Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Just Mumming Along (viroids 2)

(893 Posts)
Eskarina Mon 14-May-12 20:10:19

Tried to post on the original thread and my post got rejected as its full! Have copied and pasted below....

Congrats on the job offer ttl...hope the other one comes up trumps for you too.

Dd isn't quite crawling yet, but would very much like to. She is the queen of the Klingons at the moment, and has a meltdown the second I put her down, look in the opposite direction, or if someone else so much as looks at her. Not all the time thankfully, but definitely for part of every day.

On the bf thing, it's so personal.....I've just dropped doing the afternoon feed myself be cause dd is so distractible that she bobs on and off, which I don't like around other people, and now she finally has teeth the constant latch on/off was really hurting. I just bf once a day, our morning snuggle when she's nice and calm. I would be sad to give that one up just yet.

MulledVodkaAndXmasMincePies Fri 21-Dec-12 22:21:46

!

MulledVodkaAndXmasMincePies Fri 21-Dec-12 22:22:00

!!

MulledVodkaAndXmasMincePies Fri 21-Dec-12 22:26:20

Taps fingers.

Dynababy Fri 21-Dec-12 23:51:35

Glad you guys are on the mend mulled just in time to celebrate! Boob milk defo best for curing / preventing illness everything used to bounce of DS when he was on the boob juice and now not so much sad Feeling much more Christmassy now... Work done until jan 2nd and lat pressie bought... Friends over tomorrow then off down south to DH's fam woohoo... Lots of time with my baby boy! Talking of babies I swear I can feel some movement already ... Only 13.5 weeks.. Is this poss!? Spreading Christmas cheer to all! smile

takethatlady Sat 22-Dec-12 08:45:41

PMSL mulled, I fell asleep and didn't get a chance to come over here last night!

I am upduffed smile

I am also pissed off with myself for getting drunk. I reckon I am about 6 weeks, though I don't actually have a clue as not having had a period since coming off the pill in October could mean anything. Didn't start ttc until 21 November, - prob more like 25th by the time we actually DTD.

Aso the symptom spotting has begun - I tested because I had horribe MS and now it's totally gone ...

Eskarina Sat 22-Dec-12 09:16:59

Oooooooooh ttl congratulations! Try not to beat yourself up about the drinking. It's happened now and you'll only make yourself worry. I'm sure your lo will be fine. I know what you mean about the symptom spotting, I'm still doing it! Weirdly I've been less sick this time round but I feel horrendous most of the time. But it goes in waves, I'll have a couple of better days where I worry like mad then it hits me again. The mw explained that the hcg does increase in waves and you feel slightly better because your body gets used to the current level, then it shoots up again. Obv with two in there the effect is stronger!

I'm slowly coming round to the idea of having twins. I think it's helped to be able to tell people as saying it out loud makes it more real somehow. The bleeding has continued, just a small amount, always brown, but still, every day since Monday. The mw wasn't too worried and I'm to go to a&e if it turns red. Have my official 12 week scan next Friday and a consultant appointment on the 8th. I got all the "we'll do everything we can to support a natural delivery" spiel. I was quite adamant that they could do everything I want to get me a c-section or I'd be going elsewhere. I talked about dd's difficult delivery and cried a bit and it seemed to help!

nickelbabylyinginamanger Sat 22-Dec-12 10:26:52

ttl - the day I found out I was pregnant, I'd had 2 big glasses of wine the night before.

DD is not a lush... wink

CuriouslyChristmassyColaHam Sat 22-Dec-12 12:39:13

Congrats ttl. This is becoming a very upduffed thread grin

mulled I think I was confusing princess with Katiee. It's weird to miss people you have never met. I wish Josie and Nervousnelly would pop by with updates.

CuriouslyChristmassyColaHam Sat 22-Dec-12 12:41:17

Does anyone feel like they know what they are having? Despite feeling like I'm having a boy, I keep having a dream about a baby girl called Ivy?! Very strange.

MulledVodkaAndXmasMincePies Sat 22-Dec-12 13:21:04

See I PROMISED I hadn't said anything!!! And as I recall you had the same disappearing reappearing symptoms last time too.

Yay for feeling more festive Dyna. grin [hangs tinsel on everyone]

Eskarina Sat 22-Dec-12 18:39:37

My guess is 2 boys as I've been less sick than last time despite there being 2 in there. But I'm rather hoping for one of each so there's no chance that I'll forget which is which

Dynababy Sat 22-Dec-12 18:59:05

Ooh congrats TTL when you said no period I wanted to chant POAS but resisted the urge!!! My friend did similar to you when preg with no 2, got royally pissed on my birthday night out just before she found out.. Anyway confessed to doc who said no worries as baba not yet utilising same blood stream ... So don't worry. Are you going to confess to family? Schloer on Xmas day might reveal you anyway!! I'm knackered .... 9 over for lunch, cleaning cooking hosting then massive clear up.. Need a lie down! CC my gut feeling says girl but might just be because I'd love one of each.. Though a brother for DS would be fab too. Your recurrent dream is your subconscious saying it thinks girl!

