Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

May 2011 - Let the food fight begin!

(823 Posts)
Loopymumsy Fri 09-Sep-11 21:34:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pistachio Fri 09-Sep-11 21:52:22

thanks loopy. Have i mentioned that GP's book is inspiring... grin. Apparently from a nutritional perspective we shouldn't be giving infants (ie under 2yo) vast amounts of grains, dairy or other 'fillers' as it reduces their appetite for BM. Ideally they should be weaned slowly onto mineral rich foods such as snails. OK i have paraphrased her arguments a touch wink. You sooooo have to buy it. Everyone should.

cowboy no idea as DD2 will only sleep if i am beside her. She snores through my alarm clock blaring beside her head then wakes as soon as i've crawled out the room hmm.

clarabella18 Fri 09-Sep-11 23:08:18

Marking a place grin thanks loopy.

Hmm sorry can't help cowboy. Have a similar problem for day time naps, won't entertain the cot at all but goes down fine on a night.
Were going to my parents for September weekend and he's now too big for the pram so will be sleeping in the travel cot, not sure how he'll get on with that, will just have to wait and see.

Had an interesting chat with some of the grans at the school gate today as had ds in the sling. They were saying they remembered their parents carrying their siblings wrapped in old shawls and bed sheets. They all commented how cosy and peaceful ds lookedgrin

Loopymumsy Sat 10-Sep-11 07:25:47

Thanks all for NOT ignoring me smile

I apologise as I am very hormonal at the mo, having suffered a 3rd miscarriage last month. It was only very early days but just brought everything back.

cowboy how about laying her in her crib with a piece of your worn clothing. It might be worth a try!!! What sort of routine do you have with her?

DS2 seems to be on the mend. Poor thing he really wasn't well. loopy yes definately think it was that 3rd injection given at 3rd set, as he has been ok with the previous 2 sets.

We went camping for 11 nights in Devon back in early August, must say it was ok even with all the bottles and sterilising equipment etc. Would have been better had it not rained most days.

DS2 started solids (baby rice) on Wednesday but didn't enjoy it (as I expected) I stopped again because he fell ill. Will give baby rice another 3 go's, but if he is anything like my other two, he will want the porridge instead.

Managed to buy from the Poundland shop we have in town some ice cube trays which have lids, which will be mega handy for homemade purees.

DS2 has a routine which he has created himself!!! I don't mind though as it suits us and fits in.

I am so pleased the DC's have gone back to school this week.

On a completely separate note, we managed to win ourselves a very modern black leather corner suite from eBay for a whopping £205 grin Its in fab condition too! This now means that everyone in the house has a seat on the sofa, yay!

xxx

Oooo! forgot to say loving the new room & title. DS2 fav toy is his lullaby lamb and a vibrating Lamaze tiger, oh! and plenty of mirrors so that he can check himself out!!!

Justtrying Sat 10-Sep-11 09:33:03

Love the new room, Dd's favourite toy is a little soft rabbit rattle, the ears get a good suck. She's just woken up so better go and change her nappy and get her ready to go shopping. Only food shopping nothing interesting I'm afraid.

cowboylover Sat 10-Sep-11 14:54:19

Sorry MummyW that must be really aweful for you but on a different note bargain on the sofa!

Thanks for the support re the crib sleeping last night I put her in and stayed and held her hand until she settled then slept through, wanted to reassure her it was ok so will see if there's an improvement.

Loving the rugby in the cowboy household, 3 games in a row this morning so super excited for the start for the welsh campaign tomorrow until it starts and we get stuffed!!

soandsosmum Sat 10-Sep-11 16:53:41

Oo nice new room. Lovely!
DD is also not sleeping except on me during the day. Fortunately she goes in her bed at night. I've not managed to get her down for a daytime nap for ages. Eventually I just give in. As I'd rather she slept on me than not at all. Does kinda limit my activities though.l sad saying that it feels Lush!

Whew started sleeping earlier in the evening wo I tried ky first dream feed last night AF 1030. Lasted an hour and wasn't very dreamy as she needed changing but will be more prepared and hopefully try again tonight. After going back down at 1130 she slept til 8 which was lovely. Esp on a sat AM. felt like a lie in!

Currenlt feeding and watching my birth vid for the first time. Doesn't get the actual birth as it was set up at home where I almost completed HB before going into hosp for last 5 mins due to slow contractions. Cool watching it. Hypnobirthing so quiet and calm. Makes me want to do it again to improve!

need a bit of advice, and please don't think I'm being smug, but am concerned about DD2 sleeping loads. Pattern seems to be: wakes up around 0700, has a feed. Sleeps until 11:00 or so. Feed. Sleeps/plays for an hour or so. Plays with DD1 and/or in bouncy chair for an hour or so. Feeds. Plays for about an another hour on baby gym. Feeds. Sleeps from about 19:00 - 07:00.

