I'm not necessarily replacing the feeds with ff, DD is just dropping them. EG today I fed her at 6:30, 11 and then not again today as after lunch she had a nap through when I'd have thought of giving her a feed and went until tea time when she was ravenous then had her normal ff bottle before bed.

Talking of bed. It's nighttime! Good luck to all... smile

tiredteddy Thu 10-Oct-13 16:52:07

Dd is crawling!

Glad you are better wing, sounds like the food and routine Are settling nicely with your dd too.

WingDefence Thu 10-Oct-13 21:38:11

Yay for your DD! DS was 9 months when he started crawling. DD seems to be trying to launch herself forward hmm but I hope she won't be going anywhere for a couple of months yet.

I remember finding sitting>crawling far harder than crawling>cruising/walking. Good luck smile

Hope everyone else is well?

Hooya Mon 14-Oct-13 02:06:37

Hello all! How is everyone?

Wing glad you are feeling better! I can totally empathise about the ERTD, the lochia has been driving me mad! Can you not use tampons for the first ERTD either?? Gutted, I never want to see a sanitary towel again angry

tired how exciting re crawling! Did you see that comment from a woman on the weekly MN talk roundup about how her DD crawled off during her bra fitting at John Lewis and she had to run through the store with her boobs out? Pretty funny!

Pineapple it's so scary trying to arrange childcare isn't it? We still don't have a nanny and we both go back in January, which is pretty soon really! But I am assured these things 'always work themselves out' or something!?

Here, DS is already over 1 month old! Can't believe it! He is certainly getting a bit more grouchy in the day, particularly if we don't go out, but he's overall a very good baby and is mostly waking for only 1 or max 2 night feeds. Though I felt bad in the night, he woke for his feed and had a bit of a cry after he finished feeding (which he never usually does)... I put him on the other boob and he was happy, but I wonder why he wanted both when one is usually enough!

I need to start expressing soon so DP can feed him while I'm out and back at work in Dec, any tips on when to introduce this? I thought 6 weeks but would welcome any tips.

Started my personal training sessions on Friday - thankfully it was not too scary at all, she was really great and encouraging, though I did not enjoy looking in the mirror! Still, I did enjoy gaining the weight during pregnancy, so it's only fair...

WingDefence Thu 17-Oct-13 18:24:16

Hooya I've had a coil fitted and it was my first period after that (as well as being the first period after having DD) so you're not supposed to use tampons for that first one until after the check-up to make sure it's all okay (which is tonight, wish me luck hmm).

Re bottles, I was going to say that my HV (and the other advice I'd found online) said do it from about 3 weeks - a month but I now can't remember! We introduced one (expressed milk) fairly early on under advice as I didn't want a bottle refuser on my hands and I expressed a few ounces a day just to keep her used to having one ie not actually replacing a feed until about 12 weeks when we introduced formula for that one bottle and it's been the same ever since: one bottle of formula per evening.

She's going to be 7 months at the end of the months so I'm going to stop BFing then as it's hit and miss how many feeds she has now anyway because she's eating SO much food and I'll be back at work. I'm going to stick with the one early morning feed as long as my supply keeps up for one feed a day but if it stops, I am extremely proud of myself for even getting past 6 weeks!

Right I'd better get out to my check up. Urgh!

Pineapple80 Sat 19-Oct-13 03:04:04

Good luck Wing, hope your appointment went well. You've fine brilliantly with BF your DD, well done!

Hooya, I'd try expressing and the bottles after 6 wks if u can. I'd def recommend getting him used to the bottle, as from my own experience my DS has been rejecting bottles & it's taking quite an effort to get him used to them again!

Hope every one is well x

Hooya Sun 20-Oct-13 09:10:28

Hope checkup went well Wing - no fun having docs looking at your fanjo though!

Brilliant that you managed to bf this long too - I do think it's an achievement, much as bfing is going well for me I do think it's a big commitment and should be celebrated!

Thanks both for the advice on expressing - he's 6 weeks on Tuesday so we went for it today - he took the bottle beautifully and has had a breastfeed since with no issues. I think he's in the 6 week growth spurt now and ravenous so I expect if his milk were delivered by us throwing it at him, he'd find a way to drink it grin but I know this can change very rapidly i.e. a baby can start refusing for seemingly no reason...

Hope everyone is having a lovely weekend!

WingDefence Sun 20-Oct-13 13:57:57

Wow, 6 weeks already hooya? It only seem like yesterday that we were all giving each other HOOYAS on the JSing thread grin

Thanks to you and pineapple for asking about the appt? it was a very quick one just to check the dangly bits were still there so that should be it for ten years unless I can persuade DH and even my DMum that having a 3rd is a good idea

Hope you're all having a nice weekend (or had as you two are abroad!) cake

tiredteddy Sun 20-Oct-13 20:31:12

Wing, thirds are the best idea! grin

WingDefence Sat 26-Oct-13 08:06:35

Hmm tired I am trying not to think about it!!

Pineapple80 Wed 06-Nov-13 15:26:24

How is everyone doing? Hope you're all well. Still can't believe its November already. Wing - hope your return to work has been going well. I am actually looking to start in Jan but after a discussion today & potential opportunities, I may start sooner due to financial reasons. I've been feeling sad about it but will do whatever it takes for our family. Just that DS is not even 5 months old & wish I could stay home with him longer. I'm sure we will adjust though and DH will be caring for him in the meantime too which is for me, better than child care. I will keep you all updated on how things pan out smile.

