Tory voters - Has the current government put you off voting Tory again?

(96 Posts)
Unami Sat 27-Apr-13 21:22:53

This question isn't aimed at those who have historically voted Labour, obviously.

I'm genuinely interested in whether the current government's policies have disillusioned any Tory voters. I have a relatively wide mix of political perspectives amongst my friends and colleagues, and I'd really like to ask some of the people I know who voted Tory in the last election whether or not the current governments' policies have put them right off the Tory party. I'm thinking especially of voters I know who are younger than me, too young to remember the previous Tory government, and have more or less inherited their affiliation with Conservative politics from their family. I get the feeling that some of these younger voters might think that current policies, like the bedroom tax, the benefit cuts to disabled people, the withdrawing of EMA, are a bit much, quite frankly. However, I don't want to ask them directly as most of the Tory voters I know don't really like to 'talk about politics' or would be defensive/evasive about it. Anyway, I'm sure there's a much wider range of perspectives here!

So, have any current Tory policies - the welfare cuts, the marketisation of the NHS, increased student tuition fees, the bedroom tax - actually surprised you and made you reconsider voting Tory again? Or has their general inability to improve the economy (despite/because of their so called public sector cuts) put you off?

If so, who would you vote for now?

ivanhoe Mon 20-May-13 19:04:30

Considering traditional Labour in the past gave us the NHS, I will never understand why ordinary working class people could ever vote for a partythat loathes the very concept of the NHS. I am refering to the Tory party. I think working class people vote Tory out of snobbish reasons.

ttosca Wed 01-May-13 14:44:28

> I am not a UKIP supporter but to be fair I think they are the only party in the UK which bans people who are BNP members.

Why would they need to explicitly ban BNP members? Why do you think they might attract BNP members?

> It is a bit unfair to suggest they have an ask don't tell policy.

Does not follow at all.

> I was certainly in support of the removal of tax relief for charitable contributions. It is a distortion of the free market and can be abused. If you want to help charity do it out of income already taxed.

There is no free-market, anywhere.

Xenia Wed 01-May-13 14:38:47

I am not a UKIP supporter but to be fair I think they are the only party in the UK which bans people who are BNP members. It is a bit unfair to suggest they have an ask don't tell policy.

I was certainly in support of the removal of tax relief for charitable contributions. It is a distortion of the free market and can be abused. If you want to help charity do it out of income already taxed.

On £15k tax allowance - the Coalition are increasing the single person allowance for tax to £10,000 although that is slightly pointless as the limit for paying 12% national insurance will remain around £7k. Pity they could not move the two up at the same time to the same level.

ttosca Tue 30-Apr-13 21:25:57

UKIP candidate Gabi Coleman tells of party's 'Don't ask don't tell' Nazi policy

UKIP candidate Gabi Coleman has stated on Facebook that she knew that suspended candidate, Alex Woods, was a Nazi but it was best that everyone kept quiet about it, until at least after the election, according to a post she has made on Facebook.

Coleman, who is standing for the right wing party in Tunbridge Wells Rural, went on to state that there are other Nazis in the party but they operate a 'don't ask, don't tell' policy.

edlnews.co.uk/index.php/rss/1086-gabi-coleman-ukip-nazi-policy

claig Tue 30-Apr-13 20:58:12

'A powerful alliance of aid groups, charities and arts organisations is launching a full-frontal assault on Treasury plans to limit tax relief for philanthropists, warning that they will have a devastating impact on the culture of giving at the heart of David Cameron's "big society".

'As part of an assault on so-called aggressive tax avoidance – billed as a tycoon tax – George Osborne announced a limit on the amount of tax relief that wealthy donors could receive in respect of large donations. This would substantially cut the amount that philanthropists can claim back if they donated more than £200,000, meaning it would cost them far more to give the same sums to charities, aid projects, new hospitals, universities, arts bodies or other charitable causes.'

www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/apr/07/george-osborne-charities-donation-tax-revolt

Hats off to Osborne for trying to do it on behalf of millions of ordinary voters, but the tycoons and lobbies, I guess, were too influential.

Under Thatcher, it may have been possible to do it.

claig Tue 30-Apr-13 20:48:28

"they are wet wet wet"

That is the trouble. They are wet, they are progressive and they didn't even have the confidence to tell the TV interviewers exactly why they were proud to give Thatcher the funeral she deserved. They were too cautious and were trying to please everyone, with the result that they pleased no one.

It is pointless them hugging hoodies and trying to be wet, because progressives will never vote for them anyway. But by doing these things, they are ignoring their own voters who had 13 years of wet New Labour policies. That is why many of their voters are likely to switch to UKIP for this local election.

They need to get back to their roots and appeal to the 'aspiration nation' and they need to help the 'squeezed middle' more. They have done some great things like taking millions of low earners out of taxation. I think it was the editor of the Spectator that I heard on TV saying that they should make the first £15000 of earnings tax free. That would be very popular.

Osborne did a great thing in trying to get some more tax from some of the charities and philanthropists, but unfortunately there was opposition to his policies and the lobbies forced him to change the policy.

