Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

March 2008 - Three is the magic number...

(78 Posts)
GastonTheLadybird Tue 22-Feb-11 20:41:43

New thread, just for JFly!

JFly Tue 22-Feb-11 20:49:31

You are too kind, milady. I pinkie swear to visit this thread regularly.

JFly Tue 22-Feb-11 20:49:31

You are too kind, milady. I pinkie swear to visit this thread regularly.

GastonTheLadybird Tue 22-Feb-11 20:54:10

Hooray!

JFly Tue 22-Feb-11 20:54:24

The post so nice I posted it twice.

cryhavoc Tue 22-Feb-11 22:46:15

Marking my place. Well done, Gaston.
In the interest of thread news, took Ff swimming to local 'wave' fun pool today. She got upset at lack of swimming space, practiced her tumble turns, and stood letting the waves crash over her head. I am raising a fish.

turtle23 Wed 23-Feb-11 07:50:59

Bookmarking. Torn between very happy and hating P. Is that just horrible or what...
He wont eat, sleep is a problem again...that combined with T having ear infection with rupturd eardrum is a f&^%ing picninc atm...

megonthemoon Wed 23-Feb-11 08:32:27

bookmarking here too. JFly how goes the potty? Somebody once told me that a child would give you grief with one of the holy trinity: sleeping, eating and potty training. Guess which one I'm suffering with? He is physically more than capable (dry every morning, when I can prise nappy off, and I can keep him dry all day by just cajoling him to the toilet every 3 hours) but he is bloody-minded and doesn't see any benefits (let's face it, what are the benefits of stopping an interesting game just to go to the toilet?) so takes zero responsibility himself and is completely and utterly immune to bribery and has now decided he 'likes' doing poos in pants as doing it in the toilet is 'stinky'. Sigh.

So turtle yes, am having a love-hate thing going on at the moment as well!

DD grabbed korma off DS's plate the other day and sucked the life out of a fennel stick last week so we decided to start some gentle BLW yesterday to see if she's ready for food. Loved the taste of sweet potato, cried at parsnip and content enough with banana. But I think all taste and not much swallowing at the moment. She's only 5 months on friday, so early to be doing anything herself anyway so we'll continue tossing bits at her like the cute little puppy she is and see what happens.

JFly Wed 23-Feb-11 12:48:03

Well, yesterday (first day) was pretty good: 5 accidents all before noon. Rest of the day straight to the potty. Today so far 3 accidents, one being a big puddle with no warning, which we didn't have yesterday. So, guess it comes and goes. We're doing this 3-day method. No going out at all, in order to crack it in one go. Bit of a bootcamp but only way to do it at this stage. I can't be hanging around for weeks and weeks hoping it sticks. No going back, we're committed! Saying that, it all depends on G "getting" it.
H is 12 weeks now! Can't believe it. I guess I'll have to stop counting in weeks soon.
Back to wee spotting!

cryhavoc Wed 23-Feb-11 18:07:10

That makes me feel better - the one nightmare out of three theory. I suppose I had it so easy with Ff something was bound to come along that she Just. Doesn't. Get.

I have tried bribery, which she enjoys. I have tried cold turkey and just leaving her in wet knickers if she doesn't complain. I have sat her bare bummed on the potty infront of Cbeebies. Nothing has worked. She doesn't care about being wet, jumps in puddles she makes, and is usually so involved in some made up game with Prppa Pig characters that she doesn't notice me offering her bribery anyway.

I am not letting it bother me though - she is (mostly) lovely, and great fun, so I can't complain.

We got her a V-tech camera for her birthday, some new swimming kit, and she got mostly books, clothes, and a big Peppa aqua doodle ('my actual doodle') from other people.

Marking my place ladies.

Belated happy birthday to Ff for yesterday.

ilovegreenbeans Wed 23-Feb-11 20:53:10

Hello again- marking my place too.

H has a Vtech camera and loves it, especially the games on it (Not that she can play them, but she likes the music and watching the basic graphics move along...)

Potty training here was ok initially, like she got it in a few days, but it's definitely been months and months of me taking her to the toilet every couple of hours and only very very recently that she will tell me she needs to go. Sometimes. Remember, just like teenagers sleep through the night, they also go to the bathroom all by themselves! Not long to go at this rate
Laundry calls, better go!

megonthemoon Thu 24-Feb-11 16:22:32

Oooh, just heard a friend is expecting twins. How terrifying exciting!

