If your 17 year old wanted to take a day off school to attend the student funding march on Wed would you condone it

(243 Posts)
mrswoodentop Mon 08-Nov-10 21:49:37

What it says really,ds1 ,17 ,very politically aware wants to attend.Its a school day,independent school so I need to write to say we are authorising him to have a day off.

Dh violently against ,very angry with me for even thinking about it ,treats ds like a naughty little boy.I am more ambivelent,I am proud of him for feeling strongly (dh thinks that because he wouldn't go on his own that he just wants a day off school with his friends),I think that this issue is going to have a profound effect on his life and in a way I am quite proud of him for wanting to have a voice, also proud because he has thought carefully about the issues and wants to hear both sides and yes he wants to experience something big ,something new,to be there if you like.But and and its a big but he has to have day off school,he's not a definate oxbridge candidate ,his grades aren't perfect he can ill afford to miss a lot of school,but one day? I don't know,dh has said no and he's agreed so I suppose its over but perhaps we are doing him a diservice (sorry not sure of spelling)

AitchTwoOh Mon 08-Nov-10 21:51:05

i would, tbh. and there is nothing wrong with him wanting a day off to protest with his friends, comradeship and community is at the heart of everything this govt wishes to attack.

at 17 i think it would be great of you to respect how he feels and allow him to take part!

it's only one day!

AitchTwoOh Mon 08-Nov-10 21:52:10

anyway, he's 17. that's nearer a man than a child, for sure. he shoudl decide for himself.

let him go

Jaquelinehyde Mon 08-Nov-10 21:53:39

I would be very happy to allow a day off school for it as long as there is a real understanding about what he is marching for.

In fact I would be quite proud!

Well, depending on what exactly he'd be missing at school (mock exams or whatever) I'd let him go. Are many of his schoolfriends going?

reddaisy Mon 08-Nov-10 21:54:16

Yes I would condone it and I think once they are over 16 and their educational choices become theirs alone then I think the decision is entirely up to him.

If he wanted to leave college tomorrow he could without your or your DPs permission.

I admire him for standing up for something he believes in.

I would.

StewieGriffinsMom Mon 08-Nov-10 21:54:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

onadietcokebreak Mon 08-Nov-10 21:55:47

Definately would let him.

jemimapotts Mon 08-Nov-10 21:56:37

Let him go. He's going to be affected by the increase in fees. I'd be proud of any child of mine wanting to protest against such injustice.

Just13moreyearstogo Mon 08-Nov-10 21:57:32

I would and I'm normally very strict about time off school. I'm wondering why your DH is so adamantly against it.

ayjayjay Mon 08-Nov-10 21:57:44

Yes I think I would condone it. As you say this issue will affect him personally and I think he deserves a chance to have his voice heard.

You say yourself that he is politically aware so it seems to me that he is not just looking for a free day out. I'd be much more sceptical if he had never shown an interest in politics and current affairs before now.

jemimapotts Mon 08-Nov-10 21:59:20

Hopefully alot more students are going to be politicised by this.

ChasingSquirrels Mon 08-Nov-10 22:02:10

tbh at 17 I wrote my own letters to school if I wasn't there (post sickness).
I certainly wouldn't have been asking permission to do something like this, although I would have informed my parents out of courtesy.

Although my parents weren't paying for my school, that maybe makes a difference?

fluffles Mon 08-Nov-10 22:02:20

i would condone it.. but i would have him write the letter to the school about why it's impotant to him then i'd countersign it in agreement.

Hassled Mon 08-Nov-10 22:03:15

Oh definately yes. Let him go - this stuff will really matter to him. I'm sure Oxbridge would be far more impressed with someone with opinions and action than a dullard.

tethersend Mon 08-Nov-10 22:05:27

I think you should be very proud of him- well done.

mrswoodentop Mon 08-Nov-10 22:07:52

Might be proud of him but dh won't move ,he thinks it shows a lack fo support for the school and that this is a harsh lesson that he might want to do something but has to understand that it is a school day and that commitment comes first and above all else .As far as he is concerned its a school day...fullstop

I would let him - andgo with him if he would let me grin

ravenAK Mon 08-Nov-10 22:09:45

He's over school leaving age; his choice.

I would suggest he writes a brief note to the pastoral bods or whoever monitors attendance, to explain that he will not be in school & why.

(& I'd be very proud of him indeed smile).

ChippingIn Mon 08-Nov-10 22:11:19

I think you should let him go. He's 17, it's an important issue.

Do you always let DH have the final say hmm

serenity Mon 08-Nov-10 22:11:39

Yes absolutely. His education, his choice.

usualsuspect Mon 08-Nov-10 22:12:16

I wouldn't even think that a 17 year old needed permission to go..

I would be proud of him

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now