Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Just Mumming Along (viroids 2)

(928 Posts)
Eskarina Mon 14-May-12 20:10:19

Tried to post on the original thread and my post got rejected as its full! Have copied and pasted below....

Congrats on the job offer ttl...hope the other one comes up trumps for you too.

Dd isn't quite crawling yet, but would very much like to. She is the queen of the Klingons at the moment, and has a meltdown the second I put her down, look in the opposite direction, or if someone else so much as looks at her. Not all the time thankfully, but definitely for part of every day.

On the bf thing, it's so personal.....I've just dropped doing the afternoon feed myself be cause dd is so distractible that she bobs on and off, which I don't like around other people, and now she finally has teeth the constant latch on/off was really hurting. I just bf once a day, our morning snuggle when she's nice and calm. I would be sad to give that one up just yet.

ICompletelyKnowAboutGuineaPigs Sun 04-Aug-13 23:28:26

I have a 3 year age gap between all of mine and find that works well. we've been really lucky as we've not had to cope with jealousy when either of the DDs arrived.

Something has quite a small gap between her DCs and she had a C/Section so maybe she knows?

Glad all mums and babies seem to be doing well. How is everyone with big kids coping with the holidays? Can't believe we're already 2 weeks in, its going quite fast grin

GaryBuseysTeeth Mon 05-Aug-13 21:11:18

Pineapple, I believe they advise you to wait a year after c-section so everything has a chance to heal properly?

We've got 19months between the two, it's strange all before & during this last pg I was convinced I wanted 3DC (after Ds1 couldn't wait to get pg again) but now I have no urge for DC3 at all, we'd struggle to afford it & DH is worried about being an old dad already so I doubt it'll even happen.
Feels strange being ok with that!

MrsBri, we're going away for a week next month. Tbh, it's only trying to entertain DS1 in the car for 3 hours I'm dreading!

Pineapple80 Mon 05-Aug-13 23:00:48

Thanks, waiting a year makes sense. I think we will wait a little longer but haven't even talked about it with DH yet! We def want another but we will see about timing. I'm planning to return to work 1st qtr next year so want to work most of the year if possible even part time if that's what we need to do. Then we will see!

Gary - I have always wanted 3 DCs but DH only wants 2. I always wonder how things will pan out! I'm glad you're ok with how it all has worked out for your family smile.

DS is having his 2 month immunisation today. Hoping he will be ok and no feverish side effects... Have some infant paracetamol on hand just in case.

ICompletelyKnowAboutGuineaPigs Tue 06-Aug-13 23:11:05

Glad you feel at peace with your family size Gary. We planned 2 children but after a few months I knew I really wanted a third. I'm not sure I'll ever get to the stage of feeling 'finished' as I just love all things babies, breastfeeding, birthing etc. Realistically Eleanor is my last baby but I know that if we had the space and money to have a 4th (and an OH who wanted one) I'd have one.
Will just have to find other ways to get my future baby fixes I suppose - maybe I should talk my brother in to having a baby, I'd love to be an aunty! grin

ICompletelyKnowAboutGuineaPigs Tue 06-Aug-13 23:12:56

How were the jabs Pineapple? Eleanor had some more today and has got to back in another month. Can't believe how many imms they get at such a young age sad

Pineapple80 Wed 07-Aug-13 00:04:34

Jabs were ok thanks Guinea. DS was irritable afterwards and the whole evening but was expecting it. He seems back to his usual self this morning smile. Hope Eleanor was ok with hers too.

WingDefence Wed 07-Aug-13 21:29:51

Hi all! I don't feel finished on the family front but both my DH and DMum aren't keen. (I'm close to my mum so do listen to what she says grin.) they are both one of three though, eldest and middle child respectively so perhaps they know what it's like?

DD has had a sleep regression. At 13-14 weeks she was sleeping from 7/8pm till 5/6 with a dream feed somewhere between 10 and 11. Then we went on holiday and had the heat wave and she went back to waking once for a feed in the night (anywhere between 3:30 and 4:30) and has also cried out in her sleep for about 30-60 seconds at odd times these past few nights. She doesn't need me to get up for those though.

I can't help but compared to DS who slept 7-7 without dream feeds from 12 weeks hmm I wonder if when I stop BFing that'll make a difference?

We've been to a theme park today. It was ace and both DCs were fab smile

WingDefence Wed 07-Aug-13 21:30:47

She's 19 weeks on Friday btw, or 4 months two weeks depending on how you look at it!