MiniTheMinx Tue 30-Apr-13 20:44:28

We already have liberal free market policies, it's called neo-liberalism. For gods sake Xenia......go and read a book or something. Or better still there are 100s of LSE lectures on line, why not listen to some.

Xenia Tue 30-Apr-13 20:37:02

I've said what I think - they are wet wet wet and need to think about radical liberal free market policies which will help industry grow.

claig Tue 30-Apr-13 20:18:48

'I do not believe you.'

Alright, I had more than a little tipple, but an event like that only happens once every 5 years.

claig Tue 30-Apr-13 20:17:15

'How do Conservative voters think this govt is doing?'

They don't think it is doing well, which is why UKIP is on the rise, and it is due to the question is Farage the real successor of Thatcher and a better Tory than the ones we curently have.

Chubfuddler Tue 30-Apr-13 20:16:36

I do not believe you.

claig Tue 30-Apr-13 20:15:09

Yes I voted Tory in the last election and stayed up all night to watch New Labour kicked out of many constituencies in the South East and even had a little tipple to celebrate.

I am not an ardent UKIP supporter, but in these local elections, I too, like thousands of others, will vote UKIP.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Chubfuddler Tue 30-Apr-13 20:07:31

You are an ardent UKIP supporter and former Tory voter. Did you vote Tory at the last election?

claig Tue 30-Apr-13 20:07:00

Littlejohn in the Mail has got it spot on, as so often, and he is probably usually a Tory voter trather than a New Labour one, and he says

"So what if UKIP is a protest party? How else do we protest if not at the ballot box?"

'You can tell Farage has got the mainstream politicians worried. If they weren’t concerned, they wouldn’t be wheeling out big guns like Ken Clarke to trash UKIP.

As I said, I respect Ken’s honesty even though I despair of his cussed devotion to the EU. I’d cheerfully buy him a pint and a small panatella.

But when push came to shove, if they were both standing in my constituency in a general election, I’d vote for Farage."

www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2316746/RICHARD-LITTLEJOHN-How-protest-ballot-box.html?ico=home^editors_choice

That is the reality of what is going on.

I don't want some of those flint-faced former communist party members, who chip away at the country's civil liberties, back in power in 2015, but that is going to happen if the Tory vote is split because the Tories have taken their own vote for granted.

I think the people will send a message on Thursday not to take their votes for granted.

claig Tue 30-Apr-13 19:59:36

'You aren't a disgruntled Tory voter claig'

I am a disgruntled Tory voter, which is why I understand the discontent and why people are moving to UKIP. That is what I am describing. It's not a hijack - join in and disagree if you want.

claig Tue 30-Apr-13 19:57:46

'For shame, claig. Really.'

There is no shame in democracy. Let's listen to what the people say. Let's see the message that they send.

Chubfuddler Tue 30-Apr-13 19:57:33

Well this is a fascinating high jack of yet smother thread by claig I must say. You aren't a disgruntled Tory voter claig, so what brings you to the thread?

claig Tue 30-Apr-13 19:55:35

The progressives are on message, buy they never get the message because they never listen to the people. They are too busy listening to their think tanks, policy wonks and spinners rather than to ordinary people such as the Mrs Duffys.

They hold "Big Conversations", big up "Big Society" and tell big lies. They ignore the wishes of the people, but now they have to face the public vote.

ttosca Tue 30-Apr-13 19:49:00

For shame, claig. Really.

claig Tue 30-Apr-13 19:48:52

Channel 4 News said that some people see Farage as the common sense man in the pub. I think that is right, and that is why Farage could quite easily eclipse Boris Johnson in popularity, because Boris is funny but not the ordinary bloke.

Remember how both parties wheeled out the policy wonks and toffs to enter a Greggs establishment and partake of pasty in order to look like we are all in it together. They can try as hard as they like, but Farage has the effortless appeal to ordinary voters that the pulic school policy wonks and PPEs can never achieve no matter how many pagers they carry.

claig Tue 30-Apr-13 19:39:39

On Channel 4 News just now we saw Harriet Harman in South Shields, Miliband's seat, and the report said that Labour's main opponent there (in the by-election) seems to be UKIP and not Conservative.

claig Tue 30-Apr-13 19:27:35

' I'm not just referring to the so-called 'elite' (of whom you have no idea who they actually are)'

You are right, I don't know who the elite are, but what is indisputable is that they are progressive, are anti 'populist' and pro polar bear.

'How many minorities or non-white, non-heterosexual, non upper middle-class, males do you think will vote for UKIP? 3?'

No, lots more than 3. The Tories are worried about their vote deserting them for UKIP, but so is Labour in some areas and working class people move to UKIP. These working class people aren't progressives, most don't read the Guardian and are not fooled by spin.

Hundreds of thousnads of non-white, gay and working and middle class people want a referendum on Europe - this is not an exclusively white upper class issue. In fact, the upper class whites are probably more progressive and want to stay in Europe, want more carbon taxes for working people and benefit from the taxpayer subsidies to erect windmills on their landed estates.

MiniTheMinx Tue 30-Apr-13 18:58:04

And look.........they even make Nazis welcome within their party

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-22349676

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now