DS is off to grandparents tomorrow for 3 whole nights (while we get the house back to normal after all the building/decorating). he is so excited about his big boy trip - been asking 'can i go to grandpa and nana's today?' every morning as soon as he wakes up I wonder if I loved my grandparents quite as completely when I was almost 3? DD will be bereft, but we're looking forward to some two-on-one time with her!

cryhavoc Mon 28-Feb-11 15:51:00

How did his trip go, Meg? Ff goes to Grandma's for the weekend every few months and everyone has a smashing time. She gets spoiled, Grandma gets to spoil her, and we get three days of lying in, drinking in the afternoon and watching channels other than CBeebies and Nick Jnr.

We are potty training. Again. That is all.

GastonTheLadybird Mon 28-Feb-11 17:27:50

DD is also besotted with her Nana, think she would live there given the choice!

Twins just seems insane. I met a woman recently who had triplet boys in the same month as us. I can't even begin to imagine.

turtle23 Tue 01-Mar-11 06:43:40

OK, so what would you do....

P is absolutely capable of peeing in the potty. Can do so whenever and hold it til he gets there. BUT....he hasn't (tmi) had a solidish poo for about a hundred years and seems totally unaware that he is doing it and wont even admit- nevermind tell -you that he has.

I am very aware that he is nearly three and really should be doing this...but how the F$£& do you deal with potty training with what has been diagnosed as toddler diarrhea? I just cantbear it. T managed to escape at bathtime yesterday and pooed ion the floor then ran through it, skidded and fell in it. Yes, he was covered. I can't stand the thought of dealing with that much messy poo. Help.

ilovegreenbeans Tue 01-Mar-11 07:16:34

Turtle, how about Pull-Ups to catch the poo and treat them like normal pants for pees? Sounds like the pooing is just beyond his control, poor lamb.

My good friend's son had toddler diarrhea and the three things she found that helped were daily Actimel/probiotics, majorly limit fruit intake, and switching to bottled water instead of tap.

Oh, the poo... A is a great pooer, does numerous a day, always fills her nappy, frequently beyond, and likes to grab at her bits whist being changed... grrr....

megonthemoon Tue 01-Mar-11 08:32:50

Turtle - we have the exact same issue with L, who hasn't had a solid poo in about 8 months. He is off to the hospital in 2 weeks to be checked for coeliac (family history) and other things but I think we will come back with a diagnosis of toddler diarrhea as it is way worse when he has been eating fruit. I have limited fruit at home and the poos are much better than at nursery where they have free access to fruit. He got the idea of poos in the potty really quickly but couldn't often achieve them due to them coming quite suddenly and forcefully. He then seemed to retreat from it entirely - does them in pants and doesn't tell us. We tried ignoring, we tried not ignoring it and nothing worked. What has finally worked is
1) when we know he has done a poo, asking and if he says no (100% of the time!) saying 'ok, well if you do one in your pants, let me know so i can clean it up as we don't want you to get a sore bottom' Invariably a few mins later he sidles sheepishly up to me and asks for new pants.
2) Emphasising the benefits. DS somehow managed to do a poo on the potty last week. He couldn't believe it when he was pants up and clean within about 30 seconds - he pulled his pants down to check there wasn't poo everywhere and wanted me to make sure I had cleaned his bottom! So I explained that if he does it on the potty it is less messy and quicker so he can get back to playing sooner.
3) Find your bribe - choc buttons were 'whatever' for L but he loves smarties because he has the excitement of picking which colour to eat.
4) Upping bribes for poos considerably for a short while until he gets it. During the worst phase of it, I bought a very cheap pack of 10 cars at Tesco and said 'every time you do a poo on the potty' you can have a car. As he only does 1 or at most 2 poos a day, this wasn't tooooo extravagant. That worked about 50% of the time which was an improvement. Somehow I managed to get him down to two stickers and two choc smarties from that (one each for a wee)
5) Time. It has taken 3 months for L to realise he needs to dash to the potty to catch it and it is only in the last week that he has got it - before that we were just resigned to a poo in the pants each day, some messier than others. Yesterday he even managed to get to the potty in time to do the runniest poo I have ever seen in my life!

