Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Just Mumming Along (viroids 2)

(913 Posts)
Eskarina Mon 14-May-12 20:10:19

Tried to post on the original thread and my post got rejected as its full! Have copied and pasted below....

Congrats on the job offer ttl...hope the other one comes up trumps for you too.

Dd isn't quite crawling yet, but would very much like to. She is the queen of the Klingons at the moment, and has a meltdown the second I put her down, look in the opposite direction, or if someone else so much as looks at her. Not all the time thankfully, but definitely for part of every day.

On the bf thing, it's so personal.....I've just dropped doing the afternoon feed myself be cause dd is so distractible that she bobs on and off, which I don't like around other people, and now she finally has teeth the constant latch on/off was really hurting. I just bf once a day, our morning snuggle when she's nice and calm. I would be sad to give that one up just yet.

ChildOfThe1980s Sun 23-Jun-13 21:40:27

Congrats and welcome Curiosity smile

DD has slept very well for the last two nights - long may it continue!

Pineapple80 Mon 24-Jun-13 00:05:07

Great to hear Child! My DS has been doing that too and being very unsettled after the midnight (or thereabouts) feed. After being swaddled, he struggles and fusses and does that for nearly 2 hrs before sleeping hmm. It only happens at night though and the days he sleeps very well!

Anyway he is only a week old and still learning, as are we...so have to for it time I guess!

WingDefence Tue 25-Jun-13 11:14:14

Brilliant to see you grads on here! Hopefully the others will come over too soon smile

DD is now 12+4 shock and has been napping since 9:15 shock I hope she's done a poo though amazing the things you talk abuot when you become a mum! as she's not done one for a couple of days, which is most unlike her hmm

Oh, right on cue, she's waking up! First baby massage session at 12 so good timing really as I'd best get a feed inside her before we head out grin

Pineapple80 Tue 25-Jun-13 17:46:11

Hi Wing smile! Thanks & enjoy your baby massage class, it sounds great!

Currently feeding DS, been very unsettled before his last sleep hmm. Hoping that he goes down ok after this feed, fingers crossed...

tiredteddy Wed 26-Jun-13 18:52:51

So nice hearing about these tiny babies/newborns. Everyone says it but treasure every moment as they truly change so fast. Fern will be 24 weeks at the weekend and is trying to sit up. She is still a very contented little sole. We are fast approaching weaning! I spy to teeth that are nearly through.

WingDefence Wed 26-Jun-13 22:01:17

Blimey, six months! That has gone so fast grin

Baby massage was lovely, and helped to produce a lovely lot of poo a couple of hours later!

She had her second set of jabs today and coped very well - only a short cry. Tomorrow I'm taking her to the Antiques Roadshow to get a couple of things valued! But read that it's a lot of queuing and if it's outside, you must take umbrellas as they'll not stop filming. <note to self: find rain cover urgently>
<second note to self: take calpol in case DD is ill>

She is getting so lovely and chatty now. These last 12 weeks have gone by so quickly, as tired said above, but you don't notice it as it's happening, do you?

Right, best wake DD for her last feed and then to bed...

tiredteddy Wed 26-Jun-13 23:01:32

Ooh antiques road show cool! Hope you've got something worth loads. Practise your surprised face in the mirror in the morning wink bet they'll film you as your dd is so cute! Have funsmile

Pineapple80 Thu 27-Jun-13 11:42:14

Tired & Wing, can't believe how old your babies are already! It only feels like yesterday you were both still pregnant grin!

DS will be 2 wks old tomorrow! I'm not sure where the past fortnight has gone either. He has gained weight going by the home visits by the nurse which is great news. I have had some teary days since the birth. Think it is a combination of sleep deprivation & hormones. I hope it is anyway. I think DH was worried as almost anything has been setting me off!! Did any of you get the "baby blues" as they call it?

Hope you all have a lovely day! smile

tiredteddy Thu 27-Jun-13 14:40:16

Yes I definitely did Pineapple. I think it coincides with milk coming in and supply sorting itself out, such a surge of hormones. Also imagine all the hormones that have disappeared now your baby is born. Our bodies must be in chaos with hormones in those first few weeks. I was very baby blues with ds1 (pfb comes into it, it's all new etc) and less so with ds2 but very emotional. This time I escaped (no doubt due to bottle feeding for me, and she is such a reward to us after the past 18 months ) so I'm sure you'll fall into your stride as a mum and it will pass. Hugs x

Pineapple80 Fri 28-Jun-13 06:14:37

Thanks Tired. It makes sense re: hormones etc, doesn't it? Just awful to feel so emotional at this special time. It comes and goes and I am feeling fine afterwards. We are lucky to have good support around, DH is home and helping out and PIL are also cooking a few times a week for us, which is fabulous. I guess I should remind myself of how lucky we are next time I am feeling teary :-).

