Any UKIP supporters on here? What exactly are you voting for?

(796 Posts)
chicaguapa Fri 03-May-13 07:44:45

I confess I don't know what the UKIP policies are, but wondered if the people voting for them could explain to me what they are please. Thanks.

Wallison Fri 03-May-13 11:32:24

PetiteRaleuse, I agree that it's very worrying. Like I said, these kind of parties have a history of taking advantage of poor economic situations and political vacuums. The UK is heading into dangerous waters.

Xenia Fri 03-May-13 11:32:41

Until we leave the EU the UKIP cannot remove laws which we have to have under EU law. SSP and SMP - does not matter whether the employer or the state pays them surely if you get the money? SMP is only 6 weeks at 90% opay. After that most people cannot afford to live on the amount they pay unless they saved up so plenty of us are back in 6 weeks under current law.

Sick pay - the first 3 days is unpaid under current law and after that at a very low rate. Some employers choose to pay more but not all.

I am not a UKIP supporter, but you can see people using it as a protest vote and the impact my be as Farage suggested on R4 this morning that other parties will have to take on board their policies as he said accurately that Blair did because of the SDP threat - Labour adopted CDP policies, ditched the left and although yes Labour got in it was really the SDP policies.

I am sure UKIP has not costed most of its policies. I like the idea of a 33% flat tax which I think merges with NI.

Orwellian Fri 03-May-13 11:33:50

I think the UKIP are seen as a protest vote by a lot of people (just to qualify, I wouldn't vote at all at the moment as I don't believe in any of the parties or anything they say).

I think there is real, deep felt anger at the way the main parties (Lab, Lib Dems, Cons) seem to look down at the voters, say one thing in their manifesto but do another and just generally have an arrogance about them that originates from a political class that is currently bred in Oxbridge and has very little experience of the real world or real worries. Let's face it, how many current politicians will have to worry about housing or their childrens education or a pension - very few. I also think that politicians these days seem to be very much career politicians and will cosy up to business or unions who will help them further their career once they have left office. Very few seem genuinely concerned in doing what is right for the country but rather make policies (or change policies) to ensure they are re-elected. They all seem very cynical, immoral, grabbing and untrustworthy.

UKIP appeals because people know what it stands for (even if it does ride on one main policy) as opposed to the Tories or Labour who don't seem to stand for anything at the moment and have become red-Tories, blue-Labour with policies that many people don't really worry too much about such as gay marriage or windfarms.

People mostly vote UKIP because people don't like being told not to do something and people hate the whole "you're racist if you oppose unlimited immigration" because they see for themselves that it is not a racism issue but rather an issue of overcrowding, pressure on public services, school places, the NHS which the big parties are currently putting their heads in the sand about for some reason, when the reality is very dire for a lot of people.

fluffiphlox Fri 03-May-13 11:33:55

I don't know why anyone would vote for them. And Farage always seems too pleased with himself and just a little bit thick. Last general election they were canvassing around here and the man that came to our door was the sort of bearded, beblazered, patronising, stumpy fool who would buy you a nice half or a sweet sherry and call you 'young lady'. No ta.

tiggytape Fri 03-May-13 11:34:16

sieglinde - the benefit of being a protest party is that you don't have to take charge and run the country. You don't have to have a master plan all costed out.
You get votes and use this to force the main parties to change their policies more in line with what you want.
UKIP support has already forced Labour for example to be tougher on immigration.

A bit like the Greens. All main parties are now against air pollution and pro recycling in a way they might not be were it not for the public support demonstrated in years of elections backing Green policies.

Rooney - The result was the Conservatives lost Tunbridge Wells East to Ukip: 1,386 to 1,005.

LtEveDallas Fri 03-May-13 11:35:56

Blueskies, what about this for a quote from a UKIP MEP:

Godfrey Bloom (UKIP MEP since 2004) has notoriously declared: *No selfrespecting
small businessman with a brain in the right place would ever employ a
lady of child-bearing age*

He applied for a place on the Women’s Rights
Committee of the European Parliament, saying *I am here to represent Yorkshire
women who always have dinner on the table when you get home. I am going to
promote men’s rights.*

He wanted to deal with women’s issues because I just don’t think they clean behind the fridge enough.

Mr Bloom later said that employers should not “waste” money training pregnant
staff, and added *Women don’t need protection nowadays – they’re the ones ruling
the roost.*

And, of course, every single UKIP MEP is a white, middle-aged, middle-class
male.

I won't do that to my girls...

exexpat Fri 03-May-13 11:38:45

Godfrey Bloom is the MEP who thinks he can disprove allegations of misogyny by putting pictures on his website of him posing with anonymous adult women, tagged 'Godfrey and the girls'.