Top tips from me for you
1) Buy lots of cheap pants (I love Peacocks!) and just chuck out the worst ones rather than attempting to clean them.
2) Dress P in soft tracksuit type bottoms rather than jeans - they catch the poo better as it seeps down their legs so you don't have to worry about floors and carpets so much!
3) Try really hard to keep your cool. When I started to lose the plot, L went backwards. It took a lot of effort on my part to remain neutral about accidents but has paid dividends
4) Valium

Good luck x

turtle23 Wed 02-Mar-11 08:55:47

meg- you know what is really awful? I have been waiting to give up breastfeeding so that on my day off I can take a valium. It is the only way I see being able to cope with potty training.

megonthemoon Wed 02-Mar-11 11:11:12

Sadly, turtle, with a 5 month old it will be a while before I can join you, and by then I'm really really hoping he's got it...

megonthemoon Wed 02-Mar-11 11:18:55

In other news here (sorry for very very TMI post to turtle!):

- DS loved being at gps and came back much better on the potty training (we knew he'd either regress or be so keen to show them how good he is that he'd finally get it properly and fortunately it appears to be the latter)
- Me, DS and DD are now all ill though, each of us with something different - DS with bad tummy, DD with a bad cough and me with a bad cold. Sigh.
- DD has suddenly got the appeal of food and is finger feeding like crazy. Refuses to take spoon from me so it will have to be BLW which makes life easier at least.
- Good friends of ours were on pre-baby holiday last week. Instead of coming back to the miserable weather they are now in hospital abroad having had their baby at 29 weeks He's doing really well (big weight for gestation and breathing on his own) but will be at least a month before they can come home

cryhavoc - how do you get your daughter to swim at all, let alone 25m ? My DS loves the pool but only if he can stand up in it and stomp around. Gets very annoyed if we even suggest swimming!

megonthemoon Wed 02-Mar-11 11:19:56

That was not meant to be a grin re 29 weeker it was meant to be a shock Oops.

Dontpanic Wed 02-Mar-11 23:43:10

I envy your potty training successes. The grandparents are in charge of this for their grandson due to mum & dad opting out by working wink

Apparently he did a wee today, but is also in the "no" brigade when you ask if he's shat his pants. He'd quite happily run round with it squished over him in a nappy than spend a couple of minutes being wrestled to the ground to get cleaned up.
Granny is doing her best with a book about big boys and their special pants, he prefers the billy goats gruff though.

Birthday coming up in 2 weeks, will be getting him a balance bike if i can get round to actually finding the one I like best. And to jointly celebrate with daddy's birthday 2 days before that (luckily on the weekend) we're trekking up to London for the Doctor Who exhibition.

turtle23 Fri 04-Mar-11 06:13:25

OK so am tackling the potty training Saturday when he comes back from his dad's house. Ugh.

In other news I am being tortured by teething T, considering giving up the boob. Sad as it now looks like this is it for me.

That means that things are not working out so well with new man. I am in the unfortuate position of having him here for almost another 3 weeks and feeling that I dont want him to come back. Can't decide whether to just tell him now and have him change his flight or just ride it out. Did I mention it will be his birthday before he leaves I feel awful as he is lovely, loves me, loves kids, does housework and accepts that he should help...but he is driving me insane and I dont really fancy him. If I feel like this after3 weeks....

turtle23 Sun 06-Mar-11 13:37:50

Potty training 24 hours on....2 wee accidents and 18 wees in potty. Poo only in a nappy. Sigh.

Have had 2.5 hours sleep for last three nights. Sob.

GastonTheLadybird Sun 06-Mar-11 19:14:56

Oh shit turtle, am so sorry things not working out with new man - have you decided what to do? I think in your shoes I would probably just wait it out and tell him when he got home as I am a coward.

Why so little sleep? Well done with P on potty training, only two accidents is fab and as you know poo is a lot harder to 'get' - took T an age!

Swimming 25m is uber impressive, well done little Ff!

Hope your friends 29 weeker is ok Meg, that must be so scary for them.

turtle23 Tue 08-Mar-11 17:00:36

Gaston- sleep is T related mostly. Ear infections and teething. Add P piping up now and then with "I'm not tired" or "there is something in my bed...oh it's just my foot...silly me" at 3am....
Things with S looking slightly better but am still not convinced....

cryhavoc Thu 10-Mar-11 15:59:16

I think we're actually there with the potty training. She seems to get it now, and is fairly reliable (although I am doing a lot of 'prodding' - do you need a wee? Can you sit on your potty?).

meg I can't take any credit for the swimming. She's part-fish, I think, and seems happier under the water than above it. (We only go in the little pool after she's done some swimming though - she spends most of the trip entirely out of her depth, so she can't put her feet down and stomp about!)

turtle23 Fri 11-Mar-11 09:35:45

Am impressed. No further accidents and all poos in potty. I decided to wait to potty train til the streaming neverending cold ended...it did...so did the poo probs. Hmm...

tortilla Fri 11-Mar-11 14:09:38

turtle (meg here but with new name) - i have heard that toddler diarrhea can be greatly improved when they learn to do it on the potty/toilet. well done p!

