Homebase let cat out of the bag about using workfare to reduce wage bills

(140 Posts)
ttosca Fri 05-Apr-13 10:11:41

Only someone very naive could believe private firms are participating in the government’s workfare scheme because they want to provide work experience for unemployed people out of the goodness of their own hearts and not as a way of reducing their wage bills by using forced labour at taxpayers’ expense.

But ask any of them and they’ll swear the workfare people they’ve taken on are extra to their requirements and are not – repeat not – replacing jobs they would normally have had to pay someone a proper wage to do.

Well. It looks like Homebase have accidentally let the cat out of the bag.

Here’s a poster currently displayed on the wall in the manager’s office of Homebase Haringey – which clearly shows the company is using workfare as a means to reduce their payroll costs:

https://tompride.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/homebase-workfare.jpg?w=529&h=715

This is particularly interesting, as Homebase have recently been lying to telling the public they’re not participating in workfare at all. See my previous post about that here:

Homebase are so embarrassed about using workfare – they’re reduced to lying about it

Looks like Homebase just can’t stop themselves telling porky pies about workfare, doesn’t it?

https://tompride.wordpress.com/2013/04/05/oops-homebase-let-cat-out-of-the-bag-about-using-workfare-to-reduce-wage-bills/

claig Sat 06-Apr-13 01:30:43

't the jobs WERE there, Claig. Until governments of ALL colours '

good point, I agree with you. I am not in favour of it.

CouthySaysEatChoccyEggs Sat 06-Apr-13 01:31:09

The job WAS there, it NEEDED doing, the lad was already trained to do it, had been doing it FOR A FAIR WAGE.

What possible use was that 'training program' to someone who had already done that self same job for 18 months?!

It is nothing but indenture - 'working for food, clothing and a roof over your head'.

God, it's impossible to have a rational discussion with someone who can't see the irrationality of this!!

claig Sat 06-Apr-13 01:34:01

I said I am not in favour of it. I think they should be paid minimum wage.
I also think they should scrap the Climate Act. But they do as they please.

MiniTheMinx Sat 06-Apr-13 01:47:07

www.guardian.co.uk/media/2005/apr/01/pressandpublishing.secondworldwar

"Yet in the summer of 1939, Rothermere was still appealing to Hitler not to provoke a war, saying that Britain and Nazi Germany must remain at peace. "Our two great Nordic countries should pursue resolutely a policy of appeasement for, whatever anyone may say, our two great countries should be the leaders of the world," he told Joachim von Ribbentrop, Hitler's foreign minister, on July 7 1939"

What does this mean? well it is because of capitalist imperialism.

"He assured Hitler that the British government had "no policy which involves the encirclement of Germany, and that no British government could exist which embraced such a policy"

The term encirclement doesn't relate to troops but to imperialism, where by Britain, France and Germany were the industrialised power houses of the world. They not only exported goods, they controlled colonies for the appropriation of natural resources and cheap labour. They exported capital (finance capital) across the globe to exploit new markets and Rothermere being a capitalist was appealing to Hitler because he had commercial interests that would be effected by the break up of this tea party.

1) The concentration of production and capital developed to such an extent it creates monopolies.
2) The merging of bank capital with corporate capital= finance capital or financial oligarchy
3) The export of capital, which becomes important and is different to commodity export because it exploits other markets and doesn't actually benefit the country that is furthering the imperialist endevour.
4) Formation of international monopoly which share the worlds resources and markets amongst themselves
5)Territorial division of the world amongst the industrialised nations

Points 1-5 were not written yesterday but equally apply to today. They were written in 1917 by lenin and they make clear why the likes of Rothermere were keen to make deals with Hitler.

As a new home owner, I know where not to shop now, thank you for posting.

Whilst people are on workfare they are not actively seeking employment. They are not earning a living wage, or contributing to N.I which helps pay for NHS, pensions, maternity leave, the basic infrastructure that helps make this a good country to live in. .

Who shops in Homebase? Ordinary people, not millionaires, they profit from us, so hit them where it hurts.

I copied the poster to my fb page and tagged all my friends.

MiniTheMinx Sat 06-Apr-13 01:52:21

Are you going to persist in reading the mail claig?

