EU election general thread

(31 Posts)
longfingernails Sun 25-May-14 23:00:38

Stonking night for UKIP. Conservatives down about 3-4% so far. Labour up about 11-12%. Very close for second place (though Labour will probably take it).

Dimbleby ignorant as ever. The look of fear on the elites like Bogdanor a joy to behold.

longfingernails Sun 25-May-14 23:01:08

Oh, and Lib Dems coming fifth - hilarious.

longfingernails Sun 25-May-14 23:02:04

FN top the poll in France.

Germany votes for CDU/SDP (yawn) though the AfD (eurosceptic "professors' party") get representation.

Syzira top the poll in Greece.

tiggytape Sun 25-May-14 23:27:57

Dimbleby ignorant as ever.
Poor man is on the hop I think - none of the sound links seem to work and none of the guests seem very keen to join in.

Bad news for Labour tonight if they don't win tonight overall. No main opposition party has failed to win the European elections since 1984.
UKIP have changed the game and made a lot of the number crunching more difficult though.

tiggytape Sun 25-May-14 23:29:40

Yorkshire & Humber: UKIP 1st.
Overall Seats: UKIP, Labour, Conservative, UKIP, Labour, UKIP

longfingernails Sun 25-May-14 23:33:03

I love any and all election nights.

I hope Labour come 3rd but fear they might just scrape it.

Harman, Shapps and Farron don't Get It. They all say "the voters have told us loud and clear they want change" but they don't say "we are the problem, we have neglected the working class, we are going to resign".

mrsruffallo Sun 25-May-14 23:33:33

Marking my place

longfingernails Sun 25-May-14 23:34:50

WHOOHOO. Edward MacMillan-Scott, the whiny windbag, loses in style. Well done the people of Yorkshire and Humber!

longfingernails Sun 25-May-14 23:37:03

Lib Dems wiped out in the South West!!

tiggytape Sun 25-May-14 23:37:08

South West Region: UKIP win
Seats: UKIP, Conservative, UKIP, Conservative, Labour, Green

tiggytape Sun 25-May-14 23:37:53

Lib Dems conceding they may get no seats at this rate at all!

longfingernails Sun 25-May-14 23:39:28

I think the LDs will keep a seat in London.

tiggytape Sun 25-May-14 23:40:47

Yes London is later to declare and has proved to be a very different region to the rest of the UK. Probably more Green and Labour support from London too.

longfingernails Sun 25-May-14 23:42:35

Sadly Boris hasn't really performed in London. It's what I feared.

Anything was better than Ken, but Boris has simply paddled water. London needs someone with more focus on delivery and fewer gimmicks.

tiggytape Sun 25-May-14 23:43:54

Wales: Lab, UKIP, Con, PC

longfingernails Sun 25-May-14 23:45:24

I am astonished by the Welsh result. I genuinely thought UKIP would underperform outside England.

longfingernails Sun 25-May-14 23:45:46

There are even rumours of a UKIP MEP in Scotland, which would be fantastic.

Viviennemary Sun 25-May-14 23:46:05

I can't see the Lib Dems ever coming back. I think they're finished. They just simply can't be trusted. I have voted for them a few times in the past as a kind of protest vote but never would again.

longfingernails Sun 25-May-14 23:47:51

Sadiq Khan still thinks Labour is doing well.

tiggytape Sun 25-May-14 23:49:19

Nobody dwells too much on the parallels really between the Scottish and Welsh drive towards greater independence and growing British feeling of wanting to be break somewhat from Europe. Of course the campaigns are all different in the left/right sense but overall the drive to want to be more self governing is a common theme that resonates with lots of people.
Or there again, it may be significant that it is mainly the Welsh, English border that turned purple.

FidelineandFumblin Sun 25-May-14 23:50:00

It depends how you define 'well', bless him, the whole landscape has been tilted.

longfingernails Sun 25-May-14 23:58:01

tiggytape Balkanisation between and within countries is indeed an interesting trend. It goes much deeper than politics I think; it's partly just that we have more choices.

The idiotic idea of 'ever-closer union' being the answer to all problems, however big or small - is being shown for the fallacy it is. Some problems are indeed solved on the world or European stage. Most aren't. The EU should take the hint.

longfingernails Mon 26-May-14 00:02:10

Tower Hamlets apparently doing its usual bang-up job in vote counting...

MrsStatham Mon 26-May-14 00:03:52

Interesting times. Lib Dems, the most pro Europe party of all won't have any representation in the EU.

It's about time they realised that they're supposed to represent us, not rule over us.

Theincidental Mon 26-May-14 00:08:01

As a Green Party voter in the SW, I'm really pleased. As much as I loathe the lib dens for recent behaviour I'm also glad grAham Watson kept his seat; he's been hood for our region.

Utterly gob smacked at ukip votes given how much the eu has supported our interests.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now