StuckOnARollercoaster Thu 08-Aug-13 07:53:34

Time is flying by and can't quite believe how old the babies are now and that there are new little ones like Caspian!

I'm an only child and as a result I have always said I would like 2 but the trauma of childbirth hasn't faded for me and I find myself thinking I would be happy to just have Daisy. (Remind me when I'm back on the JS thread!!!)

Daisy is now 7 nearly 8 weeks and we are definitely getting more settled. Gradually getting more sleep at night, feeding is not a problem and I seem to understand her cries and what she wants a bit better although we do have our moments when she can really exercise those lungs with her cries. Am completely besotted with the smiles and gurgles that she gives us now.

Can I ask what you do when your baby is falling asleep or just asleep and you hear a poo? I hate waking her up to change as it makes her alert again but she's had horrible nappy rash if I've let her stay asleep. I do try to not put her down till she's had her poos after feeding but she is a poo monster and it's such a dilemma as it takes a long time to calm her down again for sleep.

Pineapple80 Thu 08-Aug-13 08:44:42

Hi Stuck! Cross post!

In regards to poo during a feed, I always change DS if I hear a fart/poo. It's always such a pain as I only put a fresh nappy on but can't bear to have him sleep in a pooey nappy even for a few hrs. Sometimes it is just a fart and no poo but often it is a big poo that has shot up his back confused! If only we had nappy windows to see the extent of the damage grin.

Our DC are only a few days apart, he has only recently started with the big smiles and cooing and chatter. I love it, so lovely smile. I'm glad you're enjoying motherhood as much as I am for the first time!

Pineapple80 Thu 08-Aug-13 10:01:37

Wing - can't believe your DD is 19 weeks! Sorry to hear her sleep patterns have been regressing. Will you keep at things as they are now and see how she goes? My DS just started sleeping 3 a 3.5 hr blocks since yesterday. Too soon to know if its going to continue, so we will see!

DS is going to be 8 wks tomorrow, how time flies! He is approx 10lb now! Not sure how accurate our scales are but he definitely feels a lot more hefty these days grin. Have the 8 wks checkup with the nurse bect week so will get official measurements then! We went out for a walk on our own today as it was nice and sunny outside. Actually it was our first time out on our own! DH has been with us every other time. So felt like a big achievement smile. I'll have to do it more often if the weather is good. Don't realise how isolating it is in the house all day...

How is everyone else and your babies doing? Hope all are well x

GaryBuseysTeeth Thu 08-Aug-13 18:58:36

My birth story (thought I'd posted on the antenatal fred);
Night of Friday 26th I had two gushes of clear liquid, assumed it was waters, nothing else happened.
Went into triage Saturday morning, they had a root around & it didn't look like anything had gone, had a quick scan & they booked me in for a 2nd scan on Monday because it sounded like fluids going.
Not a sausage for the rest of Sat, Sun or Monday morning (although he had slow movements on Monday so I would've gone in if I hadn't had scan booked).
Scan Monday afternoon showed reduced fluid level, but internal exam showed no sign of ruptures/rips.
Fetal monitoring for a while, he starts dancing away, but really painfully (which was because of reduced fluid)...they decide they'll induce now because of how long it had been since I reported waters going & reduced movements, with a view to give DS2 antibiotics via me because of infection risk
However, they let me go home for an hour because I hadn't bought my hospital bag blush

Got back to hospital at 7pm, really busy so nothing happened, no beds on labour ward, sent DH home at 3am to get some sleep...3.20am called him to come back because I had a bed & they were about to break my waters.

Moved into a delivery room & then DH arrived, MW had a rummage around & I was already 3cm gone & 'bulging' so she popped my waters.
Started having 'discomforts' straight away & asked DH to hook up the TENS, MW was going on her break so cover MW came in & I asked her for G&A...t'was bliss (with DS1 I didn't get the G&A until after the epidural).
Things started getting really uncomfortable & I had the urge to push, MW looked a bit panicked & got the IV antibiotics set up (and my name wrist band attached!), called in another MW & DS2 was born shortly after that (not enough time for antibiotics, so had to stay in for monitoring for 24hrs)....DH cried, DS2 cried & I was proud of myself for not pooing or swearing grin

It was 1hr 39m (not 45mins like I posted on fb) & amazing compared to DS1, really chuffed I was aware of DS2 being born.

ChildOfThe1980s Thu 08-Aug-13 19:14:34

Well done Gary smile Great birth experience. My second labour was also SO much better than my first (but did last 40 hours - a bit longer than yours- lol).

