"The EDL is not a racist group"

(64 Posts)
IrrelevantElephant Sat 22-Dec-12 23:50:42

Please please don't flame me. DPs best friend is a fairly senior member of the EDL. Every time we get into a discussion about race/racism, DP defends his mate. Says there are senior people in the EDL who are black etc.

I'm not smart. I'm not well educated. But I know EDL is wrong. I would appreciate help to defend my views.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sun 23-Dec-12 00:40:51

Knowing and feeling someone is wrong is different to articulating it.

IrrelevantElephant Sun 23-Dec-12 00:42:30

Yes- I didn't post in AIBU. I posted in politics, because I thought I would get an instant reply of "they did X on Y date and said they supported X too" .
Instead me and DP got slated. I am trying to change things. Really trying to buck a trend, and it may or may not work, but I want to try.

Anyway- have had a bottle of wine and now might not be the time anyway. I'm probably not making much sense,
Will try and phrase things logically tomorrow, and will reread responses. Thanks to those who helped.

BeataNoxPotter Sun 23-Dec-12 00:43:19

I think the Op sounds articulate. I think she should give it a go, or just tell him he's a thick racist twat and he's no longer welcome in her house or at social gatherings.

IrrelevantElephant Sun 23-Dec-12 00:43:32

MMOC - yes. I know and feel it is wrong. I can't articulate it. That's what I wanted help with. Thanks for seeing that.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sun 23-Dec-12 00:48:06

Maresdotes's link is good and pithy.

I could do with a quick riposte to the black "leader" issue though.

usualsuspect3 Sun 23-Dec-12 00:48:36

When the EDL came to my very multi -culture city to stir up racial hatred, they shouted abuse at the sikhs wearing turbans because they thought they were muslims.

See, thick and racist.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sun 23-Dec-12 00:50:23

I do apologise for my original google comment, I would have thought it obvious but that was cheap.

BeataNoxPotter Sun 23-Dec-12 00:51:30

OP, just break up their name for a start.

English - who's truly 'English'. Get him to research his family tree back further than a couple of generations.

Defence - from who? Don't be ridiculous.

League - they're not really that, come on. It just sounds a bit old-fashioned and Cape-y.

They are violent asshats. Your best #explanation# is to turn your back on them and walk away.

BeataNoxPotter Sun 23-Dec-12 00:56:25

They cleared our town centre due to the fear of violence, usual sad.

You want friends like that, OP? Really?

usualsuspect3 Sun 23-Dec-12 00:59:30

They did my town too, fucking horrible it was.

But we countered them with the hope not hate day, Billy Bragg made an appearance so it was all good in the end.

Still scary though.

nailak Sun 23-Dec-12 01:01:58

there isnt a rational discussion of the EDL coz the EDL aren't rational.

go on you tube there are plenty of vids look here is a muslim edl member youtu.be/7kC7xF5CHVI sure they cant be anti islam then!

have you seen the videos of there protests? here are them attacking a chicken shop youtu.be/WD5rHx9iKPQ would you be associated with that sort of violence?

IrrelevantElephant Sun 23-Dec-12 01:21:01

Nailak - thank you. Didn't finish watching the first clip, but watched the 2nd. It made me feel sick. DP's views of the EDL is that they are logical, well thought out, opposors of extremism. Not racist, just wanting to protect England. He genuinely believes that, from what he has been told by a man that he trusts.
DP is not a racist man- he is kind, and lovely. I dont want to "LTB" thanks, I want to teach end educate him.
Your clip made them look nothing more than football hooligans. I was scared just watching it. That's the sort of behaviour I wanted to how him they were capable of.

nailak Sun 23-Dec-12 01:27:41

their oops too late at night,

has your dp seen the videos of protests? maybe he should go to one and see what they are about?

usualsuspect3 Sun 23-Dec-12 01:29:13

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

nailak Sun 23-Dec-12 01:29:52

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Oppose-Extreme-Thickness-Oppose-The-EDL/160659503979060?fref=ts

here is a nice fb page, the admin searches out all their bile and posts it.

nailak Sun 23-Dec-12 01:32:09
CogitOCrapNotMoreSprouts Sun 23-Dec-12 18:06:42

This is pretty typical of EDL racism.... link

Supporters, masked-up behind the cross of St George for cowardly anonymity, making a very big deal about the 'domination of Isam' and protesting against something that is not going to be in the statute books any time soon i.e. Sharia Law. This kind of stereotyping, prejudice and incitement is racism .

The 'they're not racist, some of them are black' defence is utter bollocks. Your DP needs to do a lot better than that! Has he explained why he agrees with the EDL? Ask him which of their ideas he agrees with- he either knows fuck all about them or he's a racist. Let's hope it's the former.

I can't think of the EDL now without thinking of the muslamic rayguns bloke. He pretty much sums up the EDL for me- thuggish and stupid.

suburbophobe Sun 23-Dec-12 18:28:55

I wouldn't even give these type of people the time of day, frankly.

mercibucket Sun 23-Dec-12 18:32:03

It's really unhelpful to fall back on the 'thick racists' card.
Op, I don't know much about the organisation itself but their supporters can be very intimidating at rallies - if you look at newspaper reports of places they've held marches, there are lots of examples.
Interestingly, often it is the anti-EDL supporters who end up getting arrested. Often on police evidence that is later contradicted by video evidence. Make of that what you will.
I spoke to the EDL people who were leafleting our area a while ago. They were making a big thing of the Asian grooming trial that was happening at that time. Their argument was along the lines of 'white girls/muslim paedophiles'. Imo that was one reason why it wasn't tackled for so long - fear of being politically incorrect. But this is one of many many cases of young girls being exploited - and in the vast majority of cases by white men. Prisons are not full of muslim paedophiles/sex offenders.
Another EDL argument is about sharia courts. Again, there is a grain of truth to this and imo it is not a welcome development for women's rights. However, we are not in any danger of having sharia law.
I'm sorry that's not very helpful. I hope some other posters will try to engage with your topic rather than shouting it down.

ironman Sun 23-Dec-12 18:33:46

So what if your hubby has a friend in the EDL. Surely the poor mans entitled to have whatever friends he likes. The EDL was set up originally because of insults thrown at a group of returning soldiers by a bunch of fanatics. It's not surprise that the EDL was set up in Luton, as some of the people of this town got upset with the 35 mosques that were built.

It's no surprise here on MN most things are taken as racist, it goes with MN territory. That and self-righteous hectoring. grin

BeataNoxPotter Sun 23-Dec-12 18:37:38

Why did they get upset about 35 mosques being built? Would they have been upset about 35 Christian Churches being built?

mercibucket Sun 23-Dec-12 18:37:46

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/9621319/Sharia-courts-as-consensual-as-rape-House-of-Lords-told.html

This is an article about sharia courts in the UK. It was debated in the House of Lords. It is not an 'exclusive to the EDL' argument.

mercibucket Sun 23-Dec-12 18:37:46

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/9621319/Sharia-courts-as-consensual-as-rape-House-of-Lords-told.html

This is an article about sharia courts in the UK. It was debated in the House of Lords. It is not an 'exclusive to the EDL' argument.

ironman Sun 23-Dec-12 18:39:02

mercibucket. The Anti Nazi League are intimidating as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now