Owen Jones interviews Corbyn and Smith

(9 Posts)
claig Sat 06-Aug-16 22:40:54

Two good 1 hour interviews which give an insight into their personalities and policies.

For me, Corbyn comes across well. Has a sense of humour and relaxed confidence and seems genuine in his wish to help the less well off and he seems to have thought about his policies more than the soundbites that Owen Smith promises.

Owen Smith for me just comes across as a PR man with an aggressive side. I think he comes across as smug. I agree with Giles Fraser in this Guardian article

"Smith is all second-class PR polish. He has this irritating habit of overly using the name of the person he is talking to, as if to establish intimacy. But it has the opposite effect because it feels like he has read it in a book somewhere. He smiles to himself when he has made a good point. He loves those Today programme sentences that begin: “As I have said very clearly…”

He uses upspeak and deliberately introduces emotion and musicality in his voice. And he knows how to make it catch at just the right point. If he could make himself cry, I’m sure he would. The problem with Smith is that he comes across as so insufferably pleased with himself."

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/04/jeremy-corbyn-and-owen-smiths-first-hustings-what-our-writers-thought

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGXVHHxxnZQ

www.youtube.com/watch?v=syib4gUpZ4E

EnthusiasmDisturbed Sun 07-Aug-16 11:34:18

Jeremy Corbyn being interview by someone who has backed up from the start hmm

JC has had a year of being in the spot light as leader he has had time to polish his public persona and his pr team have been hard at work for a year now

Owen Jones is only a few weeks in this is the difference not that JC is more genuine in his beliefs

I would like to see JC on tv more being interviewed by those that haven't openly supported him but he prefers to surround himself with his supporters and not engage with political debate

GiddyOnZackHunt Sun 07-Aug-16 11:41:16

Actually Owen Jones has been publicly critical of Jeremy Corbyn recently so it isn't a case that Corbyn is being interviewed by someone who's supporting him.

Jaynebxl Sun 07-Aug-16 11:42:43

Owen Jones supporting JC from the start? Have you read any OJ stuff?

APlaceOnTheCouch Sun 07-Aug-16 11:46:40

There are very few columnists who have maintained their support of Corbyn. The few who did support him have quite publically changed their positions and Owen Jones has been highly critical lately.

EnthusiasmDisturbed Sun 07-Aug-16 11:49:38

Yes I have read his stuff

Oh no he criticised his leadership shock

claig Sun 07-Aug-16 11:54:49

I think it shows how valuable youtube and the alternative media sources can be. Those interviews are very good and we won't be able to see indepth interviews like that on the BBC.

To get the real info, increasingly you have to look elsewhere.

Jaynebxl Sun 07-Aug-16 21:23:33

Thanks for posting them.

claig Sun 07-Aug-16 21:39:24

Thanks, Jayne. They are very interesting. Owen Jones does a good interview - as Corbyn says, he lets the interviewee talk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now