Glad that your baby is sleeping a bit better now Pineapple - I didn't realise that 5 hours is seen as sleeping through- blimey. To me it has to be at least 8 hours. But I won't complain. I love going for walks with DD - it always makes me happy to be outside.

Hope your DD's sleep gets better again Wing

I always change a pooey nappy straight away. Although we are down to one poo every 2-3 days now.

Hope you are all well. x

Pineapple80 Mon 12-Aug-13 02:35:09

Gary that's a lovely birth story smile, thanks for sharing. I love hearing about births & always makes me reflect upon my own. You're so fortunate to have a such a short labour! Well done. I hope your DS is well smile

Thinking of births, I have been thinking lately if we are lucky to have another DC I really would like to try for VBAC if possible and if the previous issues (DS measuring borderline below 10th centile) don't crop up again. Even though I am glad we were both happy & safe during his birth I'd love to be able to experience a "normal" delivery next time...

WingDefence Mon 12-Aug-13 13:58:38

Great to hear your birth story Gary although I read it as how the MWs and hospital mucked you around but i'm probably just projecting my own experience from DS onto that!

DD went three nights Thurs-Sat sleeping through till 6pm again hurrah! But back to waking once last night at 3am boo. We're heading down to London tomorrow to see friends and fmaily and she'll be in the travel cot which she's not been in before so I expect disturbed nights. But as I know she can sleep through quite happily, I'll not worry until we get back and then I will be stern with her wink grin

Regards a poo I always change. If you do it quietly enough without any chatting or looking directly in DC's face it shouldn't make them !WIDE AWAKE! and they should go back off again fairly easily. I've had the same thoughts about burping DD at night when she's fallen asleep on me (not a habit to feed her to sleep, it's when I'm doing the dream or middle-of-the-night feed) but I read somewhere that if there is wind, she'll have a worse sleep anyway and once she's brought it up she will go back down. And it is true when I can get a bloomin burp out of her as she likes to hang onto them smile

MrsBri Mon 12-Aug-13 15:39:02

Wow, Gary, that's speedy! And I thought mine was fast. Clearly not ;-p

Lovely birth story though.

And what is it about babies holding onto wind? Amy much prefers to cling on to it, even though she suffers terribly when she does.

And we always change during the night as we don't get a gentle wake up for feeds. She goes straight into 'I'M BLOODY STARVING...FEED ME NOW!' mode, as Wing can testify to! :-/

We've now got great night lights in our room, the landing and the nursery though so we can do everything in a dimmed light. Once she starts waking without hysteria!

Enjoy London, Wing :-) We want to get down at some point too, just because.

Hope everyone is well. On my phone so relying on memory for responses required. Not very well!

Pineapple80 Tue 13-Aug-13 08:40:50

My DS is going thu a "I don't wanna sleep" phase (hope it's jut a phase!). Has regressed to 2 hr sleeps at night and 1.5hr day naps hmm.

Have been reading about Wonder Weeks - and week 8 is meant to be a huge developmental leap which can lead to fussiness and sleep disruption for up to a week! I guess it's like a mental growth spurt of sorts? Anyway I really do hope this is temporary, we are really exhausted.

How is everyone else doing? Glad to hear DD started to get back on track Wing. And MrsBri, Amy is so cute, loving latest pics smile.

StuckOnARollercoaster Tue 13-Aug-13 18:15:39

hi all - that development at week 8ish makes sense here as well. Daisy is really alert and when she's awake she wants to be upright and looking and listening to everything. If you lay her down where she can't see much then you sure know about it! Unfortunately for 2 weeks in a row she's had the ideal opportunity at the 'baby moves' session and both times she's fallen asleep in probably the noisiest place she's been in!

thanks for the answers about changing - I do have a real little poo monster!!! Am wishing for that scenario I've read about where bf babies can go several days without a poo but its definitely not happening here! I keep trying to not engage with her but its very difficult when she gives you a big gummy happy grin and you just want to grin and cuddle that bundle of cuteness! similarly we don't have a 'dream feed' at night - she always wakes and wants to look around even if the lights are so low there's little to see!

hope everyones well... and especially that pineapple gets some sleep soon!

Pineapple80 Wed 14-Aug-13 00:34:13

Thank you Stuck. My DS slept better last night and did a 3 hr sleep for the first time in a few days. I know that doesn't sound like much to some, but it is a good stretch for him grin. He seems more himself as well, less clingy and fussy which I'm pleased about. I can relate on the poo front! DS poos with every feeding too and almost immediately after half a feed! I guess it is good to know they are eating well and disposing of it grin.

We have DS's 8 wk checkup with the nurse today so we're hoping everything is well.