Dynababy Sat 22-Dec-12 19:02:59

Ooh Esk meant to say if that's what your comfortable with stand your ground! Twins you've got good reason for them to agree! Good luck for scan and hope bleeding stops soon.

vallinnapod Sun 23-Dec-12 22:02:59

Well, I am shamelessly and inappropriately rubbing up against all you preggers bods grin Just over a week left on the pill before the next round of drugs starts.

nickelbabylyinginamanger Mon 24-Dec-12 10:22:31

god, I can't even face the thought of another one right now.

DD was awake most of the night because she's got a humdinger of a cold and spent the whole night suckling, but because she can't breathe through her mouth, kept pulling off in frustration, then crying about it, and moaning if I tried to make her not latch back on again.

eventually, she went to sleep sideways along our pillows. (i had her on my chest, but she moved around to make herself comfortable)
DH and I were both right on the edge of the bed.

CuriouslyChristmassyColaHam Mon 24-Dec-12 17:05:51

Posted a message about having novovirus for the past 4 days, but it appears to have disappeared. Anyway, just been prescribed anti sickness tablet cyclizine. Here's hoping the sickness stops and this is going to be the start of a very merry Christmas! smile

Nickel hope your dd feels better soon.

Val sending positive pregnant thoughts your way. Does the start of the tablets mean the start of, for want of a better phrase, shagging with intent?

vallinnapod Tue 25-Dec-12 14:47:28

Nah, thank god there is no sex required wink. Only part joking. There is nothing more libido destroying than having to have sex! The next tablets thicken my womb lining. Then I take progesterone to simulate all the hormones post ovulation and finally the thaw the babies out and turkey baste them back grin

CuriouslyChristmassyColaHam Tue 25-Dec-12 22:24:37

Forgive me for the stupid question. You are right though, there is nothing worse than having to have sex.

Well, I hope everyone has had a good day. I managed to eat a small amount of Christmas dinner. Hats off to my mil as it was delicious. Ds has had an exhausting day and his naps were all out, ended back up and running riot until 10pm. If only that meant he would sleep to 10am <wishful thinking>

MulledVodkaAndXmasMincePies Wed 26-Dec-12 19:59:40

Happy Holidays Lovely Ladies. Hope you have all had a lovely time and are now resting before more celebrations next week Xx.

I now have a Ginormous pile of turkey to work through after DH nabbed me a £72 gobbler for just £35. There was only 4 of us and the kids ate barely a thing.

takethatlady Sun 30-Dec-12 20:36:17

Happy holidays ladies. How is your DD nickel? I hope you're getting more sleep!

esk how are you? Has the spotting stopped? I had a bit of spotting which was bright red but only once and then just brownish. I had it with DD too and it's stopped again now so I'm not worrying about it. Nor about coming-and-going symptoms, since I have had two major vom episodes and am quite glad that in general I feel nothing but knackered and a bit nauseous.

val, rub away ...

I have a question to ask and a confession to make. I haven't told many people about this as I know it's controversial and I'm still really in two minds about it. After 17 months of sleep deprivation (it got better when DD stopped BFing, but then slid back into hell again), we decided to do controlled crying. Well, we didn't exactly decide: it was more that DD was up six hours a night at least twice a week and milk, cuddles, rocking, co-sleeping, lullabyes, patting her in the cot, all had no effect. She was grumpy and tearful in the day half the time, and we were all just shattered. I never ever wanted to do this and I still hate myself a bit for doing it. But after one night where she cried for 20 mins three times, she went to about three minutes of moaning at the start and then eleven hours of solid sleep.

Trouble is, it went a bit haywire at Christmas as my mum was here for 2 nights and thought it brilliant to wind Isobel up to fever pitch right before bed, feeding her chocolate, chasing her, screaming, tickling, throwing her around, etc. Plus she was in a travel cot in our room and knew we were there. Since Christmas Day she's been crying for 15 minutes before falling asleep, and begging us not to leave her in the cot. I can't actually hack it. She's still sleeping through, and in the day she's so much better - happy, lively, able to play all day without ill effect, not crying every time she falls over or drops something - and obviously we're enjoying getting a full night's sleep. We worried that if we didn't crack it before she was in a real bed she'd be up running about all night and it would be so much harder to do it.