DS has gone thru a lot of ups and downs with sleep in past month or so! Going from decent blocks of 6-7hrs to waking every hour. He is now sleeping well again (for now!) which is a relief!

Gone a little quiet here! So here is my go at trying to kick start our thread again!! grin

Take care all smile

Hooya Thu 07-Nov-13 03:31:12

Hello all! Pineapple you're right, it has been quiet! Hope everyone is really well.

Sounds like tough decisions re work. I'm going back in a month and I do feel very wobbly when I think about it, though I am missing work too. Wish I could do both more easily! And the nanny search is still not going great...

DS is still great, has one night feed each night and sleeps amazingly, though is more fussy in the evenings now.

Off out for a big night out tomorrow, nervous! Worried he'll reject the expressed milk and get upset sad but hoping not!

WingDefence Thu 07-Nov-13 11:58:26

I've been meaning to update for a few days but haven't got round to it!

Well getting back to work has been fine except it's my day off today and I've got the worst migraine I've had in a couple of years so I'm wiped out and all my plans to do things with DD have gone out of the window. At least she's slept for three hours this morning which meant I could go back to bed.

Talking of which - she's just woken up so I'd better get her. Ow my poor head sad

Pineapple80 Fri 08-Nov-13 08:08:47

Lovely to hear DS is doing so well Hooya! Sounds like such a good baby. Good luck with your nanny search, it does get a little stressful doesn't it? I hope your return to work goes smoothly. I think we will be ok, maybe once we are in the routine of it all, I will feel better about it. Enjoy your night out!smile

Oh Wing, hope u feel better soon, sounds awful confused.

Hope you're well Tired! How are you doing?

tiredteddy Fri 08-Nov-13 17:51:19

Hello lovely ladies! Well I'm not considering going back to work. I haven't worked for 5 years now blush eek, not sure what I'd do. I did teach reflection and loved so one day I'll go back I'm sure.

Wing, hope you are feeling better. It sounds like you dd is doing well at the childminder.

Pineapple, hello! I'm fine thanks. Dd is a proficient crawler now and is standing up at the furniture as often as she can though not actually cruising yet. I think it will be any day soon though. Can't believe how much you DS has changed!

Hi to hooya too. Your DS looks very cute. smile

We've had a few Weeks of broken sleep with teething. But still no teeth to show for it confused

tiredteddy Tue 12-Nov-13 18:38:43

Also what are everyone's thoughts on cot bumpers? Anyone use one? Dd is between my side of the bed and a very drafty sash window. It's the only place the cot fits and she'll be staying there until well into the new year when we have the time/ ,money and inclination to sort the loft room and move the boys up so she can go In Their room. At the moment she is cold and we have the rest of the winter to get through.

WingDefence Tue 12-Nov-13 21:50:22

Oh poor cold DD!

Hmm, well I am confused on them. I thought they were supposed to be a suffocation risk but lots of 'proper' shops (ie mothercare, mamas & papas and John Lewis) sell them so they can't be that dangerous! confused

If they are a risk, I'm sure it's when the baby is much younger and can't move if they get stuck or something?

Other options are just to make sure she's wrapped up etc. Babies can have cold faces and hands but be toasty warm inside a sleeping bag plus a blanket on top (we probably have too much on DD as her room isn't cold either... hmm).

Can you move your bed against the wall (a pain for getting in and out I know) and put DD on the other side?

tiredteddy Tue 12-Nov-13 21:55:40

Can't move bed as it fits in an alcove between wardrobes. I check the back of her neck and she was cool. She doesn't tend to move when she sleeps just stays on her back. I know what you mean about the proper shops selling them it confuses me too! Will try another layer and see how we get on....

Pineapple80 Tue 12-Nov-13 23:44:37

Tired, I have seen bumpers made of light mesh material which is meant to promote airflow but doesn't sound like that would help the draft problem! We are thinking of moving DS to his big cot soon and was thinking about bumpers too. Ahh exciting to hear DD's crawling! smile

Starting work us looking more probable for me now shock. Am pleased but also apprehensive. DS is not always sleeping thru, feel like he is still so young etc... But i think we will manage once in a routine. Question for you all... If I work 4 day week, what day would be best to take off? Mondays? Or mid week? I have DH caring for DS so no Childcare at the moment to work around... Hmm.

Hope everyone is well xsmile

WingDefence Wed 13-Nov-13 11:05:22

Pineapple with DS I took Fridays off as then it felt like a long weekend and I got the working week out of the way quicker too smile

But this time, I'm going for Thursdays (when I work compressed hours ie 5 days in 4 from January). That's because there are a couple of lovely baby groups I go to on Thursdays and I want to keep going to them.

If there is an activity (say swimming or a baby group or something similar) that you'd like to do, find out which day it's on and try for that day. Or perhaps there is a person/people you'd like to meet up with once a week (friend or relation) and see which day is best for them?

tired, hmm, you're right it's a tricky one. What do you dress her in at night? DD is in a long-sleeved bodysuit plus sleepsuit then has a 2.5 tog (I think, the one for cooler weather anyway) sleeping bag and then we stick a big fat knitted blanket on top. I actually think it's too much as she has been sweaty blush but I may just turn the radiator down in her room instead as it's only a small room and her cotbed is pretty near it (not next to it though).

DH always says that he grew up in rural Lancs in a farmhouse where they had no heating at all and he's regularly wake up with ice on the inside of the windows so DCs nowadays don't need to be too warm and he's quite possibly right wink grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now