EU Gets the Peace Prize

(5 Posts)
somebloke123 Tue 16-Oct-12 10:42:09

Good point - time to scrap it. It has become utterly tarnished, and not just by this recent fiasco. I remember many years ago Tom Lehrer saying he was giving up writing his songs, since satire died when Henry Kissinger was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.

UnimaginitiveDadThemedUsername Tue 16-Oct-12 10:28:10

The Nobel Prize for Economics isn't a 'proper' Nobel (it wasn't a topic in Alfred Nobel's bequest).

It's a prize given on behalf of a major Swedish bank, who put up the prize money and bribe pay the Nobel Committee to use their name and award the thing.

somebloke123 Mon 15-Oct-12 10:43:50

Shows the Norwegians have a sense of humour. They have shown this previously by awarding it to Henry Kissinger, Yassir Arafat and Barak Obama (the last one after he had been in the White House for at least 5 minutes).

But while they were at it they could have given the EU the Nobel Prize for Economics at the same time. That would please the Greeks no end.

UnimaginitiveDadThemedUsername Sat 13-Oct-12 14:21:11

I agree.

Far too many people take our period of peace with fellow EU members for granted.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 13-Oct-12 10:59:03

article

A 60+ year record of peace between nations that had spent the previous centuries trying to wipe each other off the face of the earth at the cost of millions of lives is recognised by the Nobel committee. I think it's a fine achievement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now