Police commissioner elections: I'm spoiling my paper

(110 Posts)
Cartoonjane Wed 07-Nov-12 20:39:18

What a lot of popycock this is. It seems to me to be a leaflet making competition as I don't know any of the candidates. I have decided to spoil my paper.

Narked Thu 08-Nov-12 17:26:53

And you know what always makes things more fair and accountable - introducing party politics!

Plomino Thu 08-Nov-12 17:54:23

I have plenty of thoughts on the whole issue . However , seeing as I have been forbidden to share them , I will have to keep my opinions to myself .

giraffe213 Thu 08-Nov-12 18:09:30

I don't think spoiling your paper will make any difference compared to staying at home, really. I'd be very surprised if there was a majority of spoilt papers anywhere, so it will basically be a wasted opportunity. It shouldn't be too hard to find out some basic information on the internet and then make a decision based on that, if only to keep out those you like the least.

One independent candidate put a leaflet through my door but my understanding is that it's supposed to be internet-only.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EdgarAllanPond Thu 08-Nov-12 18:17:13

i would vote against having a vote on this.

policing shouldn't be a political football.

AvengingGerbil Thu 08-Nov-12 18:18:02

You can spoil you papers but you will still have an elected police commissioner. Only you will not have helped select her.

If you want to protest the system, write to your MP.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 08-Nov-12 18:23:02

Policing is already a political football when it should be serving the community. We're the community...

EdgarAllanPond Thu 08-Nov-12 18:45:29

"
Policing is already a political football when it should be serving the community."

this is true. however the commisioners system doesn't work all that well for the US, does it?

mercibucket Thu 08-Nov-12 18:55:20

I am also spoiling mine. This means I am an active citizen, as noone gives a toss what the non-voters believe/care/think, and I shall be able to write my opinion on the paper, the only time I remember being asked about commissioners.
Only a politician would think adding politics to policing would make it better. Everyone else thinks politicians are liars, thieves and twats

mercibucket Thu 08-Nov-12 18:55:20

I am also spoiling mine. This means I am an active citizen, as noone gives a toss what the non-voters believe/care/think, and I shall be able to write my opinion on the paper, the only time I remember being asked about commissioners.
Only a politician would think adding politics to policing would make it better. Everyone else thinks politicians are liars, thieves and twats

nametakenagain Thu 08-Nov-12 18:59:31

Just cos the current system isn't perfect, doesn't mean that this is the right course of action, cogito

lljkk Thu 08-Nov-12 19:01:30

I have voted but I do think it's a waste of money & time. DC off school for the election, too. hmm

yogabird Thu 08-Nov-12 19:02:20

wasn't sure at all about this but used the link - thanks LtEveDallas and now feel ready to decide and take part. You can't not vote or spoil and then moan about who the others have chosen smile

OddBoots Thu 08-Nov-12 19:03:27

I completely disagree with this election but as we have a 'British Freedom' (AKA EDL) candidate I will be voting as apathy could let him in and he is really not the kind of man I would want heading our police.

RedToothbrush Thu 08-Nov-12 19:32:37

We were unaware there was an election coming up. Ballot papers and publicity were so late, its meant my DH is now disenfranchised as he is out of the country for a month and won't be able to make alternative agreements to vote.

I would probably either vote for an good independent candidate or spoil my ballot.

Some of the none Lab/Lib/Con candidates are truly dreadful. One for Merseyside makes my blood boil by saying:
"Police will be recruited on merit alone and the St George’s Flag will be flown above police stations at all times."
followed the wonderful
"50% of my salary will be given to the Hillsborough Justice Campaign."

I'm not sure if its worse to have candidates of that calibre or the ones where there are just two mainstream candidates with having the wonderfully descriptive manifesto of "I will oppose all the other party's policies".

Total fiasco, and it'll do nothing to achieve the goal of making the police accountable for anything at all. If you want that keep parties out of it completely and actually force them to have some policies rather than relying on football supporter voter mentality.

trice Thu 08-Nov-12 19:33:31

I object to mixing policing and politics. I have spoiled.

Politicians are too keen on the quick fix.

DameFanny Thu 08-Nov-12 19:36:46

I've already voted by post - for the local candidate who's on the record stating they think its a huge waste of time and money - so at least they won't be milking it for expenses

mercibucket Thu 08-Nov-12 19:37:08

The extremist thing is precisely the danger of this kind of stupid policy with zero publicity for candidates. It also reminds me of the time I was given a questionnaire and asked to prioritise about 15 policing targets, ranging from anti-terrorism to vandalism. Why would my uninformed opinion be useful in any way? I would rather an actual trained police officer made an informed decision, thank you. But I'd rather decide than some fourth rate politician

serengetty Thu 08-Nov-12 19:43:31

I worked with our candidate. Rude, entitled, homophobic, disorganised, useless are the words that come to mind. Wont be voting.

PrincessSymbian Thu 08-Nov-12 19:58:17

If everyone thinks that politicians are liars, thieves and twats, then why are we all not doing something about it!
If that is the kind of person our current political system attracts, then surely we should be working to change it, non?

iseenodust Thu 08-Nov-12 20:39:34

The reason you haven't seen many leaflets is because in a general election central money funds a posted leaflet for each candidate. This is an expense too far for these elections so if you get a leaflet either the candidate or their party has put their hand in their pocket - which you could perceive as tough on the independents (especially given the size of the areas covered).

If all politicians are **s then vote for an independent. There are a lot of them standing:

info on candidates in all areas

This is coming and the best way to influence it is to vote - this time it will just take a little more research. If you have a really strong view apply to be an independent member of the police and crime panel in your area - they will scrutinise the comissioner's performance.

NotDrowning Thu 08-Nov-12 20:39:51

Useful thread! I have now read up about local candidates and had a think about who to vote for. Excluding all those who mentioned 'bobbies on the beat' made that a little easier.

Jinsei Thu 08-Nov-12 20:43:35

Oh shit! Forgot to vote! What an idiot! angry

iseenodust Thu 08-Nov-12 20:46:53

Jinsei voting is next Thurs.

ISpyPlumPie Thu 08-Nov-12 21:05:09

Thanks for the link LtEveDallas. Will be voting for the only candidate who mentions DV/child exploitation as a priority. The others seem a bit hang 'em and flog 'em. Am I right in thinking that even though there's an option to choose a second preference, your paper is still counted if you only vote for one candidate?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now