The Ant and The Grasshopper - was the ant in the right?

(16 Posts)
MrsWembley Wed 10-Oct-12 14:04:03

Thank-you, somebloke, that was beautiful!

No-one's got the reference yet, though! confused

somebloke123 Wed 10-Oct-12 10:11:33

And an insight from James Joyce:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABTVuYkY39I

MrsWembley Wed 10-Oct-12 09:25:54

The particular ant I'm thinking of offered help but with strings attached - kind of a 'sing for your supper' I suppose. The ant then got berated and abused for suggesting anything of the sort. I must admit I felt sorry for the ant (a new feeling for this particular self-righteous cow ant) and felt she would have been perfectly within her rights to say to the grasshoppers 'fuck you, I'm off'.

Still wondering why she didn't.

EverybodysSpookyEyed Wed 10-Oct-12 09:01:08

If they have failed to provide due to foolishness then they should be made to sing for their supper!

Was the ant not identifying that the grasshopper had a talent he did not and they made a trade on that basis?

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 10-Oct-12 08:53:59

It would be immoral to let anyone starve. However, it would also be immoral to encourage idleness. Obviously this mirrors the 'what is welfare for' debate at the moment.

MrsWembley Wed 10-Oct-12 08:20:02

But isn't it also immoral to refuse to help those who have failed to contribute through their own foolishness and see them starve for want of a little of the plenty that those with foresight and a different ethic have saved?

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 10-Oct-12 07:09:03

In a society where everyone is equally capable of making a contribution it's immoral to deliberately choose idleness. The idle can therefore expect to suffer. If a section of society is incapable of making a contribution it's immoral for others not to offer assistance. If the only contribution you can make is singing, that's what you should expect to do.

MrsWembley Tue 09-Oct-12 20:55:46

What! Nobody!??? I thought this board was for political discussion... hmm

I didn't want to spoon feed either. I really hoped someone would get the analogy. sad Sometimes it's easier discussing a problem if we do it in terms of stories. Is the ant in the story right to say 'fuck off, you should have prepared for bad times' or should he say, 'here, I'll help you out now, but you have to sing for your supper'.

MrsWembley Tue 09-Oct-12 17:01:13

Who are the careful ants and who are the lazy singing, carefree grasshoppers?

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 09-Oct-12 16:21:48

Isn't that 'A Bug's Life'?

Gigondas Tue 09-Oct-12 16:15:01

Isn't it the story of the careful ants who work in the summer to prepare for winter and the carefree grasshopper who doesn't and then gets caught in cold by not preparing .

Wasn't listening to radio so no idea what you are alluding to.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 09-Oct-12 16:13:07

I've been listening to R4 on and off all day and didn't catch any reference to ants or grashoppers.... Maybe if you were to precis the general plot?

MrsWembley Tue 09-Oct-12 15:07:32

What, no-one?hmm

MrsWembley Tue 09-Oct-12 14:02:19

Actually, just wondering if anyone else will make the connection that I did, after listening to R4 a few minutes ago...

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 09-Oct-12 14:00:47

After you...

MrsWembley Tue 09-Oct-12 13:50:44

Discuss.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now