EU Remain/Leave Rant

(13 Posts)
MusicMum18 Fri 17-Jun-16 10:14:38

Oh what is the world coming to?

1st of all after the terrible murder of Jo Cox yesterday, I question the aggressiveness of the campaigns. In particular Leave campaigners whose buzz phrases seem to be 'put Britain 1st' and 'let us take control' etc. This is whipping people up. I've just been to Tesco and it came up in conversation and I said I am voting Remain. I was harangued by the checkout operator and another customer, not aggressive but very forceful and yes a bit intimidating as I was outnumbered.

And then far more importantly than my tesco experience, poor Jo shot because someone believed that by her voting to remain, she was not putting Britain first? And therefore she should not live?

By leave campaigners saying put Britain first etc vote leave this seems to indirectly imply that remain campaigners do not put Britain first.

This is not the case.

Here are my thoughts n the following...

Immigration. Most immigrants are fleeing for their lives. Trying to protect their families, and trying to survive. Do we close our doors, or do we stay in Europe work with and push the Eu to find middle ground to help others from war torn countries? Also is immigration really as bad as leave say? Can we believe anything Boris Johnson says when he emblazes lies on the sides of buses?

Toy manufacturing. Toy standard guidelines are set by the EU. We'd set our own criteria for standards if we leave. Would we set standards? Can these be trusted? Who knows? Am I going to chance it and vote leave? No. My child's toys are safe as houses NOW and that's what I'm sticking with.

Workers rights. I took a year maternity with my Dd and went part time when I returned to work. Will this be possible if we leave? Is Boris going to give me a signed promise? No? Well then I'll stick and vote remain.

Trading. Apparently it won't make a difference at all if we leave EU. Really? Where's the proof? Currently, as far as I'm aware we trade well with other EU and non EU countries.

Public services. NHS apparently will be a priority for leave campaigners however Gove was accused in QT of writing in his book that he believed nhs should be privatised. Also his own Dad disagreed with him with some of his arguments for leave. Gove made a total balls up of education so was transferred to then make a mess of the prison system. Trust Gove and vote leave? No thanks. Also, if you want me vote leave, tell me how you will improve nhs, how much will you put in, and then sign your promise so you can't go back on your word. Are you prepared to do that Boris? No? Surprise surprise.

I think the world has gone mad. People are being made to think that Britain is such a bad place and that only by leaving and 'taking control' will be a better country.

Utter nonsense. I don't see myself as 'British' or 'English'. I am not patriotic. I am part of a wider world, I don't care if I live with people from other nationalities. By the way how can immigrants be taking all our jobs when unemployment is so low at the moment? Another lie from the leave campaign?

The Eu was set up to unite countries.

At the moment, being in the EU may not be perfect, and yes there is work to be done. But surely a middle ground be reached where we Remain and Reform. That would get my vote. How can anyone vote leave its too great a risk.

CoolforKittyCats Fri 17-Jun-16 10:18:03

How about just like the campaigners on both sides, we don't do this today.

How about we don't use Jo's death for political gain.

How about we don't characterise or stereotype people whichever way they vote.

How about we respect peoples right to vote whichever way they wish.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Fri 17-Jun-16 10:20:10

Absolutely CoolforKittyCats

Just5minswithDacre Fri 17-Jun-16 10:27:45

What they said.

MusicMum18 Fri 17-Jun-16 10:30:14

Yes absolutely Cool for Cats. You are right. Let's not. Sorry for getting carried away.

I do think all the politicians though really need to think about their style of campaigning. In my view it has all been far too aggressive. No wonder the public (including myself!) are all whipped up. It will be interesting to see where the campaigns go from her, hopefully less aggressive!

AnnaForbes Fri 17-Jun-16 10:32:03

What Kitty said.

Tiggeryoubastard Fri 17-Jun-16 10:40:21

What Kitty said and frankly we don't know why poor Jo died. We don't have a bloody clue why he did what he did so to appropriate it for your own ends as you have is, at best, distasteful. At worst - well I'll not go there. I suggest you ask HQ to remove this crass piece of point scoring and go take a look at yourself.

ApocalypseSlough Fri 17-Jun-16 10:40:57

Whatever we feel (I'll be leafleting this weekend) lets just try and be nice to each other today. Not just on MN but RL. flowers

timetobackout Fri 17-Jun-16 10:42:35

Well said Apocalypse

howtorebuild Fri 17-Jun-16 10:47:11

Labour said they are not campaigning today. Maybe you could follow their lead.

MusicMum18 Fri 17-Jun-16 10:48:51

Tigger. No need to be aggressive, you are in fact proving my point.

I don't see any need to remove my post, other than I will admit that it was insensitive of me to start talking about leave/in and like kitty said let's NOT DO THIS TODAY.

I saw on the news that a witness said that the attacker said 'put Britain first' before he shot her. Also my dh was involved in sorting the situation out he's in the police, and he said lots of witnesses said the same thing. It is all speculation, but that is what we are ing told by the media... However, it is up to the police AND NOT US to work out what exactly happened.

Please, let's just leave it there. Let's all be friends and stand together after this terrible tragedy.

Just5minswithDacre Fri 17-Jun-16 10:49:54

Tigger's right. I've reported the thread.

MusicMum18 Fri 17-Jun-16 10:59:54

There's me thinking that we live in a democracy. I'm just angry with ALL the politicians, that's all for their aggressive campaigning style. Like I said I shouldn't have gone on about the EU, that was my mistake.

I just hope the politicians will calm down their campaigns now so that nothing like this will happen again.

If this post is removed, fair enough but I have apologised for talking about the EU debate. Like I said it was insensitive of me to do this today. I will be airing my views another day though!

Over and out 💕

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now