Petition Against The Bedroom Tax

(12 Posts)
lovethegarden Sat 02-Mar-13 11:11:48

applied for housing benefit for spare room .just received a knockback from eastbourne borough council as whilst they agree that bedroom is used by a carer on a regular basis it is mainly for my children & its not them making the housing benefit claim (there is a supervision order in place as a result of my ill health!)they have kindly enclosed a form for a discretionary housing payment! I AM COMPLETELY GOBSMACKED anyone got any suggestions

vonzo75 Fri 15-Feb-13 23:13:41

This petition needs to be emailed to all friends and family.5 ppl i know have signed it

vonzo75 Fri 15-Feb-13 23:11:42

There are not enough properties to downsize to.This government are so thick, good luck to all the councils who will have to take their tenants to court for non payment.People are not just going to lie down and take this..i myself wont be affected but i will be by council tax benefit reduction.I cant afford to eat now,never mind in April.Do this government think im going to be a good girl and pay all my bills whilst slowly starving to death.I think not.Food comes first for me not this greedy government.

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 11-Feb-13 10:43:55

It's not pedantic. This is a reduction in council tax benefit rather than an extra tax per se .... although the Labour Party spin doctors have done well to cement the phrase. The allocation of social housing is something that needs to be tackled. Whether this is the right way to do it is debatable - and I'm sure some people upthread are creaming their pants anticipating another poll tax riot situation - but it's definitely not a tax.

2old2beamum Mon 11-Feb-13 10:04:36

Don't be so pedantic when peoples lives are going ruined.

flatpackhamster Mon 11-Feb-13 09:06:08

It's not a tax.

ttosca Sun 10-Feb-13 13:27:37

‘There appears to be no dispute between the parties about the consequences of charging Council Tax to the poorest and most vulnerable members of society.

‘A report to Cabinet dated 10 July 2012, authorised by Mr Stuart Young, Assistant Chief Executive at Haringey, states

‘”Needless to say it is my belief that this represents one of the most appalling policies of the government and it is not insignificant that the unemployed will now be facing the prospect of having to pay 20% local taxation levels, which they were last subjected to under the Poll Tax.’

‘This is likely to amount to an average additional burden of £5pw, which when put alongside cuts to Working Families Tax Credit, changes to Housing Benefits, and the introduction of Universal Credit is, in my view, likely to have a disastrous impact on the levels of child poverty.”

- Councillor Goldberg states in the report to Full Council on 17 January 2013

“It goes without saying that the actions of the Government with regards to the abolition of Council Tax Benefit are extremely misguided, both in practice and principle.

‘It is important to note that this new tax on the lowest paid households will hit them on the same day as many will be impacted by the overall benefits cap and further cuts to tax credits and other benefits”

blacktrianglecampaign.org/2013/02/10/judge-rules-against-council-tax-challenge-by-single-mum-plunged-into-abject-poverty-in-haringey/

ttosca Sun 10-Feb-13 13:18:56

Here's a FB page if you want to see what's happening and get involved in some protests:

https://www.facebook.com/AbolishBedroomTaxOrPrepareForBritainsCivilWar2013?ref=stream

2old2beamum Sat 09-Feb-13 15:13:34

Done. Thanks

ttosca I think you are right

ttosca Thu 07-Feb-13 17:08:40

There's going to be a lot more happening than a petition, I can tell you that.

MiniTheMinx Sun 03-Feb-13 23:24:57

Just signed, thank you

SameDifference Sun 03-Feb-13 16:43:10

Hi I'm new, I found a petition against the Bedroom Tax and thought it might interest people here samedifference1.com/2013/02/03/help-for-victims-of-bedroom-tax-the-e-petition/ … …

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now