She is happy, smiles lots, gets really excited seeing me/DD1, loves playing with baby gym and hitting/kicking the bells.

Is this normal????

pistachio Sat 10-Sep-11 20:23:54

sounds like she's rolling all her day sleep into that long morning sleep- no such thing as normal really, is there. Mine has two patterns- either 2 30min naps and a big 3 hour one, or other days 4 or 5 20-30min powernaps but no long sleep. Her evening she either sleeps from 8pm on my knee or is awake playing til 11. Her natural wake up time (barring millions of feeds) is 8am.

<runs in, grabs coffee and props open eyelids>

Hello all, I am so sorry for not coming back with a proper catch up last week, ended up with loads of visitors all week including a massive MIL overdose so never got back on!

mummy so sorry to hear of your mc. Totally understandable for you to be feeling sensitive. I hope you are doing ok and have lots of support around you x

Apologies for not name checking everyone properly as I can never remember specifically who said what but here is my input in light of some recent convos!

weaning Big BLW fan here. Loved the fact that there was no pureeing involved and I never add salt to cooking anyway so it was easy for dd to eat what we were eating. As for timing DD decided for herself that she was ready for solids at 5.5mo when she grabbed a chunk of banana off dh and ate it! DS is really interested in us eating and hands to mouth all the time but we will hold off for as long as poss as we have family history of allergies which all started around weaning. Also being a lazy caaaa I like the fact you dont really have to sterilise anything after 6mo smile mind you caught DS sucking the rug in the living room the other day so I suspect his immune system will be pretty good already blush On that note, how on earth he got from the middle of his huge playmat to the inch or so of rug that was not covered I will never know!

sleeping no routine or pattern here either. DS still in with us at night but I have started trying to put him down around now by feeding him to sleep after bath. He'll go for around 40 mins or so before waking and then I usually head to bed too. Def in the middle of 4 month sleep regression/growth spurt here. I don't even bother looking at the time anymore when he wakes at night, just latch him on and nod back off as it's the only way I can get enough sleep to survive the day with DD! Going to attempt to get Hume to sleep a little in the cot soon though (it's in our room) to get him used to it before we turf him out into his own room at 6mo. Naps are usually in the buggy or lying on the bed with me when he looks tired. He did fall asleep on his playmat, lying on his tummy and sucking his fingers twice last week though.

sex none here since I was pg and unlikely to be until DS is out of our room and I'm getting some proper sleep first!

Had two short days in work this week which went ok, managed to express enough milk for DH to try DS with a bottle (thanks for thr advice on that by the way - ended up being successful using a hand pump while feeding from the other side). DS only drank 2oz each time then had a massive feed when I got home. Going to have an evening out this week with my Mum babysitting which should be interesting!

Right, need to hang up nappies then I am off to bed. How wild!

Bonkerz Mon 12-Sep-11 06:50:10

Phew am so glad I found you all.

It's been a long two weeks since I saw the dietician about max! He started on baby rice straight away (16 weeks) as advised and super fast weaning here is now having rice at 8am, fruit and 12 and veg at 4!! His reflux is virtually non existent and we have a happy boy who is sitting up, rolling over and moving around the room in a walker! Seems dietician was right and that rapid weaning would be good for ds!!!!! Im struggling to keep up with demand though. Have tried to make a stock of purees in freezer but keep forgetting to get them out in advance to defrost which usually means I end up making fresh each day which is a bit of a palava, can't just buy off shelf as ds intollenereces have made that difficult! Who knew that most baby food contains milk powder or curd/whey!! Nightmare!!

stegasaurus Mon 12-Sep-11 08:33:01

Eeeek, this evening I am planning to leave DD for the first time. If all goes well I will be going back to a voluntary job that I haven't done since the spring, which will mean leaving DD with DH from just after 7 til just after 9. I know DD will be fine with DH, but am worried as it is just the time when she usually feeds to sleep. I will try to move her bath etc forward a bit but don't expect she will be asleep in bed by 7. At the moment her bedtime seems to suit her and she often sleeps through, so I am wary of ruining this.

Re feeding: she is fascinated by watching us eat. I gave her a potato wedge to hold the other day jusr to see what she would do, but took it off before she ate any. Most people I know seem to have weaned early, but I am determined to wait until 6 months, partly for her benefit and partly because I am putting off the extra work and mess! Was looking at relevant books on Amazon, but don't know if I want Annabel Karmel or BLW and/ or something specific about how to feed her a healthy vegetarian diet

Took Sebastian swimming yesterday for the first time, he seemed to enjoy it but the water was unusually cold. He's seemingly grumpy today I think its his teeth that are bothering him. Still just the one tooth but he seems really keen on biting the hell out of my finger.

2nd part of the weaning class tomorrow, but know its more dental health etc in the second class.

