Police commissioner elections: I'm spoiling my paper

(110 Posts)
Cartoonjane Wed 07-Nov-12 20:39:18

What a lot of popycock this is. It seems to me to be a leaflet making competition as I don't know any of the candidates. I have decided to spoil my paper.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 16-Nov-12 08:29:16

I don't agree with the assessment that it's sloughing off responsibility. The Police Commisioner replaces the largely anonymous and appointed Police Authority.... anyone know who theirs was? Why should someone parachuted in by Westminster be managing matters in Durham or Carlisle? As for the low turn-out, I suspect that once the new commissioners are in place & making themselves visible we will have much stronger views about who is suitable for the job next time around.

Solopower1 Fri 16-Nov-12 07:18:26

Police Commissioner elected in Wiltshire on 7% of vote (15% turnout, according to the BBC). How democratic is that?

What is the point? The only thing I can think of is that the govt (again) just wants to slough off responsibility for everything and anything that can go wrong. So they massively cut the police force and then when crime starts to rise again, they will try to wash their hands of the consequences by pretending that it's our fault because we have elected the wrong Commissioner.

Welovecouscous Thu 15-Nov-12 18:29:30

Still spoiling mine!

stillsmarting Thu 15-Nov-12 16:56:55

Should be a good turnout round here, because we have a by-election, a town council election and the Police Commissioner election. Can we stand this much excitement in one day?

laughtergoodmedicine Thu 15-Nov-12 13:42:15

Local BBC radio, local papers and national papers covered these elections. You probably wont get the knock on the door. The areas covered can be enormous. It will be a low poll; but councillors get elected on small turn out consistently. Voting is either like us Voluntary; or like the Aussies compulsory. Thats the big question.

Extrospektiv Thu 15-Nov-12 12:50:16

nice to see Labour electoral fraud, anti-UKIP extremism, tory bashing and the usual leftist drivel.

and someone doesn't understand subsidiarity.

DanFmDorking Wed 14-Nov-12 14:38:36

How to vote in the PCC elections

Polling stations are open from 7am until 10pm on Thurs 15 November.

1. In the three force areas where just two candidates are standing - (Dyfed-Powys, North Yorkshire and Staffordshire) - you will have the familiar "first past the post" ballot paper.
You are expected to vote for just one PCC candidate.

2. In all the other force areas, where there are more than two candidates, the PCC elections are held under a system called the supplementary vote.
You will be given a ballot paper with two columns.

2.1 In the left column, voters choose their first preference for PCC;
in the right, voters choose their second preference.

2.2 Voters can choose to mark just one preference, using the left column only.

Please vote.

stillsmarting Tue 13-Nov-12 12:57:04

Tempting thought. Our Labour Candidate has been told he can't stand because of a 22 year old conviction, but his name will probably still be on the ballot paper. Might vote for him anyway.

Solopower1 Sun 11-Nov-12 18:26:51

Since we have to do this, it makes sense to elect someone who is going to make sure that all meetings and dealings with lobbyists and private contrators will be published. At the moment the successful Labour candidates have promised to do this; imo it's important for all the candidates to do it too.

www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/nov/09/yvette-cooper-labour-police-chiefs

Donki Sat 10-Nov-12 18:17:28

I am spoiling my ballot.

I cannot for the life of me see how a single elected Police Commissioner for the police force over a wide area (depending on the force) can possibly be more democratic than the police authority.

The Police Authority was made up of a majority (9/17) of elected councillors (so accountable to the electorate) who can represent the different areas for which the police force is responsible. i.e. both rural and urban areas have a voice (for example).

In addtion the remaining 8 members of the authority are independents co-opted by the authority from the communities it serve for their knowledge of both policing and the communities served.

The Police Authority wasn't a perfect system, but looking at the States, I think a single elected political commissioner is a much worse option.

1) I wish to make my opinion known (and yes, I will write to my MP)
2) I do not wish to lend legitimacy to such a deeply flawed process.

DanFmDorking Sat 10-Nov-12 18:01:08

Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote.

RuleBritannia Sat 10-Nov-12 17:38:57

Yes, thank you, LtEveDallas for the link. At last, I've discovered who all my candidates are (Thames Valley). So far we've had only one single page newspaper from the Conservative candidate and no one else but the write ups on the Internet about each one's past is very useful and I now have a choice of UKIP or Independent.

MegTheCat Sat 10-Nov-12 12:42:31

This was a really useful discussion - I was going to spoil my ballot paper or not bother but have now researched the local candidates - Thanks for the link LtEveDallas- I plan to vote for the ones seem like they have appropriate experience and views to do a good job and also think the elections are a rubbish idea and the post shouldn't be political. Even some of the ones affiliated to political parties make that point.
One of the candidates made the following comment about leafleting: The fact is that the cost of leafleting 2.6 million people would cost a minimum of £72,000 just to print them, and the cost of delivery many times that. To raise money to send leaflets would involve me taking money from wealthy business people or vested interests, and I’m not prepared to do that. They are covering much bigger areas then your normal elections so makes sense.

gallicgirl Sat 10-Nov-12 12:32:12

I was going to spoil my ballot until I saw there's an EDL candidate so now I have to vote.

OverlyWordyHurdyGurdy Sat 10-Nov-12 12:24:05

The local UKIP candidate's surname is Shatwell.

Says it all, really.

alreadytaken Sat 10-Nov-12 12:15:51

Have only recently realised that the voting system being adopted means I have to find TWO choices - even less publicity given to that than to the candidates.

Solopower1 Sat 10-Nov-12 11:41:01

And the amount of time and money this is costing someone ...

Solopower1 Sat 10-Nov-12 11:40:29

Another thing that is disturbing about this is that the people most likely to vote, ie older people, often can't access information online, and the helpline doesn't help.

www.pressdisplay.com/pressdisplay/viewer.aspx

Bilbobagginstummy Sat 10-Nov-12 05:46:27

I am another who was shocked that the candidates are standing with a party political label. I do not want (even more) politicisation of the system.

The independents here are not credible and there is no way I'm voting for a party politician so I will not be voting.

NadiaWadia Sat 10-Nov-12 04:24:07

We had the polling cards a few weeks ago. But no leaflets from candidates, no information whatsoever. I thought there was a booklet thing you were supposed to get explaining the process?

Tigerbomb Sat 10-Nov-12 02:52:35

I don't wish to vote for any of the candidates in my area.

I would like a "None of the above" option

piprabbit Sat 10-Nov-12 01:58:33

Thanks for posting the links to the website about candidates.
I've had a look and will be voting for one of the independent candidates, who sounds like a very capable and sensible woman.

nepkoztarsasag Sat 10-Nov-12 01:50:30

The whole idea is Tory drivel and I am not going to vote - if you oppose the idea, you should abstain rather than spoil because this will be killed by low turnout.

If directly elected local commissioners are a good idea, why stop at policing?

Why not a locally elected tax commissioner to determine the top rate of income tax?

Why not a locally elected schools commissioner to decide how schools should be run?

Because they might come up with the wrong answer....

Cartoonjane Fri 09-Nov-12 15:58:14

I think lots of people are going to spoil for this election. I know a few who have done so already with their postal vote. It would be great if there was a significant number of spoilers in my view.

avivabeaver Fri 09-Nov-12 15:16:40

i was not going to vote

then i discovered that one of the candidates here is co-founder of EDL, so now i have to go and vote to cancel out at least one of the feckers who will vote for him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now