We're almost there. Only one wee accident in nearly 2 weeks here, and poo on potty about 50% of time both of which are a huge improvement on a few weeks ago.

Nap has pretty much gone here finally I know we have been unbelievably lucky to have it last for 3 years, but oh my goodness I am weeping over it. DS is now knackered by about 5pm so the evenings are a bit crap but I'm hoping that because he is so old to be dropping it that he soon builds up the stamina to manage without a nap all day.

littleducks Fri 11-Mar-11 18:33:03

Wow! TherE is a new thread?

Happy Birthday to all the march babies

I am trying to dray myself through the end of my course now (am doing SALT in central london) only one taught week left for this year shock then the big bad scary exams

It has been a killer though, i had chicken pox for the last three weeks but am all over it now, i figure i caught it due to tiredness as tested immune in Nov

It will be a nice long break though
DD is settled at big school now and ds loves nursery, but unlike you lot he is one day after the cut off date so we dont get 15hrs funded till Sept....that will really help with the childcare bill

turtle23 Sun 13-Mar-11 05:36:34

Day trip to France yesterday which I was dreading due to potty training only being 6 days in... No accidents. Poos on loo, the lot. Sniffle. He's done it. He's big now, isn't he.

cryhavoc Sun 13-Mar-11 11:34:09

Yep, they are all big now. Ff frequently reminds me 'I am a big girl!' if ever I look like forgetting.

Well done, P.

GastonTheLadybird Mon 21-Mar-11 20:52:47

T threw a massive strop last week when someone in the park called her little, "I am NOT little, I am three!" accompanied by eye roll.

They are def not babies anymore. Sob.

tortilla Mon 21-Mar-11 21:26:26

I have a stroppy pre-threen here. Heaven help us next Thursday when he actually does turn 3. At the moment, when I tell him off I get "No no no Mum do NOT talk to me like that. That is a horrible thing to say" hmm Particularly saddening is that I am no longer 'mummy', just 'mum'

GastonTheLadybird Mon 21-Mar-11 22:31:21

Aw, it's the same here, literally an overnight transition from delight to demon. She had three time outs before 10am today and kept shouting I don't careeeee, you're not being fair mummy at me. It's a little bit cute still but won't be if it lasts much beyond today.

Sad that you're now Mum, whenever T has tried it I say I am not Mum I am Mummy and won't answer until she says Mummy grin

cryhavoc Tue 22-Mar-11 12:45:53

Ff has tried 'Mum'. I ignore her until she uses 'Mummy'.
We've been testing out some new activities - toddler splash was a giant waste of time, but gymnastics today was great. Does anyone do anything that their child really likes?

tortilla Tue 22-Mar-11 13:59:06

Toddler cooking class! He loves it. But then we also do cooking at home a lot so it is familiar rather than scary, yet different at the same time. And they have free tea and biscuits for me while we wait so I love it too

Everything else we've tried has been a bit take it or leave it. Hoping to start gymnastics soon.

Dontpanic Tue 22-Mar-11 23:05:11

sulks at lack of toddler activities on weekends for working parents to take 'em to

Going to the park is favourite with us though. And going "round and round" in a circle in granny & grandpa's living room,wearing out the carpet. Cheap. We go swimming every so often but I'm too chicken to take him to a public pool, so we've just done the one at the gym which isn't the most child friendly. Just quieter on the ears.

turtle23 Sat 26-Mar-11 15:09:34

P's birthday tomorrow. Am searching for ways to avoid him actually having to turn 3.

My soap opera life continues on in Shitsville. Sean went home on Wednesday...after I'd forgiven him. Seems he never made it home though. He was arrested at the airport for an old warrant for not going to one of 11 court dates thanks to his ex wife. WTF? He now is serving 29 days for it. I really cannot believe it.

cryhavoc Sat 26-Mar-11 16:35:18

Cooking sounds like a good idea, I'll have a look around, thanks. Was hoping to find something active too - So. Much. Bloody. Energy.

Turtle that's ridiculous? Was he even aware there was an issue? How at things with the two of you - is there a plan?

