Rachel Reeves

(21 Posts)
olgaga Mon 23-Sep-13 23:27:42

I think she's been brilliant on Newsnight tonight and recently. I heatd some idiotic Newsnight Editor described her as 'Boring Snoring'.

Misogynist or what?

I hope she's the next Labour leader.

olgaga Mon 23-Sep-13 23:28:37

*heatd = heard

claig Tue 24-Sep-13 06:09:55

Agree, olgaga. She is very good.
She is very knowledgeable and never gets ruffled. She is always calm, polite and focused, answers questions well and doesn't engage in personal or petty attacks.

contortionist Tue 24-Sep-13 06:40:02

The 'idiotic' newsnight editor is Justine Robert's DH. Perhaps you could ask her to have a word...

olgaga Tue 24-Sep-13 15:58:49

Yes - fluent and knowledgeable - presumably she was 'boring' because Paxo wasn't able to make her look foolish.

Yes I know he is H to Justine Roberts. No less idiotic for that, sadly!

MrJudgeyPants Tue 24-Sep-13 16:35:57

Sorry to be the voice of dissent but I'm with the Newsnight editor on this one. I have nothing against Rachel Reeves as such but I can't help thinking that she is no more (or less) interesting than many others across both benches. What I'm about to say could be levelled at most politicians but with politicians of all flavours being reduced to some bland interchangeable pastiche of 'on message' soundbites which, in turn, have been 'focus grouped' to within an inch of their lives there's so little charisma on display that the electorate may as well vote for a lettuce! It's hardly surprising that those few politicians who manage to communicate without sounding like they've had a personality bypass are so successful and whatever your views of them, the likes of Boris and Farage are very successful.

This is half of the problem with Ed Miliband. I don't think he has any charisma. Add to the mix that he doesn't have any policies either, that half the country doesn't buy his 'average Joe' act (he's the son of a millionaire marxist for example), throw in the fratricidal battle with his brother, the fact he's a union stooge, the fact he's never had to hold down a proper job and the fact he's complicit in the last Labour governments shambolic management of the country and he becomes a dead man walking. Sadly for Labour, the fact that the entire party appears to be made up of Rachel Reeves clones* and the loathsome Ed Balls, suggests that there is no one who would make a compelling alternative.

* This problem also afflicts the Conservatives, the Lib Dems and, Farage asside, UKIP too, hence my belief that the party leaders that are in post now will be the ones to face the electorate at the next GE.

Chipstick10 Tue 24-Sep-13 18:38:19

Omg that voice!! She brings me out in hives.

olgaga Tue 24-Sep-13 18:45:47

I agree the current leaders will be in post at the next election - no party is confident of doing well enough to make leadership a prize worth fighting and dividing for.

I think with today's 24 hour news media looking for the slightest slip-up or 'off message' story it's hardly surprising that politicians are increasingly risk-averse.

Just ask Godfrey Bloom grin grin .

olgaga Tue 24-Sep-13 18:45:47

I agree the current leaders will be in post at the next election - no party is confident of doing well enough to make leadership a prize worth fighting and dividing for.

I think with today's 24 hour news media looking for the slightest slip-up or 'off message' story it's hardly surprising that politicians are increasingly risk-averse.

olgaga Tue 24-Sep-13 18:45:49

olgaga Tue 24-Sep-13 18:45:50

I

I

olgaga Tue 24-Sep-13 18:45:51

I

olgaga Tue 24-Sep-13 18:47:01

Um.... no idea what happened there!

flatpackhamster Wed 02-Oct-13 08:23:20

If something's worth saying, it's worth saying 12 times.

And what was said about her wasn't "misogynist", unless merely criticising a woman is now misogynist, which it does seem to be according to some people.

LibraryBook Tue 08-Oct-13 18:57:54

I think Rachel Reeves is awful, truly awful. She has that monotonous, annoying voice that bores holes in my brain. I'm with the Newsnight Editor, Rachel Reeves is boring.

I'm very pleased Ed Miliband has promoted her. wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now