Sleepwise, Sebastian used to get up once in the night but now its a few times, but he has a quick feed and quickly goes back to sleep. In the day, he tends to go to sleep around nine, and can sleep until 11. He'll have another quick sleep in the afternoon.

pinkgirlythoughts Mon 12-Sep-11 13:08:08

Sleep is still a major issue here, we had a few days where DS was managing a four-hour stretch from around 8.30-12.30, then every hour/every two hours from then on. However, we're now back to every hour/two hours at most all night again sad I don't think it helps that he seems to be in training for the Olympic cot-gymnastics team- I put him down on his side, feet to foot at the end of his cot, and he's never there when he wakes up! He's usually turned either 90 or 180 degrees, and is always on his back!

loopy, sore boobs over here too! I had a blocked duct last week, and DS managed to suck it out, but I've felt super-sore, as if my boob is bruised inside, ever since. Think I'd got a bit lazy with the latch as well, so now I'm having to be really careful that it's a good latch every time, to minimize the pain.

Re sex: we've done it a handful of times since DS was born, but it's always quite painful. Sheer bloody-mindedness means I refuse to stop half-way through, though! grin

mummywilliams, is your lullaby lamb a Ewan the Dream Sheep, by any chance? I'm absolutely desperate to get one for DS, but can't find one online anywhere- everywhere has sold out! There's one going on ebay, but the bidding is at £23 at the minute, and with p&p on top, I don't want to pay the same price for a 2nd hand one that I'd pay to get one brand new!

Loopymumsy Mon 12-Sep-11 13:54:37

clarabella18 Mon 12-Sep-11 15:34:45

Wow its windy here! Next doors trampoline keeps trying to make a bid for freedom!

Having a "quiet" day in today. Well it's quiets when ds is sleeping or feeding otherwise it's very noisy. Something I bothering him, pretty sure its his teeth. The problem is ds doesn't cry, he screams!!! A very loud very high pitched scream. It can get very wearing. Have given him an Aston and parsons powder, calgel and even aside of calpol but he's still not happy.

Hes got his second set of immunisations tomorrow so hope he's feeling netter by then or it's going to brine hell of a week!

Right better get a wriggle on and pick ds2 up from tennis club. Hope they played indoors as they'd have no chance of hitting the balls in this weather!

pistachio Mon 12-Sep-11 15:42:17

loopy bed with me or sling, she won't sleep in buggy either. Even if sound asleep when i put her down within minutes she's flapping and wide awake. I've just ordered some organics for kids babygros, 6-12 is roomy but not too long. More for daytime though as they're lovely, she's in white 6-9 from M+S at night. Legs a bit long in them.

clarabella i'm not loving the wind today. DD2 was fine= babyhawk and polartec all-in-one suit meant she was well sheltered.

pistachio Mon 12-Sep-11 15:44:12

oh and as for future cot plans, i think we'll start trying to put her down in the evening once she gets to 6mo unless she creates a routine herself before then. That's when DS settled a bit so hoping she'll be similar.

loopy know what you mean about baby gros! She's wearing a 3 - 6 green baby at the moment, which is supposed to be for cloth bums, but the days are numbered.

pistachio where did you get your Polartec?

pink no it's just a vtech lullaby lamb, he loves the lights and the lullabies and adores the lambs face. Good luck in your search, it's amazing the prices people pay for 2nd hand stuff on eBay!!!

thanks all for hugs and understanding. It was only about 6 weeks, a complete shock but loved nonetheless. I am emotional mush at the mo!

Sympathy for those with sore boobies and bits. CS scar has been ok and I am nearly 20 weeks post op, but last few days it has been aching. It maybe to do with carrying DS2 around.

Bonkerz sounds like Max is doing great with the weaning. How about setting an alarm to remind you or taking one out once you have given one if that makes sense.

running lol at DS sucking the rug!

DS2 goes in his cot at 8pm, settles himself. We then wake him for a feed at 11pm'ish (this is when we go to bed). He usually sleeps til 6.30/7am, but sometimes wakes for a feed at 4am. As for naps these tend to be in his bouncy chair, a small one after morning feed then a larger one (about half an hour - hour) mid morning and two further small naps in the afternoon. I don't bath him everyday, too many DCs. We don't do 'quiet' around DS2 either - that would be impossible.

Gotta go be back later to tell you about paediatric appointment today. X

Just having a quick read - have found next babygros good with cloth bums, seem to be cut quite big but legs not too long.

Big waves to all, hope everyone is ok in this wind!

Clara - teething monster here too sad hope it's over soon

bonkerz - sounds like max us doing great must be a good feeling after all the drama you went through finding out about his allergies.

Steg - hope your tine away goes ok tonight. Ikwym about going out in the evening but even if it gies a bit pear-shaped you'll be back by 9. Not that it will of course!!

Had a nightmare night last night was pretty much up all night and when ds did eventually sleep I couldn't switch off sad

pistachio Mon 12-Sep-11 19:15:24

ilovemydog this

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now