And don't be sad about him being 3. Three's great. Are you having a party?

Am hugely enjoying it, am loving watching Ff get more and more independent. She is noticeably more, um, opinionated but funny rather than obnoxious. And, best of all, she'll play on her own for aaaaaaages now. She sometimes seems irritated if I try to join in.

cryhavoc Sat 26-Mar-11 21:07:26

dp Ff is at the ILs' this weekend and they took her to Castell Coch today. She absolutely loved it apparently. That might be an idea for you to do one weekend.
MIL said Ff asked the guide if Princess Poppy was at home (current favourite story is the Frog Prince, so all castles are home to Princess Poppy). Without missing a beat the guide told get, 'Sorry, she's going to a ball next week so she's gone to Cardiff to buy some new shoes'.

cryhavoc Sat 26-Mar-11 21:10:08

Told her

Dontpanic Sun 27-Mar-11 17:14:43

ooh, good idea re Castell Coch, still haven't managed to get there ourselves. Caldicot's a pretty decent castle as well (says the unbiased party who got married there) but maybe a bit far for your in laws?

E seems to have sprouted even more monkey genes in the last couple of weeks. He now shows no fear with climbing ropes on his local slide...I attempted to help him bridge the gap at one stage and was quite firmly told "no mummy, want to do it myself". I love this age. I could do without having a book slapped in my face first thing in the morning, but shows he has a healthy interest in stories

littleducks Wed 30-Mar-11 19:49:15

Never heard of Castell Coch, will google it and then add to TTD list.

turtle whats happening with new man/jail term drama? any news?

DS is turning 3 on fri and seems to have decided that now is the time to start the toddler tantrums. DD has nearly been late to school the last two mornings as he has kicked off big style, yesterday he didnt want to wear his nursery uniform jumper, today it was because I gave him the light blue cup and dd the dark blue cup.

I actually dropped dd off at school with him in the buggy in his pjamas with no shoes on and a blanket as I couldnt make him co-operate in any way.

AAAARGH!

I'm off to try and make a dragon birthday cake, so wish me luck!

tortilla Fri 01-Apr-11 11:59:17

DS was 3 yesterday. I can't call him a toddler any more, can I? He prefers 'big boy' , as in last night's conversation: 'I'm a big boy now so I can't wear nappies for bed'. He then made me put pants on his bear (who has worn a nappy for years!) as he is a 'big bear now'. And was dry all night (DS - I haven't checked bear yet ) After the mental fight that was daytime potty training (physically could do it, but would decide on any given day whether he could be bothered or not, for 2 whole months, and has only been reliable the last month), I'm so pleased that he just seems to have decided to do nighttime training himself too now. Unless this is also a 'some nights I can be bothered, other nights I'll wet the bed' sort of decision... We'll see.

Happy birthday littleducks' DS. Hope the cake came out ok! I had to make a blue mini here which took too many hours, but he liked it so I was happy.

turtle23 Sat 02-Apr-11 17:51:59

I am a horrible evil bitch. My sister (who doesn't speak to me) just announced she's pregnant. My parents are always horrible about her as she really is a nasty piece of work. Sudden;y the sun shines out of her &^%$ and I am horrible for not being happy for her. She refused to acknowledge the birth of either of my tweo, ignored them the first time she saw them at my other sister's wedding and only last xmas (am guessing because they started trying then) feigned interest on the day when they came up. I am livid. She and my mum expect me to be happy for her. I'm not. I couldn't care less. I know I should be a bigger person and give my kids an opportunity to get to know their cousin but she has been so hateful. I'm awful.. Yes, I am jealous as well, but that isn't most of it.

turtle23 Fri 08-Apr-11 07:08:13

Please ignore that post and continue to talk.

tortilla Fri 08-Apr-11 08:14:56

You killed the thread, turtle wink

turtle23 Sat 09-Apr-11 19:14:36

Fab. Been waiting three years to do that.

turtle23 Wed 13-Apr-11 07:42:01

Withdrawing from thread. Carry on.

tortilla Thu 14-Apr-11 15:06:45

Hope everyone is well. I finally had a cuddle with my friends' prem baby today - flown home a couple of weeks ago and just been discharged from hospital still 4 weeks from his due date! Doing really well - passed all sight and hearing checks so far and now about 5 1/2lbs so almost at an acceptable full term weight. Still less than a third of DD's weight so crazy to imagine them heading off to school together in a few years time!

