Does joining a Party mean you can influence policies?

(5 Posts)
SilverDragonfly1 Tue 12-May-15 10:28:31

I'm being very good and keeping politics in the politics topic :D

So, if you join a political party, what happens other than you giving them money? Do you have a chance to influence their policies via vote or debate? Can you potentially have an actual dialogue with your local MP rather than being ignored? I have a lot of ideas and opinions (can you tell??) so will I make a difference or just end up even more frustrated?

MagentaVitus Tue 12-May-15 10:35:35

As a member of the Labour Party, you will end up more frustrated. The direction Ed&co took the party was terribly frustrating for a Blairite like myself.

Can't comment on the processes of any other party, as I have never been a member.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 12-May-15 10:41:29

In the Green Party you certainly can, I'm not sure about other parties?

Its kind of to you, and how much you want to be involved. You can just pay subs and contribute to crowd funders, or.you can go to meetings/knock doors/form sub groups to work on particular policies..

fortyfide Tue 12-May-15 11:14:41

well, you would need to climb up the ladder of the party you join to have inflence

SilverDragonfly1 Tue 12-May-15 11:50:12

I wouldn't expect to be making or contributing to policies (although the sub groups mentioned sound good and I would go to meetings), but I would expect that if a substantial number of members objected to a policy or felt it needed adjustment, that would be taken into account. If that's not the case, I wouldn't be joining any.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now