Pineapple80 Wed 14-Aug-13 14:26:41

DS is now 10lb 8oz! Grown 5cms inl length in a month and head circ has also increased a couple of cms. So we are really pleased.

Out of interest do any of you swaddle your babies? I am guessing maybe not as it was summer and possibly too warm but it is commonly done & encouraged in Australia. My friend in the UK told me it wasn't recommended there by SIDS advisors. It is kind of the opposite here, they say swaddling helps keep baby on their back. I've been doing so for DS since birth and feel that it helps him sleep better, his startle reflex used to wake him up. We will probably stop soon as we plan to try transition him to a grobag - I bought a couple recently (from the UK as hey are so expensive here in Aus!).

StuckOnARollercoaster Wed 14-Aug-13 14:57:52

Pineapple - I didn't swaddle at first even though that's what the midwife did when she was first born. Sleeping was rubbish in first month and after a bit of reading (baby whisperer) and youtube (Richard & Judy happiest baby) I started to swaddle and the impact was almost instant. Her naps extended and she just felt calmer and happier and I could settle her easier when she was tired or crying. Just had to get over her initial shock, but eventually she would let me swaddle her with no fuss. On the really hot days she wasn't swaddled and didn't sleep well - probably a combination of the heat and waking herself up.
Last few days she's clearly discovered her hands and in more control of them, using one to suck on, rather than just automatic waving around, so I popped her in a sleeping bag yesterday and it was fine. I think that's because she's that bit older now and can settle herself back to sleep if something rouses her too early. I think she is comfier because she's in the 'frog' position and hands up by her head so I will stay with the sleeping bags hopefully now. Not sure if its coincidence but we also had our longest nights sleep last night, so I think the timing is right to stop the swaddling. Its always there as an option if she is very upset or isn't getting decent length of sleep.

Pineapple80 Thu 15-Aug-13 07:51:29

Hi Stuck, nice to known you're a fellow swaddler. And you're also transitioning Daisy to a sleeping bag, keep me posted on how she goes. Sounds like she is adjusting well. My DS doesn't like the swaddle a great deal he tends to fight it and escape but my technique has improved and keeps him in it through his sleeps most times! It has been nice as its winter here and is a bonus as it keeps his hands nice and warm.

I attended my first mothers group today and it was lovely. I was a bit apprehensive (im a bit shy!) but it was great.

How is everyone doing lately? Hope you're all doing well.

Hi everyone, just checking in between feeds/nappy changes. Please reassure me that the number of dirty nappies decreases with time ?!

I've been lightly swaddling Caspian just at night time and it definitely helps him settle. He is pretty good at night, doing one or two blocks of 3 hours between feeds and other than that 2 hourly. The latching on still takes a while as he goes a bit mad goldfish smacking his lips and therefore not keeping the big open mouth! Once he is on it is usually far more comfortable now.

He was weighed yesterday aged 2 weeks 4 days and is 7lb 9 now so the feeding is definitely working smile he seems so much bigger than when he was born, but even now is smaller than either DS1 or DD at birth!

We are off to the mainland in a week and a bit and are very excited. Flying into Gatwick then visiting Bristol, Brighton and then a couple of nights prob Crawley area so we can maybe do a day trip to London. Hopefully C will manage ok on the flight, fortunately it is only about 45 minutes in the air. it means by the time he turns one month he will have made 4 return ferry crossings and been on an aeroplane so a well travelled baby smile

Pineapple80 Mon 19-Aug-13 02:44:30

Waves - so pleased to hear Caspian is gaining weight, sounds like he is doing very well! Enjoy your trip too smile

How is everyone doing? Hope all is well.

DS slept 4.5 hrs last night, which is a record for him so far!! grin Very proud mummy here! His day naps are a bit shorter though, but that's ok.

Had a nice weekend, we went to the market for lunch (bit like borough market in London) & walked around with DS in the Ergo carrier. Think we have to get out and about more, we had a lovely time! smile

WingDefence Tue 20-Aug-13 09:08:06

Hi all! We swaddled DD because every time I put her down asleep the flailing arms and startle reflex would wake her up!

She's doing slightly better at night in that she's sleeping through half the time but I just wish there were some regularity to it hmm I know I shouldn't compare DCs already but DS (fully FF from 6 weeks) slept through 7-7 from 12 weeks with none of this dream feed business.

Oh well, she's 20.4 weeks so our next stage is weaning onto solids. I'll probably wean her fully off me and onto formula (she has one bottle a day) at that stage. Sob!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now