I am still trying to find out if shell are using workfare.

MiniTheMinx your posts, as always, cut to the heart of the matter and give a very clear idea of where it is all going wrong.
Hopefully the message will start reaching further and deeper, as we, the people, face more hardship, due to the political and corporate elites wish to develop an easily controlled underclass, with which to fatten themselves.
For me, the recent Banksy scandel is a wonderful illustration.
Banksy does an art piece that critiques our capitalist/ imperialist system.
This is in a public place, very central to working class Londerners, which then one night, gets removed and shipped over to California, where it is to be auctioned. The outcry prevents the auctioning, but the piece is sitting in a warehouse in California, waiting for the furory to die down, then it, stolen goods, will be sold, making a profit for god knows.who and leaving the people of Wood Green bereft.
Because it didn't matter about removing it fron them, because, they, us, we, the people, count for nothing as far as the powerful wealthy people are concerned.

claig Sat 06-Apr-13 08:38:02

'Are you going to persist in reading the mail claig?'

I am a seeker of the truth, so of course I will continue to read the Mail.

claig Sat 06-Apr-13 09:12:08

There is a cracking article in the Mail today called "The Great Recycling Con".

It is classic Daily Mail. None of it is news to the Daily Mail reader, they are already well aware of the con tricks of the progressives and of "sofa government", but this article just embellishes their knowledge on this topic.

There is a picture of nine bins per household by a writer who is called "Social Affairs Correspondent".

The comments of the Daily Mail reader below the article are toxic, they are positively fuming about this con trick.

This is classic Daily Mail and the reason that it is known as the people's paper and is beloved by the people and hated by the progressives.

claig Sat 06-Apr-13 09:18:44

One astute comment of a Daily Mail reader is the pithy, succint line

"You just can't trust anyone these days can you?"

Brilliant. That is why we read the people's paper, for nuggets like that. There is no other paper like it on the planet, which is why it is the world's leading online paper.

Blimey Couthy, Tesco clearly have no shame.
Saying that i don't know why it surprises me as Tesco took on my dh for a paid seasonal role, when he applied, but in the Job Advertisement failed to mention or state of was only a 10 day position angry!!!
He then had to take the job as he got it, they stopped our jsa immediately the week before he started, yet he didn't receive his wages until a month later. Our hb was also stopped straight away.
So for a whole month we couldn't pay any rent and lived of the child tax credits & maintenance. We went overdrawn by £300 in this time to pay all our utility bills.

Was a very worrying time, and what sucks is that Tesco promised there was a chance of a permanent job for dh when the 10 days had passed and guess what they offered him a bloody job alrite!!!- a fucking 8hr a week position, which of course he couldn't accept as we couldn't have supported our family on that, as you have to do 24hrs plus to obtain working tax cred or any help with hb etc.

They finally restarted our claim of jsa and hb, after a month

MiniTheMinx Sat 06-Apr-13 10:39:27

MaggieMaggieMaggieMcGill Thank you, I didn't know about Banksy, must google and do some reading. I feel very strongly about the democratisation of art and culture. Too much of our culture is now stolen from us and sold back to us, either that or it is generated in an effort to obscure the truth.

ttosca Sat 06-Apr-13 13:59:18

Homebase criticised over work experience claims

Leaked internal document appears to promote the use of unpaid jobseekers to reduce company payroll costs

www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/apr/06/homebase-criticised-work-experience-claims#_

Darkesteyes Sun 07-Apr-13 22:59:17

Two days before the start of the Easter bank holiday, nearby Finsbury Park jobcentre tweeted that it had successfully placed 21 people in the Haringey store to gain experience. The tweet was later deleted

Oh how handy. Two days before the biggest decorating holiday of the year.

I am about to attempt decorating for the very first time (DHs health wont allow him to do it) we are discussing me making a start in May [gulp] Because of this and my own experiences of workfare in the past i know where we WONT be buying materials from.

Couthy that story about the young lad on the dairy counter absolutely disgusts me.

Also if you want to make claimants to work on the roads they HAVE to be waged otherwise they are being treated like a prison change gang.

Darkesteyes Sun 07-Apr-13 23:00:24

Sorry i meant prison chain gang.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now