WingDefence Fri 28-Jun-13 11:38:34

As you'll have seen on FB, the Antiques Roadshow was a bit of a let down! Glad we got fast-tracked to the front of the huuuuuuge queue though - there was a lady with a 1-month-old behind us, who also sat down next to me to whip her boobs out and feed her DD grin

Pineapple I had the baby blues with DS but it lasted 7 weeks not a few days hmm It stopped when I stopped battling with bfing and went back on the pill i.e. all my hormones got sorted out and I felt more like 'me' again.

But it's a combination of things - the overwhelming love and sense of responsibility you feel for this new life, as well as the amazing sense of awe that you have created! I also 'mourned' the loss of our old life - I just wanted it to be me and DH again. I did get over it, but you need to keep an eye on yourself and be honest if things keep on getting to you (to us, to your DH but most importantly be honest to yourself). Because you may not be in a constant state of doom & gloom/feel 'depressed' at all - I had a lot of time where I did feel okay and happy and normal - but this time round I can really tell the difference as it's been BAM happy thoughts, deep love from the first moment I saw DD. I didn't have that with DS (not that I'll tell him this until he's much, much older and probably when he has DCs of his own!).

But you are only in week 2 - please don't be scared by what I say! It's just that I want to tell you just in case you end up feeling teary for another month, and none of us want that for you smile brew

Anyway, I'm currently on teleconference with work (on mute so I can type loudly!) so I'd better zone out of MN and back into work grin DH has taken DD out shopping to give me a couple of hours without worrying about them.

CuriosityCola Sat 29-Jun-13 00:57:42

Struggling to find time to post with a crazy toddler trying to grab my phone during the day and a cluster feeding newborn keeping me up during the night.

pineapple my youngest ds is 3 weeks tomorrow. I have been really emotional too. Either everything is going great or I'm sitting in floods of tears. I think one of the problems for me is that I am missing spending as much time with my pfb. Dh and I are arguing over how to discipline said pfb. I have also only been getting around 4 hours sleep a night and no chance for catch up during the day.

The tears should pass in time though. Hormones are a pain. Like we don't have enough to contend with!

On a lighter note...I turned round today to find ds1 chewing a strip of condoms he had pulled from dh's bedside table. Think he thought they were sweets?! Lucky I noticed as it could have been an awful choking hazard, a nightmare to explain to anyone and an unplanned pregnancy with condoms full of holes ;) Though the last one wouldn't have been tested for some time yet!

Does anyone else here have more than one dc?

Pineapple80 Sat 29-Jun-13 11:45:16

Thanks Wing & Cola. It's comforting to know the tears & roller coaster of emotions aren't too unusual but will def also keep myself on check if things do get a bit more serious.

I also feel like I want to make the most of this time with DH & DS for a few weeks without too many distraction, ie. too many visitors! We haven't had many thank goodness, just immediate family. My parents live on the other side of Oz and will be coming to stay for a fortnight mid next month.

Cola - I think most of the ladies here have other DCs.

Well just trying to settle DS now and hopefully have some dinner after grin

Have a lovely weekend x

Pineapple80 Sat 29-Jun-13 11:48:25

Child - how has DD's sleeping been lately? Hope it has been good.

We are still learning from our little guy, been up and down over our first 2wks and have learnt to expect the unexpected with his night sleeps! grin

WingDefence Sun 30-Jun-13 21:24:36

Pineapple yes, don't overdo it with visitors and those that do come (eg your family), get them to help out with cooking and cleaning and taking baby out for an hour so that you can sleep without having to worry that they'll wake you up! Bliss smile

Curiosity my DS is 4 and a half today! I can't imagine him chewing on a condom grin not that we have any in the house as I can't stand them and haven't used one for approx 10 years

Pineapple80 Mon 01-Jul-13 15:56:05

Hi ladies, hope you're all well smile.

DS is sleeping only about 1.5 hrs per sleep today confused. He did have a 2.5 and 3 hrs sleep early morning but have had very short sleeps the rest of the day. So odd, not sure why. He is feeding as per usual though after waking. Just putting it all down to being little.

Finding that I'm googling for newborn advice a lot and getting myself a little worried reading about things and whether I am doing things right! For example, I have since leaving hospital been feeding DS till he sleeps. Then we will settle him a bit more and then put him down in crib. He won't just go to sleep if we out him down without and feed! I read online (various random forums) that it could create a habit for baby that i may regret later?! Any thoughts on this or should I just stop googling and follow instinct?

