Labour 1997 - 2010, was the worst government ever

(102 Posts)
Wellwobbly Thu 10-Oct-13 20:00:01

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/seanthomas/100240679/exclusive-labour-1997-2010-was-the-worst-government-ever-and-this-is-why/

caroldecker Mon 06-Jan-14 19:24:06

wallison

Thank-you for laying out your ideas - agree the railways were not privitised properly, but doubling of train journeys since privitisation in 1995 suggests something is better than the old BR.
Not sure what benefit nationalising the power companies would be as the cost is prohibitive and there is no evidence nationalised power would be cheaper without subsidies -destroying the benefit of nationalisation.

Agree with more house building - dislike rent controls as they are shown not to work around the world and prevent people moving - some better security of tenure could help people

an increase to the minimum wage would destroy the profitability of many companies, so those currently earning something would earn nothing - we live in a global economy and therefore must compete globally. It would also destry the employability of many people who's 'work' value is less then the new wage.

nonmifairidere Mon 06-Jan-14 11:19:01

OJ bingo, ironfilings? House!

ironman Mon 06-Jan-14 10:31:56

Owen Jones when interviewed by Andrew Neil did not know what was talking about! Jones was saying MP's earned over a million a year, he looked a right dick, that and his fake Lancashire accent. This man is a complete idiot, even worse he writes for the Guardian! Reads it as well, while he discusses with his other Guardian mates sorry friends from Primrose Hill, how awful are the Chavs who shop in Primark, now that Woolworth's is closed.
He's typical of the fascist liberal elite, who despise those they say they support.
Must have a brew now I've castigated that wxxker!

ironman Mon 06-Jan-14 10:06:26

Owen Jones is a fake, who does not understand the working classes, of whom he writes about. His book 'Chavs' was crap.

Wallison Sat 04-Jan-14 15:42:23

Haha cheers Custardo. Sorry to disappoint but I am not Owen Jones - I do think he is fab though.

CustardoPaidforIDSsYFronts Sat 04-Jan-14 15:06:31

wallinson are you owen jones in disguise - because i just fell in love with you

Wallison Sat 04-Jan-14 14:53:08

I'd vote for you, Custardo.

I do actually have a few ideas of my own as well - they involve investment aka 'spending money' but it's spending money in the right way - unlike this unelected shower who are spending more money than Blair ever did thanks to their own misguided policies - unemployment costs money, homelessness costs money, an inflated housing market costs money etc.

- renationalise energy companies and rail companies. Profits to go back into the public coffers. Like I say, it's an investment. We're spending more public money on the railways than we ever did when they were nationalised. Privatisation hasn't worked - it's more expensive both for the country and for passengers. We've given it enough time, and it's proved unsuccessful so time for a change of tack.

- embark on a real programme of house-building, especially publicly owned housing. Again, we've tried the free market, and it's been a disaster - more people homeless, more people in temporary accommodation, poor quality stock of private sector rentals due to lack of regulation, and £20billion a year on housing benefit due to unaffordability of housing. In a similar vein, bring back rent controls and restore security of tenure for all tenants. If that means fewer btl-ers, all to the good. The price of housing is one of the biggest reasons why there is such a gap between wages and living costs.

- raise the minimum wage to a living wage. If a company cannot afford to pay a living wage to its employees, then it shouldn't be in business because it is clearly not viable. Tax credits are merely a subsidy for these unsuccessful employers - time they went to the wall.

There's more I'm sure but that would be enough to be getting on with.

CustardoPaidforIDSsYFronts Sat 04-Jan-14 13:07:57

dont spend millions on expenses

dont let whitehall officials spend 17 m on bunny suits and hotels in Brazil

#votecustyforPM

CustardoPaidforIDSsYFronts Sat 04-Jan-14 13:06:41

ive come up with the answer, collect the owed taxes, close tax loopholes

whats your answer carol?

Wallison Sat 04-Jan-14 10:18:51

<<I am asking for potential solutions/changes>>

<<Again come up with answers please not just complaints <<

Why? Does Cameron come on here for policy advice? Who are you to say what people should and shouldn't be discussing?

caroldecker Sat 04-Jan-14 02:33:18

Again come up with answers please not just complaints - maybe there is not enough money to do what you want

CustardoPaidforIDSsYFronts Sat 04-Jan-14 00:42:30

went it gets to a point where we can't support old people, i too wonder what will be proposed euthenasia by lottery

NiceTabard Fri 03-Jan-14 19:50:33

People who think thatcher was appalling hate the UK and should leave?

Crikey mikey.

Easy to see where the real hatred lies on this thread, TBH.

handcream Fri 03-Jan-14 16:18:50

I was listening to someone on LBC this morning complaining from the medical profession (ambulance personnel I think) saying that although teachers do a great job really any pay rises should go to him and his colleagues.

Its funny, we are all living longer. I will get my pension at 68 - my DM got her's at 60 and we all agree that something has got to change especially around retirement ages but many many professions are claiming they shouldnt be targetted. They are different and should keep their old retirement ages which are often under 60!

So, I will be burnt out by 60 - can I retire then too....

caroldecker Fri 03-Jan-14 15:45:37

I'm not suggesting become an MP, I am asking for potential solutions/changes. Custardo has mentioned the tax gap, although there is much debate about how much is is and very little appears to be big business - most appears to be VAT fraud and underpayment by SME's - so basically the self employed fiddling thier taxes.
There is also some ill-thought through discussion in international transer pricing and tax of international companies.
Again Wallison what would you do?

CustardoPaidforIDSsYFronts Fri 03-Jan-14 14:13:23

I think it is poor form to tell someone with a different pov they have chips on their shoulders and sound deranged.

I also do not understand the comments 'do something about it'

Yes, whatever your personal circumstances, level of debt, children, relationship and wider family issues, personal health etc...just become an MP hmm because we can all afford to do that can't we not very well thought through me thinks

lottieandmia Fri 03-Jan-14 14:12:36

Excellent posts from Custardo.

Wallison Fri 03-Jan-14 14:09:08

I have been abusive, but to Thatcher and Reagan. I guess they could report me through the power of the afterlife - do you get mumsnet in Hades?

CustardoPaidforIDSsYFronts Fri 03-Jan-14 14:06:54

I haven't been abusive, if I have report the post please

Wallison Fri 03-Jan-14 14:04:35

I have told you what I am doing about it. I don't see why I should, when you have told me to leave the country and called me 'deranged', but still I did. Maybe if you want a debate, you could leave the personal attacks out of it.

handcream Fri 03-Jan-14 14:02:25

Wallison - have you read some of your answers. If I really hated things as much as you seem to I would do something about it. Make real changes not just knock everyone in general who you think has brought on your woes.

CustardoPaidforIDSsYFronts Fri 03-Jan-14 13:57:42

is this still going? I forgot about this thread - be back in a bit, just m,arking my palce

Wallison Fri 03-Jan-14 13:55:29

I'm not the one making personal attacks and telling people to leave the country, handcream.

handcream Fri 03-Jan-14 13:49:20

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Wallison Fri 03-Jan-14 12:28:42

I answered your semi-literate 'question' about Thatcher despite it being worded in such a way that I was unsure as to what you were asking. I have also addressed the rather personal attacks telling me to leave the country. Have there been other questions directed to me? Because if so, I haven't seen them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now