Louise Mensch resigns...

(319 Posts)
propercharlie Mon 06-Aug-12 09:38:21

too hard to balance famaily life sad

FalseStartered Mon 06-Aug-12 09:39:51

she was never in it to represent her constituents, she's moving to New York to live the high life with her DH

good riddance

propercharlie Mon 06-Aug-12 09:41:01

Whatever you think of her, I'm dreading the "look ladies, told you! You cant have it all" nonsense that is about to hit the media...

FalseStartered Mon 06-Aug-12 09:42:54

she's never been taken seriously as an MP anyway, it's been obvious she was one of the 'celebraTory' candidates

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 06-Aug-12 09:43:57

I like her, but her husband lives in the US so it was always going to be very hard to make it work.

LostInWales Mon 06-Aug-12 09:44:57

Remember her on HIGNFY? She has never come across as very intelligent. I for one won't miss her popping up spouting bollocks all over the media.

EdithWeston Mon 06-Aug-12 09:48:21

When a male MP stands down to spend more time with his family, one assumes a terrible scandal is about to break, despite the examples where nothing comes to light.

It'll be interesting to see if this stereotype is also used for her, or if a different one is chosen.

ovariantryst Mon 06-Aug-12 09:50:01

I once read Career Girls on a plane as I was really, really bored and it was a freebie with a magazine. Probably the worst thing (hard to call it a book) that I'd ever read. However, at least she was honest about issues such as drugs, her past when working for Sony etc etc. I'll miss her (but for the love of all that's holy I hope she doesn't go back to being a 'writer').

Whatever you think of Louise Mensch, her resignation is high profile and will be discussed and trawled over by media. If she cites 'too hard to balance family life' as her reason then this only serves to highlight further how damn difficult it still is for women with children to maintain a career.

This is GOOD. We need these discussions to facilitate women who want to continue to take leading roles in the workplace after having children and equalise the opportunity for women vs men when they become parents. How often do you hear a man citing family life/balance as a reason for quitting a political/high flying career?

FalseStartered Mon 06-Aug-12 09:53:30

she's using that as a red herring IMO, the family life reason i mean

she's a feminist too, doncha know hmm

tribpot Mon 06-Aug-12 09:57:07

I agree with propercharlie - the entire event is certain to be taken out of context. I'm assuming the nature of her DH's work made it impossible for him to be based in the UK (which you would assume was her preference not just for her own career but for her children's sake) and so a decision was reached which I hope is mainly fair to her children, assuming their father is still based in the UK.

And that's it. Nothing need be turned into a mini media storm about how women are unelectable because they put family before work or any of that shite, but it will all follow regardless.

iseenodust Mon 06-Aug-12 09:59:18

False If her DH lives in NY, then why is family life a red herring?
not her biggest fan but I think it was good for young women to see that they could be an MP without being male and 40 (also Sarah Tether).

FalseStartered Mon 06-Aug-12 10:00:59

yup, it will be taken out of context, she's playing the 'poor little lady' card (much to my own personal disgust) but locally she is seen as a joke MP

no need for the media to say anything, she has set the seeds herslef sad

CharminglyOdd Mon 06-Aug-12 10:02:47

Actually the first thing I thought of was an imminent scandal rather than the having it all thing. Not sure what that says about my mentality grin

FalseStartered Mon 06-Aug-12 10:05:40

still, silver lining is she won't have time for any more game shows smile

Vagaceratops Mon 06-Aug-12 10:08:41

She just seems to spend a lot of time pouting - she reminds me of VB.

IMO Stella Creasy is one of the best females MP's. Her work against PDL companies should be applauded.

BornStroppy Mon 06-Aug-12 10:08:46

Well, it IS HARD!!

I wake with chest pains sometimes. 5 days a week working, 2 hr commute, I have a cleaner and a very supportive mother and husband and I am pregnant, could do without this working nonsense. Do any of you feel as though you get enough time with your family?
Shes a crap writer and lightweight politician but fair play to her. Id love to resign.

HellonHeels Mon 06-Aug-12 10:09:33

Can't wait until she sinks from view.

SpeckleDust Mon 06-Aug-12 10:10:07

I didn't realise she was the 'writer' Louise Bagshawe.

Shit, I hope this doesn't mean she'll have time to go back to writing dreadful books again.

Tommy Mon 06-Aug-12 10:10:26

I agree - she's never really been a serious politician at all. I always follow Merton and Hisplop's judgement on such characters and they clearly thought she was dreadful on HIGNFY grin

Metabilis3 Mon 06-Aug-12 10:12:11

@propercharlie Exactly. I bet there's nary a mention of the husband living in New York.

porcamiseria Mon 06-Aug-12 10:12:59

after that twitter thing I dont bloody blame her

death threats against her children, noone deserves that

I am sure she will have a more peaveful and chilled time

ThePan Mon 06-Aug-12 10:17:30

Well this is is going to be a loss, isn't it?

I feel quite sad that the focus of this thread so far has been doubting her political credibility and jibes about her being a joke politician.

IMO it is a good thing that we have had a high profile young woman in politics. It is also a good thing if the discussion centres around the viability of successful young women pursuing careers after having children.

Metabilis3 Mon 06-Aug-12 10:20:22

@missmavis but this case isn't an example of the issue of women with children having careers. It's the issue of women with careers and children marrying men who live thousands of miles away in a different continent and then being surprised its not easy. Completely different thing. But it will be used as another stick to beat the rest of us with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now