Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

December 2009 - We'll be having Terrific Twos, thank you very much!

(371 Posts)
LifeOfKate Wed 11-Jan-12 22:28:50

New year, new thread grin

Welcome all smile

Blatherskite Tue 31-Jan-12 12:19:44

Hope everything is OK Ethel.

I've just got back from Alex's 'Book picnic'. We were invited into the School to read with the children. Everyone had to take a picnic blanket, a snack, a drink and some books and we all sat in a room and read. I'd not been sure I would be able to go as MIL works on Tuesdays so couldn't have Catherine but she didn't start 'til 11 today so could thankfully babysit. Alex was in tears last night when I told him I probably wouldn't be there, proper big tears rolling down his cheeks! sad so was so excited when he saw I was there and ran up and gave me the biggest hug! I've had such a lovely morning. I love his School.

Now to work on his World Book Day outfit!

And as an added bonus, I was moaning about the fact that I have no winter boots and MIL offered to buy me some Uggs! Proper, real ones!! Do I want Uggs? I am a style and beauty failure, they may well be a no-no but they do look warm

Book picnic sounds lovely Blathers. I was bought some slipper boot things for christmas - just for inside, but oh my gosh I have no idea how I have lived without them for so long. I do want to wear them when I am just popping out and about and suddently felt the pull of some Uggs... I am thinking yes!!!

Had to go to the joint ante-natal/diabetic clinc today as until thursday's scan technically my pregnancy hasn't been written off (although we all know it is!). They were lovely though and are going to keep me on the insulin and are happy to support me with this as part of a pre-conception care which is good. It also means that my blood sugars hopefully will be carefully controlled right from the very, very start next time around (and there will be a next time around!). They also discussed my choices following the scan on Thursday, so feel a bit better knowing what will happen now as well, although got a bit teary again today. The more people I talk to, the more common I realise it is and everyone has been so supportive which has been lovely.

Ethelred - how are you doing today? I hope you are OK...

Ahh, Blathers, book picnic sounds lovely, I'm glad you could go. I'm not sure about Uggs, yes very warm and comfy but I don't know. DD wears them so I couldnt anyway otherwise I might be tempted. She has Bearpaw from TKMaxx as I refused to pay for Uggs but they are proper sheepskin and so warm, I can see the appeal. I think what I would like and have seen quite a lot on women in their 30s and 40s is nice snow boots, lace up and fur lined (and waterproof) but somehow smarter. I'll see if I can find a link.
However, your feet, your choice, if you like them nothing else matters!

Hercule I am glad you are getting support.

Ethelred, hope things are OK.

How about this, combines the two, do you think the budget would allow grin

Blatherskite Tue 31-Jan-12 21:40:20

A link to those boots would be great Lee. I think I've come to the conclusion that Uggs might be a little to 'casual' for a grown up and way too expensive too! Smarter options would be great.

Alex has the Book character dress u day on Friday so I've spent a lot of today making a teeny tiny pirate outfit for his dinosaur teddy so he can go as Captain Flinn. I know in years to come I'll probably hate the pressure but so far I'm loving it.

these are DDs, nicer in the flesh actually, cheaper and so warm!

Ok more realistically, if I had a spare £50 this is what I'd be going for.

Blatherskite Tue 31-Jan-12 21:49:16

I like both of those. Way more affordable than Uggs too! Thanks Lee

Always happy to help with browsing boots and shoes grin

Report back what you decide on!

Glad your enjoying the costume making, I like it in theory but always leave it too late . . .

Blatherskite Tue 31-Jan-12 21:59:43

I've had these suggested too which I like but they're almost £90.

I love that MIL offered but I'm going to really struggle to take her up on her offer. I feel too guilty.

£90 isn't expensive for winter boots, they do last! If she offered let her buy them, maybe she feels you deserve a treat? But there's still quite a lot around at sales prices if you want to go cheaper (or get two pairs grin).

Blatherskite Tue 31-Jan-12 22:10:03

Maybe, but I struggle to take them.

It feels all grabby.

No way we can afford any at the moment though so she is my only chance at having warm feet his winter. Last years cheapy boots went in the bin because they fell apart and I'm living in my trainers at the moment

Do it! She wouldn't have offered if she didn't want to I'm sure... And in her position I bet you would do the same.

<checks bank balance to see if she can afford some boots>

Blatherskite Tue 31-Jan-12 22:16:55

I have no idea how to say "these are the one's I'd like" without looking demanding though.

I think I'll wait and see if she brings it up again. If not, I'm a Northerner, I can take cold wink

You see, cheap boots are a false economy! It sounds like she knows you need them and wants to do this. You can wait to see if she offers but she may feel she has offered and is waiting for your response but doesn't want to push it. In which case you won't get any boots! Why don't you narrow down an online short list in a range of prices, say three pairs, and over coffee or something say something on the lines of:
'i really appreciate your offer of some winter boots, I had a browse and saw these (show websites) what do you think?' If her response is positive either order some or suggest a shopping trip together. If she isn't forthcoming then I guess you leave it there.

Do it! It's not grabby if you need them and can't afford it.

Oh you could also say something about, it was so kind of you to offer to get me Uggs but they're so expensive, what do you think of these.

Do it, do it, do it!

Lee I never realised your passion for boots!!!

Hi all

Am loving the boot chat!grin if u had loads of spare cash I would buy lots of lovely pairs of boots.blathers, I would defo try to steer your MIL in the direction of what you want.

Well, should be at work now Burbank in bed as, in addition to the cold/cough from hell, I was struck down with horrendous upset stomach this morning. Got up and showered, dried hair, was just about to get Anna and me dressed when had sudden urge to go to the loo and then had terrible stomach pains and broke out in a cold sweat for about 10 mins. Went white as a sheet too. So went back to bed and now feel relatively ok. Have no idea what that was all about. My body is a mess at the mo.

Looking forward to EPU scan tomorrow. Hopefully will tell us one way or another what's going on. Dont really feel pregnant, but didn't really with Anna either, so not sure what to think....

Scuse typos, bloody iPhone...

Oh Hercule I lurve boots and shoes, it's just so easy to find nice ones unlike clothes, as long as its your size they tend to fit and no matter what they are they never make you look fat. I could buy new ones every month but sadly I do have a budget. Never buy 'names' though, Choos etc.

Ethelred I do hope you are all ok soon, early scan sounds like it will be helpful.

I have promised myself that I will have one pair of proper designer shoes before I die. I never really but anything expensive to wear and mainly shop at lower end of the high street, but will treat myself one day! grin

Hello, been to hospital. Not good news am afraid. Had scan and took them ages to find anything, so had to have a vaginal scan and then when they found something it was measuring far too small for dates and no heartbeat. :-( not conclusive so have to go back in a week and have another scan but if no growth in that time then can safely assume I've miscarried.... Not hopeful at all to be honest. Xxx

Blatherskite Thu 02-Feb-12 11:59:40

Oh no sad

Oh Ethelred, I'm so sorry you have to go through this sad

Oh Ethelred I am so sorry, it's rubbish isn 't it. It sort of feels so surreal too and the waiting is horrid.

I went for my repeat scan today, still no heartbeat and still way too small. They are pretty certain it is miscarriage but because my body hasn't yet worked it out yet and it has grown very slightly (not unusual) I have to now go back in two weeks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now