police commissioners

(32 Posts)
alreadytaken Wed 24-Oct-12 11:11:44

can anyone explain to me why I should not spoil the ballot paper in protest at a waste of money?

TheBeetle Wed 07-Nov-12 14:36:22

Many candidates, whilst standing for parties have very little funding. In South Yorkshire candidates are operating on very little against a Labour candidate funded by the unions, Party, Branches etc.

This is very important since he is by and large expected to win. Unfortunately, he was the Cabinet Member for Children and Young People's services at the time of the Rotherham grooming scandal where over a hundred young girls were systematically sexually abused by gangs of males.

He continues to defend this in various ways, suggesting it is a national problem, but Ofsted reported services under his directorate as "Poor" in 2009.

This is largely being withheld from the public by a biased local press.

It is therefore crucial, that whatever part of the country you are in you do some investigation into your candidate and more importantly ensure you act to make sure those you would not want in charge are not elected due to your apathy.

Use the home office website http://www.choosemypcc.org.uk/ and find your candidates and read carefully what they say and everything else you can find out about them.

Good policing is vital to keeping our children safe. A police Commissioner will play a huge part in that by targeting resources at Child Protection, grooming, trafficking etc.

edam Wed 07-Nov-12 14:42:48

Thanks for the link iseenodust. AIBU if I cast my vote against the first candidate I've looked at, who used 'less' when it should have been fewer? grin

Goodness only knows what the whole thing will achieve. Seems a half-arsed idea that has happened somehow without much actual thought (bit of a theme with this govt.) Probably a waste of money as well. But I will vote, because I was brought up by people who drummed it into my head that we were jolly lucky to have the right and people had died for it and so on.

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 07-Nov-12 14:54:14

@edam... YANBU. Someone that careless with grammar has probably got unclean habits.

iseenodust Wed 07-Nov-12 16:24:51

The BBC is running regional programmes tonight on candidates / the role. 7.30pm or find on iplayer after kids' bedtime.

edam Wed 07-Nov-12 19:11:09

One of the most disturbing aspects of all this is how badly represented women are. Only a tiny minority of candidates are women. And when you look at crimes that disproportionately affect women, like domestic violence, it's unlikely that a politician who depends on winning the popular vote is going to focus on that area. Rape and DV services may be neglected or lose funding in this new system. I hope I'm wrong about that, but it is a real worry.

iseenodust Wed 07-Nov-12 21:59:59

The BBC programme was a disappointment. Not much enlightened discussion and when it went to regional the candidates from Lincolnshire got to say a sentence each and the ones for Humberside didn't appear.

edam I have to say DV is one of the things that has been mentioned by some candidates, quite a few have chosen to focus on victims of crime.

picketywick Thu 22-Nov-12 12:26:38

Our PCC was on the radio , making decisions, theday after he was elected.
Seems determined to make a difference. Time will tell

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now