But now that she's crying so long before falling asleep I just feel like the world's worst mother. Have any of you tried it? And had setbacks? Is it worth persevering? It feels cruel to stop now, having put her through it, and equally cruel to carry on. It doesn't help that we're very tactile parents (not that I'd ever change that), and that we cuddle and kiss and snuggle her all day long and try to avoid tantrums by offering her alternatives, distracting her, making her giggle, etc, rather than just saying no - and then suddenly all that stops at bedtime.

vallinnapod Sun 30-Dec-12 21:17:06

<brushes up inappropriately close to TTL> So...controlled crying. Yes we have. At several points.

First time DS was around 6 months. I now feel hideous about it. He was clearly too little but...we did it to break a sleep habit. He used to fall asleep perfectly, either off the boob or self settling but would then wake after 40 mins, you could literally set your watch by him, and not settle for ages with hugs etc. IT worked for that.

We then did it again at 7-8 months after we night weaned. Worked very well, and very quickly (2nd night). DS still wasn't sleeping through but would only wake up once or twice and go back to sleep immediately.

At 10 months he slept through for about 6 weeks. Then a combination of teeth, colds etc f--ked it all up until, well last week really...

DS was waking up and driving us nuts with not going back to sleep, sounding upset but then laughing at us when we went in. After two weeks of shit sleep I told DH we had to man up - shut out door and his and left him to it, tied in to us being pretty sure teeth were over (he only has his final 4 molars left shock and that he wasn't poorly). We have to be a bit careful as DS has had some night terrors, but this are easy to tell. I would always go in to him once to work out if he is genuinely upset or if it is all a game.

Top tips....you and DH need to be on the same page. I was way tougher than DH. He'd have gone in in a heartbeat. I was like a woman possessed and practically pinned him down to stop him going in (sleep deprivation is not my friend).

It needs to wok for your LO and you need to be consistent. The second night we could tell it was working (i.e. he cried a whole lot less). It helps your resolve if you see it working, 'proves' you are doing it right etc.

On each occasion we have done it has taken 3 days, max. The most recent time it was one night.

We have a problem. DS throws things. Not in itself a problem (yet). But the arm action is as he does it at us is like hitting us - well, it is hitting us. Does it with his hands, books, remote controllers. He is 16 months which I think is too early to know right from wrong. I have been holding his shoulders, looking him in the eye and saying 'no!' but he wets himself laughing at me. It's infuriating (but I have to try so hard not to giggle). Today he pulled my hair (really hard - sounds so petty) and I smacked his hand sad. Hated myself. He cried. Doesn't help that at the moment he hates me and only wants DH. To the point where DH went to the supermarket today and DS stood crying at the door for 20 mins. Couldn't do anything with him (this was before the hair pulling)

So in short, well, long, I feel like the world's shittest mother whose son hates her sad

takethatlady Tue 01-Jan-13 12:52:35

val sorry for late reply - New Year took over my life.

Thanks for replying smile You are not the world's worst mother! I know I would find it really hard if DD was all about DH and not me - it's the other way round in our house, but that's totally random and doesn't mean anything - she loves DH like mad, it's just a behavioural thing I think and doesn't mean she loves him any less than me. I am sure you are doing an absolutely awesome job.

We are sticking with it. 23 hours and 45 minutes a day it's totally worth it - she is sleeping through without crying at all in the night, and much happier and more resilient in the day. It's just that 15 minutes I'm finding hard to deal with. Hopefully it will go back down again as we had a week or so of almost instant self-settling.

FeijoaVodkaAndCheezels Wed 02-Jan-13 18:32:39

Oh Val, DS doesn't hate you honest. I went through the same thing with mine when he was that age. We've also been through the phase where he loved who ever feed him last best and would go to that parent for EVERYTHING. He is much more balanced now thankfully grin. As for DD she is my cling on.

takethatlady Wed 02-Jan-13 23:12:04

I'm sorry I haven't admitted the CC thing on our FB group, feijoa. I feel a bit of a failure for doing it and I know there are people there who think it is pure cruelty sad It just started to be pure cruelty dropping her off at nursery after three hours sleep and knowing she was going to have an awful day ...

She took half an hour to go down tonight, too sad

FeijoaVodkaAndCheezels Thu 03-Jan-13 00:22:10

sad It's okay TTL. Apparently I did CC with DS, just never knew it was called that. He was a good sleeper though and we only ever did it when he had a break in routine (ill, teeth etc) and needed to get back into his normal routine. Some how I'm still bfing DD and co sleeping part time. F**k knows how I would cope if that didn't work! Esp as any for of sleep training isn't feasible for us because DC's share a room and it just wouldn't be fair on DS.

Although looking at the time I think somebody needs to sleep train me hmm. I was innocently reading a thread, got sucked in and it just went pooft angry Mostly angry that I've spent 2 hours reading not sleeping. And DD is sick with a vomiting bug, so I know when I get into bed(where she is sprawled across my side), with no duvet (as the laundrette was closed today and she's puked on our normal duvet AND our spare one) she is going to wake up and want milk. [sigh]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now