In other news, I must be the only person happy to be made redundant at the moment! Big reorg at work, lots of redundancies. They offered me a 4 day a week role but I turned it down as it would be a promotion and require me to be in the office all the time and the commute is just too long now. So rather than returning to work in September, I'll be getting a redundancy cheque and the gift of time to decide what I want to do next. I feel very fortunate that it's come at the right time for us rather than the completely wrong time like it has for many of my colleagues

DS has gone from being a nightmare to potty train to being completely dry. Turning 3 was clearly a big deal for him - no accidents day or night since his birthday And I have my happy little boy back - he hated the process as much as we did, clearly.

cryhavoc Tue 19-Apr-11 20:32:26

That's all really good news, tortilla. Have you any thoughts on what you're going to do? How is the studying going.

wave at everyone else. Are all the children 3 now? They must be, yes?

I'm not here though. You haven't seen me. I am buried under a pile of law books, revising for the exams thoughtfully timetabled for tomorrow and Thursday. Not posting on Mumsnet at all.

4madboys Tue 19-Apr-11 20:47:47

WOW you guys still have a thread, i seem to have managed to loose track of you all!

am very impressed at all the potty training!!

ds4 was three on the 15th march and tho he is totally aware of when he needs to wee and poo he REFUSES point blank to use a potty or the toilet, he will hold it in until i put a nappy on him, little swine, i am leaving it till the summer when i dont have school runs etc to worry about and then i will just have him naked int he garden and he WILL learn to doit........

i also have a dd, now, who is 19wks and a little poppet, the boys dote on her so that is all good, tho it ishard work having 5! that is me definitel done now.

lovely to see you all still chatting and see how you are all getting on, hope that things sort themselves out with your new partner turtle? i think have the right person blush and i can understand your anger at your sister.

i shall now add this thread to my watch list so i dont lose it and try adn keep up to date with how you are all doing! xxx

Dontpanic Sat 23-Apr-11 15:10:13

Just had to scroll down for ages to work out who you were Tortilla, phew, I remember now! Great that you're happy about redundancy opportunity, I could do with one of those myself to give me the kick to go full time in hypno
4MB, congratulations! Notice much difference in baby operating instructions with a girl?
Turtle, not evil, just natural reactions. Are we due an update from the other side of the pond soon?
Loving having a few days off this weekend, we'll be away next weekend with 5 kids in total so it won't be relaxing...friend has promised that 2 of her 4 are up for potty training E, I think he just needs to see that using a potty is something the cool kids do.
Hope the exam takers are chilled out (if you can in this weather)

GastonTheLadybird Mon 30-May-11 21:09:53

<waves>

How is everyone?

I am back working four days and in a constant state of being utterly knackered! Hope it's just going to take some getting used to.

How would anyone feel about a summer meet up? London?

cryhavoc Wed 01-Jun-11 10:07:03

Hello.

Are you enjoying your new job? Last push to finish my course now - this time next month I should have a law degree. Just have to get through the next two weeks.

London in the summer sounds fab. Let's do it.

GastonTheLadybird Wed 01-Jun-11 19:59:44

I am really loving it! Just don't seem to have enough hours in the day, finished off my final uni assignment for the year last night though which is good. Dreading going back in Oct and having to juggle everything all at once.

Can't believe your almost finished, you must be thrilled. Pop in and let us (me, as it stands) know your grades?

I'm going to try and keep this bumped to try and drag all the absent members back in!

Meet up:
I'm away first two weeks of Aug but fairly free otherwise, have Wednesdays off, could do weekend. I'm easy!

tortilla Mon 06-Jun-11 09:44:36

Nearly done, cryhavoc! Hope the exams aren't too horrific. My next OU maths course (just signed up after really enjoying this year's) is half coursework, half exam which is scary because I won't be able to be quite as blase this time round - I did nothing for weeks then crammed for the week before each assignment was due, but for an exam I'm going to need to really know my stuff. Eeek!

Not sure about jobs yet. Talking to a recruitment consultant tomorrow but only very preliminary as still employed until October and then will probably take the rest of the year off anyway. No idea what I want to do, that's the big problem.