Blueskiesandbuttercups Fri 03-May-13 11:39:25

Hmmmm the other 3 have pretty much shat all over my 3 children.<sigh>

Orwellian's post was spot on.

LtEveDallas Fri 03-May-13 11:39:35

Sorry, that was a C&P from a PDF that didn't quite work smile. You get the jist I hope.

FanjoForTheMammaries Fri 03-May-13 11:47:22

The UKIP wouldn't be the best choice for my child. To say the least.

ihategeorgeosborne Fri 03-May-13 11:48:57

The child benefit policy alone ensures that I will never vote tory again. We haven't had local elections where we are, but I am much cheered that the current useless lot of incumbents are getting a good kicking country wide.

tiggytape Fri 03-May-13 11:50:12

But the point is over 1/4 of votes in areas where UKIP stood went to UKIP.

It is no good saying people are mad to vote for such a nutty party - that's pretty much what Labour and the Tories have said all along but the fact remains people are voting for them and this should not be dismissed as 'people don't know what's good for them'

In a democracy, people have ways to make their views heard. They are generally a bit more radical in mid-term elections than the 'real thing' of a General Election but even so, 26% in the areas they stood is huge. It may change as more results come in but just dismissing such a shift is missing the point that something about UKIP's message is speaking to people in a way that other parties just haven't managed and more importantly, they seem to be able to appeal not just to the right but to many on the left as well. That is a very significant achievement for a small party to make and there are reasons that so many disaffected voters aren’t just switching between the main parties but jumping ship altogether.

Lazyjaney Fri 03-May-13 11:51:14

Turn the OPs question on it's head - what do you think you get for voting for any of the main parties - and you instantly see why people are supporting UKIP.

The main parties have got their heads stuck in the London Chatterati bubble (media, money and MPs) and seem unable to grasp where the rest of the country is, and seem to be churning out policy after policy that makes no sense. Vote Labour, LibDem, Cons - you're just getting the same metropolitan upper middle class professional politicians, all in hoc to the same media and money powers.

RooneyMara Fri 03-May-13 11:51:32

thanks, Tiggy.

Blueskies, no, I'm not being overdramatic.

tiggytape Fri 03-May-13 11:56:54

Lazy - I think that's about the size of it. People are genuinely stunned that in the middle of very hard times for themselves and their families, all poilitical news concentrates on things they frankly don't give a damn about - wind farms, gay marriage, The Leveson Enquiry.

I'm not saying those issues are unimportant but they just aren't in line with people's list of things to worry about right now.

And the policies that touch on the things they do care about are all disliked - more cuts, more closures and no message from Labour to say whether they'd go along with such cuts, reverse them or do something else altogether.

Wallison Fri 03-May-13 11:57:49

I don't think that pointing out when a racist is saying racist things is 'dismissing' them, tiggytape. On the contrary, it is challenging them, which is what one should do with a racist. And just because there are lots of them, doesn't make them right.

Lazyjaney Fri 03-May-13 12:02:35

" Like I said, these kind of parties have a history of taking advantage of poor economic situations and political vacuums. The UK is heading into dangerous waters"

For them to succeed it also requires the main parties to complacently ignore and disparage these movements and issues, and to try and suppress debate.

So carrying on calling everyone you disagree with "Racists" and "Fruitcakes" is just playing into their hands.

tiggytape Fri 03-May-13 12:04:18

Absolutely Wallison.
But if you define racism as any person who is anti immigration controls - well then you've just branded every major political party and most UK residents as racists. Which doesn't tend to sit well with people.

slug Fri 03-May-13 12:04:39

Does anyone else picture Farrage asking for "A white wine/fruit based drink for the ladies" in a pub?

<<gets coat>>

tiggytape Fri 03-May-13 12:06:09

Does gin count as fruit based though - that might affect my answer? It is sort of made from berries isn't it?

RooneyMara Fri 03-May-13 12:06:51

i'm trying to work out which character from the simpsons he most resembles. the man has no lips.

tiggytape Fri 03-May-13 12:07:42

Rooney - that made me laugh. No lips!

Wallison Fri 03-May-13 12:09:55

Lazyjaney, I am not responsible for the actions of racists being racist.

Tiggy, I would define racist as anyon who is racist. HTH.

Lazyjaney Fri 03-May-13 12:10:55

Tiggy I think the main parties are still largely faffing around with "top of Maslow" issues, ie "first world problems" for well to do and secure parts of the population, whereas the reality of the many is more fundamental "bottom of Maslow" issues like food, shelter, futures for their kids etc.

slug Fri 03-May-13 12:11:45

Surely this one

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now