How likely are they to do this?

(65 Posts)
AngelsInWinter Fri 24-Jan-14 18:40:49

Politicians saying that they will maybe limit child tax credits and child benefit to three children as of the next election (may 2015).

Really worried about it.. Will it happen? I don't even know who is in power, or who would need to win the election to implement this blush

Even if they do I don't think they would do it retrospectively, ie for children already born....in which case, do you still need to worry?

AngelsInWinter Fri 24-Jan-14 19:11:49

In a way, yes. We'd like a fourth but no idea if that would be possible on the income we have now. It may well be. It may not. I've just read the other thread on this and realised I'm going to get flamed, rather than advised! sad

Fwiw DP worked 75 hours last week, but isn't paid enough for us NOT to need tax credits etc.

HamletsSister Fri 24-Jan-14 19:16:36

I think the days of having a large family, secure in the knowledge that the state will provide are over, or soon will be. I find myself very torn about this. I am from a large family but chose to have a small one as I would not have what I couldn't pay for. We can afford 2 and live reasonably comfortably. 3 would have meant cutbacks, 4 would have meant some hardships. We both work full time. I think, unless you can guarantee paying for them without any state help you are going, in the future, to have to stop with what you can afford.

The reason I am torn is it feels a bit like state involvement in the size of families. However, they are not stopping you having more, just suggesting you will have to pay for them yourselves.

AngelsInWinter Fri 24-Jan-14 19:25:51

Yes, it's totally fair enough. I do actually agree with the idea. But...

It may mean the difference between us having three or four, and I want to know the likelihood of it coming into play next year. Because if so, really we'd have to ttc now, if that makes sense.

HamletsSister Fri 24-Jan-14 19:30:37

So you agree with the idea but want to make sure it doesn't apply to you!

You are right OP, you are going to get flamed and rightly so tbh.

DontmindifIdo Fri 24-Jan-14 19:37:35

You could have no idea how it will be implemented regardless of what's said now. Realistically, there is a lot of talk around limiting benefits to a small number of children, so you can't rely on state help for a large number.

Look at your finances, assume it will be no additional income for the 4th dc, can you afford it? Could you cope? What would have to go? If you really want and can manage on current income with 4, go for it when suits you.

But you would be foolish to have a 4th now with the hope you'll get additional state help, large families receiving state help are politically unpopular, both major parties are well aware the bulk of the public are against this so it's a big risk.

AngelsInWinter Fri 24-Jan-14 19:37:49

Well why make life harder for ourselves? I didn't create tax credits, in fact when I had my first baby and his "father" left I had NO idea such things existed and was shocked when I found out about the help available.

AngelsInWinter Fri 24-Jan-14 19:39:57

Thanks, don'tmindifido.

That's what we need to work out... But it's impossible to know how much the children will cost as they get older. Right now they're all under 6.

If I get flamed I'll just stop posting, I'm over sensitive at the best of times, sigh.

ChoudeBruxelles Fri 24-Jan-14 19:41:43

I don't think your choice of another child should be based on govt policy which inherently could change every 4-5 years

TeamHank Fri 24-Jan-14 19:41:57

Rather than stop posting maybe you need to think very carefully about why you think you're going to get flamed Angels? Have a really hard think about it? Is it right that you should have children you can't afford? If you're uncomfortable with it then you're uncomfortable for a reason.

I'm a big believer in the welfare state but endlessly supporting other people's kids born into families who can't support them? Not so much.

DontmindifIdo Fri 24-Jan-14 19:43:36

Op, the tax credits are unlikely to be scrapped, it's just you won't get more, there's nothing wrong with claiming what you are entitled to (although some people think there is), but it's foolish to have a larger family than you can afford on the hope that you'll be entitled to more money when it's clear there's a lot of political interest in limited benefit entitlement to a set number of dcs.

Don't try to have a 4th now to beat a deadline when you don't know for certain changes won't effect existing dcs. Let's face it, the whole tax credits system is very new, the whole thing could be scrapped and replaced with a new system, and no changes made since the boom ended have been to increase the amount families receive in state financial help.

AngelsInWinter Fri 24-Jan-14 19:46:17

But DP does work. Really hard. And when the children are in school, I will too.

lljkk Fri 24-Jan-14 19:47:57

Safest thing is not to have another child if this would make such a difference.

TeamHank Fri 24-Jan-14 19:48:25

No one mentioned that he didn't did he? But if he/you don't earn enough to support 4 kids, you don't earn enough to support 4 kids and that's it really.

AngelsInWinter Fri 24-Jan-14 19:48:49

It's just rubbish, I guess. People have been screwing this system for a long time, we just want another child. But I'm not stupid, and I wouldn't have one without working out finances etc first.

I think people on here would look at our income and be shocked that we can afford three children. But we can. Maybe priorities are different? I don't know.

Meglet Fri 24-Jan-14 19:49:37

I have a bad feeling that if they get in again God I hope they don't they are going to tear the welfare system / education and NHS to pieces.

Yes, lots of people work hard, but why should people who don't get tax credits not have children they would dearly love to because they can't afford to support them, even when working and paying taxes...that then goes to people who make the conscious decision to have children they know they will need financial assistance from the state for confused.

You can also pretty much guarantee the DC's will get much more expensive as they get older btw, if only in respect of food and clothes.

TeamHank Fri 24-Jan-14 19:52:09

It is rubbish Angels i agree. We had to remortgage our house to pay for IVF cos the NHS wouldn't give it to us cos it's a lifestyle choice. It's shit but there it is.

Meglet, there won't be a public sector if this govt gets its way.

AngelsInWinter Fri 24-Jan-14 19:52:27

Hmm maybe I should actually vote this year! I always think my vote wouldn't make a difference, but who knows. Ughhh I don't like uncertainty! In case anyone didn't notice grin

Bowlersarm Fri 24-Jan-14 19:55:11

OP, have the amount of children you can afford. It's simple, really.

AngelsInWinter Fri 24-Jan-14 19:58:03

What?!

Surely people who DON'T get tax credits earn a hell of a lot more than my DP?? I know they'll get more expensive, it's easy when their babies in a way.

Onesleeptillwembley Fri 24-Jan-14 19:58:39

Hope they do get this through. I resent paying for people to have more children than they can afford - I agonised when I got pregnant with a coil with my third.

Bowlersarm Fri 24-Jan-14 19:58:41

I would have loved a fourth. It was never going to happen. Far too expensive.

Bravely, i am going to say, four children is a lot. Especially if you are planning number 4 ie not n accident. Why should you be funded for your choice?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now