I'm trying to wean DS off CBeebies here. It's been a slippery slope since DD was born and he now watches maybe 2.5-3 hours a day spread over 3 sessions which seems a bit too much blush. So trying to restrict it to watching a specific programme or a specific episode on a DVD and no more than an hour a day. I'm having to be very inventive with other activities, and surprising myself at what we come up with (this morning we have made a hot air balloon with a cereal bowl, balloon and lots of string and his toy people have toured the kitchen!) It's exhausting, this proper parenting lark, isn't it? grin

DD is 8 months and about to crawl any moment now (she can get into crawling position and stay there for ages, but just hasn't worked out to move her hands and knees yet!) This is where the fun really begins again, isn't it?

Dontpanic Sun 12-Jun-11 13:03:36

Oh good, I haven't missed too much since I was last in here! Is it just old age that means I can't remember everyone's nicknames now that you have real names on fbook and twitter names too? Brain can only handle so many variations smile
So, reading my last post, I got my wish about a month later, now full time on the hypno work. Hopefully links with local spas/salons will be a good source of new clients until I figure out this whole marketing lark. Very pleased with the results a friend got when I helped her prep for being in court last week over bullying from former employer. May look into doing some more of that since it ruins a lot of adult lives, let alone kids.
My mum's coming over to stay in a few hours...house still looks like a bomb's hit it. Don't really care! Am being nicely distracted by BBC version of Much Ado About Nothing with Cheri Lunghi & Robert Lindsey. Love it.
Glad exam season is mostly over for those of you doing them, I'll do my best to get to a meet up if I'm not working!

GastonTheLadybird Mon 11-Jul-11 22:17:22

How have we gone a WHOLE month without any posts? Poor effort ladies. Updates please... How is everyone?

cryhavoc Wed 20-Jul-11 19:10:29

I know, we're dreadful. I was coming to post anyway as I saw a Due March 2012 thread and it occurred to me that it's FOUR YEARS since we all found out we were pregnant. How scary is that?

Nothing much to report here. I passed my course, am still freelancing. Ff mostly lovely with moments of sheer lunacy. Preschool have told me that she 'likes to go her own way' which is pretty much what I have observed - she's entirely unconcerned with what others are doing, and has her own (very definite) plan about what she's doing. Her best friend, who turns 4 next month, is off to school in September, and it'll be interesting to see if she gravitates more to play with girls. At the moment she is definitely one of the boys.

How are the rest of you? Dontpanic - is E off to school in Sept?

Dontpanic Thu 04-Aug-11 01:03:47

oops, I've been straying off into twitter & fb for too long. Last time I checked I'd killed the thread ;)

E is going to full time nursery in Sept, all being well now I'm fully self employed and not getting the mega salary I'd previously budgeted with...well, for now anyway ;) It's attached to an indie school though, so he has to wear uniform - just joggers/polo & sweat-shirts at that age so not too expensive yet.

I'm enjoying full time self employment, inundated with weight-reduction clients & very few others so going on a relaunch when I get back from holiday to expand my offerings to the non preggers crowd.

Oh, E is mostly potty trained. We have bitten off more than we can chew with our incentive system, as he gets Doctor Who trading cards as a reward. Now, of course, we're only missing about 9 out of 165, but he wants us to buy packs with the missing ones in. And sulks if he gets duplicates or if we try to downsize him from 2 cards to 1. Going to attempt a move towards cards only for using the toilet instead of the potty. DH won't man up though & show E how to do things properly...I'm certainly not going to get a shewee to demonstrate.

Going to Menorca next month for 2 weeks - going to be interesting. 1st proper family "holiday" so sorting out all the must haves & what we can wing it without. Still can't get E to sleep without taking milk from a sodding bottle, but don't want to make too many changes at once, so that's one for another month!

tortilla Wed 17-Aug-11 11:08:53

Hi all, long time no see smile

Things going well here. Just back from a long weekend in bloody glorious north Norfolk. Very cheeky mini break to celebrate DH's birthday as we are off on proper holiday of a week in France in 3 weeks time. Just ploughing through the laundry now.

Not yet sure what I want to do with my life, but tomorrow I start the career counselling my work gives as part of the redundancy package so hoping to start getting some ideas soon. Will probably take the autumn off and not plan to go back until after Christmas, and may try freelancing rather than full time to fit in with school holidays etc.

Umming and aahing about whether to send DS to preschool on the 2 days he's not at nursery so he can be with children he'll be at school with (his nursery is very small and mix of ages so only 2 others his school year) Anyone got any thoughts on how DCs manage a) 2 different types of childcare and b) being in childcare on 5 days (albeit not full time hours)? I have a thread about it in preschool education too if anyone has any specific thoughts or experience.

DS is being very amusing at the moment, and changing lots. I bought a book called My Body for him from a series of factual books he likes but realised this one was a bit too advanced for him. I put it at the back of a cupboard but he then found it and now insists we read it to him every night. It has taken him about a month to get his head round some of the ideas in there (and we paraphrase big time!) but now we get woken at 7.30 not by 'I'm hungry' but by "I need to empty my bladder" or 'My lungs are blowing up like a balloon" smile He's also just discovered how to co-ordinate his body so he has suddenly worked out how to use his scooter and how to kick a football, and he has just 'got' drawing too - so pictures now have grass at the bottom and sky at the top and bodily parts in broadly the right place rather than being completely abstract. So many changes in recent months - it's scary!

DD is 1 in 6 weeks time. No idea where that time went!

turtle23 Sat 27-Aug-11 17:48:26

5 days and we apply for real school? Are you f*&^ing kidding me?

tortilla Tue 30-Aug-11 09:57:22

Fortunately we don't have to fill that form in in Sussex until October, turtle! My baby can be a baby for a teeny while longer smile

Dontpanic Sat 29-Oct-11 23:41:03

So ladies, what's happening out there in Real Life? Anyone reading this thread any more?

Passing the biscuit round...

Gleek Sat 14-Jan-12 22:58:33

Day before school applications deadline here in Surrey, I have remarkably done mine with plenty of notice but it made me think of you all.

How is everyone?

(Artist formerly known as GastonTheLadybird/Ewe etc)

Dontpanic Sun 29-Jan-12 15:13:35

Is there a <tumbleweed> emoticon yet?
Don't get time to come on here much at all any more, damn that real life stuff (and fbook & twitter of course).

Ed's at full time nursery now & he's really improving in leaps & bounds as far as talking incessantly about everything etc is concerned...except when I ask him what he's done all day & get 'nuthin'.
And of course, if there was a Name that Doctor Who Monster quiz, he'd beat most of the adults hands down.

Starting a swimming course with him tomorrow as we've been really slack at keeping that up & he adores being in the water.

I'm loving this whole being self employed lark...all the benefits of being a SAHM with the added benefit of adults to talk to occasionally during the day, and no child around! Now, if I could just get the hang of actually cleaning the house at the same time, it would be perfect.

Warning to anyone else thinking about it - do not combine your almost 4yo with a puppy. That way lies madness. I'm sure things will be calm again in a few months, but hell, they've turned my hair gray since November!

tortilla Tue 17-Apr-12 21:15:38

No idea if anyone is checking this thread any more but I wanted to wish you luck for school places which I think are out in most areas over the next few days. We heard at the end of March and got our first choice which was a huge relief. Hope you all get good news x

LadyStark Thu 06-Sep-12 19:43:08

It's Gleek, another namechange for me so if you have lost track, Lauren B on FB. Feeling nostalgic ahead of first day at school tomorrow so reading back over some of our threads. I can't believe our babies are starting school!

Loved the photos on FB, they all look so very grown up.

<broody>

littleducks Mon 24-Sep-12 13:37:39

So now our 'bumps' are off to school (wipes tear from eye) how is everyone getting on?

THis thread is making me broody!!

littleducks Mon 08-Apr-13 18:18:57

Looks like nobody checks it anymore but just in case I would like to announce (to my surprise) I'm pregnant again shock and due in October. Looks like the broodiness got to me subconsciously!

LadyStark Mon 08-Apr-13 18:26:39

Just happened to see this on 'Active Convos' - many congratulations LD! Is that number 3 for you?

littleducks Mon 08-Apr-13 18:28:31

Yes! Was hoping to bump it enough to get attention!

LadyStark Thu 31-Oct-13 22:16:26

Has baby 3 arrived yet littleducks?

ilovegreenbeans Fri 15-Nov-13 22:19:17

Hello! I think I saw on another thread that littleducks's dc3 had arrived recently.
Speaking of dc3s... another bean coming our way at the end of May! Scan on Tuesday, haven't told the dds yet, hardly anyone actually. Not that it's been easy to hide, let me tell you!
Xx

evertonmint Wed 22-Jan-14 18:16:05

Ooh just saw this when I was tidying out my Watched threads list - congrats ILGB! I'm expecting DC3 too - in mid- June so just a couple of weeks behind you smile 20 week scan next week so hoping to find out which gender is going to dominate in our house!

(I was HolidaysQueen originally, 6 (!) years ago, megonthemoon and tortilla on here)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now