"The EDL is not a racist group"

(64 Posts)
IrrelevantElephant Sat 22-Dec-12 23:50:42

Please please don't flame me. DPs best friend is a fairly senior member of the EDL. Every time we get into a discussion about race/racism, DP defends his mate. Says there are senior people in the EDL who are black etc.

I'm not smart. I'm not well educated. But I know EDL is wrong. I would appreciate help to defend my views.

usualsuspect3 Sat 22-Dec-12 23:51:47

Tell him to fuck off.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sat 22-Dec-12 23:52:28

Do you google?

If there are black leaders of the EDL, I'm sure you'll find them.

I'm assuming you do use google and can't find any. So who are these senior people?

maresedotes Sat 22-Dec-12 23:54:45

As far as I can tell they are anti-Islam and blame Muslims for most things. May not be racist but not the nicest bunch of people.

ouryve Sat 22-Dec-12 23:55:30

I'd laugh my socks off if that sentiment didn't make me want to cry.

IrrelevantElephant Sat 22-Dec-12 23:58:35

I googled. I remember seeing one black guy on the news a while
back (leader of the London EDL) defending it?

I just know that I'm going to get challenged on my views a lot, and that I am in a position to educate. DP knows only what he has been told. I would hugely appreciate if someone could give me information/links to educate both of us.

usualsuspect3 Sat 22-Dec-12 23:58:54

They are racist cunts.

usualsuspect3 Sat 22-Dec-12 23:59:18

Just tell him that.

IrrelevantElephant Sun 23-Dec-12 00:05:19

That's not going to help because he doesn't BELIEVE it. He believes the friend he has known since he was 12. Can someone please
Just link me to info of EDL and racism. I know it's like asking for info about the pope being Catholic, but I can only
Find generic sites (Wikipedia etc) and would
Appreciate news stories etc.

Please understand I have come here for HELP.
Not judgement. I want to change a mans views, and proof can help that. That's what I want.

BeataNoxPotter Sun 23-Dec-12 00:06:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BeataNoxPotter Sun 23-Dec-12 00:07:02

maresedotes Sun 23-Dec-12 00:10:58

Someone once said "convince a man against his will he's of the same opinion still". You could show him news stories, links etc but is he interested in finding out about the EDL or is he going to believe his friend regardless?

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sun 23-Dec-12 00:14:16

Ah now this is difficult if there is a leader of the London EDL who is black.

I'm absolutely amazed at that, tbh.

But that would seem to make your DP feel he is justified. I agree with you though! I hope you get a more rational argument, I don't have enough to keep you going on this one.

scottishmummy Sun 23-Dec-12 00:16:03

in time its taken to compose post you could be on google

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sun 23-Dec-12 00:19:44

Or maybe we could have a rational discussion here? One which is interactive instead of google?

maresedotes Sun 23-Dec-12 00:22:55
usualsuspect3 Sun 23-Dec-12 00:24:09

There is no rational discussion regarding the EDL.

They are a bunch of thick racist twats.

maresedotes Sun 23-Dec-12 00:26:11

Sorry MaryMotherofCheeses but the op wants to show facts and to be able to argue against the EDL. Thought this link might help.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sun 23-Dec-12 00:26:42

Yes I know they're thick, racist twats.

Let's help the OP defend this view.

my original assumption that there were no black leaders appears to be wrong for example.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sun 23-Dec-12 00:27:34

Maresdotes, x posts!

IrrelevantElephant Sun 23-Dec-12 00:31:29

Thanks mares that's the sort of thing I wanted.

For me, a google search of EDL brought up
1) EDL website
2) Wikipedia- seemed fairly generic. It said EDL were far right but did not outline the atrocities I believe them to be capable of.
3) EDL news site
4) Huntington post- local news site about Muslims being scared for their shops? Did not explain what EDL protestors had done
5) Huggington post- as above.

If I could have got my answer from google, I would have. What I wanted was an educated, not patronising opinion to help me and DP explain to others why EDL needs to be stopped. The sort of people I could discuss this with aren't going to do anything if I say "oh just google it". Help me form a coherent and logical argument as to why a loving neighbourly person would oppose the EDL.
PLEASE

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sun 23-Dec-12 00:37:03

I'm sorry, I was in full AIBU mode. I rarely MN but should know better. Really must hide that topic, it winds me up.

You are right in wanting to defend your views.

IrrelevantElephant Sun 23-Dec-12 00:38:11

*Usual suspect*- WHY isn't there rational discussion of the EDL? DPs mate can say in a very rational tone that the EDL is there to challenge Muslim extremism. He says he acknowledges the majority of Muslim aren't extremist, but says that anyone who researches the EDL views and still disagrees with them is therefore an Extremist.

I KNOW this is wrong. I know it. And I'm sure you can challenge him well in a discussion, but I can't. Not without help. I don't know where to start.

usualsuspect3 Sun 23-Dec-12 00:38:57

Frankly I wouldn't waste my breath explaining why the EDL need to be stopped. If you need it explaining to you, you are as bad as them.

BeataNoxPotter Sun 23-Dec-12 00:40:07

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now