CuriosityCola Tue 02-Jul-13 02:45:03

wing my dislike for them is probably why dh has ended up with such a stock pile andwhywe--now--have--ds2

CuriosityCola Tue 02-Jul-13 02:54:05

pineapple step away from google or at least stick to things that don't make you worry!

There are two schools of thought. One is that you are spoiling baby and making rod for your own back.

Second is that it is one of the many benefits of breastfeeding. The nipple is after all the original dummy. The theory that you can't spoil a newborn goes with this.

I always fed ds to sleep. He now sleeps in the buggy, car or goes to bed fine. I would recommend the book 'no cry sleep solution'. Only because it has some sleep strategies that are very long term and I wish I had started them sooner. Plus we stopped ds going to sleep on the boob (when is stopped bf) by using the pull off technique. I wish I had introduced a blanket/ comforter earlier. Ds has never had any interest in one.

I have read everything from Gina Ford's Contented Baby to 'three in a bed' (ended up co-sleeping). Just choose what is right for you out of them.

MrsBri Tue 02-Jul-13 08:27:58

Hi all! Just marking my place for when I have time to post more. :-)

I've ordered that book, Cola, as Amy isn't great at settling right now. Hopefully the tips will help. And we have a bed nest coming today.

Pineapple, my hormones are all over the shop, so I know how you feel.

Got the midwife today. Amy had lost 7% of her birth weight on Saturday, so hoping she's put some on now.

Hope everyone is ok.

Pineapple80 Tue 02-Jul-13 08:38:08

Thanks Cola, it is nice to know your DS also nursed to sleep too. I will need to step away from google but it is just so easy to think, oh I wonder what others do/think about XYZ? google is so easy & available!

I will def look up that book too. I've recently bought Save our Sleep by Tizzie Hall and want to just read about what she has to offer. My good friend has sworn by her techniques and other friends have not really taken to them at all. So I will read and make my own mind up!

Welcome MrsBri and a big hug to you x. Great to see you here. Hope Amy has gained some weight and that you're healing well yourself. smile

We have our maternal nurse appointment tomorrow so DS will get weighed in, fingers crossed for some good gains smile

CuriosityCola Tue 02-Jul-13 13:20:45

mrsbri I have the bed nest and love it. I think the mattress is a little firm so I have put a soft blanket on top. It's so nice being able to see ds while he asleep. I knew I would probably end up co-sleeping, but dh wasn't as keen this time. It's a good compromise. Good luck with the weigh in. Let us know how it goes. How often is your little one feeding at the moment?

pineapple the name of that book rings a bell. Is it set schedules or tips for a calmer baby?

For those bf 'the food of love' is quite good. It really helped dh understand cluster feeding and was a good boost whenever I was struggling.

MrsBri Tue 02-Jul-13 16:46:43

Amy has put 2oz on since Sat :-) Going good.

She feeds every 3 or so hours, with a couple of extras at bedtime as she uses it as a comfort thing, plus a couple of shorter, one boob, morning feeds. About 10 times in 24 hours in total. How about you?

CuriosityCola Tue 02-Jul-13 20:20:26

That's good mrsbri. It's always such a relief to know that the feeds are putting some weight on them. My ds wasn't very demanding (because of his tongue tie) so I was following Kelly's mom recommendation of offering every 2 hours during the day and no longer than 4 hours at night. He has been doing loads of cluster feeding during the day at the moment though. Just going with this and waiting to reach the magic 6-8 week mark, where everything gets easier! His weight seems to be going on ok. No loss of birth weight and a good gain at the first weigh in. Can't remember figures blush

I have only been offering ds one boob per feed. If he is cluster feeding I switch after half an hour. Do you think it's better to offer both sides at each feed? I really wish I had kept a diary of ds1's feeds and sleep patterns. Can't remember what I did last time.

MrsBri Tue 02-Jul-13 20:48:19

If he's putting on weight I wouldn't worry too much, Cola.

I think Amy is trying to gain more though as she's had 8 boobs' worth since 3pm! She's finally asleep now. See how long she sleeps after that much food.

I'm keeping a note of feeds / times / which boob just to keep an eye on what's happening.

Pineapple80 Tue 02-Jul-13 23:58:43

I have been using iPhone apps to record DS's sleeps & feeds (2 separate apps) - really useful to look back on.

Cola - have read (some of that googling I've been doing grin) that it doesn't really matter if offer only one boob or both per feed. As long as you alternate to other boob next feed, baby will get enough of the hind & fore milk (which I don't really know a great deal about, so feel free to explain away!). Sounds like your DS weight gains are good anyway smile.

We have a weigh-in this afternoon, hoping this little boy has put some weight on! Will pop back later to report back.

DS slept better overnight, did a 3 hr & after a 2.5hr stretch which felt like luxury to DH & I! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now