Taxi Drivers - Disability Equality Training Camoaign

(7 Posts)
CandyMcJingles Sun 18-Sep-16 08:34:44

I couldn't find the petitions board so please move if appropriate smile

This is campaigning for all taxi drivers to have Disability Equality Training.
If me and CandyDog, my guide dog, are refused by a taxi driver, that means I am not as equal as you.

(Please note, taxi drivers who have a medical exemption certificate for allergy displayed in their vehicle are allowed to refuse. All other taxi drivers by law are not allowed to refuse. Unfortunately some do).

e-activist.com/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=113&ea.campaign.id=53593

HerRoyalFattyness Sun 18-Sep-16 08:51:47

I've sent off the email to my MP candy

mogloveseggs Sun 18-Sep-16 08:52:50

Me too

BombadierFritz Sun 18-Sep-16 08:57:08

is this currently a council issue? our local taxi drivers have to pass a test to be licenced that includes disabilty awareness. but a nearby council doesnt require that, or even vet them, for black cab drivers so as black cab licences are valid outside area, of course lots of people get their licences there. a crackdown on the whole industry, to ensure nationwide standards,including uber, would be good

CandyMcJingles Sun 18-Sep-16 09:04:43

Thank you Mog and hrf flowers

Bombadier I would imagine there's lots of inconsistency. A council can remove a taxi drivers license but it varies across the country whether a council will pursue if if reported.
As we travel across county lines it needs to be national and enforced.

cdtaylornats Sun 18-Sep-16 10:32:26

Uber and similar are a problem, unless the ride-sharing drivers have to have the same requirements as taxi drivers the inevitable consequence will be taxi fares going up and less taxis available.

CandyMcJingles Sun 18-Sep-16 10:44:04

That's an interesting point. Über and similar are taking the monopoly away from traditional taxi companies.
I've yet to use uber. However this campaign is a really good starting point